Australian Tourist Visa Application

Thank you David48 and other contributors to this topic. The information contained here-in was very useful. Until reading some of the latter posts I was unaware that an application for a tourist visa subclass 600 could be done on-line through the Immigration and Border Protection website. I am reporting on my girlfriends application;it may encourage others to try this route.

Application was made on 05/01/15 and visa was granted on 09/01/15. The conditions are the usual ones of 8501, no further stay; 8108, no work and 8301 maximum of 3 month study. No problems with conditions, all that was needed for being a tourist. The process was quite simple; Application Form filled out. The following day, my girlfriend was contacted via phone by a Thai speaking lady from Bangkok, asked some questions and then told what documents were required to be uploaded to the department's application and a time limit of 7 days for that to be done. In her case information needed was as follows:

-Cover page of her passport

-Copy of cover page of my passport

-Copy of Thai ID card

-Copy of House Book (Note : I was given this to scan etc. but forgot to do so and it never got sent)

-Photographs to show family members and of us together over a period of time. ie. longer time relationship

-Letter from myself stating, nature of relationship and over what period of time.

what she was presently doing (not working, caring for ageing parents)

living together for 12 months

purpose of visit (tourism) and that she would be returning to Thailand

I was fully funding her visit and that we would be together whilst in Au.

proof of ability to fund; ie copies of deposits on hand in Au. bank, credit card limit, proof of regular monthly income (account numbers crossed out) and that she would have full comprehensive travel insurance

No certification of documents was required.

As all cases are different, they will tell you what documents are needed when they contact you.

Make sure that you are ready to pay the application fee when you first submit the application, otherwise you start again (Only about 5 minutes to re-fill in form)

Along the way I learnt that being not very good with technology and the internet, that the site was a bit difficult to navigate in going back to where information is given as to how to re-size documents etc. I spent a long time trying to work it out (about time I came into the latter half of the latter part of the 20'th century let alone the 21'st). Be aware that there is a 5MB limit on what you can upload. Do the really important stuff first. For the photos I printed about 25 of them onto a single sheet and then scanned and uploaded that; Photos then only took up about 750KB.Note also that the site also prefers that all uploading is done at the same login, however due to not being finished by 1am, it was completed the next day. (the girlfriend did have missed calls from the lady in BKK, probably just to tell her that not all information had been submitted).

All in all not too hard a process and worthy of going down this path if your Thai friend is after a visitor visa subclass 600.

Thanks for the info and i will try this when i'm back for my wife.

I understand that you did not translate your papers from Thai to English, Is this correct?

Hi Merijn,

I forgot to scan the house book which was probably in Thai, so the department never got that, even though it was asked for.. The Passport and ID card are in both English and Thai ; in her case there was nothing that needed translating. My understanding is that once application is submitted the applicant (in your case your wife) will be contacted by the department, (in my partners case, by phone) and told what is required to be submitted . Perhaps let your wife know that she will probably get a phone call from immigration (and not to stress about it when she does) very quickly after submitting on-line. If something that is written solely in Thai is requested, then ask while on the phone if translation is required. I was pleasantly surprised at how quick the process was.

Hi Merijn,

I forgot to scan the house book which was probably in Thai, so the department never got that, even though it was asked for.. The Passport and ID card are in both English and Thai ; in her case there was nothing that needed translating. My understanding is that once application is submitted the applicant (in your case your wife) will be contacted by the department, (in my partners case, by phone) and told what is required to be submitted . Perhaps let your wife know that she will probably get a phone call from immigration (and not to stress about it when she does) very quickly after submitting on-line. If something that is written solely in Thai is requested, then ask while on the phone if translation is required. I was pleasantly surprised at how quick the process was.

Hi Retdent.

Thanks for the information.

I will do her application when i'm back home and tell her to expect a phone call.

She is enough experienced for not to stress out that easily specially if it is a Thai person who calls.

I have the marriage and house books translated so i think that i will attach all papers at the application stage just to make it easier.

Even tough she could provide her own financial information i will use the sponsor route as it is easier to include my salary statements which is more then enough.

Finally received notification that our visa application has been granted. Very pissed off after reading @ Retdent's report.

We applied on the 27th Dec. on 6th Jan we received a request for 2 items, TW was asked for a letter from me confirming that I supported her and a copy of a KasikornBank Internet Statement showing transfers to her account which I forwarded immediately. Then a week + of waiting??? This will be her 12+ trip to Australia since 2001.

Edited by bdenner

Just a hint, her 1st trip - When going through Immigration bring her with you through the Australian Passport Holders section, doesn't matter that you have an electronic passport and can use a machine. It will be more comfortable for her to have you close rather than being alone in the International queue. There will be no problems from the officers - from my experience.

EDIT: And quicker

Edited by bdenner
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used the online application system yesterday for the first time, in applying for my Thai wife's Visitor Visa (subclass 600). I finished uploading all the supporting documents at about 5PM (on a Sunday), and my wife received the emailed Visa Grant Notice (i.e., approval) shortly before midday today from the Aust. Embassy Bangkok (on Australian Day incidentally).

As background, my wife has visited Australia with me around 10 times during the last 13 years. We uploaded the usual ID and marriage documents, as well as a copy of a chanote, evidence of rental income, iBanking printout covering the last 6 months, and my Thai work permit. Approved by the embassy without any phone calls or emailed queries. I hope that now that she has a file in the online system, that any future visa application approvals will be just as fast.

• Like 1

I used the online application system yesterday for the first time, in applying for my Thai wife's Visitor Visa (subclass 600). I finished uploading all the supporting documents at about 5PM (on a Sunday), and my wife received the emailed Visa Grant Notice (i.e., approval) shortly before midday today from the Aust. Embassy Bangkok (on Australian Day incidentally).

As background, my wife has visited Australia with me around 10 times during the last 13 years. We uploaded the usual ID and marriage documents, as well as a copy of a chanote, evidence of rental income, iBanking printout covering the last 6 months, and my Thai work permit. Approved by the embassy without any phone calls or emailed queries. I hope that now that she has a file in the online system, that any future visa application approvals will be just as fast.

That's really interesting - having the approval done on a Public Holiday - not that I'm casting any doubt, my wife's current visa was granted same day, and it was done the old way via VFS...

Just out of curiousity, when did your wife's last visa expire?

Great info which makes me hopeful.

Quick question, did you translate the documents to English when you uploaded them.

We didn't provide any documents that we specifically translated into English for this visa application. The tabien baan and chanote were uploaded in Thai. (Our marriage certificate was issued in Singapore so was already in English).

We didn't provide any documents that we specifically translated into English for this visa application. The tabien baan and chanote were uploaded in Thai. (Our marriage certificate was issued in Singapore so was already in English).

Great, My (Thai) marriage certificate is translated and the rest i can upload like it is then.

• Like 1

Indeed, I was also very surprised of receiving the approval on an Aust. public holiday. My wife's previous visa expired in October last year.

Great bit of info..

I have a feeling (and no I don't consult with tarot readers on Khao San) but this seems to be a common denominator (not the psychics on Khao San) but applying within a few months of the expiry of the previous visa.. Especially if circumstances (travel patterns) haven't changed...

• 2 weeks later...

Just one question about leaving Australia. We got a 3 months visa, but no must "depart by date" stamp like they do in Thailand. Plus the visa is 3 months NOT 90 days, so does that mean she can leave on any day of the 3rd month?

Just one question about leaving Australia. We got a 3 months visa, but no must "depart by date" stamp like they do in Thailand. Plus the visa is 3 months NOT 90 days, so does that mean she can leave on any day of the 3rd month?

3 months from the date of arrival.

That doesn't answer my question.

She must leave before the 3 month anniversary date. So if she arrived on the 1st of Januaray, she needs to leave before the 1st of April... To make the most of the 3 months, don't arrive during a 3 month stint that incorporates February..

• Like 1

She must leave before the 3 month anniversary date. So if she arrived on the 1st of Januaray, she needs to leave before the 1st of April... To make the most of the 3 months, don't arrive during a 3 month stint that incorporates February..

lol well that's exactly what happened. February was right smack in the middle.

Oh well ,thank you, you answered my question, we're all booked to come home. We both miss Thailand anyhow. biggrin.png

Always check the applicants financial debts and her responsibilities to her family thais want to help their families but at the same time will drag you down if you have a child with her she will leave you with the major responsiblity and will focus on helping her own problems with herself and back home and leave you with the all the headaches as I am in that situation now, thai ladies are smart and will do anything to manipulate the you to get a visa to come here as it presents more opportunties for them and their family.

Always check the applicants financial debts and her responsibilities to her family thais want to help their families but at the same time will drag you down if you have a child with her she will leave you with the major responsiblity and will focus on helping her own problems with herself and back home and leave you with the all the headaches as I am in that situation now, thai ladies are smart and will do anything to manipulate the you to get a visa to come here as it presents more opportunties for them and their family.

Ummm... Hardly too many opportunities for such malfeseance on a tourist visa... I would also dare say your description above is not exclusive to Thai women nor representive of them either, unfortunately...

• Like 2

Just a feed back about my wife's online application.

She submitted her application on Friday 7 Feb and received her visa on Monday 16 Feb, No questions or phone calls.

I did not wait with attaching the documents but did this straight at the application stage.

I attached the following, Marriage certificate, House books, Financial details, Letter from myself explaining the holiday, Flight tickets, Hotel booking.

All in Thai without any problems.

She received a multiple entry visa for 3 months.

I have to say that i'm very impressed with the service and that a lot of countries (are you listening Holland) can learn something from this online system.

• Like 1

I'm applying for Aust visas for our neices and nephew who have lived with us for the past few years and would like some advice. One of the girls has already visited Australia in 2012, together with my wife who has been 3 times now.

The five of us plan to travel early April and will stay with my sister.

I'd appreciate any advice with the application, below are some of the info that will be included:

- Photos

- Form 1257 Undertaking Declaration (to be completed by my sister)

- Form 1229 Consent Form (signed by mother)

- School documents to show the kids have been living with us.

I'm also concerned about any requirements from Thai immigration for departure? Thanks.

I'm applying for Aust visas for our neices and nephew who have lived with us for the past few years and would like some advice. One of the girls has already visited Australia in 2012, together with my wife who has been 3 times now.

I'd appreciate any advice with the application, below are some of the info that will be included:

- Photos

I'm also concerned about any requirements from Thai immigration for departure? Thanks.

Whoever has legal custody for the children can write a signed letter that can be presented to Thai immigration on request confirming you are authorised (quoting your passport number) to take the children out of the country. With the letter have a copy of their Thai ID and phone number.

• Like 1

- Photos

Whoever has legal custody for the children can write a signed letter that can be presented to Thai immigration on request confirming you are authorised (quoting your passport number) to take the children out of the country. With the letter have a copy of their Thai ID and phone number.

Thanks, that's helpful. We were planning on this and also going to the Amphur to have the letter authorised, as this would help show it's genuine.

My wife has been googling regarding kids departing without parents. Apparently local amphurs have (or should have) a specific form to fill out and it can only be authorized at the relevant amphur. There are a lot of complaints that the amphurs don't have or know anything about the forms.

Also, for the parents Consent Form (1229), they ask for a certified copy of the ID card. Does anyone know where this can be done? Thanks.

My wife has been googling regarding kids departing without parents. Apparently local amphurs have (or should have) a specific form to fill out and it can only be authorized at the relevant amphur. There are a lot of complaints that the amphurs don't have or know anything about the forms.

Also, for the parents Consent Form (1229), they ask for a certified copy of the ID card. Does anyone know where this can be done? Thanks.

Hi Smithson, where are you based?

The Australian Immigration says the following:

Who can certify a copy of a document?

Any person or agency recognised by the law of the country in which you live can certify documents. All our offices outside Australia have a person who can certify or witness documents. You might have to pay for this service

The Australian Embassy can do it in Bangkok

Not very helpful but as a general rule any lawyer, any registered Australian Migration Agent.

For stat dec's it is much clearer.

http://www.ag.gov.au/Publications/Pages/Statutorydeclarationsignatorylist.aspx

I am based in Phuket and happy to assist if that helps?

Thanks for the help. The ID card was certified at the local Amphur. Initially the official refused to do it, saying it wasn't necessary for an Aust visa. The parents went back the next day and said they'd been refused, only then would he certify it.

We also got an official form from the Amphur authorizing my wife to take the kids out of the country.

The forms ask if anyone has helped the applicant, however only a few close relatives are allowed to help (which doesn't include me). So I'm not sure what to put when it asks if anyone has helped?

Also, question #17 is a bit funny:

What is the purpose of your stay in your current location and what is
your visa status?

Do I just put 'Thai resident'? This seems a bit funny because the prior question is about citizenship.

Thanks!

Edited by Smithson

My (Thai) wife and I are going to Australia next month.

We have been married for more than 20 years and she has been to Oz with me many times.

In the past we have usually done the visa by submitting forms etc initially at the embassy or VFS office in the "Trendy Office Building" (love that name).

We don't live in Bangkok now and I noticed Thailand is now included in the list of countries listed by VFS (but not on the Australian Embassy info), where you can do the application online.

However, when I got about 40% of the way through, it told me I could not submit the application online and will need to go to a local desk at the Udon Thani Post Office (where we live) and submit it there for couriering to Bangkok.

I know you cannot do an e-Visa, but does anyone know if you can submit a normal Visit Visa on line from Thailand ?

My (Thai) wife and I are going to Australia next month.

We have been married for more than 20 years and she has been to Oz with me many times.

In the past we have usually done the visa by submitting forms etc initially at the embassy or VFS office in the "Trendy Office Building" (love that name).

We don't live in Bangkok now and I noticed Thailand is now included in the list of countries listed by VFS (but not on the Australian Embassy info), where you can do the application online.

However, when I got about 40% of the way through, it told me I could not submit the application online and will need to go to a local desk at the Udon Thani Post Office (where we live) and submit it there for couriering to Bangkok.

I know you cannot do an e-Visa, but does anyone know if you can submit a normal Visit Visa on line from Thailand ?

My wife submitted her Tourist Visa (subclass 600) application online last week. It's taken a bit longer than the VFS submit in person but this is probably due to the initial process not allowing her to submit all the normal documentation with the initial application. This was rectified today so expect a result within the next week.

What I find frustrating (almost embarassing) is that my wife can apply (and receive) a 10 year tourist visa for the USA that is only slightly more expensive than a one year tourist visa for Australia and going through the same song and dance every year is cumbersome at best. It's bad enough that we go through it with the Thai authorities when I have to extend my visa. Karma perhaps? :P

The process for the USA visa was also a lot quicker, given that her previous 10 year visa had expired within the 6 months prior to applying for a rewnewal.

But I digress...

• Like 1