Jai Dee

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so let me get this right

1: you go to the shop fill out a form and thats it?

and they will be able to collate all these forms and firgure which sim hasnt been registered by 31/12 and turn them off?

even Telstra here in australia would struggle with something like this and there are around only 20 mil people in Aus

It's sometimes difficult to know for sure where the sarcasm ends and the serious replies begin on this forum but I find it hard to believe anyone could think that Thaksin is going to cut off his paying customers for not complying with this obvious attempt to get the names and numbers of everyone living in this country. The poor excuse that they are trying to determine the owners of telephones used to detonate explosives in the south is ludicrous. I am sure that anyone evil enough to set off a bomb is also evil enough to steal a phonoe rather than use their own. I will be shocked and amazed if a single phone is cut off for not registering. I have no intention of registering so I will let you know my personal results.

:o

:o This is a great example of how helpful Thai Visa can be without it being some personal saga of tragedy in this wonderful Kingdom...I was somewhat unaware of the need to do this although had heard vaguely about it...many thanks to whomever for alerting me to this registration process as would have found myself phoneless....a great example of the Expat community providing services for one another...encouraging to know that there are people who understand the need for support/community in a time of total selfishness and greed...has made my day...with gratitude.. :D

didn't ask me to ring him or to see the actual sim card. Curious.

Hi all,

Why would they want to inspect the SIM card? What advantage would it be to you to give a bogus number? If you give a bogus number (even accidentally), and assuming the the warning is genuine, your actual SIM would still get shut off after 1 Jan 06. On the other had, suppose didn't want to be traced back to your number for whatever reason, nothing to prevent you from paying a mototaxi guy a few baht to register it for you.

I don't like to give up "civil liberties" but have to admit that it feels a bit ominous knowing that, a terrorist could plot over his mobile, do his dirty deed, and then throw the phone away, all anonymously. :o

I registered my AIS 1-2 Call SIM at Take-A-Whiz (I mean Teleawhiz :D (sp?) at Big C. in Khon Kaen City. You register your SIM with your provider or one of their agents. In this case, presumably, Telewhiz is the AIS agent. If your SIM is Orange, you go to Orange or one of their approved agents . . . etc.

The one thing about the process (quick & easy enough) that concerned me is that they did not give me a receipt (confirmation). If a clerk makes a data entry error for loses my registration form, and AIS subsequently shuts my SIM, I have no proof of registration. Oh, well. It would be too logical and too easy to have a two-part form with the customer retaining one part as proof. TIT! :D

Aloha,

Rex

I'm also worried about proof of registration. I took my phone to the DTAC shop at the Korat Mall when the registration program first started. The woman who did it didn't really seem to know what she was doing and I came away wondering whether or not my SIM was really registered.

I really began to wonder when, about a week ago, Ms. B received an SMS message from DTAC telling her that her SIM was registered.

I received no such message.

So, I still wonder. Is my phone registered, or not?

It's sometimes difficult to know for sure where the sarcasm ends and the serious replies begin on this forum but I find it hard to believe anyone could think that Thaksin is going to cut off his paying customers for not complying with this obvious attempt to get the names and numbers of everyone living in this country. The poor excuse that they are trying to determine the owners of telephones used to detonate explosives in the south is ludicrous. I am sure that anyone evil enough to set off a bomb is also evil enough to steal a phonoe rather than use their own. I will be shocked and amazed if a single phone is cut off for not registering. I have no intention of registering so I will let you know my personal results.

If I remember, the cut-off date for registering in the South was 2-3 months ago, and once the date arrived they did the cut-off. But, TIT, they cut-off EVERYONE, registered or not.

There were bombs before mobile phones, and if someone is smart enough to make a bomb they'll certainly be smart enough to make it explode one way or another. Yet another stupid Thai government idea that wasn't thought through. :D

didn't ask me to ring him or to see the actual sim card. Curious.

Hi all,

Why would they want to inspect the SIM card? What advantage would it be to you to give a bogus number? If you give a bogus number (even accidentally), and assuming the the warning is genuine, your actual SIM would still get shut off after 1 Jan 06. On the other had, suppose didn't want to be traced back to your number for whatever reason, nothing to prevent you from paying a mototaxi guy a few baht to register it for you.

I don't like to give up "civil liberties" but have to admit that it feels a bit ominous knowing that, a terrorist could plot over his mobile, do his dirty deed, and then throw the phone away, all anonymously. :o

I registered my AIS 1-2 Call SIM at Take-A-Whiz (I mean Teleawhiz :D (sp?) at Big C. in Khon Kaen City. You register your SIM with your provider or one of their agents. In this case, presumably, Telewhiz is the AIS agent. If your SIM is Orange, you go to Orange or one of their approved agents . . . etc.

The one thing about the process (quick & easy enough) that concerned me is that they did not give me a receipt (confirmation). If a clerk makes a data entry error for loses my registration form, and AIS subsequently shuts my SIM, I have no proof of registration. Oh, well. It would be too logical and too easy to have a two-part form with the customer retaining one part as proof. TIT! :D

Aloha,

Rex

What I did to get confirmation of my registration was to ask a photo copy of the application once it is completed. It will show the name and date of the person who took the application at their authorized outlet. :D

I am in the uk, there is 3000 baht credit on my DTAC Card, any way i can register it from over here, website etc, as i need the phone once i get to Bangers in Feb, maybe my Thai family could register the sim for me, give someone a back hander, any ideas guy's.

What's the ranting all about? many countries you need to register a pre-paid SIM, in Germany fotr example you need to show your I.D. (or passport if foreigner) and then it will take several hours for it to be electronically registered... before that is done you can not even use it!

Here the procedure is painless, you go to the outlet of your network provider (AIS, Orange, D-TAC or Hutch shop), show your passport, national I.D., driving license or ANY kind of identification that has your picture and name on it, tell them your phone number (or show the SIM of which they will note the serial number), sign a form (which is in thai) and you're done.

I did it with AIS, D-TAC and Hutch. AIS wanted to know my phone number only, and made a copy of my passport (AIS shop Central World, 3rd floor).Took 5 minutes.

D-TAC was happy with my (german!) driving license, but wanted to see the SIM - impossible since i had mine cut off to fit in a twin-SIM module, so they too accepted the number only AND VERIFIED IT by calling me, here i did NOT need to sign anything as it was directly entered into a computer (D-TAC shop Central World, 6th floor). Also it took little under 5 minutes.

Hutch wanted to see my passport and wrote down the passport number on a form, along with the phone number. I then signed that form, done. One minute (Hutch shop Mahboonkrong, 4th floor).

I received an SMS in thai from Hutch verifying that my number was registered, that happened just about two weeks ago (i had it registered a few months ago already). From D-TAC i received a similar SMS which even mentioned a service number to dial (*121 or something like that) and upon dialling it, it was (in english!) confirmed that my number was already registered.

Absolutely no hassle, didn't cost a Baht, and i can rest assured that my numbers will still work on january 2nd. I don't use AIS anymore, so i don't know if they attempted to send a SMS too...... the account expired because i seldom used it.

regards.....

Thanh

Just to say that Orange has sent me no messages or warnings whatsover in English or Thai about the upcoming deadline on my Orange prepay phone.

The Orange shop did say that if I register my name (I haven't yet), that it will be possible to recover my phone number if I lose the phone∼ in another taxi, otherwise you have to get a new number and notify all your friends. If this is true, that would be one real benefit from all of this, albeit not by choice.

When i was in Thailand, was given a cheapo mobile and prepaid sim after lsing my own when a little tipsy. Guess it will not be of any use to me when i return in June :D

So I suppose I will have to buy a new one and register it when I come back :o

Sent an e-mail to DTAC this morning and had a reply, more or less straight away, saying when i come out to Thailand in Feb, i can still register my Sim card at any dtac office in Bangkok. so i will try this, lets hope this works.

I will also print this e-mail off and take with me to there office.

So I popped into Telewiz at Tesco-Lotus on Sukhumvit today, The girls are all still as lovely as ever, shame they have to pass that single brain cell around all day.

I asked, after adding 1000 baht to my 1-2-call, "Do I need to register"??

she replied, "you want to register"??

I said- "If I dont register do you cut me off"??

she replied, "you want to register"??,

I said " do I NEED to register"??

she replied, "you want to register"??

I said, (In Thai) Do I have to register??

She replied, "Mai Kha, mai mee pen haa"

So I went ahead and registered, didnt see her put it into the computer or anything, attitude seemed to be "Mai per Arai" its just Taksinication.

Seems to me that its a joke anyway, the idea is it will stop terrorists using mobile phones????, crazy then how will they bet on the FA cup???

regards

Freddie

Bad!!! I'm curently outside of Thailand! Does somebody know whether or not I can do the registration later? I don't want lose my number, I have already since 5 years! (The SIM-card is a 12call) I think I go to Thailand in March 2006. Or somebody knows a e-mail adress from 12call, where I can sen a mail and ask for my problem? Thanks for an answer!

Here the procedure is painless, you go to the outlet of your network provider (AIS, Orange, D-TAC or Hutch shop), show your passport, national I.D., driving license or ANY kind of identification that has your picture and name on it, tell them your phone number (or show the SIM of which they will note the serial number), sign a form (which is in thai) and you're done.

I did it with AIS, D-TAC and Hutch. AIS wanted to know my phone number only, and made a copy of my passport (AIS shop Central World, 3rd floor).Took 5 minutes.

Hutch wanted to see my passport and wrote down the passport number on a form, along with the phone number. I then signed that form, done. One minute (Hutch shop Mahboonkrong, 4th floor).

I received an SMS in thai from Hutch verifying that my number was registered, that happened just about two weeks ago (i had it registered a few months ago already). From D-TAC i received a similar SMS which even mentioned a service number to dial  (*121 or something like that) and upon dialling it, it was (in english!) confirmed that my number was already registered.

Absolutely no hassle, didn't cost a Baht, and i can rest assured that my numbers will still work on january 2nd. I don't use AIS anymore, so i don't know if they attempted to send a SMS too...... the account expired because i seldom used it.

No need to be too precise about it... when registering, no ID was asked for...

they simply recorded the following:

Phone Number: ## ### ####

Name: John Smith (the all-time classic alias)

Passport Number: 987654321 (thought 123456789 would be too obvious)

Home Country: Ceylon (hint... it's no longer a country)

all duly noted to a smiling face and a happy "Thank You"

That'll be a heck of a security system they'll have based on this database...

Well anyway... John Smith from Ceylon is registered... so all is well....

No need to be too precise about it... when registering, no ID was asked for...That'll be a heck of a security system they'll have based on this database...

:D Well anyway... John Smith from Ceylon is registered... so all is well....

Now you have done it, Ceylon John !!! :o The ######ing terrorists :D will be queued up around the block at that shop 24/7 to register their SIM's !!! Now, what am I going to do ??? :D

Aloha,

Rex, from Peoples Democratic Republic of Boingo

Bad!!! I'm curently outside of Thailand!  . . . can do the registration later? I don't want lose my number, I have already since 5 years! (The SIM-card is a 1-2 Call)

Mr. Pit,

Sriracha John posted earlier that the various providers and outlets seem to have different levels of security and require different kinds of documentation. Lucky you have 1-2 Call. My experience was the same as John's; show passport, and tell phone number, but that's all. AIS does specify that you are supposed to bring your SIM with you, but as I said, I can't see what advantage it would be to register a number other than the one you want to protect from being switched off.

Anyway, apparently you can just ask one of your friends over here to do it for you.

Aloha,

Rex

Sriracha John posted earlier that the various providers and outlets  seem to  have different levels of security and require different kinds of documentation.  Lucky you have 1-2 Call.  My experience was the same as John's; show passport,

Just to clarify, nothing was shown at the shop... no ID, no passport, not even my County Public Library card...

I wished I had used "Peoples Democratic Republic of Boingo", then it would at least show up in their database that they have 2 users from this fine nation.