House Builder

krobert6

Since most building in Thailand is done by Thais for Thais wouldn’t it make more sense to network among Thais? Talk to people in your area. The word will soon get out that you are in the market to build a house and builders will start approaching you on their own or through an intermediary. Go look at their previous builds and one in progress, to get an idea of what they are capable of.

If as a previous post implies, you feel the need to be protected from the Thais in your life and don’t want them involved then I would suggest rethinking your plans to build. There is no way you can pull this off entirely on your own without the help or involvement of Thais so may as well start with them.

• 1 month later...

I act as an intermediary between "Farangs" and Thai construction, supply and machinery companies. If you want a house build, buy supplies or need a reliable company that provides good machinery (Cranes etc), please send me a PM and I will send you my contact details. We have contacts in every business and we make sure that everything is running smoothly without the Thai "we can do this tomorrow" attitude.

Just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Rendering is finished inside and well on the way outside. I am in Oz as my wife visits the site daily and gives me reports.

Selected all the main items like tiles, toilets extractor fans rtc before I came back to Oz to reduce the stress on the wife :)

Edited by krobert6

hope you get the doors to farang height.

Photos look good. Looks like a sensible moderate construction style.

In contrast, my next door neighbor, a Thai cop, is building a gargantuan thing, very ostentatious (surprise?!), particularly on a policeman's salary, ha ha.

It's big enough for a hotel, and uses several large teak trees worth of wood. Add to that, he has the workers milling and rendering the wood on-site, so I get electronic motor sounds for many moons, 7 days a week. Ah, Thailand. If it ain't dog noise, it's some other loud noises.

Plus, giant ultra-heavy/thick concrete beams, where modest sized beams would suffice. Another typically Thai building style.

hope you get the doors to farang height.

Photos look good. Looks like a sensible moderate construction style.

In contrast, my next door neighbor, a Thai cop, is building a gargantuan thing, very ostentatious (surprise?!), particularly on a policeman's salary, ha ha.

It's big enough for a hotel, and uses several large teak trees worth of wood. Add to that, he has the workers milling and rendering the wood on-site, so I get electronic motor sounds for many moons, 7 days a week. Ah, Thailand. If it ain't dog noise, it's some other loud noises.

Plus, giant ultra-heavy/thick concrete beams, where modest sized beams would suffice. Another typically Thai building style.

lol - yes, the doors are all 2 metres, except for the toilets. Very high ceilings as well.

I drew the plan for the architect and told him I wanted a simple frame house in the bungalow style as I do not like all these multiple roof structures. I wanted the house to be liveabl on the inside - not pretty from the outside.

I see so many Thaii houses with their lounge room doors opening onto the street - must be a prestige thing - I went for the views from the living areas.

The most noise I get (apart from the roosters) is the odd flatbed carrying eggs from the farm

Thanks for the comment

Edited by krobert6

During the eight months or so that it took to build our place we took one very brief trip, to Bangkok I think. That was enough to motivate us to stay onsite for the rest of the build. I can’t imagine what it must be like to have a house built while you are out of the country.blink.png

• Like 1

During the eight months or so that it took to build our place we took one very brief trip, to Bangkok I think. That was enough to motivate us to stay onsite for the rest of the build. I can’t imagine what it must be like to have a house built while you are out of the country.blink.png

What can one do though? things to do in Oz.

Wif reported today that the ceilings wee being installed and we ere nearly ready for the electrician - she is so excited

What can one do though? things to do in Oz.

Wif reported today that the ceilings wee being installed and we ere nearly ready for the electrician - she is so excited

Good luck and hope you are happy with the results.thumbsup.gif We were lucky and we are still friends with our contractor nearly five year on. Edited by villagefarang

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates but there is really nothing to complain about with this build. ( from my side, the builder is complaining that the will not make much though icon_smile.gif)

My wife gives me bi-daily reports and I have a chat with the builder.

The render is finished as is the ceiling and they are painting inside and out with quality Beger, tiles are being laid, soil (20 truck loads) is being brought in to start the landscape process.

Still cannot get a photo and await the builder to send to me.

Completion date now 30th, an expected slip of 3 weeks

I finally managed to get some shots of the house progression ( rather than just verbal updates from the wife :))

Seems to be progressing really well with only 1 week till completion.

She is very excited - as am I

post-1983-0-06067100-1338005551_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-94119800-1338005560_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-44232200-1338005568_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-88270500-1338005577_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-09729500-1338005590_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-86685700-1338005599_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-97530900-1338005612_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-03403900-1338005622_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-83322300-1338005631_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-92951800-1338005641_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-73883100-1338005653_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-39852300-1338005665_thumb.jp

post-1983-0-97593400-1338005674_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Since I am also interested in building a house, do you mind sharing the cost of the house including labor and materials?

I originally was looking for a small build at around b600k but went a bit overboard with size - the house is now20 metres long, 10 metres wide and7 metres high with 12 foot ceilings.

I had quotes from 4 builders 3 came in around 1.25 to 1.5 million baht the one (very professional ) came in at 1 million (no kitchen cabinets), the land is my wifes and the house is receipted as paid by me. I think it is a bargain.

Due to the fact I had to come back to Australia whilst the house was being completed I went for a full package delivery ( for the house that is not the electricity poles, bore water, landscaping or fence).

The builder did an excellent job and the wife has moved in today - I will post shots of the completed house when she sends them.

The electrify poles were 15k, bore was already there so just a pump at 7k, landscaping around 7k and no idea about the fence yet (I will sort that out when I return next month)

Edited by krobert6

Your house look much like my g/f brother's house in Bandu. He also spent million baht on his one rai land. It's a three bedroom house two bath with high ceiling and big kitchen. I think his house is big smaller in dimension but big enough for his wife with no children.

I am looking forward to seeing the completed version of your house and lot of inside pictures..

Edited by mikekim1219

Your house look much like my g/f brother's house in Bandu. He also spent million baht on his one rai land. It's a three bedroom house two bath with high ceiling and big kitchen. I think his house is big smaller in dimension but big enough for his wife with no children.

I am looking forward to seeing the completed version of your house and lot of inside pictures..

I hope to get some shots today or tomorrow and I will post then

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

a Thai realtor told me, years ago (still valid info?), that farang can own improvements on the land, even though (as you know) we can't own the land itself in a farang name. Hopefully, you'all won't break up, but such things happen, and I bet few farang know their rights. Incidentally, I assume 'improvements' could also include water well, water tower, garage, out-buildings, electric poles & wire, ......,

lol - yes, the doors are all 2 metres, except for the toilets.

Yes, apparently people shrink as they approach the toilet so same height's not needed.....

Mikekim.....I've PM'd you

Edited by cheeryble

lol - yes, the doors are all 2 metres, except for the toilets.

Yes, apparently people shrink as they approach the toilet so same height's not needed.....

Mikekim.....I've PM'd you

I did not receive your PM