Do You Ever Ride Without A Helmet

nattydread

In my case I KNOW I don't have the ability to ride like the guys in the videos. I've had too many narrow misses and more than a few low speed accidents to know what road rash feels like. Right now I've been nursing a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder for the past 3 months.

Last year I ran over a small black dog at night on my Phantom and broke its back. I had to finish it off by strangling it to death with my hands. That was NOT a pleasant experience. For some strange reason I managed to keep the bike upright. However, I'd sure hate to hit anything at 70 kmph or more. There are valid reasons why I always wear a helmet... even one of my crap ones. And, just to back up what I wrote I had two previous Thai girl friends who died from head injuries after a simple, low speed accident... but no helmet. Both lovely young ladies were in their early twenties. I could post photos of them but that would be inappropriate.

I'd LOVE to ride like there was no risk, but reality and mortality starts to seep into the cranium after a while. If I ride like a pussy now it's because I've learned what happens when the unexpected happens.

A couple of weeks ago coming back from Mae Rim at night I was waiting at a red light, along with about 6 or more other riders. I was at the front of the row and took off quickly as the light changed to green, but I still wasn't quick enough. A rider on a big bike came roaring past at high speed and blew right by us all. He was obviously timing his pass as the light turned green. Had any one of us moved slightly off our direct path there would have been a REAL mess. But, I see that all the time. I pass others, but only when it's reasonably safe to do so, but sure notice a lot of risk takers.

a speeding pickup took the mirror off our bike once when me and my gf were sitting on it waiting for a light to go green so we could make a right turn at the intersection at jatujak /ladphrao rd (we were in our own lane ) , talk about a near heart attack

another time i was on the er6n and a speeding car flew past so close it ruffled my jacket sleeve

now when i want to make a right turn i position my bike in front of a large vehicle or some deterrant ,you cannot trust people to keep in their own lanes

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember one night years ago ,i was coming back to bkk via nothaburi and very tired from driving all day and also nearly hit a Mxthxr Fxxxkxxg ELEPHANT on the road around midnight !!!

my wife thought i was jokeing when i told her but hitting an elephant at 120kmph on a motorcycle is not going to be a win for the motorcycle or any other vehicle biggrin.png

You will also lose a lot Tam Bun if you crash into an elephant. 120kmh is dangerous on most unlighted thai roads at night imho. TukTuk or elephant, you will definitively not win.

a speeding pickup took the mirror off our bike once when me and my gf were sitting on it waiting for a light to go green so we could make a right turn at the intersection at jatujak /ladphrao rd (we were in our own lane ) , talk about a near heart attack

another time i was on the er6n and a speeding car flew past so close it ruffled my jacket sleeve

now when i want to make a right turn i position my bike in front of a large vehicle or some deterrant ,you cannot trust people to keep in their own lanes

A lane is always big enough to keep a motorcycle AND a car. You should not endanger the road fellows with mirrors that protrude or clothing that isn't tight-fitting. Hard to see such things at higher speeds wink.png

Edited by wantan

one thing I try to avoid at all costs is being last in a line of stopped traffic, I've seen way too many rear ends caused by people on mobile phones etc, and when I say seen I mean it happened in slow motion right in front of me, pickups slaming into the back of cars riding up and ending upsidedown in the flood channel, in my time hear I've personally seen 10 of these events and looked on wondering if I had been the last vehicle in the line I'd be dead for sure, a couple of them I've watched the driver looking at his/her mobile and never new what hit them, some looking up at the last moment but too late, I am never ever last in the line or even in the line for that matter I always try to be up the middle somewhere of at the front

could happen anywhere, you could right now get up from your computer desk trip over your cat and be on the way off your balcony from the 40th floor - hope you were wearing a life jacket......could never happen in Thailand lol

are you serious

I'm not a particularly good bike rider, but one thing I do, do well is anticipate potential hazards and danger zones. I've learned you can NEVER trust anything that other drivers and riders might do. For the unexpected I always wear my helmet. The funny thing about all my accidents on motorcycles, and including the ones in Canada, I have yet to hit my head in any of them. It's always been bumps and scrapes on my body and legs.

By coincidence I passed by a motorbike accident scene Thur night on 3rd Rd in Pattaya. Victim wasn't wearing a helmet, lying on the street lifeless, pool of blood under his head.

It was unnerving. I'm gonna reach for my helmet and put it on now while I finish reading the latest posts in this forum.

I wore a very good integral helmet when I had my "fall down accident" because the rear brake had locked up on a sandy ground.

It didn't protect my leg and 270 kg destroyed my tibia head plus some other bones. Shouldn't have gone to a hospital in lower north east though...jap.gif

could happen anywhere, you could right now get up from your computer desk trip over your cat and be on the way off your balcony from the 40th floor - hope you were wearing a life jacket......could never happen in Thailand lol

are you serious

OK can you work out the probability of this happening especially as I don't live on the 40 floor? Understanding risk involves understanding the inherent hazard, the probability ( possiblity)

of an untowards event happening, the consequences of that event and the steps you can take to eliminate or reduce the risk. Your scenario is frankly absurd.

Edited by msg362

I wore a very good integral helmet when I had my "fall down accident" because the rear brake had locked up on a sandy ground.

It didn't protect my leg and 270 kg destroyed my tibia head plus some other bones. Shouldn't have gone to a hospital in lower north east though...jap.gif

Moral of the story- get off the rear brake!!!

• Like 1

Moral of the story- get off the rear brake!!!

i use the back brake, in conjunction with the front of course :)

how did it just lock up ? what was the bike ?

270kg is a big lump of a bike to come down on your hip with momentum :(

This is an advantage of riding an automatic transmission scooter. Your feet and legs are in front of you. Years ago, I went down and my foot was against the exhaust pipe. I still have the scar.

This is an advantage of riding an automatic transmission scooter. Your feet and legs are in front of you. Years ago, I went down and my foot was against the exhaust pipe. I still have the scar.

Riding in shorts and flip flops? coffee1.gif

About as bad, running shoes and shorts. cool.png

are you serious

OK can you work out the probability of this happening especially as I don't live on the 40 floor? Understanding risk involves understanding the inherent hazard, the probability ( possiblity)

of an untowards event happening, the consequences of that event and the steps you can take to eliminate or reduce the risk. Your scenario is frankly absurd.

exactly lol

Ask BBBkk, he has an answer to your accident: Its always your fault! laugh.png

That's correct, that's what Thai people say.hit-the-fan.gif

OK, if thai people say that...

cheesy.gif

" Its always your fault! " reminded me of working in Qatar, if a Qatarian person hit your vehicle rear end, or whatever it was your fault, there law for foreigners was you shouldn't be there. huh.png

Here near our village a Thai guy drove a car out from the right into the side of an farang friend on the main road passing the turning, when help was called the police were acepting the fact that the farang didn't try to stop. laugh.pnglaugh.png

• Like 1

Ask BBBkk, he has an answer to your accident: Its always your fault! laugh.png

That's correct, that's what Thai people say.hit-the-fan.gif

OK, if thai people say that...

cheesy.gif

" Its always your fault! " reminded me of working in Qatar, if a Qatarian person hit your vehicle rear end, or whatever it was your fault, there law for foreigners was you shouldn't be there. huh.png

Here near our village a Thai guy drove a car out from the right into the side of an farang friend on the main road passing the turning, when help was called the police were acepting the fact that the farang didn't try to stop. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Same thing happened to my ''Thai'' relative in his new Vigo, broadside. Police came and it was his fault cos he didn't come from that part of the country shock1.gif . Now isn't that the most stupid <deleted> thing you ever heard (motoring wise, that is).

It would seem that many people don't fully understand why you should wear a helmet.

Firstly most accidents happen near the home - so "just going to the shop' isn't an excuse.

then it's the protection offered by a helmet.

most accidents are at slow speed and slight, but a tap to the head at these speeds ca kill. Many people don't even realise that their hat has just saved their life - all they felt was a bit of a bump on the side of the head - a glancing blow - but without the hat this could have been fatal or disabling.

imagine if you smack your head on a low ceiling walking up a staircase - this is below the speed that most accidents happen, but if you then fell off a chair and hit your head on the concrete steps it could crack your skull - none of this involves speeds anywhere near those on even the slowest motorbike. Many people die at home after falling over and hitting their head on furniture or a floor.

In a direct impact a helmet will not help - but it is not direct impacts that they are designed for - it is protection against the glancing blows involved in leaving you bike and reaching a halt.

PS - any talk about costs of keeping someone alive after wearing a hat in a crash as opposed to no hat is just so obviously rubbish it is not worth even arguing against as it completely misses why helmets are sworn - I would suggest no report exists - total fantasy.

Edited by cowslip

But thai people say: Its your fault to have an accident. And its your fate if your head gets broken in the accident. You have to accept this.

Not possible to discuss on this level. Farangs have to accept this wink.png

But thai people say: Its your fault to have an accident. And its your fate if your head gets broken in the accident. You have to accept this.

Not possible to discuss on this level. Farangs have to accept this wink.png

actually no they don't - like all other people in the world they have a full range of thoughts and opinions on the matter.

could happen anywhere, you could right now get up from your computer desk trip over your cat and be on the way off your balcony from the 40th floor - hope you were wearing a life jacket......could never happen in Thailand lol are you serious
OK can you work out the probability of this happening especially as I don't live on the 40 floor? Understanding risk involves understanding the inherent hazard, the probability ( possiblity) of an untowards event happening, the consequences of that event and the steps you can take to eliminate or reduce the risk. Your scenario is frankly absurd.
exactly lol

I understand your motto now and will follow your advice!

if you don't wear a hat you are not only doing yourself a disservice but also all those you know and love, the hospital and emergency services, all of us who have to pay insurance premiums and basically society at large. How small-minded do you want to be?

Edited by cowslip

if you don't wear a hat you are not only doing yourself a disservice but also all those you know and love, the hospital and emergency services, all of us who have to pay insurance premiums and basically society at large. How small-minded do you want to be?

Strongly agree, these guys have just rode into our village on their Harleys with no helmets just scaves, would you believe it, I'm not hiding behind the keyboard anymore I'm just gonna go and tell them they are pea brained, stupid idiots for not wearing HATs. angry.png

post-87530-0-59403000-1331628724_thumb.j

Edited by Kwasaki

mate they won't even acknowledge your existance because you have a real motorbike, a lot of these harley riders I have found to be hostile towards true motorbike owners as opposed to their modified noise making shopping trollys, not all but quite a few I have found like this, I suppose when you ride a 1300cc throw together noise maker on wheels that can be outpaced by a CBR250 then somethings gona give lol

Strongly agree, these guys have just rode into our village on their Harleys with no helmets just scaves, would you believe it, I'm not hiding behind the keyboard anymore I'm just gonna go and tell them they are pea brained, stupid idiots for not wearing HATs. angry.png

post-87530-0-59403000-1331628724_thumb.j

But HAT to them means a silly little beanie, completly useless. Notorious conformists, Harley riders.

Harley riders dont need to wear helmets because they are noisy ,attention seekers riding purely posing vehicles for people who want to fit a certain stereotype

they (the bikes) are overweight ,overpriced ,stone aged ,corner as well as a tuk tuk and they dont really have much use except for travelling in a straight line at low "cruising "speeds

why anyone would be scared of someone just because he rides a harley is beyond me ....:)

let the flames begin hit-the-fan.gif

Yep, this is why this forum is called "Tough guys touring on big bikes (>600cc; no Harleys) in Thailand".

OK, now i forgot it, what was the topic of this thread?

Oh, i remember :)

Biker groups seem to be a good example for peer pressure and fear of losing face. One group of Harley riders, noone wearing a helmet. The other group of "racing bikers", all wearing the most expensive helmets. Same cause, different effect.