Why Are There So Many Americans In Chiang Mai?

BookMan

I don't really mind the yanks. But a chill runs down my spine when they sit near me in a restaurant and I have to listen to them SHOUTING at each other.

When I left the States in 1992, I was not fully aware of how annoying this can be. But after being in Asia this last 20 years, I also get a chill running down my spine every time I encounter this tendency among my fellow countrymen.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to hear each other across the prairies when rustling cattle, but I have noticed large groups of most nationalites tend to be very loud.

I come from the Northeast section of US where I thought every one talked normal with a lot of body language and hand movement --- Well I realy have to laugh because when I came to Thai I found out/realized that guess what? I was talking loud! I have since seen the light and have been converted!!

• Like 1

Simple. Us yanks figured out where the Russians, Indians, and Arabs were pouring into, then picked a location where they were not. When signs and TV channels in Chiang Mai start changing to Russian and Arabic, we'll move on.

That may be true but I have been told they move here for the possibility to sit next to a Brit at a bar and experience (and maybe learn) some of that famous sense of humour, irony and sarcasm while being briefed on geography and learning to speak proper (but not loud) English.

As long as the Brit is from an area where they are able to pronounce the rhotic R, otherwise the Yank may have no idea what the Brit is talking about... smile.png

We have to hear each other across the prairies when rustling cattle, but I have noticed large groups of most nationalites tend to be very loud.

+1 The last part is so true!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

"In other tourist places, Hua Hin, Koh Chang, Samui, Phuket, Bangkok I heard nowhere near this number as a percentage of foreigners".

Haven't you compared the prices?

The answer is pretty obvious.

Not to mention that Chiang Mai offers things that none of those places has. Why would an American move to Hua Hin when he can move to Florida or Mexico for the same, and likely better beaches? Not to mention for the same or better prices.

Thailand has a retirement visa at age 50 with no pension. Mexico ... doesn't.

Mexico has had about 40,000 murders in the past five years ... avoiding getting caught up in a Drug Lord shootout is not always an option... Only a fool would retire to Mexico these days as violence is everywhere - not just along the border with the U.S. - it is just not reported as much - Tourism 'ya know ...

• 2 months later...

Mexico has had about 40,000 murders in the past five years ... avoiding getting caught up in a Drug Lord shootout is not always an option... Only a fool would retire to Mexico these days as violence is everywhere - not just along the border with the U.S. - it is just not reported as much - Tourism 'ya know ...

JDGruen:

Well, going by your figures - for which I don't have a source - less than 1% of the population is murdered. Of that 1%, certainly a significant majority are criminals or have some connection to the drug trade, and the vast majority of innocent bystanders are people of a lower socio-economic status living in areas of high crime. Given that well over 100,000 Americans go there a year and over 700,000 US citizens live there and yet I don't believe we typically hear of Gringos getting caught up in drug wars (and I don't think US journalists I are going to protect the Mexican tourism industry: it's much better to report on murder and mayhem, if possible), though some DO - perhaps it almost always is an option to avoid the drug war. Indeed percentage wise, MUCH more Americans are murdered in the US than in Mexico.

My parents have lived there for about 30 years (though they do spend about 3 months every year traveling to other continents). Neither they nor any of their dozens of long time resident friends or Mexican friends has gotten caught up in a Drug Lord shootout.

More US expats live in Mexico than any other country in the world, I believe. All fools?

PS: I wish your case were sound; I'd prefer my parents (who, going by the fact that they achieved enough in life that they could retire in their 40's and live pretty much how they wanted, are perhaps not completely foolish) lived here - but they love their home in Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

I think most of the animosity towards Americans is plain jealousy, The Euro-trash portrays us as being uneducated products of poor public schools; many of the Americans in CNX are graduates of the top university systems in the world. Thailand was easy for me because I have California and DC connections. I could go on, but I wouldn't want to speak loudly. The Canadians seem to be quick to trash us, also.

post-37570-0-00034100-1365294495_thumb.j

I think most of the animosity towards Americans is plain jealousy, The Euro-trash portrays us as being uneducated products of poor public schools; many of the Americans in CNX are graduates of the top university systems in the world. Thailand was easy for me because I have California and DC connections. I could go on, but I wouldn't want to speak loudly. The Canadians seem to be quick to trash us, also.

Are you serious? Please explain what California and DC connections has to do with making Thailand "easy" for you or anyone else.

What does the picture of Marlboros indicate?

I am not trying to be funny. I am interested in your reasoning.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

You claim

"Thailand was easy for me because I have California and DC connections"

I don't follow your logic. Sorry all I have is an American education.

I have met so many American bullshit artists who are looking for 'venture capital' when their credit cards get maxed out here its unreal.

Right so I'm not just sponsoring your easy lifestyle, this baseness will make a fortune........right.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have met so many American bullshit artists who are looking for 'venture capital' when their credit cards get maxed out here its unreal.

Right so I'm not just sponsoring your easy lifestyle, this baseness will make a fortune........right.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have you meet any that are not American?

MSPain

• Like 1

In Chiang Mai they are called Eurokwai, not Eurotrash.

I think we get the best of the Americans here.

Ouch! Hats off to your sly put down. smile.png

Honestly wasn't meant to be a put down - all countries have a scale of people from those that a darn right dangerous and frightening to the saints - all I meant is that in the States it tends (by my limited experience) that those that leave the home for pastures new are from the top end (as I reason that in many cases there is little need for locals to leave the country given that they can get everything from Alaska winters to Miami summers and all in between without having to leave) - and I mean top end in their personality traits rather than the wealthy end (I have met both rich and poor here). In other, smaller, and/or countries with less to offer by way of holiday/retirement destinations, the same cannot usually be said. If anything, it was meant as a compliment for those Americans I have met and befriended here over the years - of which only one I would now avoid (and several who have left, that I miss).

• Like 1

I still can't get over the OP comment: "One thing i noticed, was the amount of American accents. Whether in the hotel, at a bar, walking the markets, I would hear American accents. (Some might have been Canadian)."

They give themselves up at the first "aboot" (vs "about"), eh?

• Like 2

Are you serious? Please explain what California and DC connections has to do with making Thailand "easy" for you or anyone else.

What does the picture of Marlboros indicate?

I am not trying to be funny. I am interested in your reasoning.

MSPain

The Marlboro man was an American invention. In one study of the most influential men real and imaginary in the 20th century

he was voted the most influential man.

I would like to offer up one other reason for an American moving to Thailand. America is paranoiac it has become a land of fear of it's own shadow. Here in Thailand a person is expected to be able to take care of himself.

Kind of the spirit engendered by the Marlboro man and torn down by Chaney. I am an American by birth but have feelings more of being a citizen of the world. Because an American was given more opportunities than a Thai or any other nationality for that matter to get an education. education it in no way makes him a better person. Also it is not always superior or even equal to other forms of education. When I was considering retiring to another country Uruguay was on my list it had a higher literacy rate than the states,

What changed your mind from retiring in Uruguay?

I was considering it.

The reason I choose Thailand is one of those things that mean nothing at the time but change your whole life. It is an interesting story but not one I would share here on TV. Possibly with some of the people I have been in communication with on the personal messages.

Ouch! Hats off to your sly put down. :)

Honestly wasn't meant to be a put down - all countries have a scale of people from those that a darn right dangerous and frightening to the saints - all I meant is that in the States it tends (by my limited experience) that those that leave the home for pastures new are from the top end (as I reason that in many cases there is little need for locals to leave the country given that they can get everything from Alaska winters to Miami summers and all in between without having to leave) - and I mean top end in their personality traits rather than the wealthy end (I have met both rich and poor here). In other, smaller, and/or countries with less to offer by way of holiday/retirement destinations, the same cannot usually be said. If anything, it was meant as a compliment for those Americans I have met and befriended here over the years - of which only one I would now avoid (and several who have left, that I miss).

Well and good, but I hope you understood too what I meant by taking it to be a put down . . . which it still is for me, however unintended by you. :)

Ouch! Hats off to your sly put down. smile.png
Well and good, but I hope you understood too what I meant by taking it to be a put down . . . which it still is for me, however unintended by you. smile.png

OK, sorry for the offense then - can't really see how one could construe being called "the best of [their] nation" as disparaging, so I'll chalk it up as language barrier I guess - I would see that as a compliment; one would have to be somewhat delusional to believe that their (or any) nation is filled with only the mostly loveable of people, therefore there will always be the good, the bad and the ugly (and it is the "good" that I commented on seeing most here from your particular nation).

Edited by wolf5370