Why Are There So Many Americans In Chiang Mai?

BookMan

I once heard that there are upwards of 40,000+ missionaries in CM...guess which country in the world is known to be the biggest export "thumper".....

What do you mean by "thumper?"

My guess is "bible thumper'. I have met many of these around the world & they have all be from the USA.

Yes. One of our least desirable exports.

David

They are actually some of the most pleasant expats in Chiang Mai.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no time for evangelist's, but having said that I'm not rude to them because I've never had one be rude to me.

Yeah, I have a problem with them going into different cultures, but they're following biblical instructions from the boss and trying to 'win souls for the Lord', so their strength and conviction is probably much stronger than those trying to stop them.

Careful now. One of them might be our next president! w00t.gif

Ahhh..Romney is a Mormon. They use the Book of Mormon.

From a distance, they all look alike to me. Except for the Hari Krishnas. I love the haircut. biggrin.png

David

Edited by Genericnic

I have no time for evangelist's, but having said that I'm not rude to them because I've never had one be rude to me.

Yeah, I have a problem with them going into different cultures, but they're following biblical instructions from the boss and trying to 'win souls for the Lord', so their strength and conviction is probably much stronger than those trying to stop them.

Yes, but wouldn't other areas be more of a priority - war torn areas or areas with religions that are in direct "competition" with theirs?

Or areas with lots of sinners like San Francisco or NYC. I don't think New Yorkers will be as polite as a thai would be in saying no though :)

I live in Chiang mai because it is a great place to live not because the US is all that bad because it isn't. Some would like to go back to the good old days which is now the 1950s at one time the good old days was the 1890s, some people can never be happy where they are at or when they where.

Good luck to all that live here because where you are from is bad because eventually you will see all the bad in Chiang Mai

• Like 1

Yes, but wouldn't other areas be more of a priority - war torn areas or areas with religions that are in direct "competition" with theirs?

Or areas with lots of sinners like San Francisco or NYC. I don't think New Yorkers will be as polite as a thai would be in saying no though smile.png

Personally, I don't think any area is a priority - I wish they would stay away from everyone and leave them to pursue whatever they want, without having the fear of hell installed in them. It's wicked.....it's especially wicked to instil such horrific fears into children and should carry a child cruelty charge. I don't think places like NYC or San Francisco have more sinners than anywhere else, because I don't believe in the concept of sin, so I cannot buy into sin being geographically based. How a person says no to a caller is up to them. As I said, if they are not rude and just cold calling like any other sub standard salesperson, I would just say 'no thank you, tried it and didn't like it - bye'...........no need for anything more.

• Like 2

As an American, these are a few of the reasons that I am here:

1. Police are not on every street corner.

2. Taking an airplane does not require you to have your privates fondled by a pervert.

3. The corruption in Thailand is much lower than in America.

4. The women are not ashamed to be a woman nor act like one.

5. The women on average are 25k smaller.

6. Problems can usually be resolved without a lawyer and huge expenses.

7. Healthcare is much cheaper tho not as good.

8. 0bama bumper stickers are nowhere to be found.

My country seems to be having a few problems lately.

As an American that is retiring to Thailand in less than three years, I qgree with all of the above. I will be retiring to Issan though and not Chang Mai.

Please repeat number 3 again. Huh??

Again (although this topic was little discussed, on topic), I must mention that 'Americans' - citizens of the U.S.A. - outnumber Brits 5 or 6 fold and Aussies and Canadians many more times than that. Of course, costs of travel must figure into the thinking (i.e., folks from Oz should be over represented somewhat, Kiwis too).

Where we stub our toes in such a discussion is related to any magnetism that might exist specifically between 'Ami's' and Chiang Mai. Commonly, folks speak of weather - and with some embarrassment, how cheap it is. Sex-pats of various interests and cheap Charlies aside, however, there are the difficult questions of how to measure those who are out-of-sorts with their own nations, the disaffected and the alienated, of which we can find examples above. It's pretty easy to determine this type here on this forum by their thinking, as they tend to exhibit unhappiness with Thailand as well. (Thing is, when you go somewhere, you take yourself along, in spite of all efforts to pretend otherwise - wanting to pair up with a little, subservient, and approving (at least at first) mate might be a symptom of personal insufficiency, for example.)

My theory is that these American expat arrivals have seasons: 1) Those who figured the Iraq War was too terrible to contemplate (anti-Bush and so forth) or 2) Those who find the administration of Obama far too 'nanny' for them. That is, we'll have some idea, in part, who will come to us after the presidential election in the States next November. That's not to suggest that simply the great number of citizens in the U.S. combined with Cheap Charlie-ness is not primarily the explanation for those of us USians here, and we may not be here in statistically excessive numbers at all.

Edited by CMX

I don't believe most American retirement expatriation to Thailand is politically motivated. I think a lot is economically motivated. Many millions of American baby boomers have been forced off employment before normal expectations and Thailand is one of the few nations in the world they can go as young as age 50 and with moderate wealth levels.

Majority of the baby boomers you mention will not be coming to Thailand or going any where else, most are afraid to travel and have done very little over the years. Include family ties grand children, the majority of americans will not leave no matter how pissed they are any government incharge. Most of the Americans I have met here in Chiang Mai had a history of international travel and living in Thailand or other countries before retireing here. For the ones who do retire internationally will do so to Mexico as they can fly home for medical care as medicare doesn't cover you out of country. Many leave for many reasons mostly money and cheaper expenses, but there still isn't that many compared to those who stay home. Many of the boomers who may have been forced off the payroll do not even know where Thailand is located Edited by moe666

I liked the one reason for moving to Thailand from the states cops on ever cornor. I am 66 years old and have never seen this in any of the cities and states I have lived in usually to lazy to get out of their patrol car and stand on the cornor. But really a cop on ever cornor a bit paranoid I think.

• Like 1

Why are so many who post on this site so vehemently anticlerical?

Like UG above I've found missionaries whom I have met in Chiang Mai --- and not all Americans (and certainly not 40,000 in number in Chiang Mai!) very pleasant and helpful people.

On the other hand, the preoccupation with "God" in American political platforms and in political speeches seems intrusive to me.

Why are so many who post on this site so vehemently anticlerical?

Like UG above I've found missionaries whom I have met in Chiang Mai --- and not all Americans (and certainly not 40,000 in number in Chiang Mai!) very pleasant and helpful people.

On the other hand, the preoccupation with "God" in American political platforms and in political speeches seems intrusive to me.

My view is that religionists that aggressively try to convert people who don't believe in what they believe are indeed obnoxious by definition.

+1

David

Yes, I agree missionaries are helpful and pleasant, but you wouldn't be converted by some grumpy son of a birch, who wouldn't give you the time of day would you?. It's their job in life to be nice, it's what they live (and die) for and I don't doubt their sincerity. However, IMO only, once you have been 'hooked' by all the niceties, then you are delivered the gut wrenching stuff and will be committed to believe in all the hellfire, eternal damnation and a big brother watching your every move 24/7 AND as so eloquently put by Chris Hitchens 'you can even be convicted of a thought crime', which is just about as wicked as it gets especially when children are forced to believe it.

'You can even be convicted of a thought crime.' Remember the grief President Carter got for admitting to "lusting in his heart?" Fundamentally (no pun intended), all religion whether mainstream or cult is based on mind control. How else do you get someone to believe in the "invisible man?"

I never trust anyone that tells me they have the "truth," especially if it comes from the invisible man.

Just my $0.02 worth.

David

Edited by Genericnic
  • Like 1

For the young, its pretty popular for the burning man crowd, and hippy New Yorkers and SFers and stuff to do massage and yoga courese in Chiang Mai.

I think Americans look more for cultral experinces, not all, but a little more than average. I say this becasue there is some westerners from some countries only interested in a Tan and relaxing a bit more.

Thats been my experince.

Thai massage and Yoga are both massive in the west coast of the USA.

Thai massage and Yoga are both massive in the west coast of the USA.

Yes, I've seen all those classified ads there; " beautiful 19 year old Thai girl gives sensual massage....call ding dong for more information".

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

I had the misfortune to be trapped on the Riverside boat in Chiang Mai with a bunch of Americans who decided singing Jesus wheezer songs was a good idea; a bunch of jaapies at the other end joined in, with me and some Thai friends caught in the middle.

The bunch of inconsiderate w**kers completely ruined the night.

If I hadn't had company I would have told them all the shut the f*** up, and probably turned to Satanism.

• Like 1

My theory is that these American expat arrivals have seasons: 1) Those who figured the Iraq War was too terrible to contemplate (anti-Bush and so forth) or 2) Those who find the administration of Obama far too 'nanny' for them. That is, we'll have some idea, in part, who will come to us after the presidential election in the States next November. That's not to suggest that simply the great number of citizens in the U.S. combined with Cheap Charlie-ness is not primarily the explanation for those of us USians here, and we may not be here in statistically excessive numbers at all.

Most of the Americans I know in CM stayed here after Vietnam.

It's kind of an interesting discussion, leaving aside the various belly aching comments.

I worked in the USA all my life, and traveled just for vacations to Mexico, Canada and a lot of countries in Europe. And in all those travels to other places, I never even thought of living outside the U.S. or moving to another country. Probably because, it's just not something most people do. And even when I traveled to those other countries in past years, I wouldn't see or hear of a lot of Americans living there.

But in later years, when I began visiting Thailand strictly as a tourist because I had Thai friends in the U.S. and they encouraged me to go, it began to dawn on me for the first time that I actually could live in another country, because I saw and read online in places such as ThaiVisa that there were lots of Americans and other country's residents doing so.

It was only then that the light went on and I began to seriously consider the merits and feasibility of moving and living here...and eventually worked out a plan that has allowed me to do that successfully, at least thus far.

I don't think Americans are adverse to international travel at all... although, it's certainly more expensive and time-consuming compared to someone in Europe who can just hop on a train and cross the border to a variety of other countries.

But, if you're an American with all the different lifestyle options and varied locations that the U.S. has available, I guess there has to be something compelling to make you want to consider a different country. For me, it was the chance to retire early and still live in a comfortable, urban lifestyle in BKK somewhat like I had been accustomed to back home. ( And of course, the women... smile.png )

• Like 2