Why Are There So Many Americans In Chiang Mai?

BookMan

But, if you're an American with all the different lifestyle options and varied locations that the U.S. has available, I guess there has to be something compelling to make you want to consider a different country. For me, it was the chance to retire early and still live in a comfortable, urban lifestyle in BKK somewhat like I had been accustomed to back home. ( And of course, the women... smile.png )

A good honest answer, you just left out how cheap and available these things are.......especially the women (oh and the boys). wink.png

Oops forgot, you left out temples.

Edited by uptheos

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you chose to highlight "the women" part of my answer, and not highlight the "retire early" part.

At least for me, the "retire early" in a comfortable place part was the compelling reason. "The women" part was just icing on the cake. thumbsup.gif

But what I was trying to get at more broadly was, I think, the psychology of most Americans...even those that have traveled abroad widely such as myself. I think most of us just don't ever think of or consider the options for living in another country.

If I hadn't happened to become good friends with some Thai expats living in Southern California, I'm sure the idea never would have even crossed my mind, and I'd still be living back in the States now.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Make the break....

it's a helluva decision for many. Get off the "earning and yearning" merry-go-round that we are born into and buy into, being in the USA. Once i decided that enough WAS enough, it was quite simple to understand that i could not maintain a reasonable lifestyle in USA on my meager pension. SO i started looking elsewhere. At the end of the day i am here and have not regretted it for one minute. Part of it was economic, part of it is that i LOVE hot weather and another part is the (to me) very accommodating culture. Was fairly straightforward and simple, but i had to make the decision.

AND an abundance of McDonald's, lucky chap. thumbsup.gif

"One thing i noticed, was the amount of American accents. Whether in the hotel, at a bar, walking the markets, I would hear American accents. (Some might have been Canadian). Seemed to be a lot of ex pats and also a lot of younger backpackers."

I don't think there are that many Americans here, they are just louder than most folks so it seems like it.

Ooops! cowboy.gif

I think we notice what we are not as familiar with. That's why people always notice other races etc. So I notice a more Australian accents though I'm not really sure I'm around more of them than Americans.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe most American retirement expatriation to Thailand is politically motivated. I think a lot is economically motivated. Many millions of American baby boomers have been forced off employment before normal expectations and Thailand is one of the few nations in the world they can go as young as age 50 and with moderate wealth levels.

Majority of the baby boomers you mention will not be coming to Thailand or going any where else, most are afraid to travel and have done very little over the years. Include family ties grand children, the majority of americans will not leave no matter how pissed they are any government incharge. Most of the Americans I have met here in Chiang Mai had a history of international travel and living in Thailand or other countries before retireing here. For the ones who do retire internationally will do so to Mexico as they can fly home for medical care as medicare doesn't cover you out of country. Many leave for many reasons mostly money and cheaper expenses, but there still isn't that many compared to those who stay home. Many of the boomers who may have been forced off the payroll do not even know where Thailand is located

I still think there are lots of Americans moving to Chiang Mai and other parts of Thailand because bottom line they are economic refugees from a historically horrible economic meltdown. I beg to differ about awareness of the expat options. Retiring abroad is regularly reported in the media. Thailand along with Ecuador is one of the few countries in the world lower wealth level Americans, especially under pension age, can escape America and go to. Cuenca Ecuador and Chiang Mai attracts similar kinds of American expats and they are seeing these economic refugees there, same as in Chiang Mai. I am not saying all or even the majority of American expats in Chiang Mai are economic refugees, certainly not the missionaries of course, just a healthy segment which are.

Carlos Alvarez, a Cuenca developer who worked for 15 years in Miami, says one of the reasons for the falling sales to gringos is that more of them are renting. “This makes sense, of course, to get to know the community before you buy. Another reason for this, however, is that many of the newer gringos cannot afford to buy even if they want to. Many of them, unfortunately, are part of the group we hear referred to as economic refugrees.”

Elizabeth Cowans, a British demographer who has been a visiting profesor at two of Cuenca’s universities, agrees with Alvarez. “As a sideline to my teaching, I have been following the expat community here for almost seven years and I can safely report that it has changed dramatically in the past two or three years,” she says. “To be blunt, as a group, the more recent exapts are older and poorer, and this obviously affects real sales.”

Cowans says that some of the change can be attributed to publications and websites such as International Living, which have promoted Cuenca for its low cost of living. "It's fair to say that they grossly misrepresent the situation," she says. "On the other hand, the bad economy has created some desperate people who are willing to do anything --and go anywhere-- to survive."

According to Alvarez, there has been a boom in traditional rental demands among the expat community. “Until recently, almost all the gringos were renting turn-key units that were furnished and included the utilities in the rent. Now, my friends in the real estate business tell me that many of them are looking for traditional, unfurnished units with a one or two year lease.”

http://www.cuencahighlife.com/post/2012/09/28/Cuenca-real-estate-development-continues-at-record-pace-although-sales-to-gringos-declines.aspx
  • Like 1

I read one post where the person thinks the "majority of American expats are economic refugees," lol.

Not sure which person said such a thing.

What I said:

I think a lot is economically motivated. (as opposed to politically motivated by running away from Bush/Obama/Romney)

I am not saying all or even the majority of American expats in Chiang Mai are economic refugees, certainly not the missionaries of course, just a healthy segment which are.

As far as most Americans in Chiang Mai being able to retire anywhere in the world, I don't really see how that can be true. The vast majority of global nations offer no retirement visa option at all. Also many if not most of the countries with visa options require pensions that are well above the maximum USA Social Security benefit (only a tiny percentage of Americans get the maximum). Of course those with private pensions PLUS social security could qualify. Accept it or not, Thailand offers one of the retirement programs in the world that is available to lower wealth level people. Also Thailand is quite unusual in offering a bank account qualification option. Most retirement visa destinations have no such option. Interestingly, Ecuador does, if you tie up 20K USD in a bank account there (less but not much less than Thailand's 800K baht), you can't touch it, but you can be on a rather quick path not only to retirement status but even permanent residence status.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Simple. Us yanks figured out where the Russians, Indians, and Arabs were pouring into, then picked a location where they were not. When signs and TV channels in Chiang Mai start changing to Russian and Arabic, we'll move on.

Are comments such as this really neccesary?

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 2

Simple. Us yanks figured out where the Russians, Indians, and Arabs were pouring into, then picked a location where they were not. When signs and TV channels in Chiang Mai start changing to Russian and Arabic, we'll move on.

That may be true but I have been told they move here for the possibility to sit next to a Brit at a bar and experience (and maybe learn) some of that famous sense of humour, irony and sarcasm while being briefed on geography and learning to speak proper (but not loud) English.
  • Like 2

An expansion of what I mean by economic motivations. That can be very individual and doesn't necessarily indicate poverty or desperation (though it can). For example an American who could have retired in the U.S. and live a boring life, not able to afford eating out, etc. may be able to afford many places in Thailand and have a better quality of life, more bang for the buck as it were. Also there are often medical motivations. Americans under age 65 (when American style socialized medical coverage kicks in) who have lost access to health insurance coverage may find they can get by health-wise in Thailand paying retail Thai prices rather than staying in the U.S.

Edited by Jingthing

An expansion of what I mean by economic motivations. That can be very individual and doesn't necessarily indicate poverty or desperation (though it can). For example an American who could have retired in the U.S. and live a boring life, not able to afford eating out, etc. may be able to afford many places in Thailand and have a better quality of life, more bang for the buck as it were. Also there are often medical motivations. Americans under age 65 (when American style socialized medical coverage kicks in) who have lost access to health insurance coverage may find they can get by health-wise in Thailand paying retail Thai prices rather than staying in the U.S.

Where are you hanging out that you meet all these Americans that are in such bad shape financially, lol. Anytime I have attended any of the expat meetings, or Chiang Mai functions, I have met retired Americans that are living in upscale homes, driving nice vehicles, and travel frequently. Generally people tend to hang out with others that are operating within the same income range. Maybe your life style is a little too thrifty.

"One thing i noticed, was the amount of American accents. Whether in the hotel, at a bar, walking the markets, I would hear American accents.

American accents. As an American, I don't mind but it surprises me. I'm befuddled by the named British accents. Go from coast to coast in Canada with your ears tuned. Same with Australia.

There are so many regional accents in America I can't count them. There's that Boston/New England sound, and then there's Nu Yawk, Nu Joisy, Y'all with a drawl in the deep South, Texas, Arky/Okie... I can't list them all. Then of course there are the furriners who speak English as a second language.

I'm the only American without some accent. The rest of ya'll sound funny to me. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I think, as many times, there is lots of Canadians with lots of money to travel, many works seasonal jobs and Thailand has a great reputation over here, not to mention cheap flights from Vancouver. You will find much more Canadians in Mexico thou, just saying.

With the right visa, you can legally own a gun. That makes Thailand more enticing as a retirement "home" for US expats, but I'm sure the concept of "crazy Yanks" with guns frightens the Brits and away.

Puut len -- just kidding! ;)

There are 5 McDonalds. drunk.gif

Several Starbucks also... but i'm not sure if the Americans come for those... or they came for the Americans

Sad if they dooooooo. drunk.gif

If they decide to stay they soon discover Black Canyon and other better places but newcomers don't know where else to go for wifi. Mostly tourists at Starbucks and its a convenient first meeting place because of the sign and location.

• 3 months later...

America is a region including South America, Central America and North America..... and for what it's worth there is another United States, the United States of Mexico, so be specific when you mean the United States of America.

I love this!

It reminds me of some years back -- a hispanic coworker ranting about Americans. He was upset because people from the U.S.A. called themselves Americans and that infringed upon the identity of South Americans, Central Americans and other North Americans.

I suggested to him that it should be easy enough to rectify this situation. First, we get the Americans to stop calling themselves Americans. Then, all we need to do is to convince the Russians to stop calling us Amerikantsy, convince the Japanese to stop calling us Amerika-jin, convince the Thais to stop calling us Kon-amerika, and so forth for all the folks in about 100 countries. For some reason, he just walked away in a huff.

Of course, the more logical point is, if we are not to be called Americans, then what the hell are we to be called? USAians, as some have suggested? It seems to me that calling folks from the U.K. Brits may also be fraught with ambiguities. Are all U.K. citizens considered to be Brits, even the Irish and the Welch? I don't really know, I'm just asking.

I've always hated that "best in the world" mentality. I think the US is ONE of the best, but it also helps that I can afford healthcare etc etc.

I don't believe there is a best place, just the best place for you.

Totally agree.

When my daughter was 7 years old she came home from school one day and asked me,

"Daddy, is it true that America is the greatest country in the whole world?"

I said, "Well, there seem to be a lot of folks who believe that."

She replied, "Well, if it's REALLY true, why does our teacher need to tell us that every day."

Even a seven year old is intuitive enough to recognize pure idiocy... sad.png

America is a region including South America, Central America and North America..... and for what it's worth there is another United States, the United States of Mexico, so be specific when you mean the United States of America.

I love this!

It reminds me of some years back -- a hispanic coworker ranting about Americans. He was upset because people from the U.S.A. called themselves Americans and that infringed upon the identity of South Americans, Central Americans and other North Americans.

I suggested to him that it should be easy enough to rectify this situation. First, we get the Americans to stop calling themselves Americans. Then, all we need to do is to convince the Russians to stop calling us Amerikantsy, convince the Japanese to stop calling us Amerika-jin, convince the Thais to stop calling us Kon-amerika, and so forth for all the folks in about 100 countries. For some reason, he just walked away in a huff.

Of course, the more logical point is, if we are not to be called Americans, then what the hell are we to be called? USAians, as some have suggested? It seems to me that calling folks from the U.K. Brits may also be fraught with ambiguities. Are all U.K. citizens considered to be Brits, even the Irish and the Welch? I don't really know, I'm just asking.

I always laugh at these people. Ask them if they identify more as "American or South American" more than say Chilean or Brazilian and they always say the later. Furthermore America is only used to name the land mass or continent they are on, unlike the US, where America is in the country's name. Granted people do get tossed into groups based on continents and land mass, such as being called Asian or Europeans. But this typically is used to talk about race or culture, not citienship.

Or have fun with them and call them American when ever you see them.

Introduce them as American and watch their reaction!

• Like 1