Grow Trees To Avoid Future Crises, His Majesty The King Advises

webfact

Grow trees to avoid future crises, HM advises

The Nation

30176689-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- His Majesty the King yesterday emphasised the importance of forests and forestation in the government's flood-prevention efforts.

"It is necessary to stop forests from being felled," the much-revered monarch said, adding that the government might have to introduce harsher punishment. He was speaking during an audience granted to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and members of two government panels tasked with improving water-management systems yesterday evening.

During the meeting, which was granted from 5.30pm at a room in Siriraj Hospital's Chalerm Phrakiart Building, His Majesty said planting forests would solve the problems of flooding and landslides.

The King said it was the greed of some people, including government officials, that had resulted in so many big trees being uprooted. He pointed out that if these trees were allowed to live on, there would never have been such a huge flood crisis.

His Majesty explained that last year's flood had been caused because the water could not flow to the sea or be absorbed by forestland or green zones, and recommended that different species of trees should be planted in reforestation efforts to avoid such problems in the future.

Yingluck and members of the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM) and the Strategic Committee for Reconstruction and Future Development (SCRFD) were present at the meeting.

"We are waiting for His Majesty's advice. We have reported progress and findings from our recent inspection trip," Yingluck said earlier.

Last week, she and other relevant officials visited many flood-hit provinces in an effort to find ways to prevent the crisis from recurring this year. The floods wreaked havoc across dozens of provinces, claiming hundreds of lives, submerging seven industrial estates and swamping the homes of millions.

According to the prime minister, the government has already worked out its flood-prevention plans, and now needs to communicate them to the public. "Some of the plans will be implemented as soon as possible, while some others are long-term solutions," she said.

Asked whether floodways and water-catchment areas had been earmarked, Yingluck said, "Yes, but I will let experts such as Kijja Pholphasi, Peetipong Phuengbun na Ayutthaya and Dr Anond Snidvongs explain that in detail."

According to Yingluck, the water-management plan does not run against the rules of nature. Apart from dam management, run-off water will be allowed to flow through well-dredged waterways to the sea. Water-catchment areas, selected because they have long been flood-prone, will be required to hold water for just a few months a year, she said.

"In the long run, we may raise the height of some roads," she said.

Yingluck said transferring Chalit Damrongsak from the helm of the Royal Irrigation Department would not disrupt flood-prevention efforts.

"The guidelines have already been laid down. No matter who comes in or takes charge, they will be the same," she said. "Besides, Chalit is now the deputy permanent secretary for Agriculture. He will still oversee the department."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-25

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you post a comment please remember that you have agreed to forum rule no 2

In using Thai Visa I agree:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

/Admin

• Like 1

A very worthwhile and useful proposition.

But then where would people grow all the rice, sugar cane, cassava, a rubber which is exported to the great financial benefit of the few in Bangkok?

Things only change if there is a financial benefit in this country, so until the tax the land effectively, and possibly give a tax break to land owners who actively plant tress, what is the possible financial incentive for an individual to plant rai after rai of trees. There are literally millions of rai of land sitting around unused in this country, but because they are not taxed, nothing happens.

Now, I dare any politician to try and pass a law to tax land effectively in the country. Not going to happen, at least not in my lifetime.

I think the current crop of politicos are more concerned with their own careers agendas and wealth than they are with the country. Things like infrastructure projects only come into consideration when there is personal gain for the people who would sign off on them. The previous regime running the US was the same way.

Funny how the Prime Ministers proposals for reforestation were ridiculed by many, here on TV a couple of weeks ago..................

Obviously HM is correct.

What was ridiculed was the time line.

I agree with philw and disagree with whybother. It is funny how most readers here read or see what they want to see and took the PM's words the wrong way. She did not say to plant a forest within 90 days. She did say to implement the project within that time frame and she was correct.

Like philw said it's funny how when the PM says it you were all very critical towards her idea, but now you are all so for it.

It's to bad that Yingluck's words could not be spoken through different lips more often and then maybe a lot of you would come to your senses and stop being so critical to everything she tries and does. She has only been in for a few months now and look at the pile of crap she was handed and now she has to deal with it all. Give her a break. Do you think she can solve all of Thailand's problems over night?

Why not look at the positive things she is doing and post decent comments? Like Sister Theresa once said: Have a rally against war and I will not attend. Have a pro-peace rally and I will be there with my full support.

Anyways I am really glad that people are now taking what she wanted to do in the first place serious now as it is a GREAT idea and it might not help Thailand right away but this is a preventive maintenance for the future as well. You all know that you can buy full grown trees here and have them planted in your back-yard and they will begin to take root within 2 or 3 months depending on what kind of trees are planted.

I agree with philw and disagree with whybother. It is funny how most readers here read or see what they want to see and took the PM's words the wrong way. She did not say to plant a forest within 90 days. She did say to implement the project within that time frame and she was correct.

Like philw said it's funny how when the PM says it you were all very critical towards her idea, but now you are all so for it.

It's to bad that Yingluck's words could not be spoken through different lips more often and then maybe a lot of you would come to your senses and stop being so critical to everything she tries and does. She has only been in for a few months now and look at the pile of crap she was handed and now she has to deal with it all. Give her a break. Do you think she can solve all of Thailand's problems over night?

Why not look at the positive things she is doing and post decent comments? Like Sister Theresa once said: Have a rally against war and I will not attend. Have a pro-peace rally and I will be there with my full support.

Anyways I am really glad that people are now taking what she wanted to do in the first place serious now as it is a GREAT idea and it might not help Thailand right away but this is a preventive maintenance for the future as well. You all know that you can buy full grown trees here and have them planted in your back-yard and they will begin to take root within 2 or 3 months depending on what kind of trees are planted.

Whether right or wrong, the ridicule was of the PMs plans to "complete the planting of fast-growing trees and the construction of check dams within 3 months." As with a number of PTP projects that have been announced and proposed since prior to the election, there seems to be little planning or thought that goes into it before the announcement is made.

If a bit of thinking and planning went into them before the announcement was made, particularly in relation to the time frame, they would get a lot more support.

HM comments were as much about deforestation as reforestation. Planting (and saving) trees is a long term issue, not something that can be completed in three months.

Funny how the Prime Ministers proposals for reforestation were ridiculed by many, here on TV a couple of weeks ago..................

Obviously HM is correct.

What was ridiculed was the time line.

Problem is that this is the story that comes out no matter who is in parliament. Give them a little time, they haven't had long. This is because they can't or won't ever really tackle and major issues at all. Taxes, investment, VAT, incentives, real education reform, the role of the army, constitution and the list goes on.

All the parties just tinker around the edges of everything because if they really tackle something that really jeopardises their own or other pooyais interestes but genuinely benefits the people, it never ever gets implemented because either the army, yellows, reds , amart or themselves are inconvenienced.

Take a ride on the 1263 highway up north. If you replant the forest that has been clear cut you will put a lot of hillribe farmers out of business, as well as shutting down a few Royal Farming Projects. Not all of the deforestation is for the big boys but for thoses who have had little in the past and are doing better today because of it.

He is right.

Just take a look at the surrounding areas outside of Bangkok. North, East, West.. All forests TOTALLY gone.

Not out the back of my house.

I live on the edge of the Mae Wong national park in Khampaeng Phet province and it has not been deforested anywhere that I have seen,

Look it up on Google Earth if you don't believe.

This is what she actually stated well before the meeting with His Majesty yesterday.

PM Yingluck instructs 10 provincial governors to grow upstream forests within 3 months

BANGKOK, 15 February 2012 (NNT) - The prime minister has instructed the governors of 10 provinces, from upstream to downstream rivers, to finish the growing of water-retention forestland within 3 months.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said on Tuesday that the government is now encouraging locals in flood-prone areas to adopt the various royally-initiated projects, related to the management of upstream forests, the construction of check dams and the ecological preservation.

The PM's comment was heard during her meeting with related ministers and 10 provincial governors in Phitsanulok Province.

The Premier said that she hopes the Thai people will become more connected to and realize the value of green forestland in the near future.

And in order to help speed up such works, PM Yingluck has assigned related agencies and ministries to take charge of all coherent projects, while instructing the 10 governors to complete the planting of fast-growing trees and the construction of check dams within 3 months.

The prime minister has pledged to allocate a budget to support all these projects.

Moreover, she has discussed with related ministers about the lowering of the minimum water detention at all dams from 60% to 45%, in order to help ease the impact from possible flooding in the future.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-15

Sad that the PM and Gov pays lip service.....HHR is still on the ball.good on 'im... unfortunately the gov has a different agenda it would seem....

What would the different agenda be then, as I see it the King and the PM are on the same thought path re this topic.

I want to quickly get in my comment in before this thread is closed.

Absolutely agree and this should pertain all over the world not only in Thailand.

Instead of destroying the environments we should be preserving them. This includes, the land, forests and wildlife. Everything is created for a purpose and is part of a system in the scheme of things. Muck this up and the system fails.

The floods are nature’s payback time for disrespecting it. Our world is a paradise and we are all part of it. Destroy nature and we end up destroying ourselves.

God Bless His Majesty the King and long may he reign.

• Like 1

When the Thais start to respect their country as much as their King then something might happen, most from what I see is total disrespect, if you can make a fast buck cut it down, if you cant bribe an official and then cut it down.