Any Parents With Kids At Ep Darasamuth ?

napalm

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had decided to move my kid there as well, from K2 to their K3 program, but in the end decided to go for Palm House Primary school in Rawai.

So can't give you experiences, but after extensive research Darasamuth was my choice over Kajonkiet and Dawroong.

One inappropriate post has been removed from view. Please abide by forum rules:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Can only say that I know someone who left the Darasamuth EP due to high class sizes, not as much 'E' in the 'EP' as was expected, and a disproportionate input by Thai teachers when teaching the 'E' bits.

If your child is half Thai - half western, then you should really go to one of the International Schools.

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

IMHO the english programs in Darasamuth and Kajonkiet is a joke. a bad joke, and an expensive joke.

as for Dowroong, its not on par with the best public schools in Phuket, but if you dont have a tabien bahn allowing you to a good public school, its a cheap alternative, but not good

• Like 1

My Stepdaughter went there for about a year but the level of education was seriously lacking and a certain amount of bullying as well. Family decided that boarding school in Chonburi was the answer near her aunt if family needed. She loves it after the initial pining for family etc.

What an improvement in the Top 5% of class and English & Mandarin coming on like a house on fire. Of course every holiday its back to Phuket and enjoy what Phuket has to offer without the School Bus every morning at 6am.

Just my two cents worth...I doubt you will find a perfect school here. For myself, Darasamuth has been a fairly good school for my daughter who is half Filipina and half American. The school has immediately addressed any concerns I have had and there have been a few. My daughter speaks fluent Thai, English, and has a smattering ability to speak two Philippine dialects, Tagalog and Waray, learned rudimentary Spanish learned during three and a half years in America. She has problems keeping up with written Thai and her Thai teacher's teaching style has a lot to do with that. IMHO the English section does well and has some very good teachers and administrators. For myself, affordability is a real concern. Not all can afford the outrageous International School fees. Darasamuth charges about 43,000B for one semester and I am comfortable with that. Location as mentioned somewhere is very important. Way too much travel time can hurt the child's free play time. I thought about the new school in Rawaii but their prices are double that of Darasamuth. Crazy prices in my opinion. I vote for bi-lingual schools as the best compromise.

Affordability does come into it, but so does the level of priority you give your children.

I have wife (housewife / homemaker / full-time mother), 4-bed house, pool and a Honda. My yearly income is 800K baht per year, but I still prioritise my childs education, so 240K goes straight out on school fees.

It can truly come down to a lesser of two evils. You just have to decide which one you will be comfortable with. Some of my Korean tour guide students and their families are moving to Perú, of all places, so priority for me is to teach them Español.

But the ones from Darasamoot (sp), their English is far below what an EP school is offering and in one instance, my student has a higher level of English than the rest of the classmates.

We all know about the 80% turnover of native speakers out of Kajonkiet. Wonder what it is for Darasamoot? Anyone know?

Affordability does come into it, but so does the level of priority you give your children.

I have wife (housewife / homemaker / full-time mother), 4-bed house, pool and a Honda. My yearly income is 800K baht per year, but I still prioritise my childs education, so 240K goes straight out on school fees.

sadly many members here are the opposite and they value their anti-nanny state view so much that they'd rather spend more on beer and give their kids a thai education.

My post on this always get reported by these "fathers" and then deleted. They only last an hour or so but i get a lot of 'likes'

I have no idea how you can spend 240k out of 800k on education, good for you. If i was in your situation and could not figure out how to do it i would simply go back home, which is what i am doing when the oldest turns 4

sadly many members here are the opposite and they value their anti-nanny state view so much that they'd rather spend more on beer and give their kids a thai education.

My post on this always get reported by these "fathers" and then deleted. They only last an hour or so but i get a lot of 'likes'

I have no idea how you can spend 240k out of 800k on education, good for you. If i was in your situation and could not figure out how to do it i would simply go back home, which is what i am doing when the oldest turns 4

Good that you understand. Doing what I do isn't difficult - it's very difficult!

I like to read, watch some downloaded tv, have a beer at home each day, and go out on Saturday's just to watch the football.... but walk past cheese, wine and most of the other things I like.

I'll also go back home when the opportunity arises - again for the aspect of education and early career for my child. As I say, my priority isn't me, it's giving my child the best chances in life, and I'll forego a lot to ensure that happens.

• Like 1

I think that when you post like this, without insulting or derogatory comments, it will not get deleted.

It can truly come down to a lesser of two evils. You just have to decide which one you will be comfortable with. Some of my Korean tour guide students and their families are moving to Perú, of all places, so priority for me is to teach them Español.

But the ones from Darasamoot (sp), their English is far below what an EP school is offering and in one instance, my student has a higher level of English than the rest of the classmates.

We all know about the 80% turnover of native speakers out of Kajonkiet. Wonder what it is for Darasamoot? Anyone know?

During the two years my Daughter has attended Darasamuth there has been zero turnover within the circle of teachers and administrators I have become acquainted with. All are from America or Great Britain as far as the English Teachers. She is in the English Program (EP-2) and does grade 6 English workbooks at home. Even she would not structure a sentence "But the ones from Darasamoot (sp), their English is far below..." as you just did. She must be getting it taught correctly by someone.

To each its own, teacher. Glad ONE student is doing well.

It's a bit unfair to suggest that just ONE student is doing well there. How many Darrasamuth students do you privately teach exactly?

Parents very often put struggling kids in for private tuition, ergo, the kids private tutors teach appear to be terrible at English. It doesn't mean that all students in the programme are terrible ! Fact is, if you want your kids to be speaking great English, don't send them to a Thai school, even if it has an EP programme. You just can't expect them to speak English to the same level as their peers in the UK. The playground lingua franca at Thai schools with EP tends to be Thai. In an international school, it tends to be English. My advice to the OP would be to visit both schools and observe lessons. Speak to teachers if you can. Listen to the language in the playground. And don't set your sights too high. Be realistic.

Well, Mark. Do not get me started on Thai Hua! One teacher there actually crossed out "accident" and wrote in English "accidented" in one of my student´s books.

As I noted, I am delighted that the girl is doing well. Good news, actually. And yes, the OP should talk to the teachers, particularly the Thai English teachers.

wasnt it at darasamuth last year that a bunch of parents had to fight for months with the school board because the teachers were persuaded that fifteen is written 'five-teen' and would not back down? When a simple google of "five-teen" would of resulted in nothing, if teachers were competent enough to take care of dead mices/cockroach or any other dead animal, they would of done this.

wasnt it at darasamuth last year that a bunch of parents had to fight for months with the school board because the teachers were persuaded that fifteen is written 'five-teen' and would not back down? When a simple google of "five-teen" would of resulted in nothing, if teachers were competent enough to take care of dead mices/cockroach or any other dead animal, they would of done this.

That was not Darasamuth. That was in a similar thread last year or so and I am not sure which one it was but do remember it was not Darasamuth. The English teachers there that I know are all very competent Americans and Brits, in their 30's and they know their job well. Sounds like some are getting confused about Darasamuth. It is definately not perfect, but for myself it does a fair job for the money.

Indeed. So to all parents and in particular, to the OP, talk to the teachers, and in particular, the "local" English teachers. (I hope I wrote this correctly, Bunta71).

There will be no salary deduction today. Gold star maybe if it keeps up. Groove onwards.

That was Dawroong, i.e. one poster here claimed that happened. so it may be true, it may be overdone, but one post is not exactly hard proof, especially with somebody else in the same thread denying it. See this thread.

Edited by stevenl

I actually teach at Anuban Phuket School. My daughter"s in MEP 3. No, it"s not the ideal situation I want for her but removing her from the only enviroment she knows is a difficult decision to make.

Maybe your post are removed because you"re obnoxious. I can figure out what to do with my daughter but it"s not solely about education, her well being and happiness play a big part. She struggles in every subject but I understand why she does.The Thai way of teaching is both crude and outdated. The average age of teachers in my school was 58.It"s gradually dropping because the Ministry of Education could see a problem.Unfortunately the new younger look teachers are exactly what they are. They look good. I pay 35,000 baht a term because it"s what I can afford. Private tuition is used when needed. Simply going back home may well suit you. Don"t judge everybody by what you do, and don"t presume you know everyone elses situation. Because you don"t. Edited by lonexpat
  • Like 1

In this day and age, a good education is the key to a good career and good money.

You might be able to get away with putting your child into the Thai education system up to the age of 11, but, after that, to get a worthwhile education, they either have to go to an International school in Thailand, or, a good quality state school in a developed country (which is free).

If people insist on abandoning their kids to the Thai education system after the age of 11 just so that they can continue living in Thailand, then, effectively, they are sacrificing their child's future for their own desires.

People owe their children the best education that they can provide. Be that spending huge sums on an International school, or, making the sacrifice to leave Thailand, return home and enroll them in an education system that can prepare them for a good career. Anything less is selfish.

Let the flaming commence.

Edited by KarenBravo

In this day and age, a good education is the key to a good career and good money.

You might be able to get away with putting your child into the Thai education system up to the age of 11, but, after that, to get a worthwhile education, they either have to go to an International school in Thailand, or, a good quality state school in a developed country (which is free).

If people insist on abandoning their kids to the Thai education system after the age of 11 just so that they can continue living in Thailand, then, effectively, they are sacrificing their child's future for their own desires.

People owe their children the best education that they can provide. Be that spending huge sums on an International school, or, making the sacrifice to leave Thailand, return home and enroll them in an education system that can prepare them for a good career. Anything less is selfish.

Let the flaming commence.

Good post except you are way off the mark about one thing. By the age of 11 the damage will be well and truely done. Swap 11 for 4 or 5 and you're good to go.

I'm sorry 'lonexpat' but I can't think of a single good excuse/reason why you would allow your child to have a sub standard education and I've got a pretty good imagination. If you have school age children and you can't afford a private education then quite simply you shouldn't be in Thailand or you shouldn't have had children.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it's what I believe is true.

• Like 1