Thai Funerals And Noise

loong

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in three different villages in Thailand and I've seen many a funeral but can honestly say I've never been disturbed by a load of noise from one. Even had a family funeral and it was a whole week affair but no loud noise. Traffic noise and Karaoke is another matter of course !

I've lived in three different villages in Thailand and I've seen many a funeral but can honestly say I've never been disturbed by a load of noise from one. Even had a family funeral and it was a whole week affair but no loud noise. Traffic noise and Karaoke is another matter of course !

Over the last 12 years I have also spent time in 3 different villages and none have been as noisy as this one.

The most recent deceased was found to be dead during the night and the family set off a load of bangers and firecrackers at 2AM.

When these parties happen near to my house, I cannot sometimes hear my TV in my home unless I have it at full volume.

As you have not experienced it you probably would not believe that the bass from the movie theatre is vibrating my internal organs. It's a wierd feeling.

Interesting, In my village funerals last up to a week and like all other ceremonies -weddings, monk ordinations, house warmings etc., they are all accompanied by tremendous noise lasting well into the early hours. Not so bad if you get used to it!

When I lived in Bangkok the police were happy to control noise after 11pm, but nobody ever calls the police in the village. Maybe because there are at least four different Tri-dice gambling tables at every ceremony.

It seems to be part of Thai culture not to consider other people sometimes. If you are offended or disturbed by others, in my experience it is better to take responsibility for your own discomfort and move away from the situation rather than make waves trying to change anything.

Edited by Riley'sLife
  • Like 2

Interesting, In my village funerals last up to a week and like all other ceremonies -weddings, monk ordinations, house warmings etc., they are all accompanied by tremendous noise lasting well into the early hours. Not so bad if you get used to it!

When I lived in Bangkok the police were happy to control noise after 11pm, but nobody ever calls the police in the village. Maybe because there are at least four different Tri-dice gambling tables at every ceremony.

It seems to be part of Thai culture not to consider other people sometimes. If you are offended or disturbed by others, in my experience it is better to take responsibility for your own discomfort and move away from the situation rather than make waves trying to change anything.

I realise that it is futile to complain or try to change anything. After all, if the locals are prepared to suffer in silence, I know that I would have no chance.

As I said in the OP, there have been times that I have been forced out of my home in order to protect my sanity. This has been the only way that I can take responsibility for my own discomfort. I'm lucky that I can afford this option when things get unbearable, but most of the Thais here, especially the elderly don't have this option.

My immediate neighbour is a lovely old girl who takes care of her Grandaughter. We get on really well and she is always full of life though probably in her very late 60's. It saddens me to look at her drawn face as 2 funeral parties, one after the other have obviously taken their toll. One of her daughters lives a few houses down the road, her husband is a paramedic and looks like a zombie through lack of sleep. His job is to save lives, but he really doesn't look in a fit state to work.

• Like 1

A bit akin to moving to America and complaining about the noisy fireworks on the 4th of July.

Not really, 4th July happens just once a year. This is constant excessive noise that has lasted for 2 weeks because of 2 funerals back to back.

• Like 2

6 neighbours have died in the last year? I wouldn't be worried about the noise, I'd be worried if there was something in the water!

2 of old age, 2 from cancer and 3 not from the water but their habitual consumption of Thai whisky. Hold on that's 7, I'd forgotten to include the latest in the total. And actually, one of the cancer cases may heve also been partly due because of the fact that he was permanently drunk. He was in his 30's and there was no autopsy, he spent a week in hospital and then was sent home to die which happened 2 days later

What really surprise me is that they are running karaoke at the death house as if in competition with the movie that they have paid for so at the moment I am being treated to tuneless Karaoke in my left ear and the movie in my right!

Here also they seem to die within 2-3 weeks of each-other, there-after relative quiet period, until next die season.

I’ve been using a combo method, of rubber sheet placed on exposed windows and doors & high volume on TV’s. To me it helps allot, if they are high decibel level indoors. Some stuff copied from a website below:

Rubber is used to reduce sound, noise, and absorb acoustical vibration. Rubber or sponge rubber can be used for soundproofing and noise reduction and vibration control. These products work well in these applications because the physical properties of high density and regular consistency aid rubber in reducing the transfer of sound. Additionally, rubber excels in applications that require noise and vibration to be reduced. The reason for this is that any noise and vibrations that are present will be absorbed and distributed evenly across the material rather than being allowed to fully pass through. Also, the thickness of the rubber to be used is determined by the desired level of noise and vibration reduction, the method of application, and they type of rubber being used. The thickness of the rubber is largely determined by the desired amount of noise reduction; the thicker the material is, the greater it will be at reducing noise and vibrations. One can go from slight noise reduction to complete soundproofing by simply increasing the thickness of the material being used.

Good Luck…. bcoz I do really hate the noise also!!!

Here also they seem to die within 2-3 weeks of each-other, there-after relative quiet period, until next die season.

I’ve been using a combo method, of rubber sheet placed on exposed windows and doors & high volume on TV’s. To me it helps allot, if they are high decibel level indoors. Some stuff copied from a website below:

Rubber is used to reduce sound, noise, and absorb acoustical vibration. Rubber or sponge rubber can be used for soundproofing and noise reduction and vibration control. These products work well in these applications because the physical properties of high density and regular consistency aid rubber in reducing the transfer of sound. Additionally, rubber excels in applications that require noise and vibration to be reduced. The reason for this is that any noise and vibrations that are present will be absorbed and distributed evenly across the material rather than being allowed to fully pass through. Also, the thickness of the rubber to be used is determined by the desired level of noise and vibration reduction, the method of application, and they type of rubber being used. The thickness of the rubber is largely determined by the desired amount of noise reduction; the thicker the material is, the greater it will be at reducing noise and vibrations. One can go from slight noise reduction to complete soundproofing by simply increasing the thickness of the material being used.

Good Luck…. bcoz I do really hate the noise also!!!

sheesh what a pallava, surely a pair of earplugs would be so much simpler. faster etc

A bit akin to moving to America and complaining about the noisy fireworks on the 4th of July.

Not really, 4th July happens just once a year. This is constant excessive noise that has lasted for 2 weeks because of 2 funerals back to back.

Are you for real?

People have died and the respects paid and types of funerals are all part of Thai culture. It`s a fitting end and the final conclusion to someone`s life. So at least give them that with honor and respect. To be honest that’s the way I have chosen to go after I kick the bucket.

Perhaps when it`s your turn you will go quietly at a time and place where the activities do not disturb anyone else and then burned or buried discretely and forgotten with the minimum of inconvenience to the locals of the area. And make sure you die at a time that does not clash with another funeral.

To conclude, I am ever so glad that I do not have near farang neighbors, especially if they all have the same attitudes and share the same cold-hearted views as you. It makes me wonder why you are in Thailand? Because it appears you are unable to adapt to the ways here.

So in other words, like it or lump it.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Are you for real?

People have died and the respects paid and types of funerals are all part of Thai culture. It`s a fitting end and the final conclusion to someone`s life. So at least give them that with honor and respect. To be honest that;s the way I have chosen to go after I kick the bucket.

Perhaps when it`s your turn you will go quietly at a time and place where the activities do not disturb anyone else and then burned or buried discretely and forgotten with the minimum of inconvenience to the locals of the area. And make sure you die at a time that does not clash with another funeral.

To conclude, I am ever so glad that I do not have near farang neighbors, especially if they all have the same attitudes and share the same cold-hearted views as you. It makes me wonder why you are in Thailand? Because it appears you are unable to adapt to the ways here.

So in other words, like it or lump it.

I expected at least one reply like this. I think it strange that some people believe that any Farang who lives in Thailand should embrace and love everything Thai.

Many years ago , when living in Phrae province, I had the honour to be invited to the funeral of a relatively well off person. We were given food and the entertainment consisted of a small group with traditional Thai instruments singing traditional Northern Thai songs. I admit that the music sounded a little strange to me, but it wasn't offensively loud, there was no microphone or amplifier. The monks also managed their chants without the aid of a microphone.

I didn't really understand the conversation, but people were able to talk to each other without shouting. From what I was told, this was not a sad occasion, but a celebration of the life of the deceased.

That, as far as I am concerned is an example of a traditional funeral party and part of true Thai culture. A pleasant occasion that did not annoy or inconvenience the neighbours.

A appreciate that culture is an ever evolving thing, but it doesn't mean that I have to like it.

If it is now part of Thai culture to be inconsiderate of neighbours, then I don't see that as a good thing. An earlier poster stated that the police will shut down noisy parties after 11PM in Bangkok, so it is obviously not a nationwide cultural thing.

It is also part of Thai culture...

To be an habitual drunk

drive a motorbike without a helmet

drive like a maniac without any consideration of other road users

mixture of any of the above.

I don't drive when drunk, I wear a helmet/seat belt and I drive carefully. Am I wrong about this too? I don't think so.

I don't believe that I am being cold hearted because I am annoyed at being sleep deprived because of other people's lack of consideration.

And yes, I have made it clear that when it comes to my time to die, I want my body to be disposed of with as little fuss as possible. I don't subscribe to any religious theory/fiction, so I believe that once you die, the body is an empty vessel and should be disposed of the same as any used container.

The understanding of Thai culture referenced above differs from mine.

I see those actions as a consequence of the culture, not an integral part of it. Thai culture evolved before motor vehicles were common, and therefore drink - driving is not an integral part.

I believe that a belief in fate is an integral part of Thai culture. if you are fated to die in a motor accident, then staying sober won't save you.

I believe that a focus on family and close friends, and 'sanuk' are part of Thai culture, and consideration for strangers less so (bearing in mind that in times past there would have been no strangers let alone foreigners, in the village) hence the late night parties.

SC

I live next door to a temple, in the Khmer part of Isan. In full view from my livingroom is the crematorium chimney.

Funerals are a regular occurrence, two or three a week in the rainy season. Our temple serves the villages for miles around.

No, we don't suffer from excessive noise. Anyway, the funeral customs are their customs, and it is no good our complaining about them. I think they're an awful waste of money, but that's their business, not mine. Respect their ways as you expect them to respect yours; you (and I) are the intruders.

There is a difference between established customs and bad habits. The noise, hate it though you do, is a custom; Thai driving habits are just that, habits.

I hope that once I'm dead people will be able to sleep easily in their beds.

Let's face it - its pretty selfish to expect such cacophanous noise when you'll be the only one able to sleep through it

SC

Guess it bring a new meaning to the term....the noise was loud enought to wake the dead.......guess we can send this to mythbusters and prove conclusively that no level of noise can wake the dead..

• Like 1

Funny, right now as I am typing this in the United States, there has been a horn and Mexican mariachi music that has been playing for 2 hours straight from my neighbor who has decided to hire a live band. Noise pollution is global, people.

Maybe so in your country but where I come from you just can't do this to your neighbours. If you want to hire a live band you have to hire a hall that is licenced to play music, and even then, they have to stop playing by a certain time, normally midnight. Time extensions can be granted but only on certain holidays. Seems your Country, or State does not have strict rules on noise pollution.

I have bought some earplugs to be able to sleep normal hours during funerals. It is very irritating with all that noise, but there is nothing to do

about it, just go to a nice hotel until it is over. Thais have many strange traditions, but we cannot do anything to change it.

Loong, my situation is different, in terms of what/ where the noise is coming from but reading you say "to the brink of madness" hits spot on. The noise around my home, in the city, is often so unbearable that in the past 3 years I have come to that precipice of madness and crossed to the side, doing unthinkable things that I won't get into here. My wife and I have now, directly because of the noise, purchased a piece of land, outside of the city in a noticeably quieter area. I hope for both you and me and others like us that we never reach that precipice again.

Probably not much point in joining this conversation – those who have looked past the myopic viewpoint of ‘this is Thai culture – get over it”, and have talked to the locals about excessive noise, will know that many Thais are also annoyed by it. Those who haven't looked into it will continue looking at this country with their Thai tinted glasses, and don't you dare say anything critical about this country to them.

Annoying your neighbours is not exactly a cultural thing. Perhaps where ‘culture’ does comes into play are the reasons why they don’t complain about the noise. My 85 y.o. Mother in law is bothered to distraction by the noise levels in our village, to the point of it affecting her health. Yet, when I asked her why she doesn’t say anything to the neighbours (not the ones making the noise that is; there is plenty of talk between the non offending neighbours), she came back with “I might need their help one day”, and “I don’t want to cause trouble”.

My sister in law did complain once, and only once. She rang the head of the village about an extremely noisy party. The head of the village then announced over the tannoy that she had complained, giving her name in the process.

By the way, when I asked my wife what sort of trouble her mother was referring to, she told me they might shoot you for complaining. Pretty wild, huh?

Once I made the mistake of asking the guys next door to tone it down - no, not a funeral, just some friends visiting. 4 weeks later one of them appeared at my house, pupils like dinner plates, wanting to have a go at me for asking him to turn down the music at 3 a.m

Edited by BadtzBee

I expect modern technology is much to blame for our discomfort during such ceremonies.

Before mobile movie shows ,karaoke machines,and the huge sound system that almost every Thai household owns,I would imagine a much quieter time.

The loud fireworks at time of death and prior to the body moving off to the crematorium are ions old practices to frighten the spirit from the now dead body (one hopes dead).

We had a recent case of a chap pronounced dead actually waking up while they were pumping out his blood and replacing it with formaldahyde ,they rushed him to hospital and he actually lived for another 3 days.

The noisy celebrations have little or nothing to do with the recently deceased ,but are to gain face for the relatives.

The more cows ,pigs or fish that are provided for the mainly freeloaders (along with the all important Lao Khao) along with the length of time the funeral rites last is to signify to the other villagers how well off you are, even though on many occasions the cash is borrowed from the local money lender and paid back (hopefully) over a long period of time.

Nowadays ,if its to be a long celebration I just head off to Udon for a few days R & R , if its to be relatively short I just move to the motel about 3 km up the road.

snipped quote from Loong as reply would not post with the amount of quotes

...........It is also part of Thai culture...

To be an habitual drunk

drive a motorbike without a helmet

drive like a maniac without any consideration of other road users

mixture of any of the above.

I don't drive when drunk, I wear a helmet/seat belt and I drive carefully. Am I wrong about this too? I don't think so.

I don't believe that I am being cold hearted because I am annoyed at being sleep deprived because of other people's lack of consideration.

And yes, I have made it clear that when it comes to my time to die, I want my body to be disposed of with as little fuss as possible. I don't subscribe to any religious theory/fiction, so I believe that once you die, the body is an empty vessel and should be disposed of the same as any used container.

The understanding of Thai culture referenced above differs from mine.

I see those actions as a consequence of the culture, not an integral part of it. Thai culture evolved before motor vehicles were common, and therefore drink - driving is not an integral part.

I believe that a belief in fate is an integral part of Thai culture. if you are fated to die in a motor accident, then staying sober won't save you.

I believe that a focus on family and close friends, and 'sanuk' are part of Thai culture, and consideration for strangers less so (bearing in mind that in times past there would have been no strangers let alone foreigners, in the village) hence the late night parties.

SC

"Thai culture evolved before motor vehicles were common, and therefore drink - driving is not an integral part."

If that's the case, then Thai culture evolved before large amplifiers, speakers, CDs and mobile movie theatres were common, so why would these things be considered an integral part of Thai culture?

Ok so I'm still a stranger after living in this village for 5 years, but it is not only me who is annoyed and inconvenienced. People who have lived here all their lives suffer as well. It can be difficult to get them to admit to it, but some do, they will not complain though - it's not in their nature.