Bangkok Traffic Police To Get Tough On Cabs

webfact

Traffic Police to Get Tough on Cabs

cab.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Traffic Police has launched a new campaign passenger and road safety. They are calling for taxi drivers to observe the official dress code for taxi drivers and obey traffic laws.

The Traffic police have launched a new campaign to promote road safety and safety of taxi passengers. They are calling for taxi drivers to help the police solve the chronic traffic in Bangkok and help promote the city as one of the top tourist destinations in the world.

Officially, taxi drivers must follow an official dress code.

They are required to tuck their shirttails into their pants. They must wear a name tag with Thai alphabets on the left hand side of the shirt. For footwear, drivers must not wear flipflops during work hours.

Violators could face a fine of no more than 500 baht. Taxis are also prohibited from parking their vehicles in unauthorized areas or blocking traffic. Violators could face a fine up 500 - 1,000 baht.

All taxis are required to use their meters to determine the cab fares. There are two main types of taxi in Thailand. Ones that are sporting two-tone paint, more specifically yellow and green, are privately owned taxis. The ones that have red-blue two-tone paint, however, are not privately owned.

They are older taxis that belong to a taxi cooperative or company. Taxis that are painted in one color are those that are owned by taxi cooperatives or companies. They are rent out to taxi drivers who usually split the driving shifts between 2 drivers per vehicle.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-02

footer_n.gif

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worry about how they dress ?? not worry they are raping and robbing people for months after being reported for such, and have HIV.

They should make the drivers go through the same "vetting" that they have in other countries and not let people do the job who's only requirement appears to be that they are breathing.

http://www.thaivisa....ing-passengers/

OR pose as a Military Officer to rob people :

http://www.thaivisa....ign-passengers/

so it seems you can do this, but dont dress scruffy or park inconsiderately whilst doing it !

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

If they want to help ease traffic matters they should reduce the number of taxis. There are an extimated 70,000 taxis in a city that only requires about half that number. Another thing would be for the taxi driver to accept all fares who flag them. I am fed up with the crap of taxi drivers telling me they do not or will not go where I want to go. Failure to accept a fare should result in hack licenxse revocation. Now, why won't this ever happen? The taxi mafia.

Let them go blow smoke up someone else's ass.

Make that more than 100.000 according to BK Magazine recently.

And these are only the registered cabs.

• Like 1

If they want to help ease traffic matters they should reduce the number of taxis. There are an extimated 70,000 taxis in a city that only requires about half that number. Another thing would be for the taxi driver to accept all fares who flag them. I am fed up with the crap of taxi drivers telling me they do not or will not go where I want to go. Failure to accept a fare should result in hack licenxse revocation. Now, why won't this ever happen? The taxi mafia.

Seconded. What kind of crap taxi service refuses a fare? Have never seen this in any other country ever, it's ridiculous.

IIRC it is illegal to flag down a mini cab in the UK, how many cabs would come out for a short journey down the road ? and of course

"Don't go sarf of the river gov".

Seems to be lots of campaigns rolling out for cops to work........what were they doing before??huh.png

The same as what they will continue to do now, drink on duty , gamble and sell drugs. Don't you know the price of beer and fags is going up?

• Like 1

They are required to tuck their shirttails into their pants. They must wear a name tag with Thai alphabets on the left hand side of the shirt. For footwear, drivers must not wear flipflops during work hours.

Well, from now on before I jump into a taxi I'm going to make sure the driver complies with above dress code; if he does, then I will know he's an honest and professional driver. Gosh, why didn't the BIB think of this great idea before...it will set the taxi driver standard for the world.

• Like 1

It's ok to complain about BKK Taxi drivers, but in my experience I think in general that they are not bad. Ok, I drive; but when I use taxis I never have, and never have had, a problem. They may not be trained, like black cabbies are, but they will genuinely get you from A to B in the best way they know how, and always use the meter - unless YOU are a prick, of course!

The police getting tough on cabs would be time better spent on police getting tough with motorcycle riders, and employing the laws that apply to them.

They only stop a few helmetless, car cutting and scratching, and road blocking cycle users when the lecky bills come in! As a driver, I find taxi's generally ok, and it's the <deleted> brainless and lawless motorcycle morons that need more policing - for their sakes plus mine!

-mel.

• Like 1

The police getting tough on cabs would be time better spent on police getting tough with motorcycle riders, and employing the laws that apply to them.

Don't worry, getting tough on motorcycle riders is the BIB promotion for next month.

"Another thing would be for the taxi driver to accept all fares who flag them. I am fed up with the crap of taxi drivers telling me they do not or will not go where I want to go. Failure to accept a fare should result in hack licenxse revocation. Now, why won't this ever happen? The taxi mafia."

The missus reckons the reason behind this is, that there is a change over time and if they can't make it back in time, they miss their "knock off'", hence the refusal. I don't get pissed off anymore and just ask the next bloke 10 meters behind.

Also reckon they should run an odds and evens number plate thingy, odds one day, evens the next and a free for all on Sunday.

• Like 1

"Another thing would be for the taxi driver to accept all fares who flag them. I am fed up with the crap of taxi drivers telling me they do not or will not go where I want to go. Failure to accept a fare should result in hack licenxse revocation. Now, why won't this ever happen? The taxi mafia."

The missus reckons the reason behind this is, that there is a change over time and if they can't make it back in time, they miss their "knock off'", hence the refusal. I don't get pissed off anymore and just ask the next bloke 10 meters behind.

Also reckon they should run an odds and evens number plate thingy, odds one day, evens the next and a free for all on Sunday.

I like the idea of odd and even numbers, but you know this is Thailand and they will all have two sets of plates!

• Like 2

Seconded. What kind of crap taxi service refuses a fare? Have never seen this in any other country ever, it's ridiculous.

you obviously never tried taking a black cab to South London in the evening!!

Well, from now on before I jump into a taxi I'm going to make sure the driver complies with above dress code; if he does, then I will know he's an honest and professional driver. Gosh, why didn't the BIB think of this great idea before...it will set the taxi driver standard for the world.

Would be an idea to have a checklist available for the passengers to fill in before accepting the contract of transportation. If the driver does meet the standard set, it could be an option for the fare to post it on www.whogivesaflyingfcuk.gov (or similar) for monitoring purposes by the relevant authorities.

But removing their driving flip-flops, thats a bit much! It will never happen IMHO

EDIT: I didn't read the title correctly; it is Bkk only. OK, so it might work, might even be expanded to the bus drivers, minibus drivers and even the motorbike taxis.

Edited by chrisinth

So if I read this correctly, if the taxi driver that set me up to be robbed last week had his shirt tucked in, I would still have my wallet and credit cards

Likely not, but you would have been robbed in style!

• Like 1

Looks to me like a bit of after the fact damage control.....Basically there was two back to back incidents of taxi driver attacking passengers last month. Since nearly every tourist will end up in a cab at some point, time for the police to do something. Since there would be a loss of face if the police said they were getting tough on wacko cab drivers that attacked people, the smoother Thai approach is to say the drivers have poor sartorial habits. Therefore time to drop the hammer down on them. God I love this place !!! My home country never has amazing headlines like they do here..... :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1