Sick To Be Called "Farang"

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, whenever I hear the 'falang' thingie I cringe..

Whenever I see the farang thread I cringe. Waste of bandwidth, stupid farangs.

I know, reminds me of a similar thread on another forum about using the term "black" to describe someone. waste of time and bandwidth; stupid blacks.

Just being sarcastic to show you how silly you sound.

I think you dont like being called Farang/Falang, you should consider booking a ticket OUT of Thailand and back to the rain.

Agreed, had a conversation with my white friend from Alabama about the issue; he said if blacks don't like being called the "N" word then they should swim back to Africa.

Again, being sarcastic to show you how silly and racist you sound.

If you were exposed to a lot of filipino culture, really had a lot of good friends that were not asian americans, but indeed were non asian immigrants, and still you would always call your friends, just asian

We are not talking about specific people. We are talking about a group and a group of Japanese, Korean, Thai and Chinese people can be called Asian without any insult.

well thats just exactly my point, if you dont know them very well, and you just see em from a distance, sure, you would just refer to them as asians. but if you started to become close to some of them, you would very soon realize that the common term "asian", would not be sufficient enough in most cases.

And that is my whole point, thais should, by now, know, because they have come in contact with a lot of light skinned people, many of them already married to us, that it is in fact a huge difference, between different farang countries.

I just saw the other day, in a tv show, they referred to english as "pasa farang". I love thai culture, but does it mean I must love every aspect of it, nope. This particular thing, I do not agree with.

Edited by ayayay
  • Like 1

So what? We are not talking about one specific person. We are talking about groups. No matter how much I know about Filipinos or Koreans or Chinese, I refer to the whole group as Asians - just like Thais refer to caucasian Westerners as farangs.

So what? We are not talking about one specific person. We are talking about groups. No matter how much I know about Filipinos or Koreans or Chinese, I refer to the whole group as Asians - just like Thais refer to caucasian Westerners as farangs.

But would you do it right in front of them? For example if you were in a fender bender with someone from Korea and they were to follow you to the police station, would you say (in front of their face) "I'll drive, the asian can follow me."

This happened to me the other day (with reference to the word "falang") and is just a random example of the way the word is used constantly in Thailand, and really its a benign example; I constantly hear the word used in a more negative tone.

But would you do it right in front of them? For example if you were in a fender bender with someone from Korea and they were to follow you to the police station, would you say (in front of their face) "I'll drive, the asian can follow me."

Under certain circumstances I would refer to someone as Asian if I did not know them, but using your example, I would not say "The Korean can follow me" either.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Read your own answer below...

Under certain circumstances I would refer to someone as Asian

See what I mean? The problem is, there are no "certain circumstances" for thais, they always refer to us as farangs.

• Like 1

Under certain circumstances I would refer to someone as Asian if I did not know them, but using your example, I would not say "The Korean can follow me" either.

If I were in a fender bender I wouldn't be that polite.. The word a-hole might be used irrespective of nationality!

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

If you are being reffered to as farang it probably means that you are acting like one. Not a bad thing to behave like a farang, but not something to be encouraged if you are thinking about living here the long haul. Garner respect from the locals and they stop calling you farang and replace it with one of their own terms.

So your a farang that thinks you have changed into a Thai? hahahah or should i say 555555+++++++++

You be trollin', yes? But he's kind of right. It's not about changing into a Thai, it's about being a decent person and being around. If you're somebody the locals can count on and feel comfortable around, you will stop being a generic farang to them, and become a person. They will still see you as somebody they can ask about what farangs think about this or that, but you'll be part of their club. :) That doesn't mean you need to behave like a Thai (whatever that means), just that you make an effort to fit in by doing the best you can to be a fellow human being. Not too different from anywhere else in the world, really. Learning the language and manners can be part of that, but perfect cultural awareness is less important than just showing the locals respect and consideration, and letting your hair down when appropriate.

• Like 1

The alternative for "farang" is "alien" which is used to describe "us" in the Thai law.

I look more like a white-skinned Westerner than E.T., so I'm not bothered.

I'm only bothered with "farang" if the tone used to express it sounds aggressive.

Using a nasty adjective like "f*cking, stupid or poor" will only express the category in which the general noun "farang" should be placed.

• Like 1

The alternative for "farang" is "alien" which is used to describe "us" in the Thai law.

I look more like a white-skinned Westerner than E.T., so I'm not bothered.

I'm only bothered with "farang" if the tone used to express it sounds aggressive.

Using a nasty adjective like "f*cking, stupid or poor" will only express the category in which the general noun "farang" should be placed.

Let's not start with the 'aliens' thing as the US sees everyone who is not a US citizen as an alien . . . though you won't be called that on the street or in reference to you

Each morning I wake up I expect to see this topic noticeable by it's absence.

So far I have been disappointed.

That's one of the reasons why I stopped waking up in the morning. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Payboy

I think you dont like being called Farang/Falang, you should consider booking a ticket OUT of Thailand and back to the rain.

Agreed, had a conversation with my white friend from Alabama about the issue; he said if blacks don't like being called the "N" word then they should swim back to Africa.

not the same. the n word is banned from the english language. falang is far from being the same word.

Each morning I wake up I expect to see this topic noticeable by it's absence.

So far I have been disappointed.

That's one of the reasons why I stopped waking up in the morning. rolleyes.gif

Hahaha, future tv comedy stars.

not the same. the n word is banned from the english language. falang is far from being the same word.

Agreed. Kilgore has a tendency to bring up examples that are so far out-in-left-field as to not even be relevant.

Kilgore, I was going to let this pass, but.... If you honestly believe that the use of the "N" word in America bears any resemblance to the use of the word "farang" in Thailand, then you are so hopelessly clueless that you really shouldn't even be rendering an opinion on this matter. You're just going to embarass yourself. Over and over again.

Muslims find everything thats not muslim racist and offensive.

What's the Thai term for 'retard'?

Potential comedy star on TV?

rolleyes.gif

Hahaha, future tv comedy stars.

Need to keep some retards entertained rolleyes.gif .

Edited by Payboy

Really? My dictionary would say different. Maybe have to update.

Kilgore, I was going to let this pass, but.... If you honestly believe that the use of the "N" word in America bears any resemblance to the use of the word "farang" in Thailand, then you are so hopelessly clueless that you really shouldn't even be rendering an opinion on this matter. You're just going to embarass yourself. Over and over again.

The 'N' word? Seriously? I think you have just embarrassed yourself

11 pages?

Ah well. I must go now and get my luk-krueng daughter from school.

Whoops. dam_n me and my racist mouth

Well, if that's how you refer to your daughter . . . good luck to you

Yep

That's what we call her actually. Didn't bother giving her a name

• Like 2

The 'N' word? Seriously? I think you have just embarrassed yourself

Please enlighten me. Perhaps your ignorance can rival Kilgore....