Email Scam….Death Threat.

Tonto21

Tonto21, I still think it is a wind-up by one of your mates. i am quite sure that the normal scumbags that release this kind of mail do not have software or code to remove fields from CV's and move it to the spam mail before sending as there is no standard fields for CV's. They sure aren't going to copy and paste if they are bulk mailing.

The point about CV's is very interesting, and they obviously need to be in the public sector for people to read them. My advice for this is never send a working copy (ie, .doc) but change to PDF. Yes, now a days it is easy to copy from PDF, so take an extra step and scan the working file and then turn the scan into PDF. When you scan, you change the format to image (jpg, tiff, giff, bmp) and this makes it harder to extract from.

I know there are certain companies that prefer the format of the CV in "Word" format; good luck there!

It doesn't need to be bulk email. If they get details off CVs and send a thousand emails a week, they only need one idiot to pay for it to be worth while.

There are two possibilities: Either it's a general scam mail, and you delete it like any other 219 mail.

Or it contains some genuine information about you. That's when you contact the police.

Never, or should I say NEVER, reply to such a mail.

How would you know they "had all that info" unless you opened it?

Far better never to open an email that you don't recognise unless, of course, you think someone may be 'after you'! 555

Yes, very funny (not) if I have an email that guarantees a larger penis (do you need one? I think you may) or one that promises I can last longer (can you?) then it automatically goes in to spam, plus any mail that starts with 'hello my friend' is treated in the same fashion, contrary to popular belief, I do know and am in constant close contact with most Nigerian Princes and Bank Managers, which of course I delete instantly as they are worthless.

If however, I receive an email that falls outside that spectrum, I will open it, if that email then contains information that goes beyond my freely available persona (which is pretty much zilch) I would start looking over my shoulder.

It's all academic anyway, the OP is either a wind up merchant or one of his mates is, or

Hitman scam:

http://ago.mo.gov/Co...hitman-scam.htm

scamorama

http://www.scamorama...nes_hitlad.html

419 Eater

http://forum.419eate...ic.php?t=185181

Iditos View - Conversation with a hitman

http://idiotsview.bl...th-hit-man.html

And the list goes on.

Save yourself a load of hassle and delete without opening this crap. It`s easy to tell just by the senders names and the titles.

Yeah, well done Sherlock.

However.... there is always a however.

Those scams are fairly well known and should be dismissed instantly.

And to be honest I really can't be bothered discussing this, but if you can work out my real name, my address, have a photo of me and you know my phone number........ you win ten pounds.

Watch it, or I`ll make you an offer you can`t refuse.

I wonder if this hitman does contracts on wholesale? If so, than I have a whole list of names for him, including the mother in law.

In the UK both of the emails that were sent were criminal offences with a maximum sentence of 10 years gaol under Section 16 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861.

It states that a person who without lawful excuse makes to another a threat, intending that that other would fear it would be carried out, to kill that other or a third person shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

In considering the offence, it does not matter whether the accused intends to kill; his intent has to be that the other person would fear the threat would be carried out to kill that person or a third person.

• Like 1

Tonto21, I still think it is a wind-up by one of your mates. i am quite sure that the normal scumbags that release this kind of mail do not have software or code to remove fields from CV's and move it to the spam mail before sending as there is no standard fields for CV's. They sure aren't going to copy and paste if they are bulk mailing.

The point about CV's is very interesting, and they obviously need to be in the public sector for people to read them. My advice for this is never send a working copy (ie, .doc) but change to PDF. Yes, now a days it is easy to copy from PDF, so take an extra step and scan the working file and then turn the scan into PDF. When you scan, you change the format to image (jpg, tiff, giff, bmp) and this makes it harder to extract from.

I know there are certain companies that prefer the format of the CV in "Word" format; good luck there!

It doesn't need to be bulk email. If they get details off CVs and send a thousand emails a week, they only need one idiot to pay for it to be worth while.

I think the OP only received the one email with his details on it?

To me it would be a pointless exercise to send thousands of emails to the same address as this is a personal attack in that the details are only concerning the OP. Nobody else would be interested.

To me it would be a pointless exercise to send thousands of emails to the same address as this is a personal attack in that the details are only concerning the OP. Nobody else would be interested.

I wasn't talking about thousands of emails to the same address, but going through CVs and sending individual emails for each CV. Time consuming, but just one idiot pays the "ransom" and it becomes worth while.

I wasn't talking about thousands of emails to the same address, but going through CVs and sending individual emails for each CV. Time consuming, but just one idiot pays the "ransom" and it becomes worth while.

True, it could be done, and yes, there will always, somewhere, sometime be that idiot that will reply. if someone concentrated on one area, in this case CV's, that are available to search engines in the public areas, then there is not a lot you can do about it.

Be aware, can be dangerous out there!

Hi chrisinth, a pointless exercise…….. Yes I would agree, if it was someone like you, me or 99.9% of people reading this. However there are people who have nothing and want everything ‘we’ have!

Sending a death threat with some personal detail tends to add a bit of zing, and make the reader sit-up, know what I mean.

Someone could send these out with no details……..But would I have bothered to open this topic if there were no personal details…..And how many of you replying would have?

No mates of mine would post this, I just know they wouldn’t; besides, the personal details are to generic….and no photo………The whole threat is generic, all they do is send the same email out with different personal details.

The clincher for me is they don’t know my movements. If this was for real, there would be far more detail about the intended victims movements and habits to leave no doubt they were being watched. If they had shown my previous days movements along with a photo…… well. That would have been a game changer.

If this was a local hit, (Thailand) small time hit man, he would just take the money and ‘whack’……. job done!

These jokers claim to be international hit men, well I don’t know anyone who would not either do it themselves or pay no more than a thousand Baht to get rid of me.

I posted the emails not because I’m worried by them, but to give a heads up to others that these emails are out there, fact is everyone reacts different to stressful situations, and if I can possible save someone, what could be a very stressful time reading these threats…….Then, I think that’s a good thing.

Hi chrisinth, a pointless exercise…….. Yes I would agree, if it was someone like you, me or 99.9% of people reading this. However there are people who have nothing and want everything ‘we’ have!

Sending a death threat with some personal detail tends to add a bit of zing, and make the reader sit-up, know what I mean.

Someone could send these out with no details……..But would I have bothered to open this topic if there were no personal details…..And how many of you replying would have?

No mates of mine would post this, I just know they wouldn’t; besides, the personal details are to generic….and no photo………The whole threat is generic, all they do is send the same email out with different personal details.

The clincher for me is they don’t know my movements. If this was for real, there would be far more detail about the intended victims movements and habits to leave no doubt they were being watched. If they had shown my previous days movements along with a photo…… well. That would have been a game changer.

If this was a local hit, (Thailand) small time hit man, he would just take the money and ‘whack’……. job done!

These jokers claim to be international hit men, well I don’t know anyone who would not either do it themselves or pay no more than a thousand Baht to get rid of me.

I posted the emails not because I’m worried by them, but to give a heads up to others that these emails are out there, fact is everyone reacts different to stressful situations, and if I can possible save someone, what could be a very stressful time reading these threats…….Then, I think that’s a good thing.

Hi Tonto,

Like yourself, this is the first time i have seen this type of mail, displaying details (other than first name) that should not be publically available and the twist on the death threat like you say makes the reader pay a bit more attention.

I also understand that you recognise it for what it is and the fact that you are sharing it is, in your own words, a good thing. If you are sure it didn't come from any of your mates, then that also is a good thing. Truthfully, I have no idea what technology/harvesting methods these people are using as they always stay that one step ahead of the game. What I was trying to point out was (simple) ways to protect personal information that you need to have in the public sector, in this case the posting of a CV.

BTW, what was the email address & IP they used? Not that this means much as it can easily be redirected through proxy or sent from a bot infected computer, but might be a heads up for others to be aware off. Certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and once again cheers for raising the issue.

Hi Tonto,

Like yourself, this is the first time i have seen this type of mail, displaying details (other than first name) that should not be publically available and the twist on the death threat like you say makes the reader pay a bit more attention.

I also understand that you recognise it for what it is and the fact that you are sharing it is, in your own words, a good thing. If you are sure it didn't come from any of your mates, then that also is a good thing. Truthfully, I have no idea what technology/harvesting methods these people are using as they always stay that one step ahead of the game. What I was trying to point out was (simple) ways to protect personal information that you need to have in the public sector, in this case the posting of a CV.

BTW, what was the email address & IP they used? Not that this means much as it can easily be redirected through proxy or sent from a bot infected computer, but might be a heads up for others to be aware off. Certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and once again cheers for raising the issue.

Well, if everybody puts their details on facebook, you shouldn't be surprised if it gets read...

Seems to me that they have hacked / used your facebook-account or any other social-network-account you are involved in.

Mmmmm. Come on ‘saengsureeya’ keep up mate, I’ve already said this info has come from my CV…..It fits info I put in my CV.

If they had hacked, my social-network-account they would have far more personal information to play with.

Update;

As I said, in the topic post I sometimes reply to these emails, however I don’t use my email address, I cut and paste to a new page and reply using a disposable address. This I think tells me, they don’t know who I am, and as pointed out already I also think they send hundreds of these out.

Here is a follow up mail I received.

“You may think is a joking matter . as I am talking to you right now , my men is after you , just do what I ask you to do . here is a little prove, for you to know that the person behind this knew you too well. this ******** is your Birthday, you work as ***********? (I removed)

You need to be very much fast on this matter, if you follow my instruction, I will give you the video Tape, and with this tape you can hold them bot in court and police ,( I am a professional in this flied, I only use the very best tools) when I found out that you are innocent of the accuse, so I make out this time to contact you. Unfortunately international crime syndicates won't admit to mistakes and cancel the hit so I will be force to carry out the assassination on you.

There is an option for me to help you in order for you to know who had paid NIKITA for your DEATH and also the reason. don't forget my men had been monitoring you for the past few days and daily record of your activities is been sent to me but I have refuse to order your DEATH.

Get back to me if you value your LIFE with all due speed to make the payment now or else I regret I will have to carry out my original contract to assassinate you

Notice. do not tell any one about this , and stay at home . or in the hotel before 7:30 pm , till you get the tape.

Thank

Nikita”

I personally think it's a mistake to respond to this guy. Now he knows he has your attention. Of course now, you can seriously <deleted> with him if you want. Just tell him you've sent the money.

Seems to me that they have hacked / used your facebook-account or any other social-network-account you are involved in.

Mmmmm. Come on ‘saengsureeya’ keep up mate, I’ve already said this info has come from my CV…..It fits info I put in my CV.

If they had hacked, my social-network-account they would have far more personal information to play with.

And if they knew your personal history l think they would move on if it was for real. And l mean that in a friendly way. jap.gif .

And if they knew your personal history l think they would move on if it was for real. And l mean that in a friendly way. jap.gif .

You have a point ‘transam’ as do others about not replying…However , when I reply I cut and paste there email, remove any reference to me and send with a disposable email address…..Something tells me, from past experience with “hello friend, I’m an African Prince” letters, their eyes are on the $ not, looking where the emails are coming from, as I then get replies to the disposable email address, which I bin without opening.

These last replies I sent where a coop of ideas, (and abuse) from family and friends. Ok, childish I know, but we had a good laugh with the email I sent.

You have a point ‘transam’ as do others about not replying…However , when I reply I cut and paste there email, remove any reference to me and send with a disposable email address…..Something tells me, from past experience with “hello friend, I’m an African Prince” letters, their eyes are on the $ not, looking where the emails are coming from, as I then get replies to the disposable email address, which I bin without opening.

These last replies I sent where a coop of ideas, (and abuse) from family and friends. Ok, childish I know, but we had a good laugh with the email I sent.

There's actually a website that explains in detail how to screw with these guys. It gives some suggestions such as how to tell them convincingly that you've sent the money when you haven't. And it'll make them actually have to go and check, thereby ruining their whole day having to chase a bogus wire transfer. Imagine that.

You have a point ‘transam’ as do others about not replying…However , when I reply I cut and paste there email, remove any reference to me and send with a disposable email address…..Something tells me, from past experience with “hello friend, I’m an African Prince†letters, their eyes are on the $ not, looking where the emails are coming from, as I then get replies to the disposable email address, which I bin without opening.

So you cut and paste their email address, remove any reference to yourself, and they can still reply with your information?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

There's actually a website that explains in detail how to screw with these guys. It gives some suggestions such as how to tell them convincingly that you've sent the money when you haven't. And it'll make them actually have to go and check, thereby ruining their whole day having to chase a bogus wire transfer. Imagine that.

I only know the 419eater page, which was linked in a post somewhere above. They clearly state that you shouldn't try this at home, because if you are not careful, they can find out who you are and where you live.

Since the scammer in this case knows that already, I wouldn't risk playing with him. Instead, I would report to the police, just in case. The FBI has a webpage for this.

Too late, you already failed the "I am an internet moron" test, the nasty guy with a limp will turn up at your house tomorrow and kill you and everyone you have ever known with an ACME kill everyone he knows Gun ........