2012 All Food Related.Restaurants,Recipes, Suggestions Etc... Best Pizza, Hamburger,Thai Food, Seafood,European Food.......

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried breakfast at Secret Garden this morning and must say was a bit disapointed. Great setting and good sevice but 200 baht for a full english was on the high side considering you only get half a tomato and a small portion of beans (the cheap ones too, not even Brooks!) fried eggs overcooked too. Ther was a very nice piece of carrot carved into a flower, but not really sure if a full english breakfast is the place for that. I think there are a couple of better value for money options availably close by in this very competative breakfast market!

Tried breakfast at Secret Garden this morning and must say was a bit disapointed. Great setting and good sevice but 200 baht for a full english was on the high side considering you only get half a tomato and a small portion of beans (the cheap ones too, not even Brooks!) fried eggs overcooked too. Ther was a very nice piece of carrot carved into a flower, but not really sure if a full english breakfast is the place for that. I think there are a couple of better value for money options availably close by in this very competative breakfast market!

Hmmm - It has recently changed hands - I will have to go back and carry out another sampling.

• 2 weeks later...

The southside has a new restaurant and it's well worth making the effort to try it. Sweet Sisters (run by Detlev and Noiy) opened last weekend at the Bang Kao crossroad, just past the Alhambra rum distillery heading towards Tongkrut.

The menu stresses healthy eating with many vegetarian and vegan dishes (all fruit and veg is locally sourced and organic whenever possible), but there are a few seafood and chicken options. There's a huge variety of fresh fruit and vegetable juices and shakes that can be mixed and matched for 80B. I tried the Morning Buzz shake, an odd-sounding mango, passion fruit and mint concoction that had me slurping greedily to get the last drop, while the wife had a glass of white wine (100B).

Would we go back? In a heartbeat.

Edited by Rooo
Trimmed post
  • Like 1

Firstly I have no affiliation or commercial interest in this message, this is for the benefit of those that love a good Sunday roast.

Just thought i'd let you know that the Lazy Coconut is doing Sunday roast again from the You & Me restaurant near the traffic lights in Maenam, virtually opposite 7/11.

We went today and it is exactly the same super tasty roast we used to love before at the Coconut.

Firstly I have no affiliation or commercial interest in this message, this is for the benefit of those that love a good Sunday roast.

Just thought i'd let you know that the Lazy Coconut is doing Sunday roast again from the You & Me restaurant near the traffic lights in Maenam, virtually opposite 7/11.

We went today and it is exactly the same super tasty roast we used to love before at the Coconut.

Thanks that is one of the best roasts on the island

• Like 1

Hey Bob, thanks for the update but you should have put this in the food section. It will just get lost here.

I have also heard that Angela's Bakery in Maenam is doing a fine Sunday Roast as well. Looks like that is the nest two Sundays booked up. licklips.gif

• Like 1

Hey Bob, thanks for the update but you should have put this in the food section. It will just get lost here.

I have also heard that Angela's Bakery in Maenam is doing a fine Sunday Roast as well. Looks like that is the nest two Sundays booked up. licklips.gif

in all honestyi rarely lookat the food section probably the easiest way to spead quick island news on here.

Some ground rules here:

I have previously mentioned that this is a food thread & recommendations restaurants etc.........It is not to be used as blatant advertisement. Some posts do cross the line.

A quick review is welcome , please do not abuse the privilege. If these type of posts appear again , I will just delete them.

Yeah i've heard that too, that's me next week :)

I was back on Samui last week and had Sunday roast at Angela's. I had the roast pork with crackling and all the trimmings, was excellent and good value in my opinion. She also had beef and lamb I think. Left with the usual takeaway of tiramisu and some meat pies.

Have not tried the Lazy Coconut so can not comment on them.....

• 2 weeks later...

Drove by Angela's this evening..... they were not open...(about 6.30 ) I think it is Sunday? ... my computer says it is..... wink.pngbiggrin.png

Only open lunchtimes - drive slower and read the sign. rolleyes.gif

That's a bit early for Sunday dinner for me.....sad.png .... guess I'll have to continue to make my own! wink.png

Hmmm - It has recently changed hands - I will have to go back and carry out another sampling.

Starting August 25 Riks Restaurant, until now at the Ghostroad, will move to Secret Garden.

Starting August 25 Riks Restaurant, until now at the Ghostroad, will move to Secret Garden.

Well that is helpful to know.... but where is the Secret Garden....? A secret is it? blink.png

Well that is helpful to know.... but where is the Secret Garden....? A secret is it? blink.png

Bang Rak Jim, seaside.

well I thought others might like to know, so as not to confuse with the Secret Garden located somewhere in the middle of the island.....biggrin.pngtongue.png

I'll stick to my cornflakes and coffee coffee1.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Bang Rak Jim, seaside.

well I thought others might like to know, so as not to confuse with the Secret Garden located somewhere in the middle of the island.....biggrin.pngtongue.png

That would be the MAJIC garden jimmy!

Bang Rak Jim, seaside.

That would be the MAJIC garden jimmy!

Oh yes... well I was close! whistling.gif

It's the heat, a few of us are having memory problems lately ..... oh you mean the Magic Garden.... right! giggle.gif

Big C must have melted... he's not been around much lately, good thing a few of use can take up the slack.....biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out that new place "Steak & More" just near lights at Maenam yesterday. 120 Baht CheeseBurger wasn't bad for the price. Went back in the evening to try out the steak.

It was like chewing on leather, except it was virtually raw not overcooked. It was only 189 Baht but I was hoping to uncover a gem.

I will go back and try the Thai food, the staff are nice ,the burger was pretty good and the shakes were great. Prices pretty cheap. They have an air-con dining option too.

the shakes were great. Prices pretty cheap.

Bob, were the shakes the same as you get in every Thai restaurant, or were they the thick American style shakes, similar to what you find in McDonalds?

No the usual ice based fruit shakes. I find some places are better than others. Sugarless and spoonfuls of pineapple ice. Thick but not creamy. I'm not sure if they actually have milk based I didn't check. I just love ice fruit shakes I never get sick of them.

Next time I'm in for a bite I'll check it out and give it go for a change if they have them.

Edited by BangrakBob