Putting Jelly On Bread Then Putting It In A Toaster

Nowhereman60

You may have missed that jam and toast isn't really a Thai dish, nor are toasters commonly used, you are going to have issues with the unititated using them.

laugh.pnglaugh.png and yet anotherlaugh.png

Please tell me this comment was made sarcastically....

Do tell me what I should have said so that I can hang out with the other cool kids please.

Perhaps if you had ended your sentence with "brah" or "dude"...........

I'm sure Ralph Wiggum would have done the same with the toaster as the op's maid..

that is unpossible....

Edited by samran

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a remote sawmill camp once near Mackenzie Lake in northern BC and there was a local indigenous fellow in the dining hall and with his serving tray in the mess line he proceeded to dump the contents of the individual dishes on offer onto the tray...he then sat down and mixed the mishmash together and enjoyed his meal...with lots of tabasco...

the other diners observed and shrugged...'whatever floats yer boat...'

easier to clean up afterwards, I surmised...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I was in a remote sawmill camp once near Mackenzie Lake in northern BC and there was a local indigenous fellow in the dining hall and with his serving tray in the mess line he proceeded to dump the contents of the individual dishes on offer onto the tray...he then sat down and mixed the mishmash together and enjoyed his meal...with lots of tabasco...

That made me laugh at old memories. I've seen the same thing myself. At least he didn't put the plastic tray on the stove to warm it up.

You may have missed that jam and toast isn't really a Thai dish, nor are toasters commonly used, you are going to have issues with the unititated using them.

So by extension, it would be understandable for a westerner to put all of the ingredients for khao phad talay into a wok (not used much in the west) stir fry, add uncooked rice, then add water to boil the rice?

The missing "what if" gene makes more sense.

And, please sir, don't pick your nose when discussing food.

• Like 1

We take so many things of modern day for granted, having grownup with then. It reminds me of a story of only a few years ago, I put on a vinyl record while at my sisters house, left it playing while doing some work. My niece came in a while later and asked if she could turn it off, as she wished to watch a bit of TV...no problem I said, back to my work....sure enough 10min later, she comes back, asking where's the stop button? Is she stupid? Nope. My 84 yo father still can't manage to operate his HDD DVD Player...again no fool. My wife's Mum, has no inclination to use the microwave we got her last year, it just gathers dust on the bench.... You may look at what people have grown up with. Perhaps you should show her once or twice, if she then does it again, then for sure she's just plain dumb.

Oz

• Like 2

So by extension, it would be understandable for a westerner to put all of the ingredients for khao phad talay into a wok (not used much in the west) stir fry, add uncooked rice, then add water to boil the rice?

Well said; I'm sure the Thais would have a field day laughing at the "farang" with that one.

• Like 1

It was me cleaning out the toaster, I wouldn't let her touch the dam_n thing again. But thanks for your replies I just it just people do the stupidest things sometime and nothing to do with the culture.

Don't let her try french toast! That would probably take you off the grid!

and people trying to get a piece of stuck toast out of the toaster using a knife. hair raising.

Oops, I did that less than 10 minutes ago, although I did unplug the toaster first. wink.png

Wheres your sense of adventure? A good pair of insulated flip-flops and away you go, bit like buck-a-roo cept the adult versionlaugh.png

That sounds fine to me

If one doesn't learn a kid how to ride a bike, how to speak, how to swim, how to talk, how to toast a slice of bread..........how can the kid now?

Has nothing to do with culture. Happens everywhere.

Not quite the same; its kind of like a kid trying to ride a bike by turning it upside down; if any logical thought was passing through the person's head, they would not do that; same thing with the toast, IMHO

• Like 1

That story reminds me of meal times in the navy. When it's rough you get everything with gravy, including your pudding. Sometimes for a treat you get everything with custard. Still it all goes down the same hole. licklips.gif

• Like 1

coffee1.gif I swear this is a true story.

I once saw a British guy in the Ambassador hotel in Bangkok do the following at the breakfast brunch area:

1. Take two pieces of bread. Apparently he wanted a toasted cheese sandwich.

2. Spread butter on one side of both slices of bread.

3. Take two pieces of sliced cheese and put them on the two slices of buttered bread, then placed them together with the cheese inside.

4. Put the entire thing into the revolving toaster and set it on "high" (so it would "toast better" he later said).

5. And let the whole thing toast.

Of course, the cheese melted inside the toaster, ran out of the bread, and ran on to the hot toaster elements inside.

He got his "sandwich" out, but most of the two slices of cheese was "missing". Shortly afterward, the toaster began to smoke. A few of the staff came over to look at the snoking toaster. No one apparently thought of unplugging it. After smoking for a while flames began to come out of the toaster.

Then one of the staff, thinking quickly, grabbed a nearby pitcher of Orange juice and emptied on the toaster to stop the flames. That didn't work to well, but it made an impressive display of sparks when the water in the Orange juice hit the heating elements in the still plugged in toaster.

Eventially someone had the idea of unplugging the toaster...which stopped the show of smoke, flames, and steam.

Good comedy though while it lasted.

licklips.gif

Thats interesting, considering I have done that many times and the toaster has never caught fire, perhaps he used too much cheese, or maybe the toaster was faulty, or perhaps it didnt really happen but you always wished it had ??

cheers

How many people here made the faux pas of tasting the water with lemon in used to clean your hands after eating seafood?

I know I did. Perhaps that was my culture?

Thanks for mentioning this, brings back memories.

My grandparents were both first-generation US, of poor immigrant families.

On their honeymoon they went to a 'fancy' restaurant, I think it was the first time either of them encountered a table setting with multiple forks, waiters serving multi-course meals, etc.

They worked their way through the courses, and eventually the waiter brought a finger bowl.

"What? More soup?" said my grandfather.

It was the family joke, a family gathering wouldn't be complete without the re-telling.

If you watch carefully, in the movie Scarface there is a moment where the Al Pacino character drinks from the finger bowl. it's not elaborated on, if you blinked you missed it.

How many people here made the faux pas of tasting the water with lemon in used to clean your hands after eating seafood?

I know I did. Perhaps that was my culture?

Thanks for mentioning this, brings back memories.

My grandparents were both first-generation US, of poor immigrant families.

On their honeymoon they went to a 'fancy' restaurant, I think it was the first time either of them encountered a table setting with multiple forks, waiters serving multi-course meals, etc.

They worked their way through the courses, and eventually the waiter brought a finger bowl.

"What? More soup?" said my grandfather.

It was the family joke, a family gathering wouldn't be complete without the re-telling.

If you watch carefully, in the movie Scarface there is a moment where the Al Pacino character drinks from the finger bowl. it's not elaborated on, if you blinked you missed it.

I don't think its quite the same; one has to do with culture (drinking or washing from a bowl are both logical) and the other is just simple lack of thought (that jelly won't slide of the bread) and no understanding of the basic principles of physics.

It seems very a priori to me that one would know jelly won't stand uprightsmile.png .

Don't be so harsh. I liken it to a birth defect. The people you are referring to (notice I don't specify nationality) have a missing gene. It is called the "what if?" gene. i.e.:

What if there is a bus coming at us as I pass another bus at high speed on this blind corner?

What if a vehicle is coming down the lane I want to pull into without even looking?

and your example...

What if I spread jam on a piece of bread and then turn it on it's side or upside down?

Happens all around the world just seems to be an intense concentration of the defect in this general area...

I could add the two people ( in a row ) I saw riding a m'bike ( helmetless of course ) holding one hand to shield eyes from the sun, or the ones that hold an umbrella while riding, or the family of 6 on one bike, or the guy that had one arm in a sling riding down a road with a lot of bumps in it.

Anyone that's been in LOS more than 5 minutes has experienced the wonders of Thai eyes ( don't get affected by airborn debris while riding a bike at 50kph, or can arc weld without wearing even sunglasses ).

I know that people all over the world do stupid things, it's just that there seem to be so many in LOS that believe nothing bad could POSSIBLY happen to them.

You just reminded me of the scene where Mr Bean had a drink of coffee by putting coffee powder in his mouth and adding sugar and milk before pouring hot water from a hotwater bottle into his mouth! Seemed funny at the time anyway.

That sounds fine to me

You would need to then reduce the heat and cover the the pan....

Two days to clean mess from your toaster. I think you need a new maid or was it you cleaning and thats why your ranting? giggle.gif

thats what i was thinking

it took him 2 whole days to clean a toaster ? :D

Don't be so harsh. I liken it to a birth defect. The people you are referring to (notice I don't specify nationality) have a missing gene. It is called the "what if?" gene. i.e.:

What if there is a bus coming at us as I pass another bus at high speed on this blind corner?

What if a vehicle is coming down the lane I want to pull into without even looking?

and your example...

What if I spread jam on a piece of bread and then turn it on it's side or upside down?

Happens all around the world just seems to be an intense concentration of the defect in this general area...

Now aint THAT the truth. The missing "what if" gene. Yup, that's got to be it. I've got to remember that one.

I'm standing at the top of this high cliff... what will happen if I take two more steps forward?

And the Thai g/f / wife / etc., thinks, 'What If' I just push as he is looking over the balcony?

jelly or jam with Philadelphia cream cheese on air bread is a USA 'must have'...when I was in Scotland I had a look at the wonderful 'scottish square loaf' and then thought about cream cheese and jelly...but I never did get around to it, got hooked on the bacon sarnies...

Edited by tutsiwarrior