Fatal Mugging In Bangkok Caught On CCTV

webfact

Fatal mugging caught on CCTV

The Nation

591px-Three_Surveillance_cameras.jpg

Surveillance cameras, file photo. Source: wikimedia

BANGKOK: -- A fatal stabbing and robbery of a man by four motorbike-riding muggers in central Bangkok - captured in gruesome security camera footage - occurred yesterday as police are seeking to install more CCTV cameras.

Thong Lor police are investigating the death of Buncherd Khorklangyai, 37, who was seen walking out of a store at 3am yesterday.

Four attackers approached him and demanded his money. They beat and knifed him until he collapsed, snatched his wallet and fled on two motorcycles. Buncherd died at the scene, near the entrance to Sukhumvit Soi 51.

The footage captured two of the attackers on a pink Yamaha Fino, but Pol Colonel Itthiphol Atchariyapradit called on the media to not publish the footage in hopes of preventing the attackers from altering the appearance of the motorbike. The colour and brand of the other motorbike is not yet known.

The attackers are thought to be between 20 and 25 years of age, and were possibly riding around, looking for a random target, the senior commander said.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau is seeking approval from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to install thousands more CCTV cameras.

Deputy commander Pol Maj General Pisit Pisutsak said stations under the Metropolitan Police Bureau had done surveys and submitted reports outlining what areas lacked security cameras.

However, some of the surveys seemed to be very superficial and would need to be done again, Pisit said.

The deputy chief was speaking after a meeting to examine the reports sent in by the police districts. All stations would be required to resubmit their surveys tomorrow, he said.

Pisit said he had instructed station commanders to ensure that all sois and sub-sois under their jurisdiction were properly surveyed, to ensure the police have eyes everywhere. If a crime occurred at a location where there were no cameras in place and police failed to collect the necessary evidence, they would be punished because the bureau had given them the opportunity to suggest places in need of the cameras.

A total of 17,000 CCTV cameras have been already installed by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the private sector at residential buildings, shopping areas and banks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-08

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It supports the coincidental suggestion we need more cctv cameras recording much of what we do. It has upside and downside. Better security, possibly, although a camera is hardly going to stop a knife attack. Less privacy, and an increased ability for government agencies to monitor much of what we do, certainly. Its therefore a tradeoff between Big Brotherliness and potentially increased security, mostly after the event.

The footage captured two of the attackers on a pink Yamaha Fino, but Pol Colonel Itthiphol Atchariyapradit called on the media to not publish the footage in hopes of preventing the attackers from altering the appearance of the motorbike.

We got you on camera senselessly killing this man, we know you were riding a pink Yamaha Fino, but we won't show you a picture of your bike because only then will you think to alter its appearance... Glad these guys are on the case.

yes my thoughts exactly.. like if the robbers reading this story might wonder if its them...... best way would have been to not release the story however the police and security associations here must be desperate to try and show the public they are on the case following the bombing debacle last month

Needless to say condolences to victims family and friends.. senseless crime and i would suspect something more than just a random " lets roll this guy".

Showing the video on TV and asking the public for assistance would probably help in capturing these men, as for where to place CCTV cameras, areas where the crime rate is highest?

Agree! Broadcast the video on national tv with a confidential phone in line and almost without doubt the scum would be shopped

Showing the video on TV and asking the public for assistance would probably help in capturing these men, as for where to place CCTV cameras, areas where the crime rate is highest?

Agree! Broadcast the video on national tv with a confidential phone in line and almost without doubt the scum would be shopped

a picture of the bikes and some stills of their faces (if possible) would do, no need to broadcast the actual video imho.

but i'm agreeing with ye're sentiments.

absolute scum.

why stab the guy?

four of them is enough to throw a few punches, steal his wallet and let the man live the rest of his life.

it would make your bloid boil, this kind of shit!

Yet you condone the launching of grenades into BTS stations that kill innocent passersby. Odd.

This kind of frenzied attack bears the hallmark of people cranked up on yaba or ice.

But Rick, if drugs were legalized and addicts had access to cheaper, quality drugs, random acts of violence like this would not occur.

• Like 1

The footage captured two of the attackers on a pink Yamaha Fino, but Pol Colonel Itthiphol Atchariyapradit called on the media to not publish the footage in hopes of preventing the attackers from altering the appearance of the motorbike.

We got you on camera senselessly killing this man, we know you were riding a pink Yamaha Fino, but we won't show you a picture of your bike because only then will you think to alter its appearance... Glad these guys are on the case.

yes my thoughts exactly.. like if the robbers reading this story might wonder if its them...... best way would have been to not release the story however the police and security associations here must be desperate to try and show the public they are on the case following the bombing debacle last month

Needless to say condolences to victims family and friends.. senseless crime and i would suspect something more than just a random " lets roll this guy".

Seems that the whole purpose of releasing this story is to justify a budget for more cameras.

Edited by Payboy
  • Like 1

It supports the coincidental suggestion we need more cctv cameras recording much of what we do. It has upside and downside. Better security, possibly, although a camera is hardly going to stop a knife attack. Less privacy, and an increased ability for government agencies to monitor much of what we do, certainly. Its therefore a tradeoff between Big Brotherliness and potentially increased security, mostly after the event.

I think increased security wins it for me - if just one incident like this can be avoided, it is worth the Big Brother trade off.

Seems that the whole purpose of releasing this story is to justify a budget for more cameras.

unfortunately you seem to be 100% correct, if they want to talk about cctv camera's then release the footage otherwise don't mention it at all, my guess is the footage is so bad that there is no point, very sad story and probably more common than the authorities would admit too, it seems to me that from recent incidents reported around Bangkok and the reaction from the authorities a lot of this stuff is covered up in the interests of tourism, I wonder what the real crime rates are ?

I say let the police do their job first and maybe as we speak they have sketch artists and video enhancers working with them. Maybe today they will release the face of some of these scum bags or even get the plate number and arrest them. Let's just see rather then speculating.

Probably the images are not clear enough to make any positive id, as is usually the case with these ever-present cameras.

I think you have hit that on the head with that statement. I see smedly agrees as well. This was found in UK when they first installed the CCTV systems, in that they were getting the images but the evidence could not be used in a court of law because the resolution from the footage was not clear enough. I don't know what system they have here, but taking into consideration of the overall cost of installing high resolution equipment on the scale they are talking about, I for one wouldn't be that optimistic.

An interesting statement in the article:

"Pisit said he had instructed station commanders to ensure that all sois and sub-sois under their jurisdiction were properly surveyed, to ensure the police have eyes everywhere. If a crime occurred at a location where there were no cameras in place and police failed to collect the necessary evidence, they would be punished because the bureau had given them the opportunity to suggest places in need of the cameras."

He has stated that the police have carried out surveys for the installation of CCTV, but also makes the statement:

"However, some of the surveys seemed to be very superficial and would need to be done again, Pisit said"

"All stations would be required to resubmit their surveys tomorrow, he said."

Get it right the first time and take the pressure off the individual districts. I realise he is playing to the media with this, in my opinion TMI.

I think increased security wins it for me - if just one incident like this can be avoided, it is worth the Big Brother trade off.

I for one prefer my civil liberties to big brother. Did you ever read, 1984?

I'm sure the soviets, if they had continued would support you.

The most effective approach is a reward, usually I would say it isn't because it's too easy to take anyone down for a quick buck but there is cctv evidence so it's gonna be above board. A reward will work well.

A bit off topic, I would love to see some statistics drawing a correlation between crime rates and numbers of cameras in BKK as more cameras are installed.

Just before yesterday night, at about 10pm, i was riding my scooter on a fairly large road with 3 lanes + motocy small lane, all going in the same direction.

My speed was around 90/100kmh, at one point the road was really dark because the street lights were all switched off, on the right side of the first lane was a smaller motocy going at maybe 70kmh with 2 young men in their 20's without helmets, as soon i was to pass them over (i was on the motocy lane on their left), they close in to my side and i avoided collision just because of my fast breaking, no big deal, i take over again from the right side and this time they didn't try to crash against me.

About 30 seconds later, another young man of their age was walking on the white line of the motocy lane in complete darkness, i managed to not to crash against him but it was weird!, i kept going on my way, straight ahead for another 4-5 km, then U-turn, another 500m more or less and turned into a small village road, went into a gated "thai condo" enclosure and i spotted the 2 young boys again behind the gate looking at me but without saying anything at all, they followed me.....

I am wondering how many people out there are just waiting for a random person to kill/rob, be carefull guys!

• Like 1

not if the pink motorbike would be registered to someone influental ....

ok, perhaps i'm getting too "x-filed"

but seriousely....wouldn't be the first time

if you do nothing illegal, do you have to fear if somebody follows your moves ?

So you have no objection to me installing spyware onto your PC? Or if someone knows where you are every moment?

That's quite different to you watching me walk down the street.

if you do nothing illegal, do you have to fear if somebody follows your moves ?

So you have no objection to me installing spyware onto your PC? Or if someone knows where you are every moment?

The problem it's not really knowing everything about everything and everybody, that would actually help to get rid of the bad people very quick or simply re-educate them, the problem is that the rules/law are applied differently and often unfairly, so, untill this major issue is actually solved, we will be much better off with a higher level of privacy, otherways it will be just an additional weapon in the wrong hands.

Personally i would advertise as much information as possible about this terrible crime in the hope that someone will come up with some piece of information to bring these killer where they deserve to be, someone somewhere might be able to help, if we just keep everything hidden we are losing many chances...

• Like 1