New Pcx 150

tekinsel

Hi Gerry53,

please let us know once you received the shocks and about the performance - considering to order too(Price/payment conditions?) Thanks

Cheers Jay

Hi MrJ,

Price quoted was 3990 baht for the G-Euro in XXL (up from 3900 listed). That included delivery charges from BKK to Pattaya. I paid with an online banking (K-Bank) transfer once they assured me they could get the XXL size. I almost got the G-Plus shocks but I could not find their rating in KGs. Some shops I talked with said the G-Plus was the Asian version of the G-Euro, which has already been successfully tested in the field by many PCX owners. I had emailed the YSS distributor for Thailand over 2 weeks ago to try to get answers but I got no response ??

I will post again once I have them installed and tested.

merci

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gerry53,

please let us know once you received the shocks and about the performance - considering to order too(Price/payment conditions?) Thanks

Cheers Jay

I had the YSS G-Euro gas shocks in XXL size installed and did a good test run. They worked great and took the grating on the Sukhumvit at 100 kph outside Pattaya without bottominng out. I felt I had better control than I had with the stock Honda shock absorbers. I thought the stock ones were even lighter than the ones on the PCX 125 I had even though I had read they were stronger? The XXL size are solid chrome with no red or black coloring.

The new ones also seemed to make a difference when travelling over the huge speed bumps in certain areas of Jomtien, I never grounded out. With the stock ones it was a regular occurance.

If you are over the 90 kg rating for the XL shocks it may be a good idea to contact http://www.auto2speed.com/product_749594.749607.749719_th - they were the only supplier who could get the XXL size. They were easy to deal with through my Thai lady, good service and 3990 baht delivered to the door.

I had been getting about 118 Imperial MPG on several tests but on the last fill they didn't have 91 green so I used the 91 red, my MPG went up to 128.2 Imperial MPG.

Cheers

post-71632-0-32195700-1355896168_thumb.j

post-71632-0-82293000-1355896755_thumb.j

This past weekend rode to Phrae from Chiang Mai on my Pcx150 cruising the highway at 100kph ate up the gas. But I am not a big stickler for saving every baht just wanted to get there. The scooter handled well and I passed a lot of trucks. On the return trip took the route to PhaYao on to the 120 and 118 into Chiang Ma,i I have the YSS shocks, and the scooter handled well. Lost power on the climbs no news there, down hill was another story

This past weekend rode to Phrae from Chiang Mai on my Pcx150 cruising the highway at 100kph ate up the gas. But I am not a big stickler for saving every baht just wanted to get there. The scooter handled well and I passed a lot of trucks. On the return trip took the route to PhaYao on to the 120 and 118 into Chiang Ma,i I have the YSS shocks, and the scooter handled well. Lost power on the climbs no news there, down hill was another story

i did 500 km a few weeks ago ,2 up (so 150+kg on a pcx 125 and it held up well but drank gas like a fish) ,

people told me how economical they are ,well they arent if you keep it bouncing off the rev limiter

for about 8 hours non stop :D

i thought the bike would be knackered but its fine actually and very economical when driven normally around town

it was a tedious trip though and i wished it would go a bit faster than 101km indicated which was probably

actually about 85-90km as we were being passed by thais doing 110-160+

i did 500 km a few weeks ago ,2 up (so 150+kg on a pcx 125 and it held up well but drank gas like a fish) ,

people told me how economical they are ,well they arent if you keep it bouncing off the rev limiter

for about 8 hours non stop biggrin.png

i thought the bike would be knackered but its fine actually and very economical when driven normally around town

it was a tedious trip though and i wished it would go a bit faster than 101km indicated which was probably

actually about 85-90km as we were being passed by thais doing 110-160+

I am with you there. I am a big guy but no problem holding at a hundred on the highway. I took a break outside of Phrae and didn't look at the fuel gauge until I had left the station and when I did it was one of those moments of I do not know where the next station is and I do not know how far it is to my destination. But found a station up the road and topped off. But still a good ride and some lovely sights

Extended Range Fuel Tank

Anybody heard of such a thing for the PCX (150)? Sometimes a road trip, especially on a route that is new, it can get to be a nuisance to stop early because of not knowing when the next gasoline station is. It would be nice to get the PCX up to about 10 or 12 liters of total fuel on board. Of course, I haven't had one apart to see how the fuel tank is mounted, if there is empty space around it, etc? Unless it is a larger tank to replace the original, it can get complicated quickly with issues about filling, transfer, and vapor locking.

I doubt very much you can extend the fuel tank easily, I think the 150's tank is slightly smaller than the 125's and there must be a reason for this.

Why don't you carry 1-2 lit of extra fuel in your luggage?

I have riden mine all over thailand and by the time the tank is low 2 - 3 hours at 100 kph I need a potty break and my back and butt needs a break too. I do know a few places in thailand where there is just under 100 km between fuel and that was a problem on the my Wave. But never with the PCX. 10 - 12 Lt. of fuel would be a good 10 hour day and I would think somewhere in there one would need to stop for food, a toilet, etc !

Yep, I had a 2008 Honda Wave CZi, 110 cc with a 3.7 liter tank. Bummer to have to unstrap my bad to get to the fuel tank. The furthest I ever rode was 170 kms and the fuel guape needle was resting on the E peg. But when I filled up, it took 3.4 liters, meaning I still had .5 liter left :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick comment on fuel consumption. Normally, I drive very reasonably around Chiang Mai and stay around 60-80 (SpeedO) and had been getting around 46km/L and filling up around 230km between fill-ups. Last week I went on a 3 day trip Chiang Mai/Khon Kaen/Nong Khai/Chiang Khan/Loei and back to Chiang Mai and it was around 1600km in distance. My speeds were closer to 90-100 (SpeedO) and 80-90 (GPS verified) and my mileage dropped significantly as a result of the increased speed and terrain changes. After being back and driving normally, I can tell my numbers are creeping back to the 46km/l I had before. It all depends on how and where you are driving.

Here's a fuelly chart from the trip.

post-97417-0-08217800-1357444871_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I love my new PC 150 but there are a couple of things that annoy me.

When I ease off the accelerator quickly the engine tends to back fire a little, is this normal?

The other thing is a slight rattle in the front end.

Otherwise I love the ride and power. I intend to do some ugrades soon including new shocks and seat.

When I ease off the accelerator quickly the engine tends to back fire a little, is this normal?

Otherwise I love the ride and power. I intend to do some ugrades soon including new shocks and seat.

nEVER HEARD OF THE BACKFIRING PROBLEM BEFORE. oOPS!!!

That rattle in the front end could be loose bolts in the front end. Get on that one straight away.

As a backfire needs air it will be a small air leak between the throttle body and the cylinder or in a rubber tube if there is one connected between the throttle body and the cylinder. Or it could be that the airflow sensor in the Throttle body is dirty or faulty.

As it is a 150 I will assume it doesn't have many Kms as it could be a dodgy spark plug. Install a new plug as they are cheap.

If you are the handy type take the plastic off and with the engine idling (higher vacuum) squirt the connection between the throttle body and the engine liberally with WD-40. If there is a leak you will be able to see where the WD-40 is being sucked in.

Or take it to the dealer and if you are like me use your best pantomime Thai to explain the pop-bang-pop.

As a backfire needs air it will be a small air leak between the throttle body and the cylinder or in a rubber tube if there is one connected between the throttle body and the cylinder. Or it could be that the airflow sensor in the Throttle body is dirty or faulty.

As it is a 150 I will assume it doesn't have many Kms as it could be a dodgy spark plug. Install a new plug as they are cheap.

If you are the handy type take the plastic off and with the engine idling (higher vacuum) squirt the connection between the throttle body and the engine liberally with WD-40. If there is a leak you will be able to see where the WD-40 is being sucked in.

Or take it to the dealer and if you are like me use your best pantomime Thai to explain the pop-bang-pop.

Thank you very much for that!!!

I'll take it back to the dealer.

Thanks again.

nEVER HEARD OF THE BACKFIRING PROBLEM BEFORE. oOPS!!!

That rattle in the front end could be loose bolts in the front end. Get on that one straight away.

The rattle in the front end is actually common to all PCX's. There is a thread on this earlier. Something to do with starting to move the bike in a "higher gear" than first gear (which doesn't make sense of course as it's a CVVT transmission, if I'm not mistaken. Apparently, can be fixed by fitting a washer somewhere in the depths of the gearbox.

Mines does it a bit when cold...not really a back-fire...just a couple of pops. I just put it down to the fuelling because it's fine when warm

Mines does it a bit when cold...not really a back-fire...just a couple of pops. I just put it down to the fuelling because it's fine when warm

No mine does it all the time, especially when warm!

I'm out of the country right now but I'll take it back to the dealer when I get back.

In Brazil old Volkswagen Beetles were notorious for backfiring but their's was when one got back on the throttle not always on overrun.

I would not be concerned about small burbles fro the exhaust, most cars have some form of that just that on modern, sound insulated cars the driver is devoid of any audio feedback from the engine.

Lets not confuse rattles in the front end with CVT belt shudder in the drive train. Belt shudder is annoying but not dangerous.

That's correct. These are two different issues/problems. My PCX125 has the belt shudder when first starting out. It seems to have corrected or at least reduced over time. My PCX150 has a very slight rattle (sounds like a plastic part may not be tightly secured, perhaps the front fender) in the front end when I go over a bump. I will have the Honda shop look for the front end rattle and correct it when I take it in for the next service. Neither problem is, I think, dangerous, but the rattle should be checked.

Lets not confuse rattles in the front end with CVT belt shudder in the drive train. Belt shudder is annoying but not dangerous.

That's correct. These are two different issues/problems. My PCX125 has the belt shudder when first starting out. It seems to have corrected or at least reduced over time. My PCX150 has a very slight rattle (sounds like a plastic part may not be tightly secured, perhaps the front fender) in the front end when I go over a bump. I will have the Honda shop look for the front end rattle and correct it when I take it in for the next service. Neither problem is, I think, dangerous, but the rattle should be checked.

Ah, in my case the belt shudder comes across as a rattle in the front end. I make this assumption because the rattle is only evident when the bike is cold. Once it gets up to operating temperature, the rattle disappears. For the uninitiated like me, the belt shudder is best felt and described as a front end rattle.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone rang out their PCX yet. What kind of top speed do you get?

For the new 125 I have numbers of 110 - 112 stock on a flat road and 122-125 with aftermarket variator and 128-130 "downhill" . Going uphill (5%) is obviously slower but the difference is greater. 74-76 and 92-100. Differences in all cases are rider weight

Just curious as i wonder if the 150 and the 125 have the same final gearing.

I have had my 150 up to 110 but I am also a big guy, this was on a fairly straight piece of road. Getting to 100 no problem after that it is slow accelaration. Neal did you get the variators yet

Edited by moe666

I have had my 150 up to 110 but I am also a big guy, this was on a fairly straight piece of road. Getting to 100 no problem after that it is slow accelaration. Neal did you get the variators yet

Moe,

Not yet they were released in first week of Jan. I'm waiting for the Zoomer -X/Scoopy (imminent) so I can get some in same shipment

Will the variator for the 125 be effective for the 150?

The official J. Costa line is NO.

I've offered to send the 150 variator parts but they say they have to get their hands on an actual scooter to do some dyno testing before they release the 150 version and say they will not get a 150 in Spain until summer.

IF the actual unit is the same it may only be a minor weight change but depending on engine characteristics they may chose to design a new bell. ( ramp plate in normal CVT terms). They are sticklers for detail.

Just a follow up for the technically inclined. The old and new PCX engines are in fact quite different and have different characteristics.

The old PCX 125 J Costa variator has 12 weights at 11 grams

The new PCX 125 has 12 weights at 8.5 grams. This is quite a large difference in terms of engine characteristics

New PCX150 has 12 weights at 9 grams

I'll be ordering the 150 units soon, anyone interested can send me a PM.

Edited by VocalNeal

Well the EU/US the old PCX 125 has 15 gm. weights vs Thai 17. But I don't know what to use beyond that. Maybe less but at some point you are going to limit top speed and eliminate relaxed cruising! It is all a balancing act.

A lot of kids on my soi play with their Yamaha Mio's. They roar up and down at high rpm but when they get out on the main roads they ride as if their bikes have an on/off switch instead of a throttle.