Mountain Road From Lamai To Maenam

In Lamai I do not no the Soi name or number but if going towards Chaweng you pass Buddy Oriental resort and hang a left at the next Family Mart. This road will take you past the Samui Centre of learning School and Tamerind Springs Spa Resort ( I think?)amongst other things. You could also take a left at Lamai Temple ( on the right hand bend) and then a right to meet the same soi. It's then a case of following your nose up the mountain and down again all the way to Maenam which rather conveniently comes out at Maenam Soi 1 at another Family Mart and just a hop up the road to my daughters school at Oon rak.

I drive the route to avoid the traffic quite a lot. As you come down the mountain on the Maenam side the road has fallen a way in a few places. No problem for a pickup,bike etc but a small car would have to take care as things seem to be getting worse with wear and tear.Also in the last few days a section of the road has fallen away on the flat section to Maenam leading me to wonder if driving this route is really a very sensible option with my daughter??

Edited by brizzle

Is it Maenam soi 5 which leads to the big buddha? I've been up there before and seen that big buddha statue next to a restaurant but i cant remember which soi to take.

A very rough ride, you need a big enough bike but some fantastic views of Phangan from up there.

Maenam soi 1,3 and 5 all take you up into the mountains and lead to Lamai. Anyone know which one leads to the big buddha statue?

Is it Maenam soi 5 which leads to the big buddha? I've been up there before and seen that big buddha statue next to a restaurant but i cant remember which soi to take.

A very rough ride, you need a big enough bike but some fantastic views of Phangan from up there.

Maenam soi 1,3 and 5 all take you up into the mountains and lead to Lamai. Anyone know which one leads to the big buddha statue?

erm . . . Soi 1 goes to Lamai - ends up near Buddy's, Soi 3 - no. Soi 5 - don't think so . . .!

Soi 1 is easy on a scooter. No big bike needed.

Big Buddha is the temple at the end of Bang Rak. Close to the BBC Restaurant. Reckon you're about 8K out.

Unless there is a smaller big Buddha knocking about up the hill somewhere . . . near another restaurant . . .

Reckon you got some crossed sois/Buddhas here . . . 3d-funny-eyes.gif

R

Edited by robsamui

erm . . . Soi 1 goes to Lamai - ends up near Buddy's, Soi 3 - no. Soi 5 - don't think so . . .!

Soi 1 is easy on a scooter. No big bike needed.

Big Buddha is the temple at the end of Bang Rak. Close to the BBC Restaurant. Reckon you're about 8K out.

Unless there is a smaller big Buddha knocking about up the hill somewhere . . . near another restaurant . . .

Reckon you got some crossed sois/Buddhas here . . . 3d-funny-eyes.gif

R

Erm...Nope, no confusion here Rob! Went up Soi 3 yesterday on a KX125, went through to Lamai, however if you make it up to the small section of concrete road then take a right it leads you downt to Angtong soi 3 between Lipa noi and Nathon. A rough ride and only doable on a decent bike, worth it though.

So am i the only one that knows about this smaller Phra yai in the mountains???coffee1.gif

Edit: Check out these pics from soi 5, soi 3 also leads here after a bit of heavier offroading

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/34011412

See the google earth link on the right of that page. A few nice waterfalls up there and plenty of mom an pop restaurants.

Edited by Paangjang
  • Like 1

manam soi 1 probably the most dangerous road in samui. no it has not been repaired. i definatiatly would not go up there in anything other than a 4 wheel drive or a motor cross bike

I drive it twice a week on my twist n go, it's a lovely drive, one break in the road but cars n bikes have no problem, more and more people useing it now

Safer than the ring road anyday

Edited by CARLIN

At the present time a 6 meter road is being laid through the Lamai valley linking inland from the old market with the Lamai - Maenam road. One of the foremen said today that it will be completed in about 3 months. Upon completion, repairs will then be made to the damaged areas of the Lamai - Maenam road.

I have heard of this "Buddha monument" you mention, but not seen or found it yet, and not sure which soi one would take.... yes, not the big Buddha in Ban Rak.... but as mentioned before there is a maze of roads up in the centre of the island... some places worth while, to see, some not..... but expect a rough ride.... in spots.... unsure.png.... nothing ventured nothing gained....

I've not ventured far up Soi 3, I admit, must try that sometime.... perhaps some thing new to find?

Soi 4 meets up with Soi 5, in case no one knows that!

I do the Soi 1 road to Lamai, from Maenam, usually once a week to avoid the Ring road traffic.wacko.png agree, much safer...than the ring road.... Distance wise about the same....far less traffic.... you often see cyclists doing that road too...

There are a couple of spots, that are not good shape, but negotiable by motor bike for sure... watch for some areas with dry sand, but the couple of places with cracks are relatively small...considering the 18 km or so of road....that obviously upsets a few people! ohmy.pngdry.png Just take it easy!

At the present time a 6 meter road is being laid through the Lamai valley linking inland from the old market with the Lamai - Maenam road. One of the foremen said today that it will be completed in about 3 months. Upon completion, repairs will then be made to the damaged areas of the Lamai - Maenam road.

Just been jogging along this road. Wow, 6 meter concrete highway through the valley, and there must be at least a half dozen houses!!!!

Shame to the Tesaban, all of the local roads that are mud tracks, have been waiting for years for concrete, and they serve many more people, resorts etc. I guess they are going to nominate Samui as a grand prix circuit.

It's a very passable road. A couple of places need repairs; one on a very steep part, but any vehicle can make it.

A few signs up for land for sale...no sign of electricity or water or anything for years...

Good point about the road to nowhere (special).

I wonder what the exact timing is compared to going on the ring road. Given the windiness and the inability to go very fast, I imagine you might not be saving much if any time on the mountain road, even though it is empty. Anyone want to time the two?

I have timed it, but it depends on traffic and time of day, also number of red lights you encounter.... turning red as you reach them, they usually turn red when I reach them!!!! annoyed.gif If you hit the "Chawang area" rush hour, after about 4 pm , then the other road is probably faster... (probably them same during morning rush hour!)

At the Lamai end one can get onto the road to Maenam, via the residential roads behind the Lamai Temple.... where the ring road makes the sharp turn... As the saying goes, All roads lead to Rome" ... well some of them!unsure.pnglaugh.png There are several that meetup with the Soi 1 Road.... Turn left if you are going to Maenam, when you reach the end! ....wink.png

It really comes done to whether you want a scenic country drive, or chocked by traffic.... distance wise it's about same same...

the second biggest Buddha on this island, apart from the statues at Wat Plai Laem, is brand new and the area not finished yet. Chaweng ring road ~ PG office area, Soi to the left

Sorry, second does not seem to hack it in this day and age.coffee1.gif

Not many people visit the second mummified monk either. wai.gif

• Like 1

Further to my post a few days ago whereby I advised conditions on this road were getting worse and a small car would have to take care.

Well today around 15:20 PM driving from Lamai to Maenam I was flagged down by some Italian people telling me to stop as ahead their Suzuki jeep was well and truely ''imbedded''' in the ever growing pot holes and ruts that have developed on the steep downside towards Maenam. They informed me that they had been there for 2 hours.

A thai man in a pickup (an adventure tour logo on the side) was trying without success to pull them out using a tow rope.

I left my car on the hill and walked down to take a look. As I arrived on the scene the pickup which was now driverless started to roll back towards the Suzuki ..the Thai driver who was now on the roadside instantly tried to protect his vehicle by putting himself in between his pickup and the jeep(yes crazy I know)..the inevitable then happened a the Thai gentleman was crushed between the two vehicles. The Suzuki was pushed firmly into the crash barrier with the Italian driver still in the drivers seat. Screams from the Italian ladies present added to the drama.Thankfully the barrier held as otherwise there is a bit of a drop in this section of the road.Also thankfully the Thai man was able to pull himself free from the mess largely due to the fact that both cars had shifted position since the original ''crush''.

I am stood their trying to offer assistance on deaf ears however...''shall I call an ambulance??''...''would you like me to take you to a hospital??''

The Thai chap who seemed a very decent sort walked in some discomfort to his now damaged pickup...cut the tow rope, got in at drove off in the direction of Lamai. By now the Italians were too stressed and in too involved in their own misery to even notice that I was there.

So please be aware although others have said that the road is no problem for any vehicle unless you take extreme care you may find yourself ''up the river without a paddle'' so to speak as the Italians did today. It is to be fair only a problem in one spot...but that spot is on a very steep incline and accidents can happen.

Drive safe.

• 1 month later...

As Brizzle pointed out in the last post, this road .... Soi One from Maenam to Lamai has a bad patch, really only in one location.... and that can vary from week to week... mostly depending on rain... Last week I went through there with a Chev Pickup and no problem.... low wheel based vehicles not such a good idea.

There are usually a number of cyclists and motorbike riders who do this treek regularily, without problems.... but I too have helped "new tourist drivers" in distress at that one area.... the hut /home near there has bandages etc... to help those who fall.... (nice gusture! thumbsup.gif I hope people help by paying for what they use) ....

Anyway, my point of this post was to mention the Soi 5 road to the new Big (little) Buddha atop the hill near Lamai... (which can be reached via Soi 1, also) is a 10.5 km ride from the Ring road in Maenam turning at Soi 5... and takes about half an hour to drive from, Maenam. The short 10.5 km distance actually surprised me.

So all these roads do meet up, through the centre of the island.... not all easy driving in some spots but can be done. ..... some areas are quite steep too....

There are spectacular views ranging from seeing the mainland in the west to KP (Koh Toa on a clear day) and Lamai and Chawang, these two places can be viewed from the new Temple.... much work has been completed since my last trip a few weeks ago.... thumbsup.gif

It's going to be a popular spot on the "must see" areas of Samui!!!!

I go over from Maenan Soi 5 on my Honda click, no problems but yes there is a bit of a washout on the Soi 5 side, one just has to go carefully but i would'nt cross it 2 up, tell the lady to walk just there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

In June I need to get from Lamai to Maenam and back in a day to attend a cooking class. Just wondering what my options are? I see the mountain road can be problematic. At this stage and preference I do not want to use motorbike, I don't feel safe of them either to drive or as a passenger. Would consider hiring a small suzuki 4x4 and wondering if currently it would be safe to us the mountain road?

How long does the route take assuming reasonable conditions?

Is there a map someone can point me to that shows how to get on the mountain road. From what I can gather it runs off from behind the Temple which is on that ring road when you leave Lamai and head towards Chaweng. I take it is unlikely to be to well signed? Any maps or photos would be appreciated.

Alternatively does the Songthoew go from Lamai to Maenam? I can recall from previous stays in Lamai seeing Songthoews from Lamai>Chaweng>Nathon but I am not sure if they service Maenam? To be honest I would be happier getting there and back using local transport that doesn't involve the taxi marfia but would look to hire that Suzuki if there is not a practical option getting there and back using public transport.

Appreciate and suggestions and recommendations.

Regards,

Ian

^^^^^

The songthaow goes right round the island, in both directions, so that is probably your best bet as it will pass through Maenam. Just double check with the driver first. In theory the price should be about THB 50 each way. No gurantee of timetable which might be awkward as your class will start at a specific time I imagine.

If you don't know the road over the hills, don't bother. It is not well signposted, can be a bit tricky in places, and is subject to the weather making it awkward. And isn't that much quicker anyway.

Hiring a jeep is simple for the day, and all you do is get on the ring road in Lamai and follow it all the way to Maenam. Easy. But a bit more expensive.

Hi Folks,

In June I need to get from Lamai to Maenam and back in a day to attend a cooking class. Just wondering what my options are? I see the mountain road can be problematic. At this stage and preference I do not want to use motorbike, I don't feel safe of them either to drive or as a passenger. Would consider hiring a small suzuki 4x4 and wondering if currently it would be safe to us the mountain road?

How long does the route take assuming reasonable conditions?

Is there a map someone can point me to that shows how to get on the mountain road. From what I can gather it runs off from behind the Temple which is on that ring road when you leave Lamai and head towards Chaweng. I take it is unlikely to be to well signed? Any maps or photos would be appreciated.

Alternatively does the Songthoew go from Lamai to Maenam? I can recall from previous stays in Lamai seeing Songthoews from Lamai>Chaweng>Nathon but I am not sure if they service Maenam? To be honest I would be happier getting there and back using local transport that doesn't involve the taxi marfia but would look to hire that Suzuki if there is not a practical option getting there and back using public transport.

Appreciate and suggestions and recommendations.

Regards,

Ian

Ian, I think most of the answers you want are already posted....

This is about 20 km trip (8 miles) either by the Ring road or "Mountain Road". I would hardly call it a "mountain road" (hilly yes, and fairly steep in spots) with one bad spot, Probably no more than 300 meters at the highest point.rolleyes.gif

If you read Brizzle's post (15) it could be problematic in a Suzuki, in one section, and that can vary as to driver ability and amount of rain that may have washed out the gravel. ... That can vary depending on rain etc. But even if you had to turn around you may add 15 minutes to get back to the Ring road and go the doing road route.

It's about a 1/2 hour trip either way. there was a previous tread somewhere here that called it Maenam to Lamai in 20 minutes. ...slow down! The time it takes on the Ring road depends on time of day and traffic... many traffic lights can slow you down a lot!!!

Some of the ring road is steep too.... not to mention the traffic too. w00t.gif

As for a Songtau, Maenam is between Nanthon and Lamui (Bopout etc) so they would all go through Maenam. I am not sure if all Songtaus go to Lamai, some may just go to Chawang, and you may need to change (can anyone help there?)

IMO there is less than 50 metres of this road that is "bad" different people have different perceptions of what "bad" is.... whistling.gif

I would avoid doing after dark.