Crumbling Bricks

dinga

Anyone ever used the large red clay bricks to build a small above-ground lotus/fish pond?

I'm really pleased with the outcome, but now a few of the bricks are crumbling and I'd appreciate any suggestions about how the bricks can be treated to prevent any further deterioration (one thought was to drain the pond and apply an epoxy paint to the internal rendering - if moisture is the problem)

The bricks came from Nakhon Sawan, are handmade from (I assume) red clay and apparently have been fired. They are clearly much weaker than the small red bricks favoured by Thai brickies, and are similar to the ones used to construct the old temples.

Thanks!

Pictures would help more.

Never used them there bricks, I have used small red bricks for a retaining garden wall and never treated them in any way, there best left to breath naturally.

Are all the other bricks used OK ?

Is it the case you just used some duff bricks.?

Are you able to replace the ones that are crumbling, that's your best option if you can.

Assuming the render was mixed correctly with waterproofing additives, it still would be a good idea to put two coats of epoxy paint, which would be better for the fish anyhow.

Edited by Kwasaki

Thanks for the advice so far. Have now attached some photos which show the problem with 3 of the bricks.

Am I correct in guessing that it won't be possible/practical to replace those bricks? In any event, sounds like I should paint the inside with epoxy.

If I do that, without replacing the bricks, is there anything available to preserve the exisiting bricks?

post-40722-0-44954000-1331984851_thumb.j

post-40722-0-71033500-1331984887_thumb.j

post-40722-0-40655100-1331984923_thumb.j

post-40722-0-40306700-1331984959_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice so far. Have now attached some photos which show the problem with 3 of the bricks.

Am I correct in guessing that it won't be possible/practical to replace those bricks? In any event, sounds like I should paint the inside with epoxy.

If I do that, without replacing the bricks, is there anything available to preserve the exisiting bricks?

Yeah !! it looks good, you do have some internal leakage to cause that, the way to fix the facier if you want to is just fiddling about but can be done.

I like what I call " the stressed look " in wood and brickwork in many building projects, gives it character instead of a squeaky clean plastic look but it's not for all.

Your problem is internal, no further measures are needed.

If you want once you have done your internal seal, you can do a rough fill in mix using crushed parts of the bricks you used, alternately, cut gently with a small grinder about the depth of half the brick, and cut a brick of the same that was used to fit into the void you have made, and grout in.

The texture of the brick look great,,, i would attack a few others with a hammer and make them all look cool, if you want the weathered look just spray or sprinkle some milk on the bricks and let it dry and weather naturally,, as for your problem, you have

3 issues to deal with,

issue 1, internally it is leaking, i recomend rendering the inside with new cement render, mix it yourseld and put it on yourself use a sponge and rubber gloves and while it's drying just smooth it off with a sponge,, the secret ingredient here is to use a WATERPROOF additive to the cement mix,1 part cement to about 4 or 5 parts clean sand,,, you can buy it at any BIG builders hardware supply and it is written in thai and english, i was kucky, i bought ready mix sand and cement, it is available just hunt for it and don't give up. People will say it doesn't exist, they are ill informed or just lazy to get it for you.

issue 2, the bricks, this is Thailand, bricks aren't fired,, usually mady by hand using a press method, cement is added to a red clay damp mix, put into the mold press and out comes a brick, one by one and put in the sun to dry, that's why you have a problem, they don't like water, you can buy a sandstone sealer which is actually liquid silicone to put on the outside bricks,, not waterproofer additive, don't confuse them, it will seal the bricks from the outside damp and rain, getting the picture yet.

issue 3, you are in a no win situation with what you have, for me i would fibregass the inside or knock it down and but something from a garden nursery that is built from concrete, you have to ask yourself a) how deep is your pocket B) how nuch time you will devote to this project c) this problem will never end, seal it properly for it to be trouble free

Good luck with you project and i welcome more posts and their advice, it's good to learn from other people.

post-141778-0-80889200-1331999778_thumb.

issue 1, internally it is leaking.

Yep !! it sure is,biggrin.png he has a good internal concrete lining already so after inspection, he said " In any event, sounds like I should paint the inside with epoxy ". which is a good way to go as long as it's fish friendly.

issue 2, the bricks, this is Thailand, bricks aren't fired.

You make a good point but I would still leave the brickwork before doing any kind of weather sealing if it was something that was being decided to do.

The inside of the structure already has mositure, it needs to breath out and dry first.

issue 3, you are in a no win situation with what you have.

I wouldn't say it's as bad as that, he could be if the structure is not maintained, in the future he could look at reconstruction but that said I would be happy for it being left for a long while.

Goodluck with your build in the photo, looks good. jap.gif

Edited by Kwasaki

Hi,

I think you may be using materials which aren't ideal, It does look yery Sukhothai but unless you would like to rebiult it totally at some stage then you will have to create a barrier or membrane between the water inside and the bricks, If you wanted to keep that look you could drain the pond and rebuild it using mose suitable materials and rebuilding th outside with the existing red bricks, only in a veneer style. Cutting pipe couplings in half and seperating it with two straights like (___) If you get the gist would work well a the concrete used for the pipe coupling will be suitable for holding water, you could even just use a cheap roll on waterproof membrane internally. I would be a bit of bother but become rock solid and look simillar to the way it does now only made of more suitable materials.

How handy are you?

How much time do you have on your hands?

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the advice - he's what I've done:

* drained the pond, and let it thoroughly dry-out over a 2-3months period

* applied 2 coatings of Lanko 226 K11 Flex ("2 part acrylic-modified cementitious waterproofing system"): easy to apply with either a brush or trowel

* have refilled the pond and will let it sit for a week. Next weekend, will drain and refill before putting the lotus' and fish back in (Lanko is supposedly not toxic to fish, but just to be sure ....)

* applied 2 coats of Lanko 235 Protec ("oil and water repellent") to the pond side with the 4 crumbling bricks

So far, so good - will update this post in 6 months or so, or earlier if the original problem returns sooner!