Phnom Phen 4 Days To Get A Visa Issued

I am heading to PP this week and I just got an email from Mr Keo who said it now takes 4 days to get a visa issued instead of the usual 2 and that has now messed up my travel plans as by the time I get him my paperwork he wont be able to get it till MONDAY next week.

So instead of being in PP for 4 days I will now have to be there for a week. and lose a flight as well as Air Asia no refund no change of ticket poss on the return leg.

Ya gotta love thai BS

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically unless you get there on a Monday or Tuesday morning, you have to spend 6 days there (4 working days plus the weekend)??

Does their inability to do double entries still apply (perhaps you can ask Mr Keo if this is still the case)?

Seems PP are either trying to boost their "tourist" revenues (unlikely they'd get enough from Thailand visa runners to justify the hassle) or they're doing their best to become non-viable. Perhaps it's somebody else's turn to be the "easy" visa run destination for a month or three...

• Like 1

I just had a friend call me from PP, put his passport into lucky's to get a single entry tourist visa, it has been rejected they want a bank statement from him. Anyone here have any advice for him? He is a UK citizen.

I would give them a bank statement, if he can't get one online from the bank, perhaps they would settle for an ATM receipt showing an account balance.

That's tough. The official requirement listed on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is "Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)". If the embassy is satisfied with this and if he has a way (ATM or credit card) of withdrawing this amount or its equivalent in another currency, eg US dollars, at a bank, he could do that.

A Hotel booking-reservation will not be a problem. Somebody should make it or him, if he does not know much from the Internet and can send it than to his or somebodys Internet Adress. Adress from the guy in an Internet coffee shop. Whatever.

Just a confirmation of a booking, no money to spend.

I just had a friend call me from PP, put his passport into lucky's to get a single entry tourist visa, it has been rejected they want a bank statement from him. Anyone here have any advice for him? He is a UK citizen.

How many previous visas did he have in his passport?

My friend went to the Embassy this morning with more than 20,000B in his pocket, the answer was still no, now they want confirmation of hotel where he is staying in BKK.

The guy at the front says he can fix it.

Many reports by members have given the impression that the Thai consulate in Phom Penh prefers to deal with an agent, a "guy at the front". I think it is worth a try for your friend.

How many previous visas did he have in his passport?

Im not sure.

My friend went to the Embassy this morning with more than 20,000B in his pocket, the answer was still no, now they want confirmation of hotel where he is staying in BKK.

Many reports by members have given the impression that the Thai consulate in Phom Penh prefers to deal with an agent, a "guy at the front". I think it is worth a try for your friend.

Thanks I will keep you posted.

I really can't understand the logic of wanting to see a hotel booking in Thailand. I can just about accept and understand why they might ask to see confirmation of a flight out of Thailand at a later date, but even then, I find that ridiculous.

People's plans change all the time. What's to say they don't change once you get your visa and enter Thailand. You might decide you want to stay a bit longer than the visa permits, say maybe an extra week. This could be achieved by a quick exit and re-entry via overland, giving you 15 days visa exempt, with no need for a plane ticket.

Why should you be restricted by having to book a flight in advance when perhaps you don't need one ??? You might want to leave Thailand by an overland route and go to Laos, Cambodia for example.....

Sorry for stating the obvious but I have the same dilemma as the OP's friend and find the visa rules inconsistent and frustrating.

I considered using Mr Keo based on the 2 day turnaround reviews posted on this forum, but when I contacted him he quoted me 3 days. And now he's telling the OP's friend it will be 4 days ???

He also said I'd need to show proof of a flight back to BKK, but again, where's the logic in that? If I'm applying for a Thailand visa I think it's a safe bet that I'll be returning to Thailand some time soon.....How does this in anyway assist the visa application, or help prove that you will leave Thailand once the visa expires????? The same goes for having to show a hotel booking somewhere in Thailand. It doesn't.

Maestro is probably right when he suggests the PP consulate are making things difficult so that we have to go through the back door, via an agent or whatever, so they can take their cut of whatever the agent charges you.

In the grand scheme of things, what Keo quoted me ($57) is a good price for his service. I've never used him before and he gets a good write up, but maybe he has a side line in flogging those plane tickets back to BKK wink.png

I don't particularly like VV (ghost town) or PP but when push come to shove I opted for PP because it's easier to get to and there's more to do. I felt suicidal in VV and have no rush to return!

• Like 1

I am in PP now and seem some changes have happened and when I spoke with an agent first they said I CANNOT get an O visa here, I explained I have everything I needed for it so they said OH OK it was going to take a WEEK to get an O VISA based on marriage and then reiterated they could not guarantee that it would be issued even though I have the right papers.

I confirmed with them I have everything I needed including marriage cert, wifes id card etc and she indicated that it did not matter and she told me last week a guy in the same situation was refused an O even though he also had the right paperwork.

I basically said well I am here I have to try so gave her all my documents and the only thing she could do for me was try and get it faster than the week (if I paid more of course)

So submitted the documents now I am waiting.

I think the latest changes are quite recent and they don't seem to be good.

On the other hand, How welcoming Cambodia is, upon entry they asked, would you like a tourist visa or would you like to do business here ? if business you have to pay $5 more, HOW REFRESHING is that, seems like they genuinely welcome foreigners.

Beer is crazy cheap at 15 baht a small beer and food cheap too. I think I am going to head off to the beach for a few days and see what its like there

DK

PS of course I lost my flight back since it was booked and non changeable non refundable and they only deliver visas at 7pm ohmy.png I mean 7pm why is that I ask, don't all government places close at like 3-4pm, yet here Visas can be picked up in the evening time so even though I had a flight at 5.30pm no chance of catching it even if they had not changed the rules.

Edited by DiamondKing

I hope you let us know more about your (positive) experiences in PP, Cambodia and maybe Sihanoukville-the beach resort?

Visa ok?

Maybe visit. Bar Le Cyrcee in PP, very "attentive"wink.png , hostesses, not far from Walkabout, Heart of Darkness and Flamingos Hotel.

I came back from Phnom Penh on Thurs (15th March) and used Mr Keo for my single entry tourist visa, my 2nd and hopefully last. I arrived Monday evening, went to see Mr Keo early Tuesday morning and was told 3 days ($55) and not until 7.30pm. This meant I was to get my passport back 2 hours after my flight (Air Asia) left. Long story short, got the passport back at 3.30pm, straight to the airport with time to spare. At first I thought Mr Keo was waiting for me to ask if more money would 'grease the wheels' but when I suggested he was adamant it wouldn't help. If an agent, who I assume has an inside contact, can't push it through and with the slow turnaround time I wonder if its really worthwhile using an agent.

On the non-immigrant O visa (based on marriage); that will be my next step, when I asked on this forum I was told I wouldn't have to leave the country, that I could change my Tourist visa to a non-O at Chaeng Wattana. Is this correct?

Edited by colinp

I really can't understand the logic of wanting to see a hotel booking in Thailand. I can just about accept and understand why they might ask to see confirmation of a flight out of Thailand at a later date, but even then, I find that ridiculous.

People's plans change all the time. What's to say they don't change once you get your visa and enter Thailand. You might decide you want to stay a bit longer than the visa permits, say maybe an extra week. This could be achieved by a quick exit and re-entry via overland, giving you 15 days visa exempt, with no need for a plane ticket.

Why should you be restricted by having to book a flight in advance when perhaps you don't need one ??? You might want to leave Thailand by an overland route and go to Laos, Cambodia for example.....

Sorry for stating the obvious but I have the same dilemma as the OP's friend and find the visa rules inconsistent and frustrating.

I considered using Mr Keo based on the 2 day turnaround reviews posted on this forum, but when I contacted him he quoted me 3 days. And now he's telling the OP's friend it will be 4 days ???

He also said I'd need to show proof of a flight back to BKK, but again, where's the logic in that? If I'm applying for a Thailand visa I think it's a safe bet that I'll be returning to Thailand some time soon.....How does this in anyway assist the visa application, or help prove that you will leave Thailand once the visa expires????? The same goes for having to show a hotel booking somewhere in Thailand. It doesn't.

Maestro is probably right when he suggests the PP consulate are making things difficult so that we have to go through the back door, via an agent or whatever, so they can take their cut of whatever the agent charges you.

In the grand scheme of things, what Keo quoted me ($57) is a good price for his service. I've never used him before and he gets a good write up, but maybe he has a side line in flogging those plane tickets back to BKK wink.png

I don't particularly like VV (ghost town) or PP but when push come to shove I opted for PP because it's easier to get to and there's more to do. I felt suicidal in VV and have no rush to return!

gave passport to keo latest 1 sept Thursday , get single entry visa & passport back at Monday 5 sept , notice this has a weekend inside .... so where your 4 days ??

Thu + Fry and Monday back (sat & sun no consulate working )

And by my own action i gave statements from KK bank , prepaid card statement and my Gov. retirement monthly pay statement, I AD only a ticketed boarding pass AIR ASIA to BKK

you must keep bureaucrats happy with much papers especially Thai ones , keeps them feeling important...giggle.gif

Edited by david555

Seriously, he didn't pay off the right guy. Standard procedure for Thai Government is make problems so you can get money under the table. I went there a month ago for a tourist visa. IMO Phnom Penh is the superior place to go for a visit but expensive because of the length of stay for a visa and the bus ride is a pain in the ass. But I love the town.

Edited by Markaew

Go to Vientiane. They still issue double entry visas. Takes two days, and I'd rather spend two days there than in Phnom Penh.

But not me... Phnom Penh is an exciting city compared to the rural village of Vientiane with super-crooked police refusing to issue a fine-document and pocketting the money. Not that I pretend that Cambodian police is in any way better.... but at least they keep on smiling asking your 3 US$ for overspeed...

• Like 2

so why you continue to fly Air Asia? Nothing worse than that. Nothing less flexible than this company. Close to a scam! Never ever anymore.

I rather pay 1,000 THB more and fly Bangkok Airways (with much greater flexibilty) than this stingy crooked organisation, which is only out for your money...

Edited by dude007
  • Like 1

This was my experience a month ago with my wife's visa. Gave it to the guy 'out front' (security shack) late on a Tuesday, and got it back late Thursday - $60 total ($20 for the 'service' and $40 for the single-entry tourist visa). My guess is that it is a very profitable enterprise, and a good chunk gets kicked upstairs, so they provide various dis-incentives to go through the normal channel. The guy said they were making it harder to apply inside, and that, under the best scenario, it would take four days.

Interestingly, they will not do double-entry tourist visas at all, so they must be under some official pressure to limit them, or just figure it's "lather, rinse, repeat", doubling their revenue.

Personally, I have had enough of this. Time to move on...

Well my friend did get his visa in PP but only through the guy (fixer) at the front of the Embassy, it cost him just over 2,000.B it seems the people working inside want more money now (under the table) Perhaps a few letters sent to The Department of Foreign in BKK complaining about it might help to get the situation sorted or am I just dreaming??????????????

Can one get multiple entry tourist visa at PP now? I am arriving on a monday and leaving on a friday, so I assume that should be enough time. Also, what kind of papers should I bring? I will bring lease contract and Kasikorn ATM withdraw slip.

I also would like to deal with the embassy directly instead of using a fixer, but if decide to use a fixer, how much should I pay?

I wonder why nobody seems interested in Penang, Malaysia. For 1500 Bt you take the first class overnight sleeper express around 1500 in the afternoon, and arrive in Butterworth before noon. A quick hop on the ferry across to Penang where you will find the consulate office, you are there around 1400. Drop off the passport and head for a hotel. If your visa is ready by 1100, you will have time to catch the return trip at 1345 and arrive back at BKK at 1000 next morning.

Now, I have not done this yet. I am looking at the schedule, so feel free to criticize if you have experience on this trip.