Elephants In The City

Yet another question. Does anyone know the phone number of the dept. to report elephants being brought into the city? I vaguely recall reading in the newspaper that it was illeagal and anyone seeing it should phone xxxxxxx. Stupidly I lost it.

The reason (there is one) is the baby I see most days being led from Samut Prakan toward Bangkok. She (I think) looks so miserable and it really is not the place for a pachyderm.

Rant over. Thanks. :o

The Thai Forestry Dept. are I think, who you would call. However, getting the baby taken away from her owner may be a trick.

I would try contacting one or both of the following Wildlife Rescue Centers. One is strickly for Elephants as you will see.

Sadly if you think the baby Elephant is sad, she more then likely is. Elephants do show emotion. I've volunteered at both of the centers listed below. Edwin at wfft is fairly easy to get a hold of.

The more complaints by concerned people the better the chance to get the baby off the street, but finding out where the mother is also important. I'd call and talk with Edwin on what the best approach is.

http://www.thaifocus.com/elephant/index.htm

http://www.wfft.org/

this one?

Royal Forest Department 61 Phaholyathin Ladyao Jatujak Bangkok 10900

Tel. (662)5614292-3

[email protected]

http://www.forest.go.th/default_e.asp

i dont like when i see Chang walks around concrete forest..the owner always try sell (small amount) food for elephant :o

i bought those stuff for poor Chang sometime..(but i bought more fruit/veggies for elephant from the market)

at the hind of Chang we can see light/ CD disk as reflect when Chang walks , prevent from car accident

i dont want to support those spam guys who try to take advantage from animal...but i cant stand when i see poor animal :D

A waste of time, from what I can understand. The elephants gangs seem to be yet another mafia business, and those guys know which government officials to bribe and influence.

Living in Sukhumvit, we see this all the time. The elephants reappear for 6-8 weeks, then the local authorities get tough and they disappear again, only to reappear regular as clockwork (and controlled by the same handlers) a couple of months later. I'm told that they are taken back into the country, beefed up again on steroids, ready for another stint back in the concrete jungle.

Horrible, but it doesnt surprise me.

Let's face it - if the government and police together can't get rid of the dozens of mafia related businesses (street market vendors, flower girls, beggars with strategically drugged and imported babies and puppies) - what hope is there for you and I to get chang off the street?

I dont think i'm being cynical in suggesting that those responsible for all this stuff have key government official and police chiefs firmly under their control.

Leisurely, did anything happen regarding the babt elephant yet? I think it is wonderful that you care and want to do something. In these cases, don't think of how you can't solve the whole problem with the elephant business, just think that you might save this one individual. Otherwise it is very easy to loose hope. If you make some phone calls and are very persistant, I think you can make a difference. Anyway, this poor elephant is totally dependant that some person feels pity for her and do something about her situation. Otherwise she will stay in her misery.

The rescue centers seems like a good option I think. These people are normally very devoted to "their" cause.

Ok, good luck to you and the baby elephant.

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

• 2 months later...
Leisurely, did anything happen regarding the babt elephant yet? I think it is wonderful that you care and want to do something. In these cases, don't think of how you can't solve the whole problem with the elephant business, just think that you might save this one individual. Otherwise it is very easy to loose hope. If you make some phone calls and are very persistant, I think you can make a difference. Anyway, this poor elephant is totally dependant that some person feels pity for her and do something about her situation. Otherwise she will stay in her misery.

The rescue centers seems like a good option I think. These people are normally very devoted to "their" cause.

Ok, good luck to you and the baby elephant.

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

http://www.bring-the-elephant-home.nl/engindex.htm

• 2 weeks later...
The Thai Forestry Dept. are I think, who you would call. However, getting the baby taken away from her owner may be a trick.

I would try contacting one or both of the following Wildlife Rescue Centers. One is strickly for Elephants as you will see.

Sadly if you think the baby Elephant is sad, she more then likely is. Elephants do show emotion. I've volunteered at both of the centers listed below. Edwin at wfft is fairly easy to get a hold of.

The more complaints by concerned people the better the chance to get the baby off the street, but finding out where the mother is also important. I'd call and talk with Edwin on what the best approach is.

http://www.thaifocus.com/elephant/index.htm

http://www.wfft.org/

I believe that the only (easy) way to seperate a baby elephant from its mother is by killing one of them (usually the mother, for obvious reasons).

Yet another question. Does anyone know the phone number of the dept. to report elephants being brought into the city? I vaguely recall reading in the newspaper that it was illeagal and anyone seeing it should phone xxxxxxx. Stupidly I lost it.

I do remember reading that too quite a while ago most probably in Bangkok Post. I didn't keep the number either but I think the place to call is BMA, not the forestry department. You might even try calling 191 (police/fire dept). They accept all kind of complaints with regard to public nuisance and seems quite helpful even if it's not an emergency case. I think they can tell you where to call to report an elephant in the city. I've once seen elephant and mahout being taken away by the authority right in front of the Pantip Plaza. I heard the confiscated elephants are brought to sanctuary to become a state property and will be placed on rehabilitation program.

I do remember reading that too quite a while ago most probably in Bangkok Post. I didn't keep the number either but I think the place to call is BMA, not the forestry department. You might even try calling 191 (police/fire dept). They accept all kind of complaints with regard to public nuisance and seems quite helpful even if it's not an emergency case. I think they can tell you where to call to report an elephant in the city. I've once seen elephant and mahout being taken away by the authority right in front of the Pantip Plaza. I heard the confiscated elephants are brought to sanctuary to become a state property and will be placed on rehabilitation program.

you think that phoning makes sense when these poor animals are roaming around frequently in the bussiest places of BKK under the noses of the police??? :o

"Luckily during night time they are "back-protected" by a red light and/or an old CD-Rom." I wunder how the feet underneeth are showing after miles of walking at solid pavements! :D

you think that phoning makes sense when these poor animals are roaming around frequently in the bussiest places of BKK under the noses of the police??? :D

Sad but true, as long as this business is generating good money there is little citizens can do to get these poor elephants off the streets :D

If only tourists would tell the handler to take his elephant back to the jungle instead of giving him money to feed the elephant ..... :o

you think that phoning makes sense when these poor animals are roaming around frequently in the bussiest places of BKK under the noses of the police??? :D

Sad but true, as long as this business is generating good money there is little citizens can do to get these poor elephants off the streets :D

If only tourists would tell the handler to take his elephant back to the jungle instead of giving him money to feed the elephant ..... :o

Yes, but I am afraid that a hugh lot of Thai feel obliged to give food and water as I have seen and heard! :D