UK pensions

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

You think Traitors like Blair and Idiots like Brown care? they just live out their lives in their luxuary homes ,far away from the chaos they caused .

but dont worry the "snowflakes" and the right on PC brigade will just blame us "baby boomers" for it .

Don't blame me as I am a true war baby, born in 1944 when my Dad was 54 and my Mum was 39.

No idea how old the milkman was though.

• Like 1

This 'frozen' lark can and will be challenged again post brexit if HMG fail to include the rest of the world in any deal favouring Brits currently living in the EU. In the unlikely event that they too become 'frozen' (I can't see HMG getting away with that!) we (consortium etc) can sit on our arrses for two decades while they commence legal proceedings; reversing their attitude towards our plight to date.

I realize of course that not everyone has two decades to spare but TBH I believe it'll be sorted during the divorce, and that HMG will try to do it without Sun readers ('MY' taxes?) noticing.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, evadgib said:

This 'frozen' lark can and will be challenged again post brexit if HMG fail to include the rest of the world in any deal favouring Brits currently living in the EU. In the unlikely event that they too become 'frozen' (I can't see HMG getting away with that!) we (consortium etc) can sit on our arrses for two decades while they commence legal proceedings; reversing their attitude towards our plight to date.

I realize of course that not everyone has two decades to spare but TBH I believe it'll be sorted during the divorce, and that HMG will try to do it without Sun readers ('MY' taxes?) noticing.

Assuming post Brexit any uprating to UK  pensioners in the EU is achieved by an agreement, I fail to see how such a legal challenge has merit.

In reality the challenge would be to deny the UKs sovereign ability to make independent agreements with other sovereign states. It would be saying that because the UK has made an agreement with the EU,  then it is forced to replicate it worldwide irrespective  of its wishes.

I see the National Living wage is going up to 7.50 an hour from next month, jolly good news for who?

What is an average working week now, 35 hours? Thats 262.50 a lot more than my pension and likely yours as well, so I can only reason that UK Pensioners and a living wage are somewhat detached, almost all UK pensioners must be living on an amount less than the LIving Wage, how can that be? How can that be right? How can a Government and society have allowed this to happen? And whilst the National Living Wage will no doubt increase with each year that goes by its apparently acceptable for Pensioners who choose to move abroad to certain destinations not increase their pensions, how can that be justified?

• Like 1
Going hand in glove with this and probably just as important is the NHS. Pension restrictions are widely reported and documented but the NHS is not.
This thread is about pensions not access to the NHS, whilst that issue is of course important to many of us, it's been discussed at length in other threads, and of course in the media.
Please keep this thread on topic.
  • Like 1
On 3/7/2017 at 0:49 PM, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

This is nothing more than an overly clever argument often cited by government or its agencies.

The fact that the government have spent my contributions on paying someone else's pension does not make me less entitled, rather it confirms that the NI fund has simply been plundered by the government to suit whatever short term objective it had at the time. 

I give you a "like".

5 hours ago, david555 said:

Two things struck me in this article.

The  difference in pensions between a British pensioner and Spanish pensioner.

The pensioners living in Spain are worried that their pension will deminish.

well then they'll know what it's like for us in Thailand. Hopefully they will now support us. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Two things struck me in this article.

The  difference in pensions between a British pensioner and Spanish pensioner.

The pensioners living in Spain are worried that their pension will diminish.

well then they'll know what it's like for us in Thailand. Hopefully they will now support us. 

many E.U. country's have different systems for pensions ..., Spanish ones are even lower than ours , The Netherlands have also a diminishing pension % when living abroad , my country not , we even get the same % as in home country when annual costs of living rise ,only proof of life we must bring regular times ..,and when put foot on home territory we are total insured for health care   no waiting period ,but nothing in Thailand when sick or hospitalized

12 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Yes, a good rate of increase, especially when compared to the poor wage rises in recent years for those in employment.

However, the increase emphasises further the measure of grievance felt by those whose pensions are frozen, simply for reason of where they live

Not in any way seeking to justify this disgraceful anomaly, but it is perhaps a small consolation that we are exempt from the iniquity of council tax. I couldn't resist a grim smile when I read in one of the dailies this week a letter from a pensioner who had received the notices of his pension and council tax increases together, and worked out that after payment of the latter he would be 80p a week better off.

• Like 1

Well what do you or I know!!

Jeremy Corbyn is bringing a debate to the House next week supported by Roger Gale and various other MPs to have expat Overseas Pensions un frozen!!

This seem to have blown onto the stage with  the 472,000 UK pensioners in the EU and what to do with regard to their pensions and the UK leaving the EU.

The article is there for all to read in the Daily Mail's Money section............www,thisismoney.co.uk

Let us hope that it is a successful outcome for us all.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, nong38 said:

Jeremy Corbyn is bringing a debate to the House next week supported by Roger Gale and various other MPs to have expat Overseas Pensions un frozen!!

This seem to have blown onto the stage with  the 472,000 UK pensioners in the EU and what to do with regard to their pensions and the UK leaving the EU.

The article is there for all to read in the Daily Mail's Money section............www,thisismoney.co.uk

Let us hope that it is a successful outcome for us all.

IT would be really good if this were to come about ,but with Corbyn leading the call i will not be holding my breath ,on this subject my glass is always half empty , they would much prefer to give the money to other country's or to immegrants who contribute f all to Britain , we have given them our money and are now of no use and irrelevant .

• Like 2
2 hours ago, nong38 said:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-4346478/Jeremy-Corbyn-backs-vote-unfreeze-expat-state-pensions.html

Checkout the comments section to see how badly this is perceived by our fellow countrymen :sick:

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

The comment section is truly appalling  to the issue, I wonder if they were to feel the same if your pension was decided by you resided in the UK, London weighting bring back any memories?

Corbyn for all his faults does see the injustice and if he can muster enough support to make pension paid the same wherever you decide to live well I take my hat off to him.  Whatever I think and you say it all speculation, we must wait and hope for good outcome next week, keep watching Hansard for when it takes place. What we need is a debate and vote and for it not be talked out and I gather that the MP's pensions have been scaled down somewhat so lets hope we have a sympathy vote coming our way.

If 100,000 pensioners were to return to the UK from non EU countries it could cost the NHS 700 million pounds in extra health costs.

This figure is based on something I read a few years ago i.e. the average cost of NHS health provisions for retirees is about 7,000 GBP a year, if I remembered correctly.

The govt should be paying retirees extra pension money to retire overseas and cover their own health costs!!!!!

Instead they are doing the opposite.
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

If 100,000 pensioners were to return to the UK from non EU countries it could cost the NHS 700 million pounds in extra health costs.

This figure is based on something I read a few years ago i.e. the average cost of NHS health provisions for retirees is about 7,000 GBP a year, if I remembered correctly.

The govt should be paying retirees extra pension money to retire overseas and cover their own health costs!!!!!

Instead they are doing the opposite.

British expat pensioners in Spain, healthcare costs are covered by the UK via S1 certificate

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

But the government doesn't care about the cost.  If it did it would close the loophole whereby Latvians and Estonians (for example) can fly into the UK for one day, get an EHIC card, and then get free (or heavily subsidised) medical treatment back in their home countries, the UK taxpayer picking up the bill.