UK pensions

2 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:
7 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

If 100,000 pensioners were to return to the UK from non EU countries it could cost the NHS 700 million pounds in extra health costs.

This figure is based on something I read a few years ago i.e. the average cost of NHS health provisions for retirees is about 7,000 GBP a year, if I remembered correctly.

The govt should be paying retirees extra pension money to retire overseas and cover their own health costs!!!!!

Instead they are doing the opposite.

British expat pensioners in Spain, healthcare costs are covered by the UK via S1 certificate

Last time I checked Spain was not a non-EU country.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

But the government doesn't care about the cost.  If it did it would close the loophole whereby Latvians and Estonians (for example) can fly into the UK for one day, get an EHIC card, and then get free (or heavily subsidised) medical treatment back in their home countries, the UK taxpayer picking up the bill.

For an UK EHIC, is not a requirement to be ordinarily resident and hold a NIC number.

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Blowing a hole in their 'no new agreements since 1981' & leaving them wide open to renewed legal challenge which will only fail if HMG continue to deceive Sun readers into thinking we are;

a) Living the life o' Reilly (stock photos showing 'Mr & Mrs Golden wedding' in idyllic surroundings every time our plight is mentioned in the media) &

b  ) Somehow plundering 'their' (!) taxes while having no entitlement or contribution records in our own right :sad:

Joe Public can be pretty dense at times. It's in our interests to ensure HMG no longer exploit that stupidity at our expense...

If the UK comes to an agreement to maintain the uprating of pensions in the EU , I do not see how this helps a legal challenge.It would be an extension of current policy and the fact that the last agreement was made in 1981 is moot.

45 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

If the UK comes to an agreement to maintain the uprating of pensions in the EU , I do not see how this helps a legal challenge.It would be an extension of current policy and the fact that the last agreement was made in 1981 is moot.

It won't be one it'll be 27, and with sovereignty about to be returned to British Courts it is entirely right that the Carson ruling be challenged or a new one launched if they're stupid enough to present good reason.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/783935/Repeal-Bill-axe-EU-laws-next-week-week-Article-50

Edited by evadgib
57 minutes ago, evadgib said:

It won't be one it'll be 27, and with sovereignty about to be returned to British Courts it is entirely right that the Carson ruling be challenged or a new one launched if they're stupid enough to present good reason.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/783935/Repeal-Bill-axe-EU-laws-next-week-week-Article-50

The number of agreements is irrelevant, there will be no material change as to when it arrived at the UK courts last  time.

The Carson case was judged on UK law 

10 hours ago, evadgib said:

Of course there will. 1981/Carson will be null and void the moment they move their own goalposts.

Apologies, I dont follow.

Maybe you can explain  how making an agreement to uprate pensions in  the EU will null/void the Carson judgement . The ruling addressed  reciprocal agreements and concluded that it is for the UK to decide which countries it enters into agreements with, but it is illogical to say that these should operate worldwide  irrespective of the UKs wishes.

9 minutes ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

If there's a will there's a way ! The problem is that there probably isn't a will. One thing I have learned about UK culture is that there are a huge number of people who are motivated by jealousy. Pensioners who have retired abroad are perceived as more  affluent than UK pensioners and those who enjoy the benefit of retirement in hot countries are especially resented. Add to this the widespread belief that ex pat pensioners pay no income tax and they already have a cluster of reasons for treating you with malice. Any mention of Thailand brings the familiar nods and winks about sex tourism and pedophilia.

One way to gauge what measure of support we have among the UK public is to follow the frozen pension issue  in the comments columns of articles on this subject in the UK press.  Many posters are blatantly hostile and jealous of ex pats retiring abroad and regularly assert that we don't pay any tax.

Unfortunately what you say is very true. I have also noticed those comments in the UK media. 

33 minutes ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Many posters are blatantly hostile and jealous of ex pats retiring abroad and regularly assert that we don't pay any tax.

But isn't the "no tax" thing largely true - at least for income tax and CGT?

Investment income for non-residents arising in the UK is only subject to tax deducted at source (which now is none).  There is no CGT for non-residents.  No Thai tax on UK income.

Expats can move their investments offshore to a tax-free environment - no tax in UK or Thailand.

I legally pay no income tax in Thailand since I generate very little income here.

In fact, the only UK tax I pay is VAT on my occasional return trips to the UK and the tax on flights.

And the only Thai tax I pay is the local VAT.

(This is, of course, not a justification for the UK's shoddy treatment of expat pensioners.)

Edited by Oxx
26 minutes ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

The income tax on UK pensions is deducted at source wherever in the world you reside.

Only those with tiny pension pots (less than say GBP 200,000) would sensibly have kept their pensions in the UK.  Others would do as I've done and transferred them offshore (QROPS).  Zero tax.  (Unfortunately, that opportunity has been closed in the last few days.)