UK pensions

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Usually it is the reason.

Of the 8 payments of my state pension this year, 3 have been late by 1 day and the 4th by 3 days. The 4th was was due during Songkran.

Oddly enough my other 2 pensions have always been on time.

Payment just arrived. One day late because of the holiday.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 6:17 AM, billd766 said:

On a slightly lighter note I see that the GBP/THB rate has improved a little this week.

Not surprising as my state pension was paid on Wednesday. 1 day late again for the 5th time this year so far.

You will need the extra for the forthcoming increase in duties due 16th September. Not to mention the up coming 2 new toll booths for trips down to Nortyland by the sea which will be up and running next year, only another 45bts each way, the beer and spirits only another  xxxbts and they try and say that inflation is what? What is inflation never seen it here! Right.

Soon it will ot be amazing Thailand it will be ..........Thailand..........prices UP!!

Edited by nong38
forgot something
  • Like 1

Inflation for August 2.9%, next month is the official figure for next years Annual Pension Increase, could well be over 3% and they are going to have to pay it as the triple lock is the highest OF. They wont like it but thats the way it even if we dont get it, sadly. Still the pound is slowly rising so that nakes things a tad easier.

13 hours ago, nong38 said:

I see the Police and the Prison Officers are to get over 1% increases this round and the Police will get a one off special 1.7% bonus on top, I dont have a problem with this, but, where do they find the money when there isnt any?

Where do they get funds to help out in the Carribean when there is no money? Again I think its right that this done but when it comes to up rating our pensions we do not seem to a worth while cause.

It would be acceptable I am sure if the  upgraded pension increases were paid out of the Foreign Aid budget, I think most people could see the logic in that helping the UK citizens abroad.

Not sure whether I should speak to Gina "no one voted for me"  Miller or Tony "call me important" Blair next.

I saw it as 1% + 1% bonus for the police and 1.7% for prison officers. The news item also said there was no new money, the rises would be funded from existing budgets. Looks like some cuts in the pipeline.

14 hours ago, nong38 said:

I see the Police and the Prison Officers are to get over 1% increases this round and the Police will get a one off special 1.7% bonus on top, I dont have a problem with this, but, where do they find the money when there isnt any?

Where do they get funds to help out in the Carribean when there is no money? Again I think its right that this done but when it comes to up rating our pensions we do not seem to a worth while cause.

It would be acceptable I am sure if the  upgraded pension increases were paid out of the Foreign Aid budget, I think most people could see the logic in that helping the UK citizens abroad.

Not sure whether I should speak to Gina "no one voted for me"  Miller or Tony "call me important" Blair next.

Just call me an old cynic ,but i reckon there are two hopes of us getting yearly rises ,and we all know what they are , we dont vote and most people think that we are rich people living the dream in another country . have you ever seen a picture of a "retired couple" abroad living in a cramped little condo looking old and counting the pennies  ? never its always two healthy  young looking pensioners on a beach having fun .

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Just call me an old cynic ,but i reckon there are two hopes of us getting yearly rises ,and we all know what they are , we dont vote and most people think that we are rich people living the dream in another country . have you ever seen a picture of a "retired couple" abroad living in a cramped little condo looking old and counting the pennies  ? never its always two healthy  young looking pensioners on a beach having fun .

You are right Bert, but we do need to keep the pressure up nd on, there is always a chance, small at the moment I grant you but lets keep our options open and pressure on, there is nothing to lose after all, if you dont expect anything nothing changes and then if things do change in our direction it will be good for us.

Whilst there are things going on with the EU there is chance that things might change for us and it just be that the EU who a tad angry with the UK with wanting to leave their little gang they might want to make a bit of trouble and include us as part of the deal, politics works in strange ways, ways that only serve politicians who dont care too much about the people, country or economy!

47 minutes ago, i claudius said:

I would like to think what Nong38 said about the EU wanting to get back at Britain by getting our pensions upgraded .but it was the court of human? Rights in Brussels who backed Bliar in stopping us getting them.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are correct, but we had not upset them then by wanting to leave, the goalposts may be changing and especially today after there has been a right old outburst by the score in the EU parliament, I am forever hopeful that politicians will get things trying to get things right ( for themselves ). You never know with the Eu some of the really daft things they come up with and our lot might think that 500m a year is a lot better than giving that lot 30-90 billion, both sides could come to our aid without realizing it.

22 minutes ago, nong38 said:

You are correct, but we had not upset them then by wanting to leave, the goalposts may be changing and especially today after there has been a right old outburst by the score in the EU parliament, I am forever hopeful that politicians will get things trying to get things right ( for themselves ). You never know with the Eu some of the really daft things they come up with and our lot might think that 500m a year is a lot better than giving that lot 30-90 billion, both sides could come to our aid without realizing it.

This requires further explanation, I cant see how the EU would have any influence on UK pensions and expats outside the EU

I would have thought not reaching a deal to uprate UK  pensions in the EU offers more scope, as this would bring the issue more to prominance in the UK 

Edited by rockingrobin
10 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

This requires further explanation, I cant see how the EU would have any influence on UK pensions and expats outside the EU

I would have thought not reaching a deal to uprate UK  pensions in the EU offers more scope, as this would bring the issue more to prominance in the UK 

It is clear that the UK and the EU will at some point have to strike a deal or we walk away and if we walk away there will be no divorce bill. The EU will not want others to be following in our wake and its just possible that the EU may word things in such a away that ex pats living outside the UK must have their pensions increased in line with those in the EU, just make things more difficult for us ( the UK ). There is little link unless the EU wants to start meddling and I would not put it past them.

41 minutes ago, nong38 said:

It is clear that the UK and the EU will at some point have to strike a deal or we walk away and if we walk away there will be no divorce bill. The EU will not want others to be following in our wake and its just possible that the EU may word things in such a away that ex pats living outside the UK must have their pensions increased in line with those in the EU, just make things more difficult for us ( the UK ). There is little link unless the EU wants to start meddling and I would not put it past them.

I cannot see how the EU has any remit regarding expats outside the EU. 

If the media are correct the EU and UK have already reached an agreement on the uprating of pensions for expats in the EU. 

Edited by rockingrobin
1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

I cannot see how the EU has any remit regarding expats outside the EU. 

If the media are correct the EU and UK have already reached an agreement on the uprating of pensions for expats in the EU. 

Read my last sentance again and there is your answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats great .saying about the beer range .surely. You can change to leo.thats my drink in thailand ..but for pension not getting a rise while in thailand. It stinks pall .the richer get richer in this shit hole.all we do is work to have a nice life and at the end they cant even give people a decent. Pension.like all the coments and hope all are having a good time in thailand

11 hours ago, nong38 said:

Before you posted it was at its highest for about 15 months, to take a particular day one way or the other proves nothing, the pound is at the whim of the world, the Brexit talks, the media, the commentators, every bit of business information, result and speculation, we cannot influence any of it all we can do is comment. Its better than what it was, but, its going to be volatile until the Brexit has been completed and we see where we are in the brave new world. we may need to grit our teeth a few times before the new normal level is found but then that was always going to be the case when the UK voted to leave the EU, prepare for the worst and hope the best.

you are correct but as i said if Labour under Corbyn get into power ,be afraid ,be very afraid

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 8:37 AM, bert bloggs said:

The pound is tanking again ,the world is afraid there will be a snap election and Corbles will get in , boy will we be in trouble .

Currencies have to be viewed long term unless you are a trader

Uncertainty creates weakness

UK stock markets are at a substantial discount to those of the USA

2/3 yrs forward, I will be surprised if £ vs US $ is not back above 1.5

Maybe now is the time to buy UK tracker ETFs with money not required for at least 3/4 yrs hoping for double win, markets plus currency, today whilst from the UK I am US dollar denominated and geared