UK pensions

Are you saying that a person that has over claimed on the state pension, and it comes to the attention of the authorities, that they cannot claw back that money from you somehow. Surely not.

Hard to see how you can "overclaim" on OAP but no they cannot Look on the rules previous page Has to come to recipient cannot be stopped reduced or whatever

But can be frozen if you are idiot enough to tell them

" Look on the rules previous page"

What rules ? Where can we find them ?

Ah! there you are, but you were the one relaying the "rules" you know the "met at the airport" stuff the " serious trouble" bilge along with 1234 as well,maybe 1 but then maybe 2 no its 3 might be 4 ..and the other Interveiwed by the police crap

Look it up ,not "its in there somewhere" crap either

Thanks for the link. Notably Part 11 includes in the terms of the declaration:" I understand that if I fail to promptly notify the Department of a change in circumstances, I may be liable to prosecution or other action.

I can find no reference to any rule which appears to restrict or otherwise constrain the DWP from recovering over-payments from future scheduled payments.

I can

Thanks for the link. Notably Part 11 includes in the terms of the declaration:" I understand that if I fail to promptly notify the Department of a change in circumstances, I may be liable to prosecution or other action.

I can find no reference to any rule which appears to restrict or otherwise constrain the DWP from recovering over-payments from future scheduled payments.

"Or other action"

Transam: The same link also states, in the accompanying notes to assist completion:

" If we pay you too much money If we pay you too much money we have the right to take back any money we pay that you are not entitled to. This may be because of the way the payment system works. For example, you may give us some information which means you are entitled to less money. Sometimes we may not be able to change the amount we have already paid you. This means we will have paid you money that you are not entitled to. We will contact you before we take back any money. Important additional information You must tell us straight away when your bank or account details change. If you do not, your payments may be delayed. If you require further information, please contact us on +44 191 218 7777. You may find it useful to keep these notes."

"Or other action"

Lets get this straight this "friend" of yours is he /was he on OAP? you do not know?...but you knew he was on something,sickness ,disability? credits? something like.....yes show the letter lets 'ave a butchers

"Or other action"

Lets get this straight this "friend" of yours is he /was he on OAP? you do not know?...but you knew he was on something,sickness ,disability? credits? something like.....yes show the letter lets 'ave a butchers

You will not see a letter shown to me in confidence. I pride myself on complete honesty. When I see the letter I will tell you all the outcome....OK.

My TVF honesty is no.1 to me. If you don't like that, up to you.

I wait to read the letter.............smile.png

• Like 1

The '30 or 35' bracket applies to the generation born around 1958-62 (exact dates should be on their website). It was a carrot and stick approach enabling HMG to slide the age by which claimants became eligible to draw their OAP's from 65 to 67 at 3 month intervals depending on their actual date of birth. Anyone capped at 30 years of NI cont are advised to contact HMRC after Apr 16 for details re topping up (if passed by Parliament) to 35.

HTH

April 16 ..... 2016 ??? or what ???

I stopped paying NI after 30 years contributions, would have kept paying but they wouldn't let me.

Me too; I guess we'll both find out next Easter.

Update..

Mrs.Trans just had a phone call from the farangs lady...He don't want folk know his business.........We do know he must pay back 5,000 quid to pension service. If I find out more I will post...

No letter? What a surprise!

Update..

Mrs.Trans just had a phone call from the farangs lady...He don't want folk know his business.........We do know he must pay back 5,000 quid to pension service. If I find out more I will post...

I/we must respect a guys thoughts......The 5 grand is for sure. But I would never post a letter here, you trust me or you don't......

I/we must respect a guys thoughts......The 5 grand is for sure. But I would never post a letter here, you trust me or you don't......

This will not be just pension overpayment surely, probably doing them for all sorts of benefits as well

• Like 1

This will not be just pension overpayment surely, probably doing them for all sorts of benefits as well

Not sure, yes one letter......If other benefits were involved there would be multiple letters as none are tied.

Update..

Wasn't worried, would have accepted your word, don't accept their word though.

As the last poster said, not recovery of pension over-payments, but some sort of false benefits claim.

(5 grand would have been 10 years frozen pension over-payments or more)

Update..

As the last poster said, not recovery of pension over-payments, but some sort of false benefits claim.

I will try and find out stuff.....smile.png

Let's work it out, pension increase in the region of 3 quid per week per year.

First year in Thailand 150gbp overpay, year 2 300gbp, year 3 450gbp, year 4 600gbp year 5 750gbp (so far 1,750gbp)

Yep, around 10 years for 5 grand ...... so this guy would need to be over 76 years old when they wanted the money back ...... seems unlikely.

Let's work it out, pension increase in the region of 3 quid per week per year.

First year in Thailand 150gbp overpay, year 2 300gbp, year 3 450gbp, year 4 600gbp year 5 750gbp (so far 1,750gbp)

Yep, around 10 years for 5 grand ...... so this guy would need to be over 76 years old when they wanted the money back ...... seems unlikely.

He is around that age............Leave it with me.......smile.png

I can

It may be from a couple of years ago but you may want to have a look -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9506266/Navy-widow-jailed-for-pension-fraud-after-failing-to-reveal-new-boyfriend.html

I can

It may be from a couple of years ago but you may want to have a look -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9506266/Navy-widow-jailed-for-pension-fraud-after-failing-to-reveal-new-boyfriend.html

Thanks for the link to the Telegraph article which confirms loud and clear that those who try to circumvent the law lay themselves open to prosecution,possible imprisonment ,as in this case, and recovery of the over-payment. It is grossly irresponsible to seek to persuade people that they can disregard the law and any signed undertakings or declarations they have made and get away with it. The essence of my point is that the DWP (in the case of an overpaid state pension), don't even need a prosecution to recover the over-payments. They can simply recover the over-payments from the future payment schedule and leave you with the burden and cost of bringing a court action to challenge this arrangement should you disagree. If of course you loose, then you bear the cost of the court action, so who in his right mind would take the risk.

I don't know if this is relevant but some weeks ago I was reading a govt website and it stated that the state pension cannot be stopped ,although I am sure they could put it to the level of when you left,as for the woman who got 9 months for getting 144k,she will be out in 5 after spending time in butlins . Sorry open prison ,not bad can I have some of that lol

I thought that getting more by deferring was ending, but it seems not. Deferring looks like a good idea if you're (ahem) abroad. Even under the new scheme you get 1% extra for every nine weeks you defer, which is attractive.

...................and if you live abroad, in a country where the pension increases are normally frozen, you also get the benefit of receiving these increases for the duration of the deferment period.

I thought that getting more by deferring was ending, but it seems not. Deferring looks like a good idea if you're (ahem) abroad. Even under the new scheme you get 1% extra for every nine weeks you defer, which is attractive.

It is 10.4% per year but Steve Webb announced before he got the boot that this was soon to change to 5.2% and remember its only on the state pension part not the full pension with all the add ons. Currently you have to consider that for every year you defer you give up approx 5000 gbp to gain on the deal you will need to live for 10 years, when the new rate comes in it doubles, take your time and work it out, sounds good but its not.

• Like 2

It is 10.4% per year but Steve Webb announced before he got the boot that this was soon to change to 5.2% and remember its only on the state pension part not the full pension with all the add ons. Currently you have to consider that for every year you defer you give up approx 5000 gbp to gain on the deal you will need to live for 10 years, when the new rate comes in it doubles, take your time and work it out, sounds good but its not.

If you qualify for the 10.4% deal, plan on living for a long time and don't need your pension straight away then its probably worth doing.

If you qualify for the 10.4% deal, plan on living for a long time and don't need your pension straight away then its probably worth doing.

Er... how many of us don't plan on living for a long time? crazy.gif

Those with serious medical conditions and those from families with a familial incidence of conditions known to prejudice against longevity.

Surprisingly, it is thought that most people underestimate their life expectancy. Perhaps your just an optimist ?smile.pngsmile.png

Er... how many of us don't plan on living for a long time? crazy.gif

Those with serious medical conditions and those from families with a familial incidence of conditions known to prejudice against longevity.

Surprisingly, it is thought that most people underestimate their life expectancy. Perhaps your just an optimist ?smile.pngsmile.png

If only you knew exactly when you were going to die... you could start spending your capital instead of leaving it invested and living off the interest. biggrin.png

If I knew I was going to die in two years' time, what a fantastic two years that would be! smile.png

• Like 2

The Foreign Office has launched a review into whether its overseas aid is being used "effectively".

It comes as the Sun reported thousands of pounds of Foreign Office aid was spent on a TV gameshow and on finding female mates for an endangered fish.

The Foreign Office said most of its aid promoted prosperity and stability, but the review would ensure every penny represented "value for money".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33266167

Mods: Feel free to move if there's a better page elsewhere.

Edited by evadgib