UK pensions

Of course you need to get all your ducks in a row with the same addresses etc, and never have anything to do with the embassy, certainly not registering or getting income verification letters from them for extensions. If you do that the only way I can see them locating you is if they ask Thai immigration, and even then if you have an extension there is nothing that says you cannot be in the EU for the required time to get your pension increase.

Registering at the Thai immigration means nothing,just easy access to the country when you arrive,likewise income letters,it would take some doing to track movements,but then is it worth it? no.

Always cheaper flying into hub airport on continent,saved a packet BKK Oslo Barc then Ryanair to favourite airport.

Just get on with it obviously jealousy on this thread would get a notice or two,but my tax bill would make anyone wince at the size of it,

For somebody with such a "Big Tax" bill, you sure have an avid interest in a subject (Frozen State Pension) that would be (to people with a "reasonable" tax bill) a "rounding error" in their monthly finances.

For me, any (UK) Tax Bill that would make me "wince" would include elements where it would be of benefit to be a non-UK resident for Tax purposes (which you clearly could be/are?), so either you're fiddling yourself out of money or I doubt I'd be impressed at the "size of yours" (Tax Bill that is).

Happy to be proven wrong (whilst continuing to pay 0% CGT/Tax on income from my UK Property & only 10% withholding Tax on my UK Dividends).

never be a non-resident for tax purposes pensions derive from the UK.,thought you would have known that

Well we get all sorts of commentators,,just like Mr offshore with all his property in the UK,....and yes all have to pay tax (well no not really,especially when you are offshore,this thread will not concern you ,pay nothing in,get nothing out most importantly I do not like getting shafted,,especially when i pay it and getting stuffed at the other end when trying for something back

A bit of good news though,yes I think one AN Other would have taken note,superannuation was extracted wrongly for those in uniform going to cost the tax payer over half a billion,another good reason why the state pension will never change,not in the foreseeable future anyway

Obviously still working,get to the pension stage,or getting thrown off the Offshore element will make a difference

• Like 2

Of course you need to get all your ducks in a row with the same addresses etc, and never have anything to do with the embassy, certainly not registering or getting income verification letters from them for extensions. If you do that the only way I can see them locating you is if they ask Thai immigration, and even then if you have an extension there is nothing that says you cannot be in the EU for the required time to get your pension increase.

Registering at the Thai immigration means nothing,just easy access to the country when you arrive,likewise income letters,it would take some doing to track movements,but then is it worth it? no.

Always cheaper flying into hub airport on continent,saved a packet BKK Oslo Barc then Ryanair to favourite airport.

Just get on with it obviously jealousy on this thread would get a notice or two,but my tax bill would make anyone wince at the size of it,

For somebody with such a "Big Tax" bill, you sure have an avid interest in a subject (Frozen State Pension) that would be (to people with a "reasonable" tax bill) a "rounding error" in their monthly finances.

For me, any (UK) Tax Bill that would make me "wince" would include elements where it would be of benefit to be a non-UK resident for Tax purposes (which you clearly could be/are?), so either you're fiddling yourself out of money or I doubt I'd be impressed at the "size of yours" (Tax Bill that is).

Happy to be proven wrong (whilst continuing to pay 0% CGT/Tax on income from my UK Property & only 10% withholding Tax on my UK Dividends).

never be a non-resident for tax purposes pensions derive from the UK.,thought you would have known that

Well we get all sorts of commentators,,just like Mr offshore with all his property in the UK,....and yes all have to pay tax (well no not really,especially when you are offshore,this thread will not concern you ,pay nothing in,get nothing out most importantly I do not like getting shafted,,especially when i pay it and getting stuffed at the other end when trying for something back

A bit of good news though,yes I think one AN Other would have taken note,superannuation was extracted wrongly for those in uniform going to cost the tax payer over half a billion,another good reason why the state pension will never change,not in the foreseeable future anyway

Obviously still working,get to the pension stage,or getting thrown off the Offshore element will make a difference

Are you having a laugh? I'm a non-UK resident for Tax purposes from my days working in Singapore where I paid approx 11-13% on my salary (vs approx 45-50% including NI & this before the 50% tax bracket), & there is no way I'm paying 35+% tax on my UK Dividends so I can save my £2,200pa state pension from being frozen (I contracted out of SERPS in 1988) so I'll be in the "Never" camp thanks.

When (if) you get to the position where your tax bill makes people "wince", you'll understand there are a lot more income streams than pensions/UK property & when you look up, you'll see that there are very few truly wealthy people (I am certainly not one of them) who #choose# to be UK-Resident for Tax Purposes.

Are you having a laugh? I'm a non-UK resident for Tax purposes from my days working in Singapore where I paid approx 11-13% on my salary (vs approx 45-50% including NI & this before the 50% tax bracket), & there is no way I'm paying 35+% tax on my UK Dividends so I can save my £2,200pa state pension from being frozen (I contracted out of SERPS in 1988) so I'll be in the "Never" camp thanks.

When (if) you get to the position where your tax bill makes people "wince", you'll understand there are a lot more income streams than pensions/UK property & when you look up, you'll see that there are very few truly wealthy people (I am certainly not one of them) who #choose# to be UK-Resident for Tax Purposes.

No ,it makes me wince,not interested in how others react ps but yes I renewed my driving licence here

No ,it makes me wince,not interested in how others react ps but yes I renewed my driving licence here

As long as you sleep well at night...

Ah, so you remain UK resident for tax purposes hence the taxman doesn't care where you live and you deserve your pension cost of living increases. All that being true you really have no interest in the subject of pension increases for expats whilst living overseas other than to spout and seek attention, gottit!

EDIT: apologies, have just read the rest of the thread so I see this point has been covered.

Edited by chiang mai

Too funny:

To be clear, I pay tax in the place where I am resident, in my case that means paying Thai tax and US income tax.

And yes, I have a UK state pension which the UK government says is not taxable, their decision not mine - that point may well be moot soon if the Chancellor removes the personal allowance from non-residents, oh well.

And before the point is over egged: I own a a retirement property, a very modest but pleasant flat, in the UK and it was bequeathed to me some years ago, no it is never rented out for income purposes and yes, I pay all the taxes associated with it.

If you need further financial tips on how to manage your future retirement funds, feel free to ask!

Re not paying tax on income from UK property - Can I ask how you manage that presuming it is not "evading" the issue? Other than if it is either below the allowance threshold (if you claim it) or you have enough "expenses" to reduce it. Otherwise I would be interested to learn thumbsup.gif

Re not paying tax on income from UK property - Can I ask how you manage that presuming it is not "evading" the issue? Other than if it is either below the allowance threshold (if you claim it) or you have enough "expenses" to reduce it. Otherwise I would be interested to learn thumbsup.gif
After expenses it's below the personal taxation level & aside from an insignificant amount of Interest paid by the bank (which I get back as I need to complete Tax Returns) the only other income I draw from the UK is Dividends which have the withholding 10% Tax baked in.

Edit: As I had my own ltd company before I left the UK, my accountant completes my Tax Returns (costs me £400 to get back a few quid in Tax, I have to gather all of the information & check its correct but I don't mind paying it as he stays on top of any changes that might impact me) and one of the things I didn't know the 1st year was that on top of actual expenses, you can claim a percentage for "Wear & Tear", I can't remember how much this is but they're due to send me my completed 2014/15 Return any day now so will check when I get that.

Edited by JB300

Today it is reported in the Indie that that jolly George from number 11 has asked that tax simplification issue (income tax/NI) we be reviewed again. You may remember in 2011 that this was looked at and not taken further, well its now appearing on the table again which mean all pensioners would suddenly have to stump up another 10% tax if it came into being. There is apparently no chance of this happening in this Parliament, but, something to keep an eye on. If NI were to disappear I guess that the "entitlement" and benefit would become shrouded into a mist and what you paid into and which now longer exists would be a benefit which you may now no longer receive, in due course, the implications are frightening. It is to be hoped that this Jolly Jape never becomes PM!

PS I dont like his hairstyle, you may remember he changed it to cover up his receding locks which were a result of climate change.

• Like 1

Only 1 in 3 will get the flat-rate £148 state pension in full: Ministers promised it was for everyone but missed contributions hit an extra 100,000 workers

New pension was unveiled as a way of ending unfairness and complexity
But figures imply 100,000 fewer people than expected will get the maximum
30,000 who it was thought would qualify in the first year will get far less

By RUTH LYTHE FOR MONEY MAIL

Pension blow: Government figures imply 100,000 fewer people than expected will get the maximum state pension in the first ten years of the new deal

Just one in three workers will receive the full £148 flat-rate state pension next year — far fewer than first estimated, Money Mail can reveal.
Government figures imply 100,000 fewer than expected will get the maximum in the first ten years of the new deal.
This includes an estimated 30,000 people who it was thought would qualify in the first year but will now get far less.

In total, just 222,000 of the roughly 600,000 people who will hit state pension age in the 12 months from April 2016 can claim the full amount.
It is a new blow to a generation of savers who were told everyone would get the flat-rate pension if they had paid their National Insurance contributions.

Malcolm McLean, senior consultant at actuarial firm Barnett Waddingham, says: ‘Some politicians, who should have known better, said we would have a more generous and simpler flat-rate pension scheme,

Daily Mail 2015-07-22

After expenses it's below the personal taxation level & aside from an insignificant amount of Interest paid by the bank (which I get back as I need to complete Tax Returns) the only other income I draw from the UK is Dividends which have the withholding 10% Tax baked in.

Edit: As I had my own ltd company before I left the UK, my accountant completes my Tax Returns (costs me £400 to get back a few quid in Tax, I have to gather all of the information & check its correct but I don't mind paying it as he stays on top of any changes that might impact me) and one of the things I didn't know the 1st year was that on top of actual expenses, you can claim a percentage for "Wear & Tear", I can't remember how much this is but they're due to send me my completed 2014/15 Return any day now so will check when I get that.

OK thanks.

By the way I presume your place is rented out furnished? If so my understanding is you can claim 10% Wear and Tear (on the rental payments) or use the Renewals basis - IE where something breaks/wears out you replace it and charge that cost. My understanding is you have to select one or the other and cannot change it around to suit your expenses. If the property is not furnished you cannot claim Wear and Tear. This is on-going and not just for the first year.

Just found this - http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/information/rental-income-savings-income-and-pensioner-issues/property-owner/furnishings

OK thanks.

By the way I presume your place is rented out furnished? If so my understanding is you can claim 10% Wear and Tear (on the rental payments) or use the Renewals basis - IE where something breaks/wears out you replace it and charge that cost. My understanding is you have to select one or the other and cannot change it around to suit your expenses. If the property is not furnished you cannot claim Wear and Tear. This is on-going and not just for the first year.

Just found this - http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/information/rental-income-savings-income-and-pensioner-issues/property-owner/furnishings

Thanks for confirming, I had it in the back of my mind that it was 10% but wasn't sure.

Yes I rent it out fully furnished & go down the "10% Wear & Tear" route, but each year spend money maintaining the house on things like having the back trees pruned, redoing the driveway/patio, full repaint/treatment of the external wood, replace the boiler etc..., which you can claim for in addition to the "Wear & Tear".

Only 1 in 3 will get the flat-rate £148 state pension in full: Ministers promised it was for everyone but missed contributions hit an extra 100,000 workers

Pension blow: Government figures imply 100,000 fewer people than expected will get the maximum state pension in the first ten years of the new deal

Just one in three workers will receive the full £148 flat-rate state pension next year — far fewer than first estimated, Money Mail can reveal.

Government figures imply 100,000 fewer than expected will get the maximum in the first ten years of the new deal.

This includes an estimated 30,000 people who it was thought would qualify in the first year but will now get far less.

In total, just 222,000 of the roughly 600,000 people who will hit state pension age in the 12 months from April 2016 can claim the full amount.

It is a new blow to a generation of savers who were told everyone would get the flat-rate pension if they had paid their National Insurance contributions.

Malcolm McLean, senior consultant at actuarial firm Barnett Waddingham, says: ‘Some politicians, who should have known better, said we would have a more generous and simpler flat-rate pension scheme,

Daily Mail 2015-07-22

What a surprise! At least we know where we stand. It has always been, pension forecasting, something of a mystery to soon to be recipients. I can remember at work when people asked how much pension they would receive, they were never given a definitive figure, always a rough figure. I dont think it was wildly out and the HMG forecast as well not far off, but commitment to an actual figure seems to be avoided.

I suspect that many people automatically thought that they would be getting 148+ pension according to their DOB and never bothered to check that this was the case and as time goes by the less time they have to correct the shortfall, there are lot of balls that you need to be on all the time and do keep checking here for something you might have missed that someone else has picked up on.

Isn't it possible to move back to the UK for a few months...get your pension back in line then head back to Thailand?

Worth doing perhaps every few years...

While back in the UK you will get full pension with all entitlements but on moving back to Thailand your pension reverts to what it was on the initial claim.

Sorry they got you all ways.

:-(

Just keep your habitual residence in the UK or Europe like everyone else!!!

nong38: Re #983

This is further reason to be sceptical about the accuracy not only of pension forecasting but of pensions themselves. I have four pensions and regularly sought pension forecast updates prior to bringing them into payment. In every case they have paid out a pension significantly different to the forecast. Fortuitously, my pensions have all bettered their forecast but it raises the interesting proposition that there might be lots of people out there drawing pensions either in excess of or short of their entitlement. Checking the accuracy of your utility bill can be hellish but checking the accuracy of your pension is in most cases impossible.

I have been helping a friend claim a pension from the Republic of Ireland. She had worked there for several employers in the 60's, before the age of computers. Most of these employers, contrary to a legal requirement, either didn't make Social Insurance contributions on behalf of their employees or the Social Insurance agency has no record of them. The relevant law at that time did not require employers to provide written contracts of employment and few employers even issued letters of appointment, making it almost impossible for a claimant to even prove the fact of their employment I strongly suspect that many people have been swindled out of their pension entitlements through poor administration and record keeping.

• Like 1

Daily Mail 2015-07-22

The figure £148 is not set in stone anyway,first £152,then £150 ,now £148 could easily be at £145 or even lower when April next year comes around....bit of a bugger when the 2023 year was unveiled at the lower figure of £113.10 for basic pension. Only those who have done sod all will get the full amount., just being chased lower and lower each year

The "Wrath of God" has not been visited on the erring pensioners I see

Fraud and error in the benefit system: financial year 2014/15 preliminary estimates.

No investigation

Never mind,could make something up I suppose

Yes keep an address in UK Spain or anywhere DWP hardly going to write to a UK address asking if you are in Thailand,make them look a laughing stock,plus a waste of a stamp

Daily Mail 2015-07-22

The figure £148 is not set in stone anyway,first £152,then £150 ,now £148 could easily be at £145 or even lower when April next year comes around....bit of a bugger when the 2023 year was unveiled at the lower figure of £113.10 for basic pension. Only those who have done sod all will get the full amount., just being chased lower and lower each year

The "Wrath of God" has not been visited on the erring pensioners I see

Fraud and error in the benefit system: financial year 2014/15 preliminary estimates.

No investigation

Never mind,could make something up I suppose

Yes keep an address in UK Spain or anywhere DWP hardly going to write to a UK address asking if you are in Thailand,make them look a laughing stock,plus a waste of a stamp

Well its easy to see where the money is going and who is going to be targeted and it is only the low pension fraud that keeping the other figures down, seems like we are pretty honest and law abiding bunch of chaps and chapess's then.

Looks like priorities lie elsewhere.

I have been helping a friend claim a pension from the Republic of Ireland. She had worked there for several employers in the 60's, before the age of computers. Most of these employers, contrary to a legal requirement, either didn't make Social Insurance contributions on behalf of their employees or the Social Insurance agency has no record of them. The relevant law at that time did not require employers to provide written contracts of employment and few employers even issued letters of appointment, making it almost impossible for a claimant to even prove the fact of their employment I strongly suspect that many people have been swindled out of their pension entitlements through poor administration and record keeping.

Income tax records would show all employers, wages paid, and SS contributions.

She did pay income tax?

She did pay income tax?

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. Unfortunately she no longer has any pay statements ( assuming in the first instance that they were ever issued) that would evidence any deductions. I suspect that most of her employment fell below the personal allowance threshold for income tax.

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni

She did pay income tax?

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. Unfortunately she no longer has any pay statements ( assuming in the first instance that they were ever issued) that would evidence any deductions. I suspect that most of her employment fell below the personal allowance threshold for income tax.

I know people in a similar situation -- just a few years of working in another country - lack of records - employer now untraceable - etc - etc and the comment made by a consulting accountant was that they are the victim of a crime, but have no recourse to compensation.

The moral of the story is that if you want a pension -- keep a record of your contributions into the scheme -- where-ever it is.

• Like 1

She did pay income tax?

Perhaps I am missing something here. You specify the 60's, but suspect most of her employment fell below the threshold for tax. Is it not possible that your friend has paid nowhere near enough to collect a pension ?

What about her employment from the 70's, 80's or 90's ?

She did pay income tax?

Perhaps I am missing something here. You specify the 60's, but suspect most of her employment fell below the threshold for tax. Is it not possible that your friend has paid nowhere near enough to collect a pension ?

She left the Republic of Ireland to work in the UK when she about 20 years old so she has UK contributions that entitle her to a reduced UK pension. The Republic of Ireland Social Insurance agency have recognized some of her earlier employment in that country where they can find evidence but she had several brief periods of employment in her teens where she can provide no evidence by way of a contract, letter of appointment or pay statement and the Republic of Ireland government similarly has no records. As jpinx so aptly quoted: "a victim of a crime without recourse to compensation"

She did pay income tax?

She left the Republic of Ireland to work in the UK when she about 20 years old so she has UK contributions that entitle her to a reduced UK pension. The Republic of Ireland Social Insurance agency have recognized some of her earlier employment in that country where they can find evidence but she had several brief periods of employment in her teens where she can provide no evidence by way of a contract, letter of appointment or pay statement and the Republic of Ireland government similarly has no records. As jpinx so aptly quoted: "a victim of a crime without recourse to compensation"

Perhaps I am missing the program here. Your friend left the ROI for the UK when she was about 20 and is trying to get a pension from the ROI !!

What am I missing ?

JockPieandBeans:

What you are perhaps missing is that in some countries, brief periods of employment can give rise to modest pensions which when added together with other pensions can result in a reasonable income. So even if you have only four years employment in the Republic of Ireland in your teens It's worth persuing a claim. If you paid for it with your contributions then your entitled to the benefit. The people with only their State pension to rely would find an extra £15.00 a month a godsend.

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni

Rajab

No offence intended in my posts.

Yes, I am aware of multiple pensions. To my cost I am also aware of the tax implications.

What I was not aware of, is that in some Countries that a maximum of 4 years contributions could result in a part pension.

Although I am fully aware of the UK contribution ( subject to yet more change ) current system. I would have thought that with only 4 years contributions, it would cost more to actually administer that part pension, than what it was actually worth. So would just be cancelled out.

Rajab

No offence intended in my posts.

Yes, I am aware of multiple pensions. To my cost I am also aware of the tax implications.

What I was not aware of, is that in some Countries that a maximum of 4 years contributions could result in a part pension.

Although I am fully aware of the UK contribution ( subject to yet more change ) current system. I would have thought that with only 4 years contributions, it would cost more to actually administer that part pension, than what it was actually worth. So would just be cancelled out.

No offence taken.

The Uk government has recently enacted legislation to debar contributors from drawing pensions where they have made less than 10 years contributions. Similar arrangements may apply in other countries, given as you point out, the cost of administration. I don't think that this is such a rule in the Republic of Ireland as the lady in question now draws a tiny pension based on about 18 months contributions.

I am strongly opposed to these qualifying periods for reason of administrative convenience given that in the case of the UK government, they make private pension providers pay you something for your contributions however small. In some schemes they simply pay out a lump sum and others give you your contributions back.

At least the initial issue is resolved however small the pension is.

We can agree to disagree.

If some have to make 30 ( at least ) contributions. Then it should be the same for all.

As it now seems likely that the Government is taking away all UK Services for those that decide to move abroad. I for 1, will be more than happy when they refund my contributions with compound interest.

I do not see that happening anytime soon.