UK pensions

Think you will find its £148 per week.

The guy is already on OAP so he will stick with that rate he is on now...13 weeks? hardly worth it flying backwards and forwards

For increases a person could stay 90 days in Thailand -- hop over to the philippines for long enough to register with DWP and hop back again for the next 90 days. Dunno about Pension Credits though - seems like that is a different ball-game

I am registered in LOS and my basic was topped up to 135 quid......smile.png

I know someone who's friend lives in LOS but pension wise lives in the UK whistling.gif , was caught out and is now having to pay money back.sad.pngsad.png

Pray tell,how is the money being paid back?

It is UK law that a person on a state pension must be left with a decent amount to live on.

I know someone who's friend lives in LOS but pension wise lives in the UK whistling.gif , was caught out and is now having to pay money back.sad.pngsad.png

It is UK law that a person on a state pension must be left with a decent amount to live on.

possum1931 - do you have link to reference that statement - and how do you define "decent"?

• Like 1

Benefit overpayments and social fund loans

The Limitation Act says that the limitation period for benefit overpayments and social fund loans is six years.

The cause of action (when the limitation period starts running) for benefit overpayments, is when a final decision is made on the overpayment.

This is most likely to be a final decision by a council, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or a tribunal.

For social fund loans, the cause of action is when the loan becomes due for repayment.

If the council or DWP tries to issue a county court claim against you for an overpayment of benefit, and you think it is statute-barred, you can put in a defence. This is complicated and you should get legal advice first.

However, if you are getting ongoing benefits, the DWP or council can take money directly from your benefit or wages to repay overpayments. The rules can be complicated.

Not much in the UK budget to worry expats and possibly one little bit of good news, it seems like anyone receiving dividend interest from shares will have a 5000gbp allowance from some time in the future so I am sure some look forward to that, personal tax allowance will now make small gains every year by the look of it til the end of the Parliament.

Edited by nong38

What concerned me as I mentioned above, is that if he were to apply for Pension Credit and get that refused as he comes to Thailand every 6 months, the next thing they will do is refuse him his Pension increase as well as he 'lives' in a Thailand - a country not eligible for the annual increase!

Thanks again to you all for your feedback.

He would be entitled for the time in the UK, so no refusal. I applied for the time I was back to sell my house, about 3 months. It is a slow process and you need to be there as they can phone you up any time to ask questions. I had become ineliglble by the time they paid me. The good thing was that after I had ceased to be eligible they continued to pay for a further 6 months, sometimes you do get something for nothing.

I am not sure on current rates but he would get the difference between OAP and pension credit. That could be reduced by a certain amount depending on money in the bank. Other benefits may also be available so it is worth doing, even for a short time.

The 5000gbp dividend allowance starts next April and the Personal Tax allowance goes up to 11,000GBP (up 400 ) the following year 2017 it is go up by a further 200GBP to 11200 GBP.

Good article in the Moneymail.co.uk today, there might be other things that apply to you, buy to let landlords etc.

The 5000gbp dividend allowance starts next April and the Personal Tax allowance goes up to 11,000GBP (up 400 ) the following year 2017 it is go up by a further 200GBP to 11200 GBP.

Good article in the Moneymail.co.uk today, there might be other things that apply to you, buy to let landlords etc.

Interesting as about the only benefit I see of being a non-working non-UK resident is that I wouldn't have to pay additional tax on dividends if I went above the higher tax rate, if this allowance is a sign of things to come then I'm tempted to declare myself as a UK resident (for tax purposes) as I can only see this helping in terms of future changes to frozen pensions/access to NHS etc...

Anything I'm missing here???

NB I'm ignoring capital gains tax as all of my assets were either purchased more than 5 (complete tax) years ago or have been purchased whilst I've been a non-resident.

Edited by JB300

You are not being clear enough, it is not part of state pension, the age was 60 when I claimed. At the moment if you have reached the qualifying age a single person is entitled to £151.20 a week, couples £230.85. If your income is below that level it can be topped up with pension credit. You cannot claim pension credit if you live abroad.

I thought that getting more by deferring was ending, but it seems not. Deferring looks like a good idea if you're (ahem) abroad. Even under the new scheme you get 1% extra for every nine weeks you defer, which is attractive.

...................and if you live abroad, in a country where the pension increases are normally frozen, you also get the benefit of receiving these increases for the duration of the deferment period.

Crai Krup. I have been deferring my pension in the hope that what you say is correct i.e. I will get the deferral uplift when I take my pension even though I live in Thailand. Was this also your assumption or do you know it to be the case?

I would like everyone who is interested in the freezing of UK pensions, to go to Topic "Forced to return to home country- What would you do?

Then go to post #151 from Linky. Then read what poster Geriatric Kid has said in answer to my post about frozen pensions.

I also found this interesting quote from the government paper: Tackling Fraud Error and Debt in the Benefits and Tax Credit System (March 2015):

"DWP has also increased its efforts to eradicate benefit fraud among claimants living outside the UK, for example British pensioners living abroad. New, stringent checks place greater responsibility on people who have moved abroad to verify their identity and prove they are eligible for their claim".

• Like 1

quote --

over 90 countries across the world sign up to automatically exchange information on taxpayers

--endquote

Anyone know where this list is? wink.png

I think this is what you are looking for although it's not bang up to date as further countries are acceding to the agreement on a daily basis:

http://www.oecd.org/tax/exchange-of-tax-information/Status_of_convention.pdf

• Like 1

quote --

over 90 countries across the world sign up to automatically exchange information on taxpayers

--endquote

Anyone know where this list is? wink.png

I think this is what you are looking for although it's not bang up to date as further countries are acceding to the agreement on a daily basis:

http://www.oecd.org/tax/exchange-of-tax-information/Status_of_convention.pdf

I don't see Thailand on that list -- anyone know anything about that?

"DWP has also increased its efforts to eradicate benefit fraud among claimants living outside the UK, for example British pensioners living abroad. New, stringent checks place greater responsibility on people who have moved abroad to verify their identity and prove they are eligible for their claim".

so what are these 'stringent checks' ? we need to know the facts, not scaremongering. If you have a UK address and a ni number why would you have to verify identity?

Edited by jacky54

so what are these 'stringent checks' ? we need to know the facts, not scaremongering. If you have a UK address and a ni number why would you have to verify identity?

I read it as an expression of intent but I don't know precisely what the DWP had in mind.

I read it as an expression of intent but I don't know precisely what the DWP had in mind.

"DWP has also increased its efforts to eradicate benefit fraud among claimants living outside the UK.........."

is in the past tense -- not some future intention.

This is typical of how they avoid allowing anyone enough information to make informed decisions about their life. They prefer us all to be reactive - not pro-active.

I sense a whiff of nervousness in the air!

• Like 2

Many years ago I was in a meeting with the Home Secretary, it was Jack Straw so that shows how long ago it was.

He was saying that when he took up post he was astounded to find that computer systems didn't "talk to each other" in the various Home Office departments, he said he was going to address this issue and would then work with Ministerial colleagues to ensure that all government departments would talk to each other.

He did say that the sharing of information, even within the Home Office, faced legal hurdles, but he was determined to overcome them.

When I retired there was little progress in the Home Office systems sharing information. it's hardly a secret that, like most government departments, the Home Office has had more than its fair share of IT fiascos, and as far as I know there was even less progress in the sharing of information between government departments.

I sense a whiff of nervousness in the air!

Must be those underpants of yours

As the DWP rules state the OAP cannot be stopped reduced or re-paid only another benefit attached to it will be reduced.

Another round of pure crap about to be launched Gossip and the war guess what happened? 1234 any guesses?

completely happy and secure along with 90% of the others in Thailand

It was targeted at "life certificates" ie are you still alive

Edited by loppylugs1

FWIW the US had similar problems with their lack of interconnected systems and information sharing between States AND more importantly, between levels of law enforcement, until 9/11 that is. The reasons for that however are somewhat different from the UK example in that nobody perceived a need!