UK pensions

@ Seekingasylum

For many state and local authority employees viz. armed forces, civil servants, police, firemen, teachers etc., the pension will be reduced since their contributions were made at a lower rate. The estimated maximum pension for them is currently in the order of £6,500 per annum

Do you have a link to this ?

I am not convinced that members of the Armed Forces paid a reduced rate in NI contributions. I can easily check as I still have pay statements back in the UK.

Any other ex-Forces member, have any recollection of reduced rates of NI ?

If there was any reduced rate it had no effect on pension contribution record. I had a pension forecast just before the 44 years came to an end and my 14 years in the RAF was fully credited.

There is possibly some confusion here between basic pension and additional pension. I believe servicemen are considered contracted out and there would be no contribution to additional pension.

Edited by sandyf

165064_128427217220473_1825598_n.jpg?oh=

Supporter MP Yasmin Qureshi has tabled new Early Day Motion 363 on frozen pensions.
Although parliament is now in recess for summer, please write to your MP urging them to sign this.

I have just found out who my MP is, (Rebecca Pow, Conservative) and sent her an email urging her to sign the edm.

I voted UKIP who came third after the the previous tosser MP Jeremy Browne (Lib Dem) stood down rather than be slaughtered at the last election.

Edited by billd766

It's hard to believe that the ultimate goal of all of us is to see the back of this 'frozen' nonsence.

A fortnight ago possum1931 commented elsewhere that this thread had died. Regulars try to keep it alive in a number of ways but are shot down by a buffoon who's only weapon is abuse.

I frankly wish TV would expidite the introduction of software enabling iggy lists to work on smartphones as i'm finding this constant pissing in the wind rather tiresome.

+

This is one reason why I just look at the thread in passing rather than participate any more.

• Like 1

If there was any reduced rate it had no effect on pension contribution record. I had a pension forecast just before the 44 years came to an end and my 14 years in the RAF was fully credited.

There is possibly some confusion here between basic pension and additional pension. I believe servicemen are considered contracted out and there would be no contribution to additional pension.

Thanks Sandy.

I found it. Members of AFPS 75 were contracted out of the State 2nd Pension ( S2P ) and did pay a reduced NI contribution.

For anyone that has not reached the OAP yet. The current difference between 30 & 35 years contributions is roughly £ 20 per week.

No doubt that will change dramatically before I am due my OA Pension.

Unbelievable. post-35489-0-51942400-1430744543.gif

Certainly incredible but not unbelievable.

You see this thread is likened to a hornet nest,disturb the nest and all the hornets come out to play...well not hornets but fellow "like" button followers

For years I know you in the Mr ( self appointed) Public Advisory role have been wrong,tosh pure and utter tosh ignoramus comment at its maximum. Now I am not offended by replied comment telling me I'm wrong,not one bit ,why should I? For you are forgoing the annual increase to help me gain and maintain the increase and for that I congratulate you,really I do,all you "like" button pressers too .

You have a job to do,and the job is keep advising of doom and hellfire,you do it well,keep it up. At the end I suppose people will realise how wrong you were ,and may indeed pin some form of tag onto you,but until then,...keep it up

...and from me thank you A BIG Thank You

For somebody who's "Thankful" to all of the people who have a bit more moral fiber & choose honesty over a few measly quid (not that the money matters to you with the tax bill that would make people wince)... You sure seem to enjoy having a go at them.

As I've said before, as long as you can sleep at night, personally I refuse to sacrifice my dignity for the derisory sum that the state pension will give me (or for a driving license) but we're all made of different stuff.

I take it all one as a time,but there are times I need to get off this comp

Depends what you mean "derisory sum" friend just had increase of £280 pm,when unfrozen here,yes with acquired advice.

Yes all different stuff,seems a bit odd though with attempts at gaining the source of my quotes,what do you think people are wanting? do you think they are of low moral fibre too?,oh I do hope not

"sleeping at night" would have positive nightmares at that sort of sum (above) being missed out on.

Yes ,guess its definitely loose moral fibre,funny that the tart up the road stated something like that to me a while ago,maybe if I was frozen the money would not be there for me to be so (loose)

No idea what you're trying to say here... " Yes all different stuff,seems a bit odd though with attempts at gaining the source of my quotes,what do you think people are wanting? do you think they are of low moral fibre too?,oh I do hope not"...

Any chance you could write it again in a language that an English guy can understand?

Yes £280 pm (£3,360 pa, less than £10 per day) is a derisory sum when it comes to sacrificing your principles, but as I've said, we're all made of different stuff...

Why are you loosing your principles and dignity,in claiming,and obtaining a sum for which you should be entitled to and have contributed for possibly 44 yrs or more?

What principles do successive governments possess, that they have consistently refused to unfreeze this unfair discrimination,while at the same time making sure that Their parliamentary pensions are allowed to grow astronomically.

I'm probably the same as you, never claimed anything from the state, worked sometimes 3 jobs, paying tax all along the way. What does this prove - I' m stupid.

• Like 2

Thanks Sandy.

I found it. Members of AFPS 75 were contracted out of the State 2nd Pension ( S2P ) and did pay a reduced NI contribution.

For anyone that has not reached the OAP yet. The current difference between 30 & 35 years contributions is roughly £ 20 per week.

There is a difference between 'reduced rate' and contracting out. The reduced rate was generally for married women and did not contribute towards state pension, just the national health.

Class 1 contributions are effectively 3 parts, national health, state pension and additional state pension. When you are contracted out you do not pay the additional component but you still pay the full rate for the state pension.

About 25 years ago people of my age were advised to contract out of SERPS and the portion of their NI contributions that would have gone to additional pension was paid into a private pension. In many cases it was bad advice as the private pension returns turned out to be less than SERPS. I couldn't be bothered with the paperwork and stayed with SERPS. It really is a bit of a lottery.

• Like 1

Why are you loosing your principles and dignity,in claiming,and obtaining a sum for which you should be entitled to and have contributed for possibly 44 yrs or more?

What principles do successive governments possess, that they have consistently refused to unfreeze this unfair discrimination,while at the same time making sure that Their parliamentary pensions are allowed to grow astronomically.

I'm probably the same as you, never claimed anything from the state, worked sometimes 3 jobs, paying tax all along the way. What does this prove - I' m stupid.

Loosing principles? dignity? what a load of codswallop, but yes but look what I am gaining,and the welfare bill does state restoring "dignity in old age" so perhaps I should claim more. Yup that £3500 per year will do nicely Thank You Perhaps I should take a hike to the Philippines,all will be restored there

I seem to be stalked too on profile page by an irate poster Mmmm wonder who that could be? maybe Mr Public Advisory himself LOL

Rajbag

Edited by loppylugs1

You guys on the Service Pensions need to check with your pension providers as to the payment of the full uplift in countries that where State Pensions are frozen, certainly they do with the main Civil Service Pension.

Certainly when I reached state pension age there was a small reduction in my Civil Service Pension, I got it increased when I advised them I was living in Thailand.

Can't give the full details as we're currently touring the UK.

• Like 1

Loosing principles? dignity? what a load of codswallop, but yes but look what I am gaining,and the welfare bill does state restoring "dignity in old age" so perhaps I should claim more. Yup that £3500 per year will do nicely Thank You Perhaps I should take a hike to the Philippines,all will be restored there

I seem to be stalked too on profile page by an irate poster Mmmm wonder who that could be? maybe Mr Public Advisory himself LOL

Rajbag

Given that you have such a poor memory here is yet another reminder of a rule that members are expected to observe:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Rajbag

Given that you have such a poor memory here is yet another reminder of a rule that members are expected to observe:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Could it be you that is stalking? you? Making comment,do not like it? take your own advice LOL

Rajbag

2014_02_24_Ignore_Button.jpg

TBH I'm kicking Thaivisa App off my smartphone with immediate effect. If they can't provide a reliable Iggy service we'll have to do it ourselves. This to me seems the way ahead.

TTFN

Edited by evadgib

Thanks Sandy.

There is a difference between 'reduced rate' and contracting out. The reduced rate was generally for married women and did not contribute towards state pension, just the national health.

Class 1 contributions are effectively 3 parts, national health, state pension and additional state pension. When you are contracted out you do not pay the additional component but you still pay the full rate for the state pension.

About 25 years ago people of my age were advised to contract out of SERPS and the portion of their NI contributions that would have gone to additional pension was paid into a private pension. In many cases it was bad advice as the private pension returns turned out to be less than SERPS. I couldn't be bothered with the paperwork and stayed with SERPS. It really is a bit of a lottery.

Agreed Sandy.

Although contracted out, full rate was paid in relation to the state pension.

You guys on the Service Pensions need to check with your pension providers as to the payment of the full uplift in countries that where State Pensions are frozen, certainly they do with the main Civil Service Pension.

Certainly when I reached state pension age there was a small reduction in my Civil Service Pension, I got it increased when I advised them I was living in Thailand.

oldgit.

I have just had a pension forecast on my Services pension as it is due to increase significantly in the near future. Part of the information provided is that ALL uplifts are paid in full, regardless of which Country in the world that you are in.

Whether there would be a small reduction at state pension age, I di not know, it was not something that I asked about, but will bear in mind when the time comes.

I have always had an increase in my RAF pension every year.

Be aware however of the age difference between you and your new wife.

When I die my wife will get the standard widow pension from the RAF Pension fund MINUS a certain amount for every year younger my wife is from me.

This is probably to stop 18 year old "ladies" from marrying 90 year old "Airships" and getting the full rate of their husbands pensions.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

When I die my wife will get the standard widow pension from the RAF Pension fund MINUS a certain amount for every year younger my wife is from me.

This is probably to stop 18 year old "ladies" from marrying 90 year old "Airships" and getting the full rate of their husbands pensions.

"When Gertrude Janeway died in 2003, she was still getting a monthly check for $70 from the Veterans Administration—for a military pension earned by her late husband, John, on the Union side of the American civil war that ended in 1865. The pair had married in 1927, when he was 81 and she was 18. The amount may have been modest but the entitlement spanned three centuries, illustrating just how long pension commitments can last. The Economist 2011

"When Gertrude Janeway died in 2003, she was still getting a monthly check for $70 from the Veterans Administration—for a military pension earned by her late husband, John, on the Union side of the American civil war that ended in 1865. The pair had married in 1927, when he was 81 and she was 18. The amount may have been modest but the entitlement spanned three centuries, illustrating just how long pension commitments can last. The Economist 2011

This is extremely useful infoirmation

I am sure the RAF pension people will now be panic riven at the thought of an ancient flyboy obtaining his nuptials after heavily engrossing an 18 year old something from Madam Tutus massage parlour and of course tying the knot

Edited by loppylugs1

A good friend in Thailand is retired from Natwest on a gold plated index linked pension - he hates the bank so much that he has sworn to do the same as Mr Janeway did, solely for the purpose of passing along his pension rights and screwing the Natwest bank. So yes, the point about longevity of pension obligations is well taken.

• Like 1

oldgit.

I have just had a pension forecast on my Services pension as it is due to increase significantly in the near future. Part of the information provided is that ALL uplifts are paid in full, regardless of which Country in the world that you are in.

Whether there would be a small reduction at state pension age, I di not know, it was not something that I asked about, but will bear in mind when the time comes.

When you reach state pension age and have a service pension there will be a small reduction in the service pension. This is to do with GMP component of your pension, the DWP becomes responsible for payment rather than the service pension provider, not entitled to it twice. If your pension is frozen then possibly you can request that the GMP be moved back to the service pension provider which would mean a reduction in state pension.

In my case the GMP was about £5/month, £60 a year, so theoretically I could gain a couple of percent of £60 a year. Not worth the effort for me but maybe for those at a much higher level.

Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) National Insurance Contributions Office (NICO) advise XP
how much of your pension the GMP amount forms at State Pension Age (SPA). Please note that this
is not an additional amount to be paid, as it forms part of your existing pension.
When you claim your State retirement benefits the Pensions Service, which is part of the Department
for Work and Pensions (DWP), is responsible for paying part of any annual pension increase on your
GMP with your State benefits. This addition will be shown on your annual pension statement received
from The Pensions Service, who may refer to GMP as Contracted Out Deductions (COD). XP must
allow for this when calculating any increase on your pension to avoid you receiving an increase on the
same amount of GMP twice.
This is how it actually appeared on my service pension statement and it creates a change in the tax code.
PENSION REDUCED FROM BIRTHDAY UNDER NATIONAL INSURANCE
MODIFICATION RULES
Edited by sandyf

I am sure the RAF pension people will now be panic riven at the thought of an ancient flyboy obtaining his nuptials after heavily engrossing an 18 year old something from Madam Tutus massage parlour and of course tying the knot

No they won't. When you get your military pension somewhere in the small print it states clearly that the widows benefit part of the pension is a fixed percentage of your pension. It then goes on to say that this will be reduced by a certain amount per year of age difference between the two of you.

This has been the case for very many years.

I am sure I have this information somewhere and if I cannot find it I will contact the authorities to get an updated version.

• Like 1

No they won't. When you get your military pension somewhere in the small print it states clearly that the widows benefit part of the pension is a fixed percentage of your pension. It then goes on to say that this will be reduced by a certain amount per year of age difference between the two of you.

I am sure I have this information somewhere and if I cannot find it I will contact the authorities to get an updated version.

Bill,

I have a letter dated Oct 2014, In response to me asking if I married would there be a widows benefit attached to my pension. I am under AFPS 75.

The short answer was. Yes.

1. 91 days at full pension.

2. Then reduced to 75% of current rate at time of death.

There was no mention of any reduction due to age difference. For those that were on the Pre AFPS 75 pension. If you married after leaving, there was no widows benefit payable.

I also know an ex-Navy guy, and I only have his word for it, but it appears there is a vast difference between Army and Navy rates of pension.

I guess all 3 Services have different rules and regulations regarding pensions.

• Like 1

Bill,

I have a letter dated Oct 2014, In response to me asking if I married would there be a widows benefit attached to my pension. I am under AFPS 75.

There was no mention of any reduction due to age difference. For those that were on the Pre AFPS 75 pension. If you married after leaving, there was no widows benefit payable.

I also know an ex-Navy guy, and I only have his word for it, but it appears there is a vast difference between Army and Navy rates of pension.

I will definitely have to chase that up this week now.

Quote from the Armed Forces Pers Admin Agency (AFPAA, Glasgow) dated Feb 07:

"If you were married after your discharge or retirement your wife will still be entitled to a percentage of your pension but your children will have no entitlement". Spouses may also be entitled to a percentage of War Pensions too but they are separate to the above.

(Service Pension = Time Served.

War Disability Pension = Injuries sustained while doing so, which, incidentally are currently tax free)

The above relates to pensions paid under AFPS 1975 which ran until 2005. The rules for post 2005 claimants will be on SPVA website.

Edit: I'll post an accurate percentage if I can find it in the smallprint in this years newsletter//It's written in gobbledygook (and i'm dyslexic!) but i'm fairly sure SPVA have previously advised that it's 40%.

Edited by evadgib

What a difference a few short years makes.full index linked,quit that after 30 years 28 in my case,then Serps inspired plus additional,then OAP.

Little wonder the country went broke,especially when another bite of the cherry looms.

The early baby boomers had it made,trouble now is they are dying like flies

Bill,

All pension schemes appear to have different rules for the treatment of spouses pensions.This seems particularly odd for pensions that all originate from the UK government or its agencies. Additionally you cannot always rely on being told the truth about the rules. One of my pension providers slipped a rule into a letter stating that they they did not pay spouses pensions where the spouse was 15 years or more younger than the scheme member. When I challenged this statement I was told there had been a change in the rules so I asked for the date of the change and for a copy of the minutes of the Pension Trustee's meeting where the change had been agreed. I subsequently received a letter of apology stating that the reference in the original letter was a mistake.

Nice catch ! ;)

Bill,

What you are saying can be found here under NON-ATTRIBUTABLE BENEFITS FROM THE AFPS

There are various clauses that need to be taken into account. This one rules me out, I left in Sept 77

• if you married after leaving the Armed Forces, only service given on or after 6 April 1978 will count towards your widow’s pension (this is known as a post-retirement widow’s pension).

Bill,

What you are saying can be found here under NON-ATTRIBUTABLE BENEFITS FROM THE AFPS

There are various clauses that need to be taken into account. This one rules me out, I left in Sept 77

• if you married after leaving the Armed Forces, only service given on or after 6 April 1978 will count towards your widow’s pension (this is known as a post-retirement widow’s pension).

Sandy,

That is the link that I found the crap about S2P.

You are correct, my Service was between 89 & 03

BILL

My apologies Sir,

I gave you duff info.

My Pension provides 50% not 75% as I stated above. On checking my paperwork, I got my pension schemes mixed up.

If you want a redacted copy of my Oct 2014 letter, just let me know and I will forward to you.

• Like 1