UK pensions

1. It was the pension people despite any mistake in my post.

2. The info was first hand when given to me. I can't post specifics for a number of reasons, inc them currently being in UK.

They have to pay back what? Income tax underpaid? Basic pension increases? Specifics would help clear this up wink.png

Edited by jpinx

This may well have been covered before, but this is such a long thread and covers a multitude of UK pension issues that I simply don't have enough time to trawl through the whole thread - sorry.

The current basic pension is around £107pw (pls correct me if that is wrong). What is the minimum amount one has to pay in to get that amount upon reaching retirement age?

I left the UK when I was 31 (in 2001) and have lived here ever since. Would I be entitled to anything or would I have to top it up? If I didn't top it up, is there somewhere I can take a look at that tells me roughly what I might be entitled too?

Thanks.

The truth is nobody has a clue.

By the time you retire the new system will be in force.

You would need to have made 35 years of contributions.

If not you will get a reduced amount providing you have paid more than 10 years.

You may be able to top it up.

This may well have been covered before, but this is such a long thread and covers a multitude of UK pension issues that I simply don't have enough time to trawl through the whole thread - sorry.

The current basic pension is around £107pw (pls correct me if that is wrong). What is the minimum amount one has to pay in to get that amount upon reaching retirement age?

I left the UK when I was 31 (in 2001) and have lived here ever since. Would I be entitled to anything or would I have to top it up? If I didn't top it up, is there somewhere I can take a look at that tells me roughly what I might be entitled too?

Thanks.

Under the new rules you will have to have made a minimum of 10 years worth of contributions in order to qualify for a state pension allowance. The maximum pension payable requires a minimum of 35 years of contributions. The proposed maximum unified pension is currently estimated to be around £7,500 per annum although this depends on the nature of your national insurance contributions. For many state and local authority employees viz. armed forces, civil servants, police, firemen, teachers etc., the pension will be reduced since their contributions were made at a lower rate. The estimated maximum pension for them is currently in the order of £6,500 per annum. If you have not been able to attain the maximum pension through 35 years contributions then you will receive a proportion dependent upon the number of years contributions you have made. You may be able to buy extra years but this will depend on several factors and be subject to a defined limit - you would need to write to the DWP for a definitive response.

2. The info was first hand when given to me. I can't post specifics for a number of reasons, inc them currently being in UK.

They have to pay back what? Income tax underpaid? Basic pension increases? Specifics would help clear this up wink.png

As would a suitably worded FoI request.

No it would not,you have already concluded the FoI only answer extremely generalised questions, and yes they do,so why throw a red herring into the pot that has no relevance.

The rumour mill is devastating,"the pension people" you mean the DWP. so it could be credits(more likely) anything connected to segment 1 of the benefits bill which is sanctionable,segment 2 which is non-sanctionable where the OAP is states categorically that no reduction no stoppage no nothing,it has to be paid to the intended in full.

Now I realise this thread is made up by the majority of frozen pensioners,or going to me, and it gives cold comfort to fellow bed fellows

• Like 1

No it would not,you have already concluded the FoI only answer extremely generalised questions, and yes they do,so why throw a red herring into the pot that has no relevance.

The rumour mill is devastating,"the pension people" you mean the DWP. so it could be credits(more likely) anything connected to segment 1 of the benefits bill which is sanctionable,segment 2 which is non-sanctionable where the OAP is states categorically that no reduction no stoppage no nothing,it has to be paid to the intended in full.

Now I realise this thread is made up by the majority of frozen pensioners,or going to me, and it gives cold comfort to fellow bed fellows

Thanks for a glimmer of sanity/clarity in this matter. Are there links to the references for the "sanctionable" and "non-sanctionable" elements?

Edited by jpinx

As a general rule I only post when I know what i'm talking about and know or believe my answer to be factually correct. A FoI request listing say the top 5 countries & offering a date window that keeps it within their parameters (£, hours) will show how many have been caught and what happened to them, answering the post to which I replied.

This may come as a surprize, but some of us are a decade or more from pensionable age & want it sorted long before we get there.

I do not know what exactly you are referring to,but if is actually the OAP you are incorrect

For people who are experiencing anxiety regarding having no pension and being destitute if they return to UK.

Once you return to the UK notify DWP you are back and just give them your details, they are helpful.

As far as living on nothing it's not going to happen, you won't be destitute.

I have just done a fictional calculation on Turn to Us which anyone can do by putting in fictional birth dates etc.

The one I just did was based on a 70 year old man with a pension of just 10 pounds a month paying private rent of 550 a month

This is the result

• Guarantee Pension Credit 137.75 per week
  • Housing Benefit 104 a week (different area are capped at different amounts)
  • State Pension increased to just 13.95 a week

Total benefits per week 255.70 x 52 weeks divided by 12 months = 1108 pounds per calendar month

Everyone's mileage varies, but the bottom line is that if you are a British Citizen who has reached pension age then you are entitled to a minimum amount to live on. You might not live in luxury, but even if you live with say children, you won't get housing benefit but you will get Guarantee Pension Credit and a slight increase in the actual pension.

Don't be frightened by the scaremongers on the is site!!

Don't take my word for it do your own calculation here........ http://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

• Like 2

OZ - Don't be silly, this is 2015 and GBP 1,105 a month for total income of a 70 year old person who doesn't own a home in the UK is fantasy.

Am happy however to be proved wrong, as long as it is set out in detail.

Edited by chiang mai

Also Habitual residence is not written in stone, I spoke the head of a council recently and she told me the average is two months, the longest three months and it can be as quick as just a few days.

As Lord Chief Justice Roberts said;

1. The danger of overemphasising viability is this. A claimant needs to establish habitual residence in order to claim an income-related benefit. A claim would not be necessary if the claimant has a guaranteed source of funds sufficient for survival. The danger is that the only claimants who can establish habitual residence will be those who have sufficient access to funds not to need it. That cannot be right. Habitual residence is a test of entitlement, not a bar to entitlement. It must be applied in a way that allows for the possibility of a claimant establishing both habitual residence and an entitlement to income support.

For people who are experiencing anxiety regarding having no pension and being destitute if they return to UK.

Once you return to the UK notify DWP you are back and just give them your details, they are helpful.

I have just done a fictional calculation on Turn to Us which anyone can do by putting in fictional birth dates etc.

The one I just did was based on a 70 year old man with a pension of just 10 pounds a month paying private rent of 550 a month

This is the result

Total benefits per week 255.70 x 52 weeks divided by 12 months = 1108 pounds per calendar month

Everyone's mileage varies, but the bottom line is that if you are a British Citizen who has reached pension age then you are entitled to a minimum amount to live on. You might not live in luxury, but even if you live with say children, you won't get housing benefit but you will get Guarantee Pension Credit and a slight increase in the actual pension.

Don't take my word for it do your own calculation here........ http://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Never a bloody truer word,Self Apponted- self annointed Mr Public Announcer will be along shortly to announce erm another load of total crap

OZ - Don't be silly, this is 2015 and GBP 1,105 a month for total income of a 70 year old person who doesn't own a home in the UK is fantasy.

Am happy however to be proved wrong, as long as it is set out in detail.

Thats OK You are not usually right but unfortunately..you are...wrong again

This is the result

I can't recall this scare ever being mongered biggrin.png

This is the result

I can't recall this scare ever being mongered biggrin.png

No but there are mongers doing a bit of scaring

• Like 1

Has anybody successfully claimed the appropriate rate when they've visited the UK, the EU or any other country that uprates pensions?

yes every time I go back to the UK I phone them up, give the date I arrived and the date of my departing flight.
  • Like 2

So it now appears that, despite having 35-years' NI-contributions & despite politicians' previous statements to the contrary, many future recipients will still find that they don't get the full GBP 151.25-per-week government pension after all. wink.png

Why am I not surprised, by this back-tracking ? bah.gif

If I hadn't already left-for-good, this sort of lying deceitful treatment of its citizens by the UK-government, would strongly encourage me to go now, rather than continue to rely upon their ever keeping their previous assurances.

@ Seekingasylum

For many state and local authority employees viz. armed forces, civil servants, police, firemen, teachers etc., the pension will be reduced since their contributions were made at a lower rate. The estimated maximum pension for them is currently in the order of £6,500 per annum

Do you have a link to this ?

I am not convinced that members of the Armed Forces paid a reduced rate in NI contributions. I can easily check as I still have pay statements back in the UK.

Any other ex-Forces member, have any recollection of reduced rates of NI ?