UK pensions

I finally received a reply from my MP a couple of days ago. She is a newbie and so has to toe the party line.

Thank you for contacting me again.

I apologise that on this occasion we do not agree, but I hope that you can see the reasoning behind this. In a time where pressure on the welfare system is already too high it would not be right to make the changes that you suggest, which would cost the public purse hundreds of millions of pounds.

If the matter arises throughout the course of this parliament I will be sure to keep your comments in mind.

Kind regards

I shall be replying to her explaining that as an expat I am saving the country money by not using any of the overworked health facilities, dental treatment, free TV licence, bus pass etc> Also I do not receive child benefit for my 12 year old son. In addition I am also still paying income tax and have been since I was 15 years old.

I shall also carefully point out that MPs expenses are now running at over £107,000,000 per year for ONLY 650 people. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-34200969

I shall also point out that an MPs salary is now £67,000 pa yet as a pensioner my pension including a carer allowance is a little over £8,000 and if the carer allowance is removed it is a little over £5,000.

Does anyone have any good suggestions that I can add to my reply to her?

Cheers

Bill

• Like 2

Billd766.

in your response to the jobsworth M.P.you could also point out that you are or perhaps I could say ''we'' are not nor are some rag tag ''refugee'' who is seeking to suck whatever benefits out of a system to which they have contributed nothing to nor ever will while we who paid our way are being penalised for our efforts.

Has anyone actually contacted the pensions people and received a future state pensions forecast?

I phoned them last November and was assured that a statement would be sent to the address in UK I gave them.

Still waiting.

Sent the form from Thailand giving my Thai address 5 weeks ago.

Still waiting.

Do they actually respond or is it all BS?

Thinking of sending them 10 applications every month until I actually get a reply.

I had one a few years back, if I remember right it took about 10 weeks to come through.

10 weeks! How long does it take to look up the database and send a letter?

I don't know why they can't tell you over the phone or send an E Mail.

I have had dealings with the U.K. State Pension fund authorities and I must say the professional advice, the service received the phone calls to me here in Thailand were indeed indicative of a first class service, as were the results.

Mail service both electronic and hard copy were also first class in their operation.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually contacted the pensions people and received a future state pensions forecast?

I phoned them last November and was assured that a statement would be sent to the address in UK I gave them.

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

Thinking of sending them 10 applications every month until I actually get a reply.

I had one a few years back, if I remember right it took about 10 weeks to come through.

10 weeks! How long does it take to look up the database and send a letter?

I don't know why they can't tell you over the phone or send an E Mail.

This article might explain the delay in producing forecasts.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2947974/Baffling-state-pension-forecasts-finally-scrapped-replaced-confusing.html

I finally received a reply from my MP a couple of days ago. She is a newbie and so has to toe the party line.

I apologise that on this occasion we do not agree, but I hope that you can see the reasoning behind this. In a time where pressure on the welfare system is already too high it would not be right to make the changes that you suggest, which would cost the public purse hundreds of millions of pounds.

If the matter arises throughout the course of this parliament I will be sure to keep your comments in mind.

Kind regards

I shall be replying to her explaining that as an expat I am saving the country money by not using any of the overworked health facilities, dental treatment, free TV licence, bus pass etc> Also I do not receive child benefit for my 12 year old son. In addition I am also still paying income tax and have been since I was 15 years old.

I shall also carefully point out that MPs expenses are now running at over £107,000,000 per year for ONLY 650 people. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-34200969

I shall also point out that an MPs salary is now £67,000 pa yet as a pensioner my pension including a carer allowance is a little over £8,000 and if the carer allowance is removed it is a little over £5,000.

Cheers

Bill

you could point out nobody is asking for back pay just for the matter to be put right, and as with us now having to pay for any NHS treatment maybe she can arrange a deal, we will leave it all as it is but stop taking our tax.

Kind regards

Cheers

Bill

Welfare: Something for nothing

Entitlement: Something to which we have paid.

HMG are deliberately muddying the waters...again!

The above should be repeatedly highlighted in any inbound communication or press release. Furthermore the refugee crisis is their mess & should not be levied in our direction.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

just a question for folk that have just started there pension

Do they send anything to you ? before you receive your pension..

[as stated in the pack, send 4 months before claiming] I sent the pack off over 4 weeks ago, they signed for receiving the Pension pack 4 weeks ago yesterday, just wondered if you hear anything from them ?

[as stated in the pack, send 4 months before claiming] I sent the pack off over 4 weeks ago, they signed for receiving the Pension pack 4 weeks ago yesterday, just wondered if you hear anything from them ?

I got a letter stating what I will be paid per month from them........

Yes, as transam posted you get a letter with the breakdown of you pension. My letter, about 3 years ago, came 9 weeks before my pension started, application made from Thailand. My brother who is also expat but in Canada did not get his letter until just before his pension in Jan this year.

He had smoke coming out his ears, convinced that the pension was going to be late.

Yes, as transam posted you get a letter with the breakdown of you pension. My letter, about 3 years ago, came 9 weeks before my pension started, application made from Thailand. My brother who is also expat but in Canada did not get his letter until just before his pension in Jan this year.

He had smoke coming out his ears, convinced that the pension was going to be late.

Many thanks. so in a couple of months maybe get a letter

You might like to have a look at an interactive map currently in the Independent, it shows each country in the world, you choose a country and see how many people migrated into it and out of it.

According to the figures there are 500,000 Polish and Indian in the UK, nearly that figure from Pakistan and surprisingly to me 300,000 Germans. Somalia 110,000. As far as Thailand is concerned there are 8544 of us here whilst there are 31224 Thais in the UK, they really should get that reciprical argreement!

• Like 1

Anyone who writes to their MP that comes back with "The UK can't afford to pay you", should reply,

" If those pensioners on your NO list of countries to not get their full upgrades were to move to countries on your YES list, you would pay them, fact, you would find the money, same as you find the money to finance migrants who have never had any financial connection with the UK. Plus, you find zillions of pounds to send to other countries in aid that have no financial connection with the UK, yet you find it easy to hit retired folk who spent a working lifetime contributing to the UK coffers"......

So very,very true.

• Like 2

Anyone who writes to their MP that comes back with "The UK can't afford to pay you", should reply,

" If those pensioners on your NO list of countries to not get their full upgrades were to move to countries on your YES list, you would pay them, fact, you would find the money, same as you find the money to finance migrants who have never had any financial connection with the UK. Plus, you find zillions of pounds to send to other countries in aid that have no financial connection with the UK, yet you find it easy to hit retired folk who spent a working lifetime contributing to the UK coffers"......

They call it 'Robin in the Hood'.

• Like 1

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

Phone 'em...I did and talked to a nice guy........

They are all nice on the phone but did you actually receive a forecast?

looks impossible to me.

OK my forecast turned up today. Sort of the amount I was expecting, but could have done without the opt out deduction.

I vaguely remember doing something years ago but the memory fades.sad.png

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

Phone 'em...I did and talked to a nice guy........

They are all nice on the phone but did you actually receive a forecast?

looks impossible to me.

OK my forecast turned up today. Sort of the amount I was expecting, but could have done without the opt out deduction.

If you opted out like I did, you must have a nice little nest egg paid by the HM GOV sitting in some fund you have.

My opt out contribution payments were just over £30,000, so I went for the 25% tax free and a little bit every year, I think now you can take it all in one lump sum, but the catch is 25% income tax, but this can be claimed back, depending on what income tax allowance you have in the UK.

If you opted out like I did, you must have a nice little nest egg paid by the HM GOV sitting in some fund you have.

My opt out contribution payments were just over £30,000, so I went for the 25% tax free and a little bit every year, I think now you can take it all in one lump sum, but the catch is 25% income tax, but this can be claimed back, depending on what income tax allowance you have in the UK.

Too far back to remember and did not really understand it at the time. I think it was a year or two before being made redundant and then going self employed.

The deduction from my Pension forecast is £12 a week.

Will just have to wait and see what turns up November next year when I am 65.

All my official stuff goes to my Son's address in UK.

Too far back to remember and did not really understand it at the time. I think it was a year or two before being made redundant and then going self employed.

Defo worth checking out. If you dont have the opt out details there are companies that look for them, google it.

rijit

When you contracted out your additional pension contributions would have been paid into another scheme. You really need to track that down.

"Until 1988 people could only contract out if they were members of a defined benefit (DB) occupational pension scheme. In 1988 the government extended this to defined contribution (DC) or money purchase occupational schemes and personal pensions. It gave incentives to encourage people to leave the state earnings-related pension scheme (SERPS). For the first five years of the scheme, the government paid in an extra 2% of your earnings into your personal pension. By 1992 over 5 million had left SERPS for a personal pension."

http://www.which.co.uk/money/retirement/guides/contracting-out-of-state-second-pension-s2p/what-contracting-out-means/

Yup, can get a nice apartment in Cyprus for 250 Euro's a month and an unfrozen pension as it's in the EU

• Like 2

Yup, can get a nice apartment in Cyprus for 250 Euro's a month and an unfrozen pension as it's in the EU

I make that EUR 25 each if ten of us shared....................

Regarding Lite Beer and his pension situation.

The link below may well prove helpful.

A buddy had a similar situation contacted the department and within three weeks he was furnished with all the details needed to contact the pension fund/provider.

The result, within some eight weeks from point of his contact with the forgotten fund there was an increase in his monthly income of around some 25,000 baht at the then rate of exchange plus a lump sum .

https://www.gov.uk/find-lost-pension
  • Like 1