UK pensions

mrmazinkle

You can be sure and no doubt we will be surprised when it happens that when we leave the EU club there will be some sort of "exit fee" like with Insurance companies, how this will all turn out for us pensioners is an open question.

Where do you get this idea from,please explain.

I cannot believe the EU will just let us walk away, my guess is that the amount we have to contribute will be on going for a few years, something that we never knew about because no one thought we would ever leave, I just wait for the revelation to brought to our attention. I hope I am wrong but they are slippery bunch in Brussels, like Moulles that have gone off!

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can be sure and no doubt we will be surprised when it happens that when we leave the EU club there will be some sort of "exit fee" like with Insurance companies, how this will all turn out for us pensioners is an open question.

I cannot believe the EU will just let us walk away, my guess is that the amount we have to contribute will be on going for a few years, something that we never knew about because no one thought we would ever leave, I just wait for the revelation to brought to our attention. I hope I am wrong but they are slippery bunch in Brussels, like Moulles that have gone off!

I would tend to agree and I think the technicalities of the vote have been deliberately kept vague.

The UK is a member of the EU(28 members), the EC(12 members) and the EEA(31 members). Does a vote to leave the EU automatically mean a vote to leave the EC and the EEA?

What would be the implications of leaving the EU and remaining in the EC and EEA?

I would tend to agree and I think the technicalities of the vote have been deliberately kept vague.

The UK is a member of the EU(28 members), the EC(12 members) and the EEA(31 members). Does a vote to leave the EU automatically mean a vote to leave the EC and the EEA?

What would be the implications of leaving the EU and remaining in the EC and EEA?

It poses an interesting conundrum. I believe an exit would take us out of the EU and the EC. We could remain in the EEA if the existing members of EFTA agreed to allow us to rejoin that organisation.

More significantly, we would still be subject to the rulings of the European Court of Justice as this originates not from our membership of the EU but from our membership of the Councilor Europe, itself originating in about 1950.

I can see a lot of confused voters but I would still vote to leave, too many things we are not privy to and you just wonder what comes next.

WHAT COMES NEXt. This is something anyone who may be thinking of voting to stay in should consider. In 1975 the electorate was told that the EU was primarily a trading block,when in fact it's turned out to be something very different.

I can see a lot of confused voters but I would still vote to leave, too many things we are not privy to and you just wonder what comes next.

WHAT COMES NEXt. This is something anyone who may be thinking of voting to stay in should consider. In 1975 the electorate was told that the EU was primarily a trading block,when in fact it's turned out to be something very different.

i followed a few off topic posts, so to be a good boy i edited my post. this thread has been off topic enough

If the UK leaves the EU it is almost certain that the pound will take a significant hit value wise. Unlike frozen pensions, no pension will be safe and pensioners and expats alike could end up returning to the UK in droves.

It would make an interesting poll. What exchange rate would send you back?

If the UK leaves the EU it is almost certain that the pound will take a significant hit value wise. Unlike frozen pensions, no pension will be safe and pensioners and expats alike could end up returning to the UK in droves.

Why would an exit poll result in a hit to the pound? Remember when they tried to tell us that if we din't accept the Euro,the sky would fall in.

Why would an exit poll result in a hit to the pound? Remember when they tried to tell us that if we din't accept the Euro,the sky would fall in.

Because all the foreign companies which located their European factories in the UK, in order to be inside the EEC's trade-barriers, would have to move them over to mainland Europe instead ?

Because Brits would find it harder to work overseas, in Europe at least, and send money home ?

But I do agree that the hit would come sooner, it wouldn't need to wait until the exit-poll, the mere threat of a Brexit would affect the Pound, indeed may already be doing so now.

I'm not sure I fully agree with that scenario, there's a field of thought that suggests The Euro project would fail without the UK's membership and that it would only be a matter of time before total collapse. The Pound could therefore be seen as a safe haven, bringing with it a series of new problems for the UK economy such as increased interest rates at a time when debt levels are sky high. Which ever way you look at the outcome it's all very much what if, loads of guesswork.

Because all the foreign companies which located their European factories in the UK, in order to be inside the EEC's trade-barriers, would have to move them over to mainland Europe instead ?

Because Brits would find it harder to work overseas, in Europe at least, and send money home ?

But I do agree that the hit would come sooner, it wouldn't need to wait until the exit-poll, the mere threat of a Brexit would affect the Pound, indeed may already be doing so now.

Better to NOT take notice of all the scare stories that are now appearing. Many of these companies eg Nissen have stated that it will not make the slightest difference. Better to remember that the UK purchases £61 million more from the continent than they buy from us. Think positive,an exit would allow for the UK to make independent trading agreements with the rest of the world.

An exit could also provide more work for those ex-pat British workers,instead of cheaper imported Labour which only benefits the large companies.

Better to NOT take notice of all the scare stories that are now appearing. Many of these companies eg Nissen have stated that it will not make the slightest difference. Better to remember that the UK purchases £61 million more from the continent than they buy from us. Think positive,an exit would allow for the UK to make independent trading agreements with the rest of the world.

An exit could also provide more work for those ex-pat British workers,instead of cheaper imported Labour which only benefits the large companies.

That is one opinion, the other is that the rest of the world could perceive the UK as acting like a spoiled child with the inability to work with trading partners and neighbours.

About 8 percent decline in the exchange rate over the last 6 months.

I was reading an economist the other day and he said that after an initial drop the pound would strengthen

I was reading an economist the other day and he said that after an initial drop the pound would strengthen

The truth is that even the so called experts haven't a clue what will happen. Do you recall 1999 and the misery that was going to overtake us in the year 2000 as a result of the milenium bug. The clock passed 12 o'clock and nothing happened.

That is one opinion, the other is that the rest of the world could perceive the UK as acting like a spoiled child with the inability to work with trading partners and neighbours.

HSBC Europe's biggest bank was thinking of re-locating its headquarters from the UK to China, as they were concerned about future EU regulations. However they have now decided,probable after taking into consideration a Britexit, that it is better to remain in the UK,therefor securing thousands of jobs.

I would also expect the rest of the world to make their decisions in the best interest of their own economy, this would probably entail taking advantage of any trading opportunities.

So there has been a drop in the exchange rate because Britain may leave the EU, resulting in

1/ The UK not having to pay the EU £55 million a day to an organisation that has not completed an audit in 20 yrs.

2/The UK making trade deals with the rest of the world.

3/ The UK taking back control of its own laws.

4/ The UK ability to control its own boarders, therefor making the UK safer and more stable.

Perhaps there are other reasons why the £ has depreciated against the $.

Why would anyone believe the drivel of an economist? 95% of them are >80% of the time completely wrong.

The truth is that even the so called experts haven't a clue what will happen. Do you recall 1999 and the misery that was going to overtake us in the year 2000 as a result of the milenium bug. The clock passed 12 o'clock and nothing happened.

Unfortunately not true the longest day of my life 56 hours to recover a crashed system

So there has been a drop in the exchange rate because Britain may leave the EU, resulting in

1/ The UK not having to pay the EU £55 million a day to an organisation that has not completed an audit in 20 yrs.

4/ The UK ability to control its own boarders, therefor making the UK safer and more stable.

I answered about your 55mil/day in an earlier post. Seems it was removed for some unknown reason. OK I will approach it from a different angle. I suggest your figure is way way overblown and I urge you to research properly before posting.

Den

Philip Hammond has now suggested that should the UK pull out of the Eu there would be "consequences" he then suggested that the EU would not want us to succeed outside and do what what was required to achieve their goal and destroy our future. Who would want to be associated with people like that? Just makes me more convinced we should leave. The EU cannot afford to let us leave, think about those words for a moment. Our money input, our influence, military and innovations, if Greece gave them a cold we would cause their death.

We have survived well on our own for a long time whilst the rest of Europe has done very little in comparison, just look at the history of world trade over the centuries, it was us the French, Netherlands and the Spanish and who was the most successful, Not Belgium, Italy etc then? We can survive, it will be a challenge but we should go before the EU project falls down and takes us with it.

A lot of companies, foreign companies have said they will stay in the UK if we leave, why would they move if they are successful in the UK? They are making good quality products that the world wants and without the meddling Brussels sprouts why would more not want to come, who knows in the n ew world, with new wealth maybe we might even get our frozen increases re instated.

I answered about your 55mil/day in an earlier post. Seems it was removed for some unknown reason. OK I will approach it from a different angle. I suggest your figure is way way overblown and I urge you to research properly before posting.

Den

OK so what's your figures?

HSBC Europe's biggest bank was thinking of re-locating its headquarters from the UK to China, as they were concerned about future EU regulations. However they have now decided,probable after taking into consideration a Britexit, that it is better to remain in the UK,therefor securing thousands of jobs.

I would also expect the rest of the world to make their decisions in the best interest of their own economy, this would probably entail taking advantage of any trading opportunities.

That decision by HSBC is something that the voters in the UK should take very seriously. After very serious consideration the outcome was based on 'better the devil you know'.

You cannot say that nothing happened.

I wouldn't disagree that the whole thing was blown out of proportion and that was down to the legal profession.

At that time I was employed by a company that was part of a group to handle the year 2K issues. I was then asked to survey other companies within the group and was invited to go with all the MD's to a seminar on the subject. This seminar did nothing to address the issues, purely concerned with how to avoid litigation, and the delegates paid £500 each to attend.

Some companies made changes and avoided the problems, others did nothing and suffered.

Archived