UK pensions

mrmazinkle

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only worked in England for 6 years.. Any chance of a few pennies at my full retirement age now?

You should still get something providing you reach retirement age before the 6th April 2016. It will be a modest amount, as it will be an amount proportional to your years of contribution.

well.. As luck would have it.. I believe my birth year of 1951 makes me eligible this year.. 65 on July 24 uups. So close! Right?

I only worked in England for 6 years.. Any chance of a few pennies at my full retirement age now?

You should still get something providing you reach retirement age before the 6th April 2016. It will be a modest amount, as it will be an amount proportional to your years of contribution.

well.. As luck would have it.. I believe my birth year of 1951 makes me eligible this year.. 65 on July 24 uups. So close! Right?

You should contact them IMO, since on the face of it you can back-pay up-to-6-years, and you only need 4 extra years to reach the 10-year minimum, to qualify at least for a partial-pension from July ?

Good Luck !

Regrettably it sounds like tough luck rather than good luck.

I'm going back to the UK for a holiday. first time for years so want to contact someone and find out how many years I need to pay back.

Does anyone know if a phone call is the best way to start proceedings?

Also I have been an English teacher for 30 years, is there any way I can get off paying the voluntary contributions B I think they're called for being self-employed?

Cheers

1. Assuming this isn't a troll post and you want to come clean why not tell them you're leaving for the first time on the date that you're coming back?

2. As far as I'm aware the rules for the self employed rate (Class 2 or 3, whichever was cheaper) are or have been re written therefore you'll need to ask HMRC.

Assuming you're going senile, what exactly do you mean?

Come clean about what? I've done nothing wrong. I've paid about 10 years into the system, assuming my university days count and been working here ever since without paying a penny into it.

I have 17 years more to pay so want to start paying now. Then If I pay back 3 years I'll get the full pension, if there is one in 17 years, wont I?

My apologies but this thread is too long to read all of it.

As stated in the post above you need 35 years for the full pension and you can only back pay up to six years. However you probably will be able to add a couple of years to your 17 years before retirement when the government push out the retirement age.

Den

B@stards eh. So they changed it from 30 to 35, thanks I didn't know that.

You need 10 years of contributions to receive anything under the new regulations that start in April.

OK! Thx Eclipse. One less thing "to do " smile.png

I wish I had started paying the voluntary contributions in my 20s I'd have paid the full amount(35 years) by now.

Time goes faster than you think son!

The full new State Pension will be £155.65 per week.

Your National Insurance record is used to calculate your new State Pension.

You’ll usually need 10 qualifying years to get any new State Pension.

The amount you get can be higher or lower depending on your National Insurance record. It will only be higher if you have over a certain amount of Additional State Pension.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/overview

When you posed the question were you thinking of the basic state pension with all the add one I.e. Serps,SP2,Graduated pension ?

I've just researched it on the internet. The maximum state pension payable including all the add ons, in the year 2015/16, would be £275.95.

Interesting -- maybe we're not getting such a bad deal after all smile.png What "add-ons" did you find? - bearing in mind that Thailand based pensioners don't get all of them.

I see this Boris (forget his second name) is favourite to succeed "call me Dave" as the PM.

If he does, what would be the chances of him doing something about the withholding of pensioners annual increases?

I'm going back to the UK for a holiday. first time for years so want to contact someone and find out how many years I need to pay back.

This from post 1801 at the top of the page lead me to believe that the poster was already in receipt of state pension using a UK address, hence my reply.

Does anyone know if a phone call is the best way to start proceedings?

Also I have been an English teacher for 30 years, is there any way I can get off paying the voluntary contributions B I think they're called for being self-employed?

Cheers

1. Assuming this isn't a troll post and you want to come clean why not tell them you're leaving for the first time on the date that you're coming back?

2. As far as I'm aware the rules for the self employed rate (Class 2 or 3, whichever was cheaper) are or have been re written therefore you'll need to ask HMRC.

Assuming you're going senile, what exactly do you mean?

Come clean about what? I've done nothing wrong. I've paid about 10 years into the system, assuming my university days count and been working here ever since without paying a penny into it.

I have 17 years more to pay so want to start paying now. Then If I pay back 3 years I'll get the full pension, if there is one in 17 years, wont I?

My apologies but this thread is too long to read all of it.

As stated in the post above you need 35 years for the full pension and you can only back pay up to six years. However you probably will be able to add a couple of years to your 17 years before retirement when the government push out the retirement age.

Den

B@stards eh. So they changed it from 30 to 35, thanks I didn't know that.

Don't be to upset,there are many on this thread,who have paid NI for 44yrs plus.yet they are still on a frozen pension. I think I recently read the case of a very old lady who is in receipt of a staggering frozen pension of £4 a week.

I wonder how much a gin and tonic cost at the members bar in Westminster.

You need 35 years of contributions as of April 2016 to receive the full State Pension.

Years for pension. 35 for the higher rate

If you reach State Pension age before 6 April 2016, you’ll get the State Pension under the current scheme.

30 qualifying years.

The new State Pension will be a regular payment from the government that you can claim if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016.

Your National Insurance record is used to calculate your new State Pension.

You’ll usually need 10 qualifying years to get any new State Pension.

You’ll need 35 qualifying years to get the full new State Pension.

You’ll get a proportion of the new State Pension if you have between 10 and 35 qualifying years.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated

Ah yes, if.org.uk and their message of intergenerational strife bolstered by the ficticious idea that the nation's pension liabilities are a lump sum.

But as you point out, the state pension is a money flow, near constant fixed charge on the nation's income (which is by no means eclusivley earned by the young) for taking care of our old.

While of course turning a blind eye to the elephant in the room, the rapidly increasing concentration of wealth in the hands of the top 2% of individuals and the vast weakth of corporations that pay next to zero tax.

BTW - I am persistently reporting offtopic postings about currency rates, etc - go and start your own thread tongue.png

I must have misunderstood, didn't realise it was about people in the UK receiving a pension, or is it about people who do not get a pension but need to be heard.

If however, the thread had anything to do with people living in Thailand on a UK pension then currency value is a significant factor.

With the recent decline my pension will no longer support a retirement extension. If there is no improvement by July I shall be coming back on a state pension non O.

The two things that are important with pensions are annual increases whether state or private and the exchange rate and right now the exchange rate is a worry. Its been falling slowly all year but the fall increased about a week ago due the culmination of the Referendum EU best offer. Now we are in a period of uncertainty for about 4 months. Should there be a win for the IN group the exchange rate should then start and recover, if its an OUT win then for the short term the exchange will not be much better than at present, we are not talking insignificant amounts here, pensioners need to keep their eye on the rate and anyone who does see the full picture is deluding themselves. I always thought a rate of over 50 to the £ was good, its been over 50 for about a year, nice little bonus for us, today it has dropped to 49.3 its anyones guess how much further it may fall but its less money in your pocket.

In the money mail today www.thisismoney.co.uk Steve Webb, remember him? Is answering a question about deferal of the State pension worth a look.

Apologies to Sandy if he took that personally - not my intention. ;) Now that we're going through yet another pantomime of politics with UK/EU the rates are certainly worth noting, but we have no chance to influence them, On the other hand - we have a good chance of changing the iniquitous way expat pensioners are dealt with.

Apologies to Sandy if he took that personally - not my intention. wink.png Now that we're going through yet another pantomime of politics with UK/EU the rates are certainly worth noting, but we have no chance to influence them, On the other hand - we have a good chance of changing the iniquitous way expat pensioners are dealt with.

How exactly will we have a good chance of changing the way that expat pensioners are dealt with ?

If you look back through this thread there have been many postings about how to contact MPs and pressure groups who are trying hard to get equal treatment. This is not Thailand-specific, expat pensioners in many other countries have a similar problem.

The two things that are important with pensions are annual increases whether state or private and the exchange rate and right now the exchange rate is a worry. Its been falling slowly all year but the fall increased about a week ago due the culmination of the Referendum EU best offer. Now we are in a period of uncertainty for about 4 months. Should there be a win for the IN group the exchange rate should then start and recover, if its an OUT win then for the short term the exchange will not be much better than at present, we are not talking insignificant amounts here, pensioners need to keep their eye on the rate and anyone who does see the full picture is deluding themselves. I always thought a rate of over 50 to the £ was good, its been over 50 for about a year, nice little bonus for us, today it has dropped to 49.3 its anyones guess how much further it may fall but its less money in your pocket.

In the money mail today www.thisismoney.co.uk Steve Webb, remember him? Is answering a question about deferal of the State pension worth a look.

Not sure a win for the IN group will lead to a recovery of the £. Same goes if the OUT wins, it's all speculation,with the only sure winners being the professional currency speculators. Expect the markets to find the correct level after the referendum, until then we're going to have a few months of uncertainty. On top of this for those in Thailand, where is the Bht going, again anyone's guess.

The government has appointed new bosses at the UK tax authority HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Jon Thompson has been appointed chief executive; he is currently Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Defence.

Edward Troup, who has been responsible for tax policy and strategy and also oversees large tax settlements at HMRC, becomes its executive chair.

HMRC has recently attracted criticism from MPs. The current chief executive Dame Lin Homer steps down in April.

'Bad' service

Last November, MPs on the Public Accounts Committee issued a critical report, arguing HMRC must do more to ensure all tax is paid.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35655736

Does ensuring that all tax is paid apply to large American internationals like Google and Starbucks?

The French seem to have a better handle on that game,,,, Things like the expat increases are just a pimple on the elephants bum when you look at the whole tax income....

<snip>

I thought we'd already determined that deferring the state pension wasn't worth it or has the situation changed?:

If you defer for just one year, that works out at £410 extra annually. If you live for 24 and a half years - an average of the life expectancy of men and women - after starting to draw your state pension you will accrue an extra £10,100.

This income-boosting perk only applies to people who either have already or will hit state pension age before April 2016 - for anyone younger the rewards become much less generous, as the annual top-up falls to 5.8 per cent.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-3118567/Delaying-state-pension-just-year-net-10k.html

410 extra? You just lost 6,000 by not taking it. How long to recoup that 6,000 at 410 per year? 14 years?

165064_128427217220473_1825598_n.jpg?oh=
The International Consortium of British Pensioners (ICBP)

Dame Floella had tabled a written question in the House of Lords a couple of weeks ago. You can see the answer given by Baroness Altmann (the pension minister), and the follow up questions by several peers. There was strong support for us from these peers, and the pensions minister was particularly weak in her answers.

Our primary purpose for this question was to make it publically visible that we are waiting on response from the Government to the study on costs and benefits of uprating, which they had committed to.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201516/ldhansrd/text/160224-0001.htm#st_0

Looks like this weasily woman is going the same way as her predecessor.
Trotting out the same old garbage while refusing to answer questions.
If I hear this well rehersed line again I think I will scream.

My Lords, the Government have a clear position which has remained consistent for around 70 years: UK state pensions are payable worldwide and uprated abroad only where we have a legal requirement to do so.

What about a moral requirement to do so?

My Lords, the Government have a clear position which has remained consistent for around 70 years: UK state pensions are payable worldwide and uprated abroad only where we have a legal requirement to do so.

I think you are a little confused.

Q. What do morals and a moral standard have in common with politicians?

A. SFA.

I think you are a little confused.

Q. What do morals and a moral standard have in common with politicians?

A. SFA.

Yep. My mistake. facepalm.gif

"UK state pensions are payable worldwide and uprated abroad only where we have a legal requirement to do so."

So she's telling the House, if your UK state pension is payable in the UK, it will be uprated even although you're resident in Thailand ?

Simple solution then, get it paid initially into a UK bank-account, and then demand the annual inflation increases, quoting the Minister's own words ! facepalm.gif

If only it were that simple. wink.png

Archived