UK pensions

^^ and there Is absolutely no chance in hell.of that happening. Ide say get prepared for a 35 bht to the pound.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think that wishful thinking we shall it at 27 baht to a Pound very soon

crazy.gif

Some time ago I researched the maximum weekly pension achievable from the state including the basic pension, graduated pension and SERPS ( syn:SP2 and Second State Pension).

The figure came to just a touch short of £270/week. I suspect that the number who get this amount would be very few.

My state pension is about 1/3 of that even having paid contributions for 44 years.

Because you never paid any extras.

My father, who died a couple of months ago, was an accountant and ended getting 250 pounds a week from his state pension by paying an additional amount, which my mother is now getting the benefit of.

I was just about to pay back up to 10 years of class2 contributions if possible.

I am Scottish, would it be wise to wait to see if Scotland becomes independent? Would that affect my pension considerably?

1. You can only back pay up to 6 years.

2. Class 2 NI contributions is being phased out soon and you will have to pay the more expensive class 3 so get in there now.

3. It is very well worth it even if you are forced to pay the class 3 for any future contributions.

4. I fully believe that the new Scottish government (if it happens) would meet your obligations and you would not lose out.

So basically I would go for it if I were you

Den

I paid back 10 years recently. and I was born in 1962.

Some time ago I researched the maximum weekly pension achievable from the state including the basic pension, graduated pension and SERPS ( syn:SP2 and Second State Pension).

The figure came to just a touch short of £270/week. I suspect that the number who get this amount would be very few.

My state pension is about 1/3 of that even having paid contributions for 44 years.

Quite possibly. The contribution record is only one of the factors necessary to achieve the maximum. The other factors would be the level of earnings throughout the record of employment and the absence of any contracted out periods of employment.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see how this pans out for UK pensioners living in the EU.

Would love to think that it would lead to fairer treatment everywhere but will probably lead to more UK Expat pensioners getting shafted...

"At the moment UK citizens who live in the European Economic Area (and Switzerland) have their state pensions protected - they're pegged to wage or price inflation.

Following the vote to leave, the UK government will have to decide whether this will continue or whether UK pensioners living in EU countries should be treated as they are if they retire to Canada, for example, where their pension is frozen.

At the moment, part of the reason that UK pensioners in the rest of the EU see their pension go up every year is because the principle of the single market is applied. That means pensions and other social security payments rise wherever you live. Because this agreement is a mutual arrangement between the UK and the rest of the EU, it is now likely to form part of the renegotiation process.

However, Tom Selby, senior analyst at AJ Bell, says: "While some believe the government will be able to negotiate protections for expat pensioners - it is worth noting the UK has not arranged a similar deal with a non-EU country since 1981."

He suggests Britons who have retired to Europe could see their state pensions curtailed by up to £50,000 if a pensions deal is not negotiated".

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36606847

Edited by JB300

Will be interesting to see how this pans out for UK pensioners living in the EU.

Would love to think that it would lead to fairer treatment everywhere but will probably lead to more UK Expat pensioners getting shafted...

"At the moment UK citizens who live in the European Economic Area (and Switzerland) have their state pensions protected - they're pegged to wage or price inflation.

Following the vote to leave, the UK government will have to decide whether this will continue or whether UK pensioners living in EU countries should be treated as they are if they retire to Canada, for example, where their pension is frozen.

At the moment, part of the reason that UK pensioners in the rest of the EU see their pension go up every year is because the principle of the single market is applied. That means pensions and other social security payments rise wherever you live. Because this agreement is a mutual arrangement between the UK and the rest of the EU, it is now likely to form part of the renegotiation process.

However, Tom Selby, senior analyst at AJ Bell, says: "While some believe the government will be able to negotiate protections for expat pensioners - it is worth noting the UK has not arranged a similar deal with a non-EU country since 1981."

He suggests Britons who have retired to Europe could see their state pensions curtailed by up to £50,000 if a pensions deal is not negotiated".

Probably result in those European pensioners being exempt from having their pensions frozen. Then the government( any government ) will state they are a special case. Anything except grants those thousands of pensioners in Australia,NewZealand,Thailand etc their entitlement based on Citizenship and there having paid into the system.

• Like 2

^^ and there Is absolutely no chance in hell.of that happening. Ide say get prepared for a 35 bht to the pound.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think that wishful thinking we shall it at 27 baht to a Pound very soon

Are you sure it won't be 26 or 28? whistling.gif

It will get rid of Brit Riff Raff if it falls a bit.[emoji467]

We have a popular saying ... "famous last words" !

Any leavers may be swamped in a tidal-wave of people quitting the UK for sunnier climes ! gigglem.gif

We used to dream of being called Riff Raff, when we were young ! laugh.png (with apologies to the Pythons)

I was just about to pay back up to 10 years of class2 contributions if possible.

I am Scottish, would it be wise to wait to see if Scotland becomes independent? Would that affect my pension considerably?

2. Class 2 NI contributions is being phased out soon and you will have to pay the more expensive class 3 so get in there now.

3. It is very well worth it even if you are forced to pay the class 3 for any future contributions.

4. I fully believe that the new Scottish government (if it happens) would meet your obligations and you would not lose out.

Den

Did that change recently? I was born in 1957 and was only allowed to back pay 6 years. I need to go back and investigate.

Thanks for the info.

Den

• Like 1

Den

Did that change recently? I was born in 1957 and was only allowed to back pay 6 years. I need to go back and investigate.

Thanks for the info.

Den

OK I checked and you are correct. The reason I was only able to back pay 6 years is because I initiated it in 2012. For our age group from the GOV website

"You’re a man born after 5 April 1951 or a woman born after 5 April 1953

You have until 5 April 2023 to pay voluntary contributions to make up for gaps between April 2006 and April 2016."

Den

• Like 1

Bill, you did more service time than I did so you were contracted out for a lot longer. You will be getting a lot more service pension than I do, you cannot consider the state pension in isolation.

• Like 1

Probably result in those European pensioners being exempt from having their pensions frozen. Then the government( any government ) will state they are a special case. Anything except grants those thousands of pensioners in Australia,NewZealand,Thailand etc their entitlement based on Citizenship and there having paid into the system.

Which is why the consortium need to up their game and why we need to support them.

Isn't it possible to move back to the UK for a few months...get your pension back in line then head back to Thailand?

Worth doing perhaps every few years...

While back in the UK you will get full pension with all entitlements but on moving back to Thailand your pension reverts to what it was on the initial claim.

Sorry they got you all ways.

:-(

I am going to Switzerland to see my Grandchildren for two or three months. My son told me that while in Switzerland I would be entitled to an unfrozen, full British pension? Has anyone had experience of this and how to go about it?

Isn't it possible to move back to the UK for a few months...get your pension back in line then head back to Thailand?

Worth doing perhaps every few years...

While back in the UK you will get full pension with all entitlements but on moving back to Thailand your pension reverts to what it was on the initial claim.

Sorry they got you all ways.

:-(

I am going to Switzerland to see my Grandchildren for two or three months. My son told me that while in Switzerland I would be entitled to an unfrozen, full British pension? Has anyone had experience of this and how to go about it?

sorry misread it ,forget i posted
Edited by i claudius

The Footsie 100 is now above the level held before the referendum, and the pound is fractionally better today. It will improve.

The prospect of a further interest rate cut, as indicated by the Bank of England governor, is believed to be the reason why the stock market has risen. The very same factor is thought to be the reason for the decline in the pound.I think we are going to have a weaker pound for some time.

• Like 2

The Footsie 100 is now above the level held before the referendum, and the pound is fractionally better today. It will improve.

Better than what? It was 55 before Brexit got underway.

It was 49.5 in February.

It touched 55 last October and was 47.78 in April last year

• Like 2

Better than what? It was 55 before Brexit got underway.

Sandy, you are almost correct.

The last time that the GBP hit over 55 baht, at least according to my daily logging of the GBP/THB exchange rate at KBank was on Wednesday 26th August 2015 nearly 10 months ago. Quite a while before the Brexit gained strength.

Belay that message. It was on Tuesday, 22 September 2015. Over 9 months ago.

Edited by billd766

The pound is on a downward slide and is not going to reverse for a long time.

Thanks Dodgy Dave, Boris, Gove and the rest of you.

Actually you can blame Carney at the bank of England for talking the pound down by saying there may be quantative easing or rate cuts , they want a weak pound .

• Like 1