90 Day Report At Chiang Mai Immigration

Went for my report and arrived at 1330. Had 30 ahead of me in the q, and had to wait 1 1/2 hours to be seen. Although others say it takes less time after 1500, I needed to be elsewhere then.

I had a completed TM 47, passport with original 90 day paper and photocopies of passport face page, visa and extension, last entry to Thailand and departure card.

I took a copy ( and original ) household bill with address on it, but they didn't ask for that.

Once I got to the desk, it took less than 5 minutes to be processed.

Other than having to wait, it was a pretty painless procedure.

There is NO requirement for :

payment

bank book with minimum balance or bank letter.

I arrived at 1445 (2:45 pm) on Wednesday, had over 30 people ahead of me and had to wait until 1615 (4:15 pm). Guess more people are clicking to the bit about come late, don't have to wait. Not so true now. Big advantage was that there was no line at the copy shop and the immigration people put a bar-code sticker on the inside back cover of my passport. They said next time I won't have to bring any copies -- just my passport.

Didn't get any of the usual questions like Hubby or I normally do when one of us takes both passports. No questions about where is husband today? Or (my personal favorite) Is he in Thailand now? (Where else would he be without his passport?!)

Last Monday was the worst I have seen it at Chiangmai Immigration in over 60 trips there for service. Last week it was for 90 day report which took 20 minutes in the after lunch queue to get a number and approx 2 hours to get to the desk. There is not enough space in the building for the people standing around and stepping all over each other. Seems to be getting worse each year.

Ask the clerks doing the 90 day stamps about the bar code. They said they weren't sure, maybe it would be for sometime in the future.

Can remember the day when you walked in the other buiding with no queue numbers and walked out 5 - 10 minutes later. If it works, change it! They need a much larger building and waiting area for Chiangmai becuse it serves a very large crown of people. One thing for sure is that they do a good job serving the volume of people they get. Anybody out there want their job at Thai Gov Civil Service wages?

Seems to be a lot of variability depending on what day you go there. I checked in last week and was there at 830 AM so had to wait for the early bird names to be called out. After finally getting a queue number, about a 45 minute wait and I was done. Plenty of seats available and everyone was in a good mood.

Glad to hear the news about the bar code and no need for copies. Is there an official announcement about this anywhere?

T-dog and Lifer -- did they put bar code stickers on the inside last page of your passports? They did with mine last week and when I asked why, I was told that next time I wouldn't need to bring copies, just the passport. This conversation was in Thai and perhaps I misunderstood about reaping the benefits with the next 90 day report vs. at some distant time in the future.

One of their favorite questions for me is "how do I spend my time in Thailand" to which I reply I study the Thai language and add a list of other things that sound innocent, like having lunch with friends, going to the spa, shopping, reading and exercising. It's almost like they're trying to catch me saying something like volunteering with the orphans or teaching English to monks -- both activities porhibited to retired people. Maybe they're just trying to pass the time and get a laugh at my attempts to speak Thai. Anyway, they explained the bar code thing to me in Thai, so I may have misunderstood.

Edited by NancyL

I arrived at 1445 (2:45 pm) on Wednesday, had over 30 people ahead of me and had to wait until 1615 (4:15 pm). Guess more people are clicking to the bit about come late, don't have to wait. Not so true now. Big advantage was that there was no line at the copy shop and the immigration people put a bar-code sticker on the inside back cover of my passport. They said next time I won't have to bring any copies -- just my passport.

Didn't get any of the usual questions like Hubby or I normally do when one of us takes both passports. No questions about where is husband today? Or (my personal favorite) Is he in Thailand now? (Where else would he be without his passport?!)

Circa 2004: Took mine and my wife's PPs to Samui immigration for extensions.

Where is your wife?

Shopping I imagine

Shopping where?

I don't know, she could be on the beach but I think she will be shopping.

In Thailand?

Err. Yes sure. In Lamai.

OK

Does paperwork and hands it back before adding "shopping, very funny"

The 90 day's procedure started under the Thaksin administration, initially it was easy, it took place in the small left annexe when entering the gate, all one had to do was to enter once personal details into the big desk book and sign.

then the system changed to the current procedure, but it still took place 'quickly' in the small left side annexe building

Then they moved it over to the so called main building, and the small annexe was then used for to SE Asian immigrant workers, but now the have also moved the SEA immigrant workers to the main building and the excessive 90 day's "Q's" with and the long time waiting begun.

As a result there is also now excessive pressure on the IMMI staff to deal with the daily massive applicants, and there is a possibility that changes will take place, in terms of procedure, and the enlargement of the building, anyway ... lets hope so.

Nancy,

They put the bar code on the last page, ask no questions, and when I ask them what the bar code was for, none of the clerks at that window could answer the question except to say maybe it will be used in the future. Totally unprofessional answer given they are placing an information barcode in your foreign passport.

Not sure what the questions are about, but I quess I have accomplished approximately 50+ 90 day reports they knew everything abhout me already.

Big Brother is everywhere.

Edited by Lifer

Circa 2004: Took mine and my wife's PPs to Samui immigration for extensions.

Where is your wife?

Shopping I imagine

Shopping where?

I don't know, she could be on the beach but I think she will be shopping.

In Thailand?

Err. Yes sure. In Lamai.

OK

Does paperwork and hands it back before adding "shopping, very funny"

Wow, you were able to do an extension for your wife? I thought 90 day reports were the limit of what we could do for a spouse. (At least with regards to visa maintenance!)

Edited by NancyL

Wow, you were able to do an extension for your wife? I thought 90 day reports were the limit of what we could do for a spouse. (At least with regards to visa maintenance!)

A 90 report has nothing to do with visa maintenance

A 90 report has nothing to do with visa maintenance

So, if you don't do your 90 reports, it has no effect whatsoever on your visa????

Well, OK, poor choice of words.

I knew it was OK for someone else to file a 90 day report for you. I didn't think that someone else could show up to handle the annual extension of permission to stay. I thought they wanted to see your bright shining face, even if you use an agent, lawyer or spouse to do the actual talking and elbowing in the queue line for you.

In post No. 6 notmyself said he handled an "extension" for his wife while she was out shopping. Didn't know it was possible to send someone else to do your extension.

Edited by NancyL

In post No. 6 notmyself said he handled an "extension" for his wife while she was out shopping. Didn't know it was possible to send someone else to do your extension.

It is not.

He was talking about 8 years ago. He also mentioned Samui. whistling.gif

Well, OK, poor choice of words.

I knew it was OK for someone else to file a 90 day report for you. I didn't think that someone else could show up to handle the annual extension of permission to stay. I thought they wanted to see your bright shining face, even if you use an agent, lawyer or spouse to do the actual talking and elbowing in the queue line for you.

This was just a 7 day (or was it 10 days then) tourist visa extension. Changed sometime between mid 2004 and mid 2006. The rules didn't change, they were just being enforced. BTW, it turned out she was indeed shopping.

Barcode is to automate the process and make reporting much easier.

Yes, but it only deletes the printing of the passport pages, most of 'us' have printers besides our Pc's making those P/port copies is no problem

The Barcode will of course not shorten the long waiting queue's, nor the sardine like occupation of the waiting room, and the surrounding outside era.

The IMMI team is under extreme pressure to do their job's, CM gets more and more arriving foreigners, as a result administrative IMMI changes may eventually happen, and that will be to our advantage, thus lets keep our fingers crossed.

• 1 year later...

Just go out of the country every 90 days and no 90 day report needed.

More difficult and more expensive. Why go to another country when you can go to immigration and be back home in an hour or two? Seems like a big hassle to leave the country. If I did I'd still need to go to immigration to get a re-entry permit. So it doesn't save me a trip to immigration at all. I live in Thailand, so don't see the point of having to leave 4 times a year just to avoid an hour or two visit to immigration. Maybe you like to make your life difficult.

• Like 1

Yes, but it only deletes the printing of the passport pages, most of 'us' have printers besides our Pc's making those P/port copies is no problem

The Barcode will of course not shorten the long waiting queue's, nor the sardine like occupation of the waiting room, and the surrounding outside era.

The IMMI team is under extreme pressure to do their job's, CM gets more and more arriving foreigners, as a result administrative IMMI changes may eventually happen, and that will be to our advantage, thus lets keep our fingers crossed.

The local immigration should lobby the government to either get rid of 90-day reporting, or allow it to be done online. Seems like a completely pointless exercise to keep reporting that you're still at the same address. Some people have been at the same address for over a decade but still have to report to say they're there. Utter madness. Complete waste of money and resources that could be put to much better use.

• Like 1

The local immigration should lobby the government to either get rid of 90-day reporting, or allow it to be done online. Seems like a completely pointless exercise to keep reporting that you're still at the same address. Some people have been at the same address for over a decade but still have to report to say they're there. Utter madness. Complete waste of money and resources that could be put to much better use.

Sometimes it works out that you have to report two weeks after renewing for a year..........go figure.

According to the City Life article, they would prefer it if foreigners do all the lobbying for them.

Can the 90 day be done via mail in Chiang Mai. If so, I'm thinking it

might be a better choice than dealing with the immigration queues.

Nope. See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/

Much easier for Immigration anyway.

And, of course, the barcode is the reason we can no longer mail in our 90-day reporting paperwork. I guess they could allow us to mail in our barcoded passports -- but how many of us would do that?

I guess there are efficiencies in no longer having to open and seal envelopes -- and read hardcopy data. And I guess the new inefficiencies of increased overcrowding, no parking, etal get trumped by the barcode system.

Has the barcode system ended the mailing option elsewhere?

No. The barcode is on the TM.47 receipt - not the passport - in Bangkok

Now, that makes sense.

Does the barcode on the TM 47 mean you no longer have to mail in all those photocopies -- or just some photocopies (i.e., which data is not covered by the barcode)?