Metal Bars On Windows

dutchmagnum

Hi all,

I'm moving into my new house in about 3 weeks, but first I need to get some metal bars on the windows. Can anybody give me an idea what a decent price would be? The house isn't too big. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 story.

One estimate given was 30,000 baht. Seems expensive to me, but I have nothing to compare it too.

Help please.

I had mine done when it was new three years ago and we paid 20,000 Baht. That was a 3 bedroom Bungalow with 11 windows, a large front door area and a routine back door. There are many designs to choose from and they are all different prices so some of the cost depends on your choices. I shopped around for a couple of weeks before I chose and I was quoted between 18,000 and 38,000 Baht, so there is plenty of choice.

Sounds a bit OTT to me BUT it's the quality of work that counts. Ask to look at their work.

I have two story three bed place and the guy made the security grills to my own design choice. Great job and l think 20,000 about 4 years ago.

I had mine done when it was new three years ago and we paid 20,000 Baht. That was a 3 bedroom Bungalow with 11 windows, a large front door area and a routine back door. There are many designs to choose from and they are all different prices so some of the cost depends on your choices. I shopped around for a couple of weeks before I chose and I was quoted between 18,000 and 38,000 Baht, so there is plenty of choice.

Sounds about right.

it's the quality of work that counts. Ask to look at their work.

Agreed. Poorly welded bars are EASY to break at the welds with just a little bit of leverage. Also a good idea to spot weld the bolts otherwise they will just unbolt them.

That said, if it happens they will probably break in through your roof via the tiles. Seems to be the select entry point for the locals.

The roof entry possibility can be remedied by installing chain link fencing on the attic floor, which is not totally unheard of. This sounds extreme, and I was amazed to find out that that's what is in the house I'm renting. The landlord didn't want to take any chances, I guess.