Just Curious. Where Do You Display Your Road Tax Sticker?

VocalNeal

After being pulled over many times by cops who thought that my bike wouldn't have a plate and sticker, I asked a couple what I should do in the future to not be pulled over so much. By the way, I never got a fine, because I had the plate and it was legal. They all told me that if they could see the sticker on my bike as I was driving toward them, then they would not have flagged me down for that. And, since then I have never been flagged down for plates/insurance. Just me driving like a jackass. So, put it where it is most visible to the cops as you approach them.

I put it on the front fender. Not nice, but OK, if law says i have to show it, why not...

post-129800-0-05019000-1332339500_thumb.

Easier on the scooter of course, but mostly hidden from shopping bags:

post-129800-0-74035600-1332338733_thumb.

Guess its not allowed to hide the sticker behind shopping bags smile.png

Now the sticker is under the passenger seat, in a pocket with other papers,

But few weeks ago I've seen a thai people driving an ER6N who had some acrylic cylinder (looks like a manufactured piece, waterproof and sealed with aluminum) attached under the passenger seat, about 2.5-3 cm Ø and 15 cm long, enough to show the whole sticker.

If someone here know where this kind of gadget is available ?

But few weeks ago I've seen a thai people driving an ER6N who had some acrylic cylinder (looks like a manufactured piece, waterproof and sealed with aluminum) attached under the passenger seat, about 2.5-3 cm Ø and 15 cm long, enough to show the whole sticker.

I have one of these on my Versys and on the Fino i just put it under the seat where it can't be stolen.

Never been stopped on either by the police as both bikes are quite new and I always have my lid on so they just don't bother when they see me and just wave me through their check points

I put it on the front fender. Not nice, but OK, if law says i have to show it, why not...

post-129800-0-05019000-1332339500_thumb.

Easier on the scooter of course, but mostly hidden from shopping bags:

Guess its not allowed to hide the sticker behind shopping bags smile.png

I have never openly displayed the tax sticker, it is under the seat in a clear small plastic bag, only once was I stopped to ask to show insurance, I lifted the seat showed the plod and went on my way!!

for the last 7 years I kept it under the seat inside the greenbook, but my new bike (enduro) doesn't have any stowage, so now I keep it in a drawer in my office. Previously I have been stopped and I just showed the sticker and book at the same time and there was no problem. But If I got stopped now I got neither. I guess it is good I moved way up in the sticks. Never see any cops out here.

For long trips I would toss it in my backpack or something.

those transparent plastic cylinder things have been in the big c and tesco lotus since last year

they cost 99 or 199 thb if i remember rightly

Is it law to display it or not? I don't and never had a problem, as another poster said, when I am stopped just open the seat, show it, and on my way

probably should have it visible on the vehicke at all times ,i know people who stick them under the seat for weather proofness and if they get stopped just pop the seat and show him

most people driving around on shiny new scooters probably wont be stopped for tax reasons anyway

it you have an old kawasaki 2 stroker from the 80s theres more chance they would like to see if it taxed or not :)

I think it is the law to display it, but they are such an ugly thing. Worth it to me to cough up 200 baht if I ever had an officer that insisted on it. but that hasn't happened and I used to get stopped a few times a year.

My wife was doing the same as me, but she had to pay when she got caught. She hates the cops so she probably wasn't very charming with them. Anyhow she has hers stuck on her scooter now.

On my Honda Phantom it is a photocopy on the tank and covered with a transparent plastic film plus a photocopy of the green book is in the top box.

On my Yamaha Virago a copy is laminated and bolted to the rear fender and a photocopy of the green book is in the pannier.

I was stopped yesterday and mine was under the seat. No problem, just lifted the seat and showed it and on my way. Don't know what the law is but not displaying doesn't seem to be a problem.

I believe the law is it is supposed to be visibly displayed where it can easily be seen on the outside of the motorcycle in the vicinity of the number plate. A bad system really since there is no way to uniformly display it in the same way on every make of bike.

The best solution would be a weather proof sticker that goes in the lower right hand corner of the number plate and then have to replace it once a year to keep it current. If it was in sticker form theft would also be far more difficult. Especially if they made it like one of those metalic security stickers they use in department stores which tears if you try to remove it.

But since mine was stolen once already I am prepared to take my chances and keep it under the seat rather than risk it being nicked again.

All my documents are laminated photocopies with exception of the tax sticker which is original and again all these documents are kept under the seat on both my small and bigger bike. I even have full A4 page laminated photocopies of the insurance folded up under the bigger bike's seat, i pitty the fool that asks to see my documents :D

Edited by karlos

A highway police cop I have a beer with now and again, told me most of the time if they can't see a road tax anywhere on display they only bother to ask to see it and the driver license, and advise to get it put in view to avoid being stopped, he said for farangie's they should carry a copy of there passport, as well as greenbook copy & insurance copy.

A funny part was when he asking about UK police and I got on to telling him the names UK bikers call police and he starting laughing because a another police guy he knows has a Thai nickname " muu muu ". laugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

I ride in an area with many police stops. After taping the tax thing onto my front fairing I don't get pulled over as often. It may be ugly with the paper on the front of the bike but well worth the reduced hassle.

To all the people who have had theirs stolen I am interested to know how your were displaying it , I guess they steal it to get this cylinder holder to put on their own bike and actually just discard the actual sticker.

The cylinder holders are a great idea but I think they possibly encourage theft I think I will just stick a coloured copy into my cylinder just to save any unwanted hassle of applying for a new 1.

Edited by taninthai