TAT To Propose PM Yingluck As Thai Tourism Presenter

webfact

TAT proposed PM Yingluck as Thai tourism presenter

BANGKOK, 22 March 2012 (NNT) – The Thai tourism authority has come up with an idea to propose that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra be an official presenter of Thailand's money-making business.

Mr. Sansern Ngaorungsi, Deputy Governor - Asia and South Pacific Market of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), said on Wednesday that, during her participation in a TAT workshop, PM Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed all state and private agencies related to the travel industry to work integratively on the business development plan and to solve all problems it has faced.

He said that the Tourism and Sports Ministry will collect all proposals from concerned agencies and present them to the government for consideration and implementation.

The TAT Deputy Governor added that the prime minister has also reminded all parties that the tourism industry is a major source of income for Thailand, bringing in hundreds of billions of baht in foreign revenue each year.

At the workshop, participants from the private sector have also suggested that the government build a Thai-inspired theme park to showcase the tourism and traditional diversity from across the country.

Meanwhile, TAT Deputy Governor for Marketing Communications Prakit Piriyakiet revealed that the Tourism Authority has also proposed that PM Yingluck be made an official presenter of the Thai travel industry in order to help promote domestic tourism among Thais.

In addition, it also wishes to make the PM an international presenter of Thai travel business in the international market.

Mr. Prakit said that both proposals are now pending the consent from the Secretariat of the Prime Minister.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-03-22 footer_n.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want to develop tourism here .... you can check what other countries did and succeed and correct what can be correct in Thailand.I dont think appointed the PM as international presenter is a good idea .. Let the PM do her job as PM .

"participants from the private sector have also suggested that the government build a Thai-inspired theme park to showcase the tourism and traditional diversity from across the country"

I thought they wanted to build a Disneyland or is this the same project as above..LOL

if you want to develop tourism here .... you can check what other countries did and succeed and correct what can be correct in Thailand.I dont think appointed the PM as international presenter is a good idea .. Let the PM do her job as PM .

I'm interested which countries "tourism model" you see as a shining example for Thailand to learn from. Despite all the negative news stories and comments found here, I see a fairly successful tourism market in operation here daily... it's far from perfect and there's certainly room for improvement but very interested to know which countries you think Thailand should be emulating.

• Like 1

The TAT is one of the most corrupted organisations. All their spendings and for waht and whom should be made public on a weekly basis and all their current marketing and strategy heads should be sacked.

Isn't that AMAZING?

"TAT proposed PM Yingluck as Thai presenter" #1^

• Hell of an idea
  • I've seen other Heads of State being incorporated within Tourism marketting initiatives.
  • Doesn't take much of an effort to do so, and adds a human dimension to normal tourism marketting upbeat stuff, often seen to be an unrealistic promotional gimmick..
  • Thailand is particularly blessed with one of the most telegenic PM's. So why not use the asset.
  • Would also be cheaper. Better than hiring some overpriced celebrity to do the same thing.
  • I don't think Thailand has one of International stature anyway, and by virtue of her position, she would give instant credibility to the project.
  • The experts would be able to determine which target markets would be best influenced by this, if any.

Silly me.

There was me thinking that being the PM of a country was a full time job though Yingluck seems to make it part time with all the time she is NOT in Parliament doing the job she IS paid for.

If she takes the job on I hope that she gets well paid for it and also declares the salary for tax purposes.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 2

Isn't someone else already doing her job? I think the initials are TS.

"TAT proposed PM Yingluck as Thai presenter" #1^

• Hell of an idea
  • I've seen other Heads of State being incorporated within Tourism marketting initiatives.
  • Doesn't take much of an effort to do so, and adds a human dimension to normal tourism marketting upbeat stuff, often seen to be an unrealistic promotional gimmick..
  • Thailand is particularly blessed with one of the most telegenic PM's. So why not use the asset.
  • Would also be cheaper. Better than hiring some overpriced celebrity to do the same thing.
  • I don't think Thailand has one of International stature anyway, and by virtue of her position, she would give instant credibility to the project.
  • The experts would be able to determine which target markets would be best influenced by this, if any.

"Better than hiring some overpriced celebrity". Who hired Yingluck?

I'm not against national leaders appearing in tourism campaigns per se. But it seems they fit better when they are especially charismatic leaders like Obama or Cristina Kirchner. Yingluck is moderately pretty but she is not really charismatic and she speaks English so atrociously. Perhaps the idea is to suggest don't come to Thailand for sex tourism. Our women are not your sex puppets. Instead, we have our lady Thaksin puppet. From a purely business point of view, attracting more tourists, it doesn't seem to be an especially astute choice, but it's not tragically bad either.

Edited by Jingthing

hahaha, yingluck as tourism spokesman, you mean to scare them off not to visit thailand and so have less waiting line at immigration, right?

strange how thai politics always claim that tourism is only 6% of the GDP... i guess they forgot how much the 300.000 hookers send back to support their lazy families in the northeast with their oldest profession in the world ?

tuk tuk and jetski maffia thanks you always for your deep pockets and contributions

And Michelle Yeoh can speak English.

If Michelle Yeoh can represents Malaysia, why not Yingluck represents Thailand. She is no less sexy, and certainly has more appeal.

Michelle Yeoh isn't the Prime-Minister of Malaysia. Is that a good enough reason?

Like that's gonna work! She can't even speak English. If you want to attract foreign visitors for tourism, your spokesperson should at least be able to speak English.

What a stupid idea!

They could probably train her to speak a few short scripted sentences adequately.