Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The article says in the video you can see him getting clubbed, however it appears he already has blood on his face when it starts and I don't see him taking any blows to the head before going through the turnstiles.

Exactly, and we dont see the foreigners attitude before he got hit. If he was verbally aggressive and pointing at the guard then, for thais it's a sign of impending physical struggle. I'm guessing the guard, being much smaller got scared and hit the foreigner.

I think youre all missing the point.

"against the BTS's security protocol"

Has anyone seen any notices saying the "carrying of baloons on BTS trains is against BTS protocal and not allowed"?

Perhaps it's written in small print in Thai somewhere along with another thousand things you shouldn't do on BTS's train like taking a bomb with you?

There are (should be) proper procedures for dealing with agitated customers. Smashing in his head with a baton is not one of them.

Shame on BTS.

There are signs posted showing balloons are not allowed along with a number of other things. However, it really doesn't matter does it? Balloons are not allowed on planes either but I've never seen a sign at an airport, as I do on the BTS, stating such a rule.

it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

Absolutely agree...

agree too

agree three

This maybe very well be true...but Farang would be charged with a case of simple assault, while Corporal Somchai of the BTS constabulary would be charged with GBH.

The clip almost looks set up..but maybe just me. Also curious they are looking to find who posted the original Video on You Tube

that is exactly what I thought! For a start how come the camera person was focused on

this person for so long and then when he is going up the steps he knows the camera is

tracking him and why would that be?

If there wasn't something more to this then I would logically assume the person turned on the camera and trained it on the guy because he was already acting in a way that gave the person taking the video the impression he was about to escalate something into something worth capturing on video ... note that he didn't have the video trained on a crazed security guard clubbing people in the head (who carried balloons) on the other side of the ticket gate.

Definitely proving you are a 9" member, in the brain region. The event had already happened, you know nothing of prior events...... but you know it all, don't you?

Heresay, again...... still boring! As long as there is continued heresay, I will continue with 'boring'..... whilst I do my own thing elsewhere.

• Like 1

It gives a whole new meaning to going clubbing in Bangkok!

On a serious note, it does worry me on the level of gratuitous violence that I am now reading about by Thais on farangs.

Although I understand your point, however having farangs looking down on Thailand does not help the situation as well. It's quite often expression used in this forum such as "TIT" or other expressions that reflect that farangs expect Thailand to be exactly like their country. The truth is that its not and it won't be. But I guess in this case, its a mixed between language problems and the faring thinking "this is another TIT where people make up their own rule as they goes" when the security guard tried to stop him.

Yes, western trash tries to present themselves as kings.

The clip almost looks set up..but maybe just me. Also curious they are looking to find who posted the original Video on You Tube

that is exactly what I thought! For a start how come the camera person was focused on

this person for so long and then when he is going up the steps he knows the camera is

If there wasn't something more to this then I would logically assume the person turned on the camera and trained it on the guy because he was already acting in a way that gave the person taking the video the impression he was about to escalate something into something worth capturing on video ...

I would logically assume that the person turned the camera on because the guy had just been belted over the head by a security guard and was bleeding profusely.

I think the headline says it all really: "Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard"

It's a real shame that this has to be twisted into a Thai vs Ferang debate. It's about a security guard that over stepped the mark. Nationality is irrelevant. Security guards are infamous for being wanna be police but most have no powers of restraint what-so-ever.

If the victim was being aggressive and violent it's their duty to call the real police, not to attack them with a weapon. At this point however it's purely speculation that the victim did anything to provoke what would be a charge of Grievous Bodily Harm in the UK.

As for the balloon debate, it's totally irrelevant and absurd.

• Like 1

The article says in the video you can see him getting clubbed, however it appears he already has blood on his face when it starts and I don't see him taking any blows to the head before going through the turnstiles.

Exactly, and we dont see the foreigners attitude before he got hit. If he was verbally aggressive and pointing at the guard then, for thais it's a sign of impending physical struggle. I'm guessing the guard, being much smaller got scared and hit the foreigner.

If that is the case then the guard needs to be held accountable for his actions as does the foreigner but I just don't see a guard getting that worked up prior to him going through the ticket area. Even the guards after are very calm even as he assaults some of them. But there are people who can't control themselves in all society. Clearly this guy is one of them but it also is possible there was a security guard prior to the taping that after hitting the guy left the scene.

BTS MD to cooperate with police on passenger assault case

BANGKOK, 22 March 2012 (NNT) - Following media reports of a BTS security guard attacking a foreigner, a BTS executive is affirming its full cooperation with police investigating the incident.

Managing Director of Bangkok Mass Transit System Plc, Dr. Anat Arbhabhirama said the company is ensuring fairness for both parties while conducting an internal investigation into the guard’s behavior. If the guard is found to be guilty of the assault, he will face disciplinary action.

A video clip posted on Youtube showed a security guard attempting to stop a foreign passenger who was holding helium balloons from boarding the skytrain. An argument ensued and the foreigner was seen hit in the head by the said guard.

The man later pressed a criminal charge against the guard with local police.

Dr Anat said that for safety reasons, bringing balloons onto the BTS train is not allowed and is against the company’s policy.

He added that since both parties have formally lodged complaints, the company is giving the police full cooperation in its investigation.

He insisted that passenger safety is the company’s top priority.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-03-22 footer_n.gif

What!! 'seen hit over the head!!!' Not in the youtube vid I saw he wasn't. Came through gate already bloodied. I did however see him shove and try to kick a guard. Another farang was restraining him. 15 pages in....may I suggest a fresh look at the vid as I have just done?

Why would you suggest a fresh look to an after event? The said taking person of the footage had, alledgedly, been in the vicinity of this man's bad handling, and took the vid to portray his bad handling. Why look at an after event?

It's all heresay!

-mel.

Although very unlikely he was assaulted (not hurt while attacking others) but even if this was the case, his behavior on this video is criminal and I don't use the word criminal lightly.

So did he wallop himself on the head?

It's possible, however the eyewitness reports from yesterday's thread (which I doubt you've read, as you clearly haven't real all of this thread) would suggest otherwise.

You're just making yourself look even more of a fool than you usually do here.

I'd quit while you are behind.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

If there wasn't something more to this then I would logically assume the person turned on the camera and trained it on the guy because he was already acting in a way that gave the person taking the video the impression he was about to escalate something into something worth capturing on video ...

I would logically assume that the person turned the camera on because the guy had just been belted over the head by a security guard and was bleeding profusely.

I think the headline says it all really: "Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard"

It's a real shame that this has to be twisted into a Thai vs Ferang debate. It's about a security guard that over stepped the mark. Nationality is irrelevant. Security guards are infamous for being wanna be police but most have no powers of restraint what-so-ever.

If the victim was being aggressive and violent it's their duty to call the real police, not to attack them with a weapon. At this point however it's purely speculation that the victim did anything to provoke what would be a charge of Grievous Bodily Harm in the UK.

The headline states exactly the opposite of what is in the video and the story below the headline doesn't give any information at all to back up this claim and in facts states the video shows the foreigner being assaulted which is completely 100% untrue. So, if you want to believe headlines instead of evidence in front of you then that is your choice.

You can logically assume anything. IT'S still heresay!

-mel.

The guard filed a complaint after assaulting a passenger with a baton? Only after he found out he was about to be crucified via Youtube, I'll bet.

Where are the BTS videos There are many cameras all over the BTS station. I guess as usual the TAT is upset and embraced showing this video that shows violence against foreigners which are no excuse for any guard to use excessive force and I am glad this went to YouTube

I hope the security guy still has his job. I mean, if the clip showed the guard let the foreigner in with baloons the guard would probably be fired. Imagine going home to your family telling your wife that you were fired because of a bullying foreigner with baloons.

If the securetiy guy was in fact abussive I dont know about toher coontries but in sweden it is somewhat accepted and expected that workers are verbally abused now and then. I guess it does not work as well in Thailand.

Although very unlikely he was assaulted (not hurt while attacking others) but even if this was the case, his behavior on this video is criminal and I don't use the word criminal lightly.

So did he wallop himself on the head? It's possible, however the eyewitness reports from yesterday's thread would suggest otherwise.

I'm a fool but you believe that he would have to hit himself on the head if the injury was not do to being "assaulted (not hurt while attacking others) " It is not an assault when it is self-defense.

You'll have to give me links to these eye witness reports that have not been reported by police or in the press. All I have to go on now is a video showing this guy behaving in a criminal manner against very calm and composed security officers.

moonbarman said Then why were'nt the rules enforced at the airport incident when the hiso thai not only barged through the checkpoint but assaulted the security officer,I don't condone anything the farang did in this video(think he showed poor judgement),but i would have liked to have seen what would have happened if a high ranking thai had been carrying the balloons, the guards would've probably carried them to the train for him bowing and scraping all the way, one rule for thai another for farang, same same as always.

This is a variation on the old expression, 'Life is a $hit sandwich, the more bread you have, the less $hit you have to eat'. I wouldn't agree with it either, and it may not happen as you suggest, but if it did, it would be a serious breach.

Why do you have to bring up a fictional incident involving a Thai Hiso to put imaginary blame on the Thai Security? What if it was Angela Jolene and/or Brad Pitt with their kids or any other famous person? Famous and Powerful people are treated different across the globe and as you allude ... this is just life.

The incident at the airport was not fictional and the guard was carrying a metal detector so if he'd followed the logic of this incident he would have battered the bloke with his metal detector and not kow towed and let himself be hit around the head.

BANGKOK, 22 March 2012 (NNT) - Following media reports of a BTS security guard attacking a foreigner, a BTS executive is affirming its full cooperation with police investigating the incident.

Managing Director of Bangkok Mass Transit System Plc, Dr. Anat Arbhabhirama said the company is ensuring fairness for both parties while conducting an internal investigation into the guard’s behavior. If the guard is found to be guilty of the assault, he will face disciplinary action.

A video clip posted on Youtube showed a security guard attempting to stop a foreign passenger who was holding helium balloons from boarding the skytrain. An argument ensued and the foreigner was seen hit in the head by the said guard.

Dr Anat said that for safety reasons, bringing balloons onto the BTS train is not allowed and is against the company’s policy.

He added that since both parties have formally lodged complaints, the company is giving the police full cooperation in its investigation.

nntlogo.jpg

What!! 'seen hit over the head!!!' Not in the youtube vid I saw he wasn't. Came through gate already bloodied. I did however see him shove and try to kick a guard. Another farang was restraining him. 15 pages in....may I suggest a fresh look at the vid as I have just done?

Why would you suggest a fresh look to an after event? The said taking person of the footage had, alledgedly, been in the vicinity of this man's bad handling, and took the vid to portray his bad handling. Why look at an after event?

It's all heresay!

-mel.

My suggestion is because the news clip stated he "was seen hit on the head". He wasn't. not on the vid on page 1 of this thread. A fresh look would make posters see that this news is incorrect. The vid does in no way show his 'bad handling. It shows him shoving, trying to kick and screaming and swearing BTS guards. That's all.

If that is the case then the guard needs to be held accountable for his actions as does the foreigner but I just don't see a guard getting that worked up prior to him going through the ticket area. Even the guards after are very calm even as he assaults some of them. But there are people who can't control themselves in all society. Clearly this guy is one of them but it also is possible there was a security guard prior to the taping that after hitting the guy left the scene.

Yes, the guard seem very calm. But people react different. Unless we get to see the beginning we can only speculate.

I hope the security guy still has his job. I mean, if the clip showed the guard let the foreigner in with baloons the guard would probably be fired. Imagine going home to your family telling your wife that you were fired because of a bullying foreigner with baloons.

If the securetiy guy was in fact abussive I dont know about toher coontries but in sweden it is somewhat accepted and expected that workers are verbally abused now and then. I guess it does not work as well in Thailand.

Sadly in Thailand a guard could be fired for hitting a guy back that hit him first. We will have to wait for more to come out regarding what happened before the video but regardless of what happened before the video, this guy needs to be charged with crimes he committed on video. It is a shame the level of respect Thais are expected to show because all force necessary should have been used to stop this guy from entering the ticketed area and especially heading up the stairs to the trains. I want to feel somewhat safe riding the MRT and to know that anyone can simply bully there way past security doesn't make me feel safe. I would feel awful for this little girl to see what I believe is her dad clubbed into submission but that is exactly what should have happened as long as he refused to follow orders by security and/or exit the MRT.

So did he wallop himself on the head? It's possible, however the eyewitness reports from yesterday's thread would suggest otherwise.

I'm a fool but you believe that he would have to hit himself on the head if the injury was not do to being "assaulted (not hurt while attacking others) " It is not an assault when it is self-defense.

You'll have to give me links to these eye witness reports that have not been reported by police or in the press. All I have to go on now is a video showing this guy behaving in a criminal manner against very calm and composed security officers.

And you know nothing of prior events, so why would you go on half a story?

Ooops, sorry, balloons cause massive explosions, c.f. your physics knowledge.

Baa!

-mel.

nntlogo.jpg

It's all heresay!

-mel.

My suggestion is because the news clip stated he "was seen hit on the head". He wasn't. not on the vid on page 1 of this thread. A fresh look would make posters see that this news is incorrect. The vid does in no way show his 'bad handling. It shows him shoving, trying to kick and screaming and swearing BTS guards. That's all.

Agreed, it shows nothing of prior events. It shows after events, and if you had been hit on the head you would be pretty aggressive too, so would a smoking Thai monk gun!

-mel..... HERESAY again! :Z

You'll have to give me links to these eye witness reports that have not been reported by police or in the press.

Look at yesterday's thread on this topic (there is a link on pg 2 or 3). There were several people who claimed to have seen the incident and posted their accounts.

All suggested the guard was the aggressor.

All I have to go on now is a video showing this guy behaving in a criminal manner against very calm and composed security officers.

May I suggest you keep your wild accusations and surmises to yourself then?

If you can't be constructive or lack the intellect to attempt to piece together a rational scenario from what evidence we do have, I would respectfully suggest you refrain from posting until more is known.

All you are doing is jumping to wild conclusions here.

Why are they making such a fuss about some fricking balloons??? I've had my mountain bike a million times on that sky train and it takes up a lot more space than some <deleted> balloons! That the guy got clubbed was clearly his own fault, though, because he was the one who got physical first!!!

Sadly in Thailand a guard could be fired for hitting a guy back that hit him first. We will have to wait for more to come out regarding what happened before the video but regardless of what happened before the video, this guy needs to be charged with crimes he committed on video. It is a shame the level of respect Thais are expected to show because all force necessary should have been used to stop this guy from entering the ticketed area and especially heading up the stairs to the trains. I want to feel somewhat safe riding the MRT and to know that anyone can simply bully there way past security doesn't make me feel safe. I would feel awful for this little girl to see what I believe is her dad clubbed into submission but that is exactly what should have happened as long as he refused to follow orders by security and/or exit the MRT.

What crimes did he commit on video? Being angry after a whack on the head? Does you you speaky comprendy Eeengleesh?

You lost the plot on this one, no pal of mine!

-mel.

EDIT! You say "We will have to wait for more to come out regarding what happened" - unquote.

Haven't you understood 'hearsay' for the last 3 hours? Jeez, go back to physics!

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

And you know nothing of prior events, so why would you go on half a story?

Baa!

-mel.

Give me one speculation of what could have occurred prior to the incident to would justify his behavior on this tape. I am not going on 1/2 story, I am going on a fairly lenghthy video that shows an out of control foreigner attacking security guards who pose him no threat while he refuses to comply with the rules of the MRT.

If you can give me just one scenario of something happening on the other side of that entrance that would justify his entering the station area and acting in a criminal fashion then please share and I will listen because I cannot think of anything unless we say the blow to the head cause some kind of mental break down that cause him to not know right from wrong and behave in a clinically insane manner but then regain his sanity when dealing with the police while losing his memory of his attacking unprovoking security personnel and entering refusing to comply with rules of the BTS.