Police Raiding Visa Runs

dillon

be careful! the police jumped on the Jack Golf visa run bus the other morning and removed 3 persons who had overstayed their visas. they were taken to court, dealt with and deported from :o the country. however they were not banned and are allowed to re enter the country at any time - funny that as they were on a bloody bus to do just that in the first place!!!!!!!!

Police deal with overstay differently from border immigration.

The gov. as adopted a policy of 'cracking down' on overstay, and police frequently check any vehicles on main roads in boarder areas. This predominantly aimed at illegal migrant workers from neighbouring countries. But it so happens, that Thai law applies to everybody who is overstaying.

I was apprehended myself with 45 days overstay earlier this year, but was handed over to immigration at the border, since it was only a few miles away. The arresting officer did make me believe I was going to be deported after paying the fine, but immigration were very kind, made me a coffee while waiting, and set me free with a smile (I had the fine with me in cash). Yes, got a receipt as well, all above board.

This is nothing new . A couple of years back they were doing this regularly at Koh Samui. Its just an easy bust for lazy immigration mib. Theres bound to be 1 or 2 overstayers on every coach. Anybody silly enough to be in overstay should head directly to the airport or do a DIY visa run by car or public bus.

Police raid a bunch of people about to hand themselves in.... ?

EH??????

It has long been reported on these very pages that one overstays ones visa at their own risk. If you make it to the airport or border immigration without being caught it involves most often a fine. But if you are caught by the police by chance or design(police stopping a visa run bus) even a one day overstay can get you a ride to the monkey house. Overstaying your visa is a crime and is just plain stupid.

pgrin

be careful! the police jumped on the Jack Golf visa run bus the other morning and removed 3 persons who had overstayed their visas. they were taken to court, dealt with and deported from  :unsure: the country. however they were not banned and are allowed to re enter the country at any time - funny that as they were on a bloody bus to do just that in the first place!!!!!!!!

I agree whole heartedly with what you say dillon,although I have done a few "visa runs"myself,it is always an iffy situation,naturally,for us and the border guards,even if they are scamming,so it should be too,when all is considered,its not the genuine runners who wreck it,its the ones who exploit and utilise it to their own end.I always feel on edge when I am at any border crossing,let`s face it,we are in their hands,be it good or bad.I think anyone who overstays there visa deserve all they get,with the exception of genuine cases,if I can be there before my visa expires,everyone can.

I agree whole heartedly with what you say dillon,although I have done a few "visa runs"myself,it is always an iffy situation,naturally,for us and the border guards,even if they are scamming,so it should be too,when all is considered,its not the genuine runners who wreck it,its the ones who exploit and utilise it to their own end.I always feel on edge when I am at any border crossing,let`s face it,we are in their hands,be it good or bad.I think anyone who overstays there visa deserve all they get,with the exception of genuine cases,if I can be there before my visa expires,everyone can.

"...its not the genuine runners who wreck it, its the ones who exploit and utilise it to their own end."

:o