Family Of Man In Skytrain Scuffle Threatened

Lite Beer

The part that I don't understand from the below supposed eye witness, is where he is told that he can take half the balloons. Surely if he is told this it makes a mockery of the rule and it is understandable how someone could not take it serious.

It sounds like the Thai guy was trying to compromise - as they often do - and when the Irish guy insisted on having his own way, the guard went ballistic.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally apart from this unfortunate incident, I can't count how many times I've heard through the years this one piece of advice from all kinds of different folks about living in Thailand -- don't show your anger to Thais, even if/when provoked. Keep your cool and composure in public.

Do you think, in light of all the recent events, there might be some good reason for that?

Is taking or not taking balloons on the BTS really something that warrants shouting, anger and trash can kicking, along with whatever else transpired, by a normal, regular kind of guy?

Totally apart from this unfortunate incident, I can't count how many times I've heard through the years this one piece of advice from all kinds of different folks about living in Thailand -- don't show your anger to Thais, even if/when provoked. Keep your cool and composure in public.

Do you think, in light of all the recent events, there might be some good reason for that?

Is taking or not taking balloons on the BTS really something that warrants shouting, anger and trash can kicking, along with whatever else transpired, by a normal, regular kind of guy?

Ole John Conrad was spot on when he said : In the Tropics, whatever happens, never lose your calm.

I am assuming you saw the video that is titled or reports to show the foreigner getting assaulted when in fact it doesn't. It does however show the foreigner assaulting staff. If you look at him when he enters the turn style it is clear he has an injury around his eye before entering. Part of the issue with watching the video a number of times is it really becomes clear at how out of control this guy was and making it impossible to think of anything that could have happened prior to excuse such behavior ... though it certainly doesn't condone any staff that may have assaulted him with what amounts to a weapon before and/or after the video ... at least not here in Thailand.

Maybe I stand corrected and something transpired before he barged through the turnstile as well. It looks like the small security guy who appears to be about 14 years old gave him a good cuff from behind after he pushed past as well. Whatever the details of the scuffle, imho the guy's a complete yob for acting out like that in front of his daughter. It's really disturbing for young kids to see their parents flipping out and getting violent.

The part that I don't understand from the below supposed eye witness, is where he is told that he can take half the balloons. Surely if he is told this it makes a mockery of the rule and it is understandable how someone could not take it serious.

It sounds like the Thai guy was trying to compromise - as they often do - and when the Irish guy insisted on having his own way, the guard went ballistic.

Yes I agree.

The thing I question is if he was just told no those are the rules would the incident have still happened or would he have given up the balloons.

If he was aggressive at this stage or not does it deserve a smack across the face?

If he was aggressive shouldn't he have been restrained instead of attacked?

If the BTS management feel guards did not handle the situation correctly to their employee code of conduct should they be disciplined or fired?

I am sure these are issues the BTS has learned from and hopefully nothing like this will happen again.

Have there actually been any credible witness statements from real people or just anonymous posters and anonymous people writing into bloggers? In other words, has there been any real news statements from eye witnesses who have come forward and made their account available to the police?

Have there actually been any credible witness statements from real people or just anonymous posters and anonymous people writing into bloggers? In other words, has there been any real news statements from eye witnesses who have come forward and made their account available to the police?

Good question. I wonder if that lady Gee Gee has? Something I am unclear of, is she the one who filmed it or just an eye witness?

From what I can make out, John Behan is met by a female transit guard who tells him that he cannot take all of the balloons on the train.

I don't know if this above reference to the female BTS guard being the original point of contact/confrontation is correct...

But if it is, then I'd imagine another element potentially coming into the reaction of the BTS male guard who ultimately clocked the teacher is the male guard sticking up for/defending/protecting his female colleague from a perceived threat. That certainly could have contributed to how things played out.

If the original guard was a woman, forgive me for being a bit chauvinist, but all the more inexcusable was the teacher's original tantrum. The female guards at BTS stations are hardly imposing, burly, threatening or aggressive figures. The ones I regularly encounter on the BTS Suk line usually are pretty diminutive.

From what I can make out, John Behan is met by a female transit guard who tells him that he cannot take all of the balloons on the train.

I don't know if this above reference to the female BTS guard being the original point of contact/confrontation is correct...

But if it is, then I'd imagine another element potentially coming into the reaction of the BTS male guard who ultimately clocked the teacher is the male guard sticking up for/defending/protecting his female colleague from a perceived threat. That certainly could have contributed to how things played out.

If the original guard was a woman, forgive me for being a bit chauvinist, but all the more inexcusable was the teacher's original tantrum. The female guards at BTS stations are hardly imposing, burly, threatening or aggressive figures. The ones I regularly encounter on the BTS Suk line usually are pretty diminutive.

That is all speculation, just as I speculated with a non-credible witness a few posts ago, which Nisa has pointed out.

This is my last post on this topic as I feel I am only fueling the fire to this unfortunate incident.

I just hope all parties involved get through this with with as little damage to their lives that has already happend.

As far as I can see from reading this and other Forums, including a couple of Thai ones, and Andrew Drummond's very one-sided blog, absolutely no-one has come forward with a detailed account of what happened prior to the incidents shown on the hand held camera Video which has been widely seen online - even the most recent Posts on this Thread are merely rehashes and personal interpretations of what is shown in that Video.

Missing from this whole tale is information on what happened before this Video was taken - what provoked the whole sorry situation. Even the Farang who is seen on this Video attempting to restrain Behan has made no public statement; it is reasonable to assume he was present throughout the incident and his silence on the matter may well be significant.

The BTS CCTV system apparently recorded the start of all this but that footage is not yet in the public domain - we do not even know who has seen it. On a Thai Website Behan's wife appears to claim she was invited to view it with her family but surprisingly makes absolutely no comment on what it shows, either on that Website or when she later went to the Thonglor police station to report the alleged telephone threat to her and her family - surely an ideal opportunity to put on record what she saw on that CCTV footage since both she and her husband were interviewed on camera by the press? Andrew Drummond claims that "several people", including a "representative" from Thai TV Channel 3, have seen the footage and implies that he has too, however several requests on this Thread for him to state clearly whether he has or not have been ignored - draw your own conclusions. Channel 3 have also made no comments on what they saw on that CCTV footage - if indeed they did see it.

All we do know about events leading up to this Video mayhem is that Behan and his daughter, plus some friends - exactly how many we do not know - entered the Skytrain system at Surasak, with the balloons, changed trains at Siam and then got off the train at Promphong to eat, after that they attempted to get back on the Skytrain system at Promphong but were told by Security that balloons were not allowed on the train.

After this point there is a gap in our knowledge of what happened up until the Video we have all seen.

Without eyewitness statements - or better yet publication of the CCTV recording of the start of the confrontation - we can all only speculate.

Patrick

• Like 1

Good question. I wonder if that lady Gee Gee has? Something I am unclear of, is she the one who filmed it or just an eye witness?

I just noticed in Drummond's second article it appears he states she is the one who took the video. But I do find it interesting that she said this being a witness;

"The foreigner said he had already travelled <sic> on the BTS to the Emporium with the balloons, but the guard took out his
truncheon
and hit him several times on the side of his head."

But I guess it is possible to mistake a truncheon (club) for a scanner (walkie talkie). As well as mistaken the fact that he didn't actually just go up and take the train after he was hit as she she claims ... at least according to his wife who wasn't there but came to "the scene" afterwards (after being called) to find him bleeding and I believe he also stated he got beat again on the platform and then he finally gave up on getting on the train (not 100% sure on this but believe he said this in his interview). But Gee Gee says ...

"He was bleeding and very angry and his friend held him back from the security guard. They managed to go up the stairs and board a train heading towards Morchit."
Edited by Nisa

So do I - as long as he's not trying to claim compensation. dry.png

I'm not sure what he wants because he says he didn't press charges and doesn't want charges filed against the security guy and also doesn't want him to lose his job but did file a complaint with police at the security company and BTS but also apparently has found the steps BTS has taken since the incident insufficient ... unless more has come out since his last interview.

One thing that is often overlooked in these situations which involve a Falang v Thai (Behan v BTS) is the input of the other half, the Thai spouse. Unless you have a good command of the Thai language, sometimes the best intended input by the better half runs off at a tangent. This is possibly what is happening here, with the Irish guy not really having control.

I should add, as many probably know, it is very easy for witnesses to change their beliefs in what they saw based on what other people say they saw and after seeing a video from a different angle or even from the same. This is clearly one of the reasons why police usually don't release video when they haven't interviewed everyone yet.

As well, reports are always sketchy on things like this initially.

In other words, I am not calling anyone a liar just saying I am not believing everything I am reading at this point and look forward to see videos if and when they are made available. I'll also put more stock into witness statements that come from the police or are from people who went to the police.

But ... has there been any indication why Gee Gee went to Drummond with what he calls an "exclusive" video? I'm assuming this means she only gave it to him and he posted it on Youtube. In fact the video I saw on Youtube started out with a Drummon logo intro.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

I just noticed in Drummond's second article it appears he states she is the one who took the video. But I do find it interesting that she said this being a witness;

"The foreigner said he had already travelled <sic> on the BTS to the Emporium with the balloons, but the guard took out his
truncheon

But I guess it is possible to mistake a truncheon (club) for a scanner (walkie talkie). As well as mistaken the fact that he didn't actually just go up and take the train after he was hit as she she claims ... at least according to his wife who wasn't there but came to "the scene" afterwards (after being called) to find him bleeding and I believe he also stated he got beat again on the platform and then he finally gave up on getting on the train (not 100% sure on this but believe he said this in his interview). But Gee Gee says ...

"He was bleeding and very angry and his friend held him back from the security guard. They managed to go up the stairs and board a train heading towards Morchit."

Gee did not follow them up the stairs I presume to find that he never boarded the train. I asked which direction - she said torward Morchit. It seems truncehons and scanners were used but there is a confusion what was used in each attack

As far as I can see from reading this and other Forums, including a couple of Thai ones, and Andrew Drummond's very one-sided blog, absolutely no-one has come forward with a detailed account of what happened prior to the incidents shown on the hand held camera Video which has been widely seen online - even the most recent Posts on this Thread are merely rehashes and personal interpretations of what is shown in that Video.

Missing from this whole tale is information on what happened before this Video was taken - what provoked the whole sorry situation. Even the Farang who is seen on this Video attempting to restrain Behan has made no public statement; it is reasonable to assume he was present throughout the incident and his silence on the matter may well be significant.

The BTS CCTV system apparently recorded the start of all this but that footage is not yet in the public domain - we do not even know who has seen it. On a Thai Website Behan's wife appears to claim she was invited to view it with her family but surprisingly makes absolutely no comment on what it shows, either on that Website or when she later went to the Thonglor police station to report the alleged telephone threat to her and her family - surely an ideal opportunity to put on record what she saw on that CCTV footage since both she and her husband were interviewed on camera by the press? Andrew Drummond claims that "several people", including a "representative" from Thai TV Channel 3, have seen the footage and implies that he has too, however several requests on this Thread for him to state clearly whether he has or not have been ignored - draw your own conclusions. Channel 3 have also made no comments on what they saw on that CCTV footage - if indeed they did see it.

All we do know about events leading up to this Video mayhem is that Behan and his daughter, plus some friends - exactly how many we do not know - entered the Skytrain system at Surasak, with the balloons, changed trains at Siam and then got off the train at Promphong to eat, after that they attempted to get back on the Skytrain system at Promphong but were told by Security that balloons were not allowed on the train.

After this point there is a gap in our knowledge of what happened up until the Video we have all seen.

Without eyewitness statements - or better yet publication of the CCTV recording of the start of the confrontation - we can all only speculate.

Patrick

But give the old boy some credit on his 'very one sided blog.' The only independent witnesses to this incident to have gone public have gone to Andrew Drummond, not Thaivisa, not pantip plaza , not sanook, not the Bangkok Post or Nation, That way perhaps their words will not be twisted. They wont be put through the wringer or have their integrity questioned by armchair critics and internet warriors. And the right people read the site. The witnesses of course are Gee Gee a Thai and Pho Cho Phyu the Burmese woman featured heavily in the video....and what more they both think excessive violence was used.

Why so quick to violence? Maybe it is just a part of the culture here. I notice the tv shows here contain a lot of violent subjects. It's shown as if it's funny or something when somebody has blood coming out of their mouths. :yikes:

Well, guess that's the price you pay for that 'low cost of living' everyone likes to talk about. You want a 1st rate standard of living and safety in Asia you're going to have to move to Singapore.

truncheon

Gee did not follow them up the stairs I presume to find that he never boarded the train. I asked which direction - she said torward Morchit. It seems truncehons and scanners were used but there is a confusion what was used in each attack

Thanks, this actually clears up some questions and puts more stock in her account.

Why so quick to violence? Maybe it is just a part of the culture here. I notice the tv shows here contain a lot of violent subjects. It's shown as if it's funny or something when somebody has blood coming out of their mouths. :yikes:

Well, guess that's the price you pay for that 'low cost of living' everyone likes to talk about. You want a 1st rate standard of living and safety in Asia you're going to have to move to Singapore.

You are kidding right? Should we assume that it is Irish culture that all Irishmen can't follow simple directions because of this person's mistake that probably captured one of his worst 3-minutes in life on video for everyone to see? As for movies, do they not have Hollywood movies where you are from? Most Thai movies I see are either cartoonish comedys (but real life) or scary unreal stuff. On TV they censor guns and knives if pointed at people ... do they do this where you are from? Do people not misbehave where you are from or Singapore for that matter? I actually got robbed in Singapore being there only a few weeks but in numerous years in Thailand never had had one violent incident or theft. Should I judge a culture based on this limited view?

But give the old boy some credit on his 'very one sided blog.' The only independent witnesses to this incident to have gone public have gone to Andrew Drummond, not Thaivisa, not pantip plaza , not sanook, not the Bangkok Post or Nation, That way perhaps their words will not be twisted. They wont be put through the wringer or have their integrity questioned by armchair critics and internet warriors. And the right people read the site. The witnesses of course are Gee Gee a Thai and Pho Cho Phyu the Burmese woman featured heavily in the video....and what more they both think excessive violence was used.

But do they not think the Irish Guy also acted badly and violently?

It seems the idea to "reveal the brutality of BTS security personnel" by putting this video online thoroughly backfired. Now those who think that "farangs" in Thailand cannot behave decently have a nice little movie to prove it. And it is highly unlikely the public will see any security cam footage that might put the whole affair into another perspective.

Mr. Behan will have to go a long way to settle this affair. Wherever he may be teaching in the future, he can be sure at least one student has his one-man-show on his smartphone - "Teacher fighting for the "Right to Bear Balloons"...

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

It seems the idea to "reveal the brutality of BTS security personnel" by putting this video online thoroughly backfired. Now those who think that "farangs" in Thailand cannot behave decently have a nice little movie to prove it. And it is highly unlikely the public will see any security cam footage that might put the whole affair into another perspective.

Mr. Behan will have to go a long way to settle this affair. Wherever he may be teaching in the future, he can be sure at least one student has his one-man-show on his smartphone - "Teacher fighting for the "Right to Bear Balloons"...

Sadly, I don't think even posting the full videos of every person in the station with a camera phone and all the BTS cameras are going to change that many people's minds about anything despite what is on the tapes or what is not.

Me personally, I can't imagine anything that could be on the tapes that can excuse this guys behavior in this 1 video but there likely may be something on the tapes that would make me feel just or possible more disgusted with other(s) behavior.

I feel a bit bad for just about anybody though (even if I am also appalled) by video that goes viral showing, what I'd like to believe, are likely somebody's worst few minutes in life.

Edited by Nisa

Sadly, I don't think even posting the full videos of every person in the station with a camera phone and all the BTS cameras are going to change that many people's minds about anything despite what is on the tapes or what is not.

Me personally, I can't imagine anything that could be on the tapes that can excuse this guys behavior in this 1 video but there likely may be something on the tapes that would make me feel just or possible more disgusted with other(s) behavior.

I feel a bit bad for just about anybody though (even if I am also appalled) by video that goes viral showing, what I'd like to believe, are likely somebody's worst few minutes in life.

Me personally, I can't imagine anything that could be on the tapes that can excuse this guys behavior in this 1 video

well try and stretch that imagination then,

can you not imagine that the guy got clobbered, splitting his brow, in front of hist child for trying to keep his child's balloons.

none of us know what happened first, yet, but you said you can't even imagine anything that could excuse his behaviour!

would that not excuse anger and lashing out?

i say unless he struck any security personal first, he has every right to be that angry, and more, in the vid that we've seen.

until we see what happened first, people judging him based on half evidence, should put a sock in it.

if he kicked a bin as some rumour it, then they should have called the police.

unless a staff member was assaulted by him first, and by that i mean punched or kicked.. then he had every right to go crazy for getting his face busted open... considering his little girl was watching it all.

i'll reserve my judgement on this man until we see all the evidence

and may god help anyone that faces a court where posters from this thread get called for jury duty... (yes, i don't mean in thailand)

Edited by nurofiend
  • Like 1

...On a Thai Website Behan's wife appears to claim she was invited to view it with her family but surprisingly makes absolutely no comment on what it shows...

Patrick

As I understood her account with regard to the CCTV, she mentions...inter alia..seeing them go in and out of the BTS stations before Phrom Phong and also mentions him kicking a black bin over and the balloons floating to the ground at the aforementioned station etc

Me personally, I can't imagine anything that could be on the tapes that can excuse this guys behavior in this 1 video

well try and stretch that imagination then,

can you not imagine that the guy got clobbered, splitting his brow, in front of hist child for trying to keep his child's balloons.

none of us know what happened first, yet, but you said you can't even imagine anything that could excuse his behaviour!

would that not excuse anger and lashing out?

i say unless he struck any security personal first, he has every right to be that angry, and more, in the vid that we've seen.

until we see what happened first, people judging him based on half evidence, should put a sock in it.

if he kicked a bin as some rumour it, then they should have called the police.

unless a staff member was assaulted by him first, and by that i mean punched or kicked.. then he had every right to go crazy for getting his face busted open... considering his little girl was watching it all.

i'll reserve my judgement on this man until we see all the evidence

and may god help anyone that faces a court where posters from this thread get called for jury duty... (yes, i don't mean in thailand)

Let us not forget the guys own words where he admits he did wrong and there was nothing he said that even hinted at anything happening before the incident that we hadn't already suspected happened (he displayed his anger about not being allowed to pass with the balloons and he got hit with what amounted to a weapon) with of course details missing.

No scenario you mention or has he, in my mind, can excuse his behavior of forcing his way into a public transportation facility after being told not to enter and then going on to assault staff who clearly are not posing him any current threat. Even if all the staff he is trying to attack in the video had hit him for no reason at all prior to the tape rolling and not because he got defiant and refused to adhere to rules, I still could not excuse his behavior. Being mad doesn't give you the right to act this way. Being struck by somebody doesn't entitle you to seek revenge this way. Sorry but it is simply inexcusable and more so because he is behaving this way with his child in tow. But I cannot stress that his behavior in anyway negates any wrongs done to him just as wrongs done to him don't excuse his behavior. Nothing we see by him in this video is self-defense.

I am not saying this guy deserves to be shot or deserved to get hit but what I am saying is his actions are not acceptable and there is no excuse for acting the way he did. He was wrong but that by no means indicates other(s) were not also just as wrong and possibly more wrong and we may see that on the tapes.

Edited by Nisa

Let us not forget the guys own words where he admits he did wrong and there was nothing he said that even hinted at anything happening before the incident that we already suspect happened (he displayed his anger about not being allowed to pass with the balloons and he got hit with what amounted to a weapon) with of course details missing.

No scenario you mention or has he, in my mind, can excuse his behavior of forcing his way into a public transportation facility after being told not to enter and then going on to assault staff who clearly are not posing him any current threat. Even if all the staff he is trying to attack in the video had hit him for no reason at all prior to the tape rolling and not because he got defiant and refused to adhere to rules, I still could not excuse his behavior. Being mad doesn't give you the right to act this way. Being struck by somebody doesn't entitle you to seek revenge this way. Sorry but it is simply inexcusable and more so because he is behaving this way with his child in tow. But I cannot stress that his behavior in anyway negates any wrongs done to him just as I cannot excuse any wrongs done to him because of his wrong doings.

I am not saying this guy deserves to be shot or deserved to get hit but what I am saying is his actions are not acceptable and there is no excuse for acting the way he did. He was wrong but that by no means indicates other(s) were not also just as wrong and possibly more wrong and we may see that on the tapes.

well i disagree, if you feel you were unjustly walloped on the head by staff in front of your little girl on what was a special day for her and seeing the blood trickle down over your eye... i think it you'd need to be buddha himself to not act aggressively in the aftermath.

a whack on the head like that would send your adrenaline sky-high... what would you have done, just relaxed and smiled at the staff, laughed it all off maybe and ran off into the sunset?.. being so in control of your emotions as you must be.

well i disagree, if you feel you were unjustly walloped on the head by staff in front of your little girl on what was a special day for her and seeing the blood trickle down over your eye... i think it you'd need to be buddha himself to not act aggressively in the aftermath.

a whack on the head like that would send your adrenaline sky-high... what would you have done, just relaxed and smiled at the staff, laughed it all off maybe and ran off into the sunset?.. being so in control of your emotions as you must be.

Do you think it is worth saving the video to show your 7 year old children or grandchildren as a teaching tool to show how they should act if they ever get hit or somebody tries to tell them they can't take their balloons on a plane or other public transportation?

Having understanding for the guy being upset is one thing, condoning his behavior is entirely different. And I am far from a Bhudda and got in many fights when I was young and dumb but when I had children I learned to set an example, control my temper and avoid conflict ... now that my children have grown, I've also found this is a much much happier way to live. One way gets you home with the balloons via a taxi and the other gets you sent to the hospital with your little girl witnessing some horrible behavior including having the little girl walk over to the station staff (I believe terminal manager) and hand him her balloons as if to be an adult then only to see her dad throw a kick at the guys chest. It doesn't take Bhudda to behave in sociably & legally acceptable ways. The overwhelming majority of people on the planet do it every day including those who have crimes committed against them.

Edit: But we certainly can agree to disagree. I was just hoping we understood each other and what I meant by excusable or acceptable and that I am no way judging this guy to be the only one at fault.

Edited by Nisa

Do you think it is worth saving the video to show your 7 year old children or grandchildren as a teaching tool to show how they should act if they ever get hit or somebody tries to tell them they can't take their balloons on a plane or other public transportation?

Having understanding for the guy being upset is one thing, condoning his behavior is entirely different. And I am far from a Bhudda and got in many fights when I was young and dumb but when I had children I learned to set an example, control my temper and avoid conflict ... now that my children have grown, I've also found this is a much much happier way to live. One way gets you home with the balloons via a taxi and the other gets you sent to the hospital with your little girl witnessing some horrible behavior including having the little girl walk over to the station staff (I believe terminal manager) and hand him her balloons as if to be an adult then only to see her dad throw a kick at the guys chest. It doesn't take Bhudda to behave in sociably & legally acceptable ways. The overwhelming majority of people on the planet do it every day including those who have crimes committed against them.

yeah... that's precisely what i think....

what i think is that when you get a severe blow to your head, you're not thinking clearly about the pro's on con's of your following actions.

stating that you've been in fights when you were younger should show that you understand things tend to become a blur.

It doesn't take Bhudda to behave in sociably & legally acceptable ways

no, i never said it does.. what i was getting at is that it would take someone of an extreme calmness, not to act out after a blow like that to the head.

Edited by nurofiend