Why You Need A "Return" Ticket For Thailand

I'm from the USA. I have a question again about having a Tourist Visa Stamp with 2 or three entries .I'm not talking about a 30 day tourist visa on arrival . Below is the requirements from the staralliance site .Can someone please tell me where it says a onward or returning ticket is not required if having a Tourist Visa Stamp. It looks to me that one needs to "show" leaving Thailand . Its just doesn't make sense to me. I think many airline check in employees at departure gates have the same problem ,its not described well enough. I think it needs to be revised with passengers are not required to have etc.etc. . I have a feeling I'm missing something here and more then likely its very obvious to you members who have tossed this around.

http://www.starallia...isa-and-health/

Passport required.

- Nationals of USA must hold passports and/or passport

replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days:

Additional Information:

- ACMECS Single Visa issued by Cambodia and Thailand are valid

for 90 days from the date of issue and are valid for a stay

of 60 days in Thailand. Holders of visas isssued by Cambodia

(marked KHA) will be required to pay their fee for Thailand

upon arrival in Thailand.

- Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents

for their next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold

sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.-

per person or THB 20,000.- per family).

For details, click here

- For those who do not require a visaFor details, click here

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

That is interesting...that ACMES visa sounds like the combined Cambodia THailand visa that was mentioned previously and then when quiet. Has it been introduced?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

But it is only for single entry tourist visas.

It is not really all that great because you only get pre-approval for your visa to Cambodia and have to pay for it on entry like it says above.

Edit: I have tried to find info on a few Thai embassy and consulate websites but have had no luck yet.

Edited by ubonjoe

Forgive me if I am being naive, but if the airline insists you have proof of onward flight why don't you dodge over to Cheapo Airlines and book a flight Bangkok - Phnom Pen? Back in 20 minutes and ready to go. ?

• Like 1

So much confusion on this issue. I have been flying and bussing in and out of Thailand for almost 4 years now. I have been refused boarding a flight to Bkk once only and had to buy an onward flight. No problem to get a full fare to an adjoining capitol on the credit card and get a full refund. I have taken many flights and my experience tells me that it is incredibly random. It depends on the country of departure, the airline used, the mood of the checking staff, etc. Be prepared to have to book an onward flight - get it set up on your laptop/mobile so you only have to click "pay" if needed. I have NEVER been asked for anything to do with onward travel at Thai immigration when getting my 30 day permit-to-enter. I heard that there is a requirement to show 20,000Baht, but has never been enforced as far as I know.

For what it's worth - I know one guy who went to Bkk and he had previously bought a bus ticket to Cambodia to show onward travel w00t.gif

Onward flight is only needed if you don't have a visa. With a visa a ticket out is not required.

If you have a visa and the person at the counter says you need it then ask for a supervisor to get things sorted out.

From the agents point of view a long term retiree here with only a current EXTENSION (and reentry PERMIT) and a VISA that is clearly long ago "used" according to the stamps, does NOT have a visa. I don't travel that much but I had the same kind of issue, only much milder, with a USA boarding agent who didn't really understand the reentry permit as a visa. I don't know the answer except to be prepared to teach them about the system here and try to convince them it's legit.

Edited by Jingthing

Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents

for their next destination.

That is the onward ticket requirement - only for those using the visa exempt entry - if you use a visa you do not require documents for next destination. The airline state the requirements.

As for re-entry permit indeed some do not know what that is and that it is indeed a form of visa - I have had boarding issue with Eva many years ago because of this but they were able to accept after I explained and they took to higher level.

• Like 1

Here is a link from IATA website that give same info as the one posted earlier. A print out from this site might carry more weight than the Star Alliance one.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

But this appears nonsensical for those of us on retirement extensions seeking to check the requirements for our return flight to Thailand from abroad. What are we supposed to enter for "Duration of stay" for example - "Indefinite"?

And neither of the 3 drop-down options for "Purpose of stay" (Tourism/vacation, Business or Duty) seem applicable (with the possible exception of the last one in my Thai wife's eyes) in my case!!

On an extension of stay means you are under the same category as having a valid visa for Thailand.

OK, but it is fundamentally unacceptable IMHO that we longstay non-immigrant retirees or spouses of Thai nationals should be placed in the invidious position of having to convince airline check-in staff that the latest extension of stay and re-entry permit stamps in our passports = visas for the purposes of boarding return flights to Thailand. Even more scandalous is the situation mentioned by some posters who were expected to waste even more money on unused tickets for onward travel out of Thailand, just so that they could board their return flights in lieu of what the check-in staff deemed to be acceptable visas!

In my eyes the blame for this ridiculous state of affairs lies not with the airlines but with the fundamental eccentricities of the Thai immigration system. Visas granted to foreign nationals by most countries mean exactly what they say on the tin: namely that the holder may enter the country on or after a specific date and must leave by a second date stated in the visa. Clear, straightforward and uncomplicated. However, Thailand insists, for reasons which escape me, on having a weird and convoluted system based on visa usage dates, which has led to much confusion and uncertainty as has been demonstrated time and time again on this particular forum.

Why on earth, when we seek annual extensions of stay, can our local immigration offices not simply affix in our passports new visas (single-entry or multi-entry) covering the period of the extension, in line with the practice followed by virtually every other country on the planet, instead of faffing around with a messy and bureaucratic system of extension of stay and re-entry permit stamps? Since this appears to be a particular problem for you Americans returning to Thailand from trips to the States, maybe your Embassy should take this absurd situation up with the Thai Immigration powers-that-be. After all, judging from their recent success in obtaining an extension of the validity period for Embassy proof of income letters from 15 days to 6 months, they obviously carry considerable clout and influence!

At the moment I am in Paris and now dreading, in the light of this thread, what lies in store for me at CDG next Saturday when I attempt to check-in and board my return flights to Thailand with China Southern Airlines. True I had no problem when returning from last year's European trip with Gulf Air, but I did experience some difficulty when checking-in at LGW for return flights from the UK to Thailand with Emirates in 2010.

Edited by OJAS

A personal experience two weeks ago

I read much about this subject on TV and Thai Consulate websites that issue a warning about one-way flights.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20130520184044

I was flying from China (NNG-CAN-BBK-KKN).

As advised, I checked with the Thai Consulate in Nanning who said they prefer to issue visas with a outward flight confirmed. (non-imm 'O' single entry)

I also checked with China Southern Airways who said I would need a confirmed outward flight to board in Guangzhou.

To be safe, I booked the cheapest outward flight I could find : BKK - HAN fully refundable.

I was never asked at any time for onward travel arrangements or outbound flight details by immigration or the airline.facepalm.gif

On an extension of stay means you are under the same category as having a valid visa for Thailand.

OK, but it is fundamentally unacceptable IMHO that we longstay non-immigrant retirees or spouses of Thai nationals should be placed in the invidious position of having to convince airline check-in staff that the latest extension of stay and re-entry permit stamps in our passports = visas for the purposes of boarding return flights to Thailand. Even more scandalous is the situation mentioned by some posters who were expected to waste even more money on unused tickets for onward travel out of Thailand, just so that they could board their return flights in lieu of what the check-in staff deemed to be acceptable visas!

In my eyes the blame for this ridiculous state of affairs lies not with the airlines but with the fundamental eccentricities of the Thai immigration system. Visas granted to foreign nationals by most countries mean exactly what they say on the tin: namely that the holder may enter the country on or after a specific date and must leave by a second date stated in the visa. Clear, straightforward and uncomplicated. However, Thailand insists, for reasons which escape me, on having a weird and convoluted system based on visa usage dates, which has led to much confusion and uncertainty as has been demonstrated time and time again on this particular forum.

Why on earth, when we seek annual extensions of stay, can our local immigration offices not simply affix in our passports new visas (single-entry or multi-entry) covering the period of the extension, in line with the practice followed by virtually every other country on the planet, instead of faffing around with a messy and bureaucratic system of extension of stay and re-entry permit stamps? Since this appears to be a particular problem for you Americans returning to Thailand from trips to the States, maybe your Embassy should take this absurd situation up with the Thai Immigration powers-that-be. After all, judging from their recent success in obtaining an extension of the validity period for Embassy proof of income letters from 15 days to 6 months, they obviously carry considerable clout and influence!

At the moment I am in Paris and now dreading, in the light of this thread, what lies in store for me at CDG next Saturday when I attempt to check-in and board my return flights to Thailand with China Southern Airlines. True I had no problem when returning from last year's European trip with Gulf Air, but I did experience some difficulty when checking-in at LGW for return flights from the UK to Thailand with Emirates in 2010.

It can all be blamed on the immigration act of 1979. Everything from re-entry permits, 90 day reports and etc. is there. Download and read Immigration Act 2522

This means that in order to change things requires a new or amended act which requires legislative action and political will to do it.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

I read much about this subject on TV and Thai Consulate websites that issue a warning about one-way flights.

As advised, I checked with the Thai Consulate in Nanning who said they prefer to issue visas with a outward flight confirmed. (non-imm 'O' single entry)

I also checked with China Southern Airways who said I would need a confirmed outward flight to board in Guangzhou.

To be safe, I booked the cheapest outward flight I could find : BKK - HAN fully refundable.

I was never asked at any time for onward travel arrangements or outbound flight details by immigration or the airline.facepalm.gif

Many thanks for this reassuring info. My fingers are firmly crossed that my experiences with CSA at CDG on Saturday will be likewise.

However, it does sound daft to me that a Thai consulate prefers to issue visas with an outward flight confirmed, when it is their country's own eccentric immigration laws which are the root cause of the problem!

It can all be blamed on the immigration act of 1979. Everything from re-entry permits, 90 day reports and etc. is there. Download and read Immigration Act 2522

This means that in order to change things requires a new or amended act which requires legislative action and political will to do it.

And presumably the political will for any change is unlikely to come from within since Thai nationals are not, of course, affected. So that means that pressure would need to be applied from outside. And who better to do this IMHO than the American Embassy in Bangkok?

In any event, since this is a problem which is clearly not likely to go away any time soon, I wonder whether the most practical solution to the possibility of being bumped off return flights would be to forget about re-entry permits altogether and start afresh with a new "O" visa each time we travelled abroad. Sure this might be inconvenient, but, there again, so can obtaining re-entry permits, not to mention onward tickets. And I am sure that the cost of a new "O" visa would be a fraction of that of an unused onward ticket!

Depending on how I get on at CDG next Saturday, this sounds like an option which I for one might seriously consider for future foreign trips.

And presumably the political will for any change is unlikely to come from within since Thai nationals are not, of course, affected. So that means that pressure would need to be applied from outside. And who better to do this IMHO than the American Embassy in Bangkok?

In any event, since this is a problem which is clearly not likely to go away any time soon, I wonder whether the most practical solution to the possibility of being bumped off return flights would be to forget about re-entry permits altogether and start afresh with a new "O" visa each time we travelled abroad. Sure this might be inconvenient, but, there again, so can obtaining re-entry permits, not to mention onward tickets. And I am sure that the cost of a new "O" visa would be a fraction of that of an unused onward ticket!

Depending on how I get on at CDG next Saturday, this sounds like an option which I for one might seriously consider for future foreign trips.

You're worrying unnecessarily. From my experience, in most cases your re-entry permit won't be checked at all. In some cases, the check-in staff will ask you because they don't recognise or can't readily locate the stamp and very occasionally they will seek confirmation from the flight manager that the re-entry is valid. There is no chance that you will be denied boarding.

Edited by Dork

You're worrying unnecessarily. From my experience, in most cases your re-entry permit won't be checked at all. In some cases, the check-in staff will ask you because they don't recognise or can't readily locate the stamp and very occasionally they will seek confirmation from the flight manager that the re-entry is valid. There is no chance that you will be denied boarding.

I tend to agree with you for the most part.

I don't recall even one report here EVER that a reeentry permit holder was denied boarding. But yes, be prepared to be questioned and be prepared to be confident in your right to board.

However the report here of a major hassle about that, and I think that might have been the first such report here, is not exactly happy making.

Edited by Jingthing

Many thanks for this reassuring info. My fingers are firmly crossed that my experiences with CSA at CDG on Saturday will be likewise.

However, it does sound daft to me that a Thai consulate prefers to issue visas with an outward flight confirmed, when it is their country's own eccentric immigration laws which are the root cause of the problem!

I agree it just happened to me .The consul in Boston said I needed a return ticket .The Thai Embassy in LA,USA said they don't give triple only double entry visa's while the Boston consul said they give triple's . I read on a few posts that the Portland ,Oregon Embassy isn't as strict .I'm like OMG! Why can't it be all one.Re entry permits, retirement visa's, visa stamps,onward and return tickets are all subjected to hassles at times. Some Airlines are a problem when they try to inter prate the rules and requirements.Some people believe that the airlines can't refuse boarding if you posses a visa that's up for debate as well. There is nothing constant .Contradictory facts and opinions.I'm sorry its very frustrating.All I want is to just follow the rules and go to Thailand is that asking to much :-)

A few making a big to do about nothing here, and then it becomes immigrations fault because of laws passed by politicians. Last year when leaving the Philippines back to heaven I mean Bangkok the staff asked me about my onward travel plans and I very carefully explained and showed her my permission to stay and how long it was for and the one before and how you renew each year, it took her a few minutes to understand but eventually she grasped my explanation and said ok. Contrary to information posted on many threads the English level in the Philippines isn't much better than Thailand.

It does help if the traveler understands the visa rules and boarding rules of the country they are flying to and the airline they are boarding. Last night while talking to a man I know he didn't even realize that he was in Thailand on a retirement extension of stay and thought he had to leave on the 13 of July because his visa was expiring. Looking at his copy I explained to him what was up and get to immigration before the 13th and renew.

Knowing the rules and understanding them makes life easier.

I travel extensively to Thailand on one way tickets from the UK no questions asked,as it is I'm here presently on a 30 day visa exemption,as we have just had a baby I will be staying until at least mid to end of August,I shall go to Laos soon to obtain a visa,works for me.

It's not "nothing" to be aware you may be challenged and required to explain even when your boarding is totally legitimate, but at this point based on reports over the years, it's not a big deal either. Also, it is of more concern based on where you are flying from, particularly the USA.

Edited by Jingthing

It does help if the traveler understands the visa rules and boarding rules of the country they are flying to

It also helps if airline check-in staff also understand these rules without the need for "very careful" explanations on travellers' parts IMHO.

Edited by OJAS

It does help if the traveler understands the visa rules and boarding rules of the country they are flying to

It also helps if airline check-in staff also understand these rules without the need for "very careful" explanations on travellers' parts IMHO.

That would be nice, yes. But not all do. However, it still doesn't appear that people have actually been denied boarding after challenging the challenges.

When flying out of China, the airline check-in staff usually issue boarding passes to all foreigners not requiring a visa for entering Thailand and don't check on their onward travel plans (they kind of think as foreigners, why should we care about their movements after they land in Thailand?) but are strict with their own nationals i.e. even though Thailand offers a 15-day visa on arrival for Chinese nationals, airlines departing from China to Thailand do not allow Chinese visitors to depart China without a visa in their passports, even if they have a return ticket.

• 2 months later...

Yes, the check in agent looks at the computer, and checks if you have a return ticket with them, if not, they may ask you (depending if they are diligent at their job, or their airline is diligent in complying with the requirement).

In fact, one flight, not to Thailand, I was made to go to the Internet Kiosk and print the return ticket, because Immigration in the destination country don't have access to the airline booking sysytem and require PROOF of a return ticket (not just that you have one). I wonder if that will become the norm...

If asked (which is seldom), I tell them that I'm going by bus to Laos. Which I usually am...

So no, the return ticket is not necessary IMHO.

I tried this one, I was actually planning to go to Laos, I was eligible for 3 months visa exempt on arrival, I was able to buy a return ticket for the same price a day or 3 months in advance... The response from the check in girl was that, unless you are a good swimmer, eventually you need a flight back to Australia, and Thai immigration may refuse entry if you don't have that... that was their position, and was not negotiable... I had to go and buy a return ticket before they would give me a boarding pass... If you are going to try a one way ticket from Australia (with Jetstar, BA, or Qantas), I suggest you have the cash and the time to buy the return leg if you want to board...

I've flown from Australia to Thailand on a one-way ticket (actually the return ticket for an Australian trip) many times, 3 times in the last year alone, and have never been questioned and no one asked me if I had a visa for Thailand.

Requirements depend on your nationality and the intended length of your stay in the Philippines. If you wish you can check the requirements yourself on http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/, which uses the same database that is also used by the check-in staff of airlines.

Whenever I fly from Thailand to the Philippines they always check that I have a ticket exiting the Philippines.