Non-B And Wp Order And More

Hi all there,

I am currently holding a tourist visa and I am going to be employed by a small Thai company. My visa is due in a little more than a week although I am going to extend it for a month. I am worried because it looks to me I know more about how to request the visa and WP than them :S

They are now just waiting for the document stating they have the 2m THB, they just added the capital because until now they didn't have any foreign worker. The boss told me they are going to apply for the WP first, and that this takes 1 or months and I will need to go to Cambodia to get a new tourist visa. For what I understand I need to get a letter from them stating that they are going to employ me and then go to an embassy outside Thailand and apply for the non-B, is it like that? How much time should this take?

If my assumption is right, once I get the visa the company should apply for the WP. At this stage can I be on the country or should I be outside (I read something about "the applicant has not yet entered the kingdom" on the WP form). When they get a reply stating the request has been accepted for processing, can I start working or I must wait until I get a final confirmation and the so-called book?

Please, throw some light here as I am kinda lost and worried because of my current visa expiring soon.

Thanks so much in advance :-)

If you have a tourist visa, you can extend it by 30 day at immigration for 1,900 baht.

Once you have the work permit application form from the labou office, you can apply for a non-immigrant B visa in a neighbouring country (You will need extra documents form the company).

Once you have the non-B visa you return to Thailand and get stamped in for 90 days and pick-up the work eprmit at the labour office. After 60 days you can apply for an extension of stay from immigration.

You are not allowed to work without a valid work permit and non-immigrant visa.

Thanks for replying Mario!

So I apply for the Work Permit first and they will give me this WP3 form, and I should use that form when requesting the visa in a neighbouring country, is that correct?

Do you have any idea on how long it takes to get that form after the WP request is accepted? How about the visa?

About the extension, the first stamp will be 90 days regardless of the duration of the visa? If I get a one year extension do I still need to get out of the country every 90 days?

My passport is less than one year to expire, I guess I will only get a 90 days visa, right? Is it possible to apply for the WP with this one and then make a new one to apply for the visa in order to get a one year valid visa? I worry about the timing but I guess I should have enough time to get a new passport and then apply for the WP and for the visa after that, what do you think?

Sorry, lots of questions and worries in my head. Thanks again!

If you have a tourist visa, you can extend it by 30 day at immigration for 1,900 baht.

Once you have the work permit application form from the labou office, you can apply for a non-immigrant B visa in a neighbouring country (You will need extra documents form the company).

Once you have the non-B visa you return to Thailand and get stamped in for 90 days and pick-up the work eprmit at the labour office. After 60 days you can apply for an extension of stay from immigration.

You are not allowed to work without a valid work permit and non-immigrant visa.

Mario, I will bow to your greater knowledge, but just to mention that every job I've had over here I had the work permit in my hands within two weeks of starting the process. All were done in the Rayong/Maptaphut area. The longest was in Bangkok, about a month from start to finish. I would be concerned if the company told me it would be two months before I got the permit and it would be ok to work during that time.

Hopefully I will be starting work again soon and I will post on how long etc, ok lucky I have an 'O' extension and that should make it easier.

"Do you have any idea on how long it takes to get that form after the WP request is accepted?"

If they except the application, they give you the form.

"How about the visa?"

You file all the papers one day, if everything is ok I think you pick up the visa the following day. that might vary a bit by consulate.

"About the extension, the first stamp will be 90 days regardless of the duration of the visa?"

You are talking about two different things. Once you get a visa, the first stamp will be for 90 days. That is a permission to stay and is not an extension.

"If I get a one year extension do I still need to get out of the country every 90 days?"

No, not if you get an extension from an immigration office.

You can not obtain a one year extension or multi entry visa in your current passport (although it could be extended to expiration date of passport and be used to obtain work permit) so you should plan on a new passport during that first 90 day entry.

Thanks for replying Mario!

So I apply for the Work Permit first and they will give me this WP3 form, and I should use that form when requesting the visa in a neighbouring country, is that correct?

Do you have any idea on how long it takes to get that form after the WP request is accepted? How about the visa?

About the extension, the first stamp will be 90 days regardless of the duration of the visa? If I get a one year extension do I still need to get out of the country every 90 days?

My passport is less than one year to expire, I guess I will only get a 90 days visa, right? Is it possible to apply for the WP with this one and then make a new one to apply for the visa in order to get a one year valid visa? I worry about the timing but I guess I should have enough time to get a new passport and then apply for the WP and for the visa after that, what do you think?

Sorry, lots of questions and worries in my head. Thanks again!

As soon as your Work Permit application (made using form WP3) is accepted by Labour, then you will be issued with a WP3 Receipt (A5 sized piece of paper) which can be used to apply for the 90 day Single Entry Non B Visa at a Thai Consulate.

It can take a few attempts to get the paperwork correct for Labour and thus can take anything from a few days to a few months before the WP3 receipt is issued; if your current entry is soon up then this may be why your employer is advising you to apply for a Tourist Visa.

No specific Visa is required for the Work Permit application itself, but you will need a Non B 90 day entry for the Work Permit to be actually issued.

Once you have your WP, then you should have plenty of time to get a new passport during your 90 day non B entry.