Songkran....Who Is Playing And Who Is Not

Huayrat

Bring it on.....got the pickup primed....big buckets cleaned n ready....greased n oiled the pump action terminator.....ice store sorted and waiting.......tis a hoot.....thank god the grumpy old bastards will be locked away peeking behind the curtains....or left town.

Diddums...if you get a bit wet.....I can understand the poms not liking it.

You forgot a very important item: making sure your medical insurance is paid up to date....with that attitude, you will likely need it.

Yes it is up to date and thanks for your concern.....yes....such a bad attitude I have to enjoy the best time of year in Thailand.

Probably is the best time of the year in Thailand...for 7 year olds...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic inflammatory troll posts removed, be warned now, further posts in the same vein will earn that poster a posting holiday. You know who you are!

Bring it on.....got the pickup primed....big buckets cleaned n ready....greased n oiled the pump action terminator.....ice store sorted and waiting.......tis a hoot.....thank god the grumpy old bastards will be locked away peeking behind the curtains....or left town.

You forgot a very important item: making sure your medical insurance is paid up to date....with that attitude, you will likely need it.

Yes it is up to date and thanks for your concern.....yes....such a bad attitude I have to enjoy the best time of year in Thailand.

Probably is the best time of the year in Thailand...for 7 year olds...

Yes...my 7yo and my 10yo have an awesome time and I take them out to enjoy it as they are too young to drive themselves yet.

I also enjoy it greatly with them and anyone that thinks it is all the foreigners fault....very narrow view of the world.

anyone that thinks it is all the foreigners fault....very narrow view of the world.

The fact that it lasts 7 days in Pattaya but only 3 days at most in all the other areas of Thailand has everything to do with the idiot farang influence in Pattaya.

You might want to review the Songran FAQ.

anyone that thinks it is all the foreigners fault....very narrow view of the world.

The fact that it lasts 7 days in Pattaya but only 3 days at most in all the other areas of Thailand has everything to do with the idiot farang influence in Pattaya.

Pattaya is not ALL thailand is it now and to judge ALL of thailand on pattaya...well....that is up to you and your choices in life hey ??

Pattaya is not ALL thailand is it now

That is my point. And there is a reason it isn't, a reason which you were trying to discount.

and to judge ALL of thailand on pattaya...well....that is up to you and your choices in life hey ??

You have it exactly backwards. It's judging Songkran in Pattaya, where it is by far the worst, based on Songkran in the rest of Thailand.

You forget Chiang Mai. I don't have nothing against people who want to play water, but I hate risking my life every 200m on the road while driving my bike.

• Like 1

and to judge ALL of thailand on pattaya...well....that is up to you and your choices in life hey ??

You have it exactly backwards. It's judging Songkran in Pattaya, where it is by far the worst, based on Songkran in the rest of Thailand.

and by default you are all saying that it is bad everywhere because of it....granted 7 days is too much and too full on...but everyone in this thread is saying it is best to leave thailand or stay indoors WHEREVER you are because it is such a bad time of year and some of you state that it is all the idiot farangs fault.

That is simply not true.

and by default you are all saying that it is bad everywhere because of it....

No; you're still confused, not surprisingly.

granted 7 days is too much and too full on...

YES

but everyone in this thread is saying it is best to leave thailand or stay indoors WHEREVER you are because it is such a bad time of year and some of you state that it is all the idiot farangs fault.

That is simply not true.

Songkran lasts 7 days in PTY largely but not exclusively because of the idiot farangs, yes. Directly, as active participants who start it early--and indirectly because of the vast bar scene they support with the hordes of bar girls they encourage, actively or not.

This thread is in the PTY forum and, your exaggerations notwithstanding, we're talking about PTY, not everywhere in Thailand except to underline the contrast and the reason for it.

True, some have suggested escaping to smaller towns in Thailand with mild, brief Songkran festivals. That's a real possibilty but there's nothing to do in a small town for 7 days, not to address the question of which town, how to get there, where to stay; you'd be mostly sitting in your hotel room, so might as well just hole up in PTY. Most of us PTY denizens would be bored to death in a small Thai town, whereas Angeles, Cebu, PP, Hanoi, HCMC, Vung Tau offer quite enough to keep one well satisfied. Some of us even like Penang; I've spent several Songkrans there (away from the local Thai wat). Not much nightlife, but it's both quaint and modern, has some great food and much of interest if you're in the least thoughtful.

Cheers! smile.png

Dont let the super pumper get you in the back on your way out....squirt squirt..

You're driving the pick-up? Scared to get wet? Ride a bike around Pattaya so you can really enjoy it.

"Water fights ...woohoo.." are not part of Thai culture and are not embraced by them - only the moronic minority add ice and pump guns !

An Australian, unfamiliar with culture, may think otherwise.

Who's an Australian? What has this to do with Australians? There's idiots from many different countries spoiling the fun.

Idiots + alcohol + Songkran = TROUBLE .... it doesn't matter where they are from

Edited by tropo

Is it fun?

Yes the children enjoy throwing water at each other.

Is it a Thai custom to throw water at adults?

At any other time of the year what would be your reaction be to being assaulted?

Something has gone wrong; my guess is it is the only time when there is some equality, when the prols can get their payback and all will accept it.

It is aggresion pretending to be fun.

Nothing to do with cleansing and respect for elders.

So be it.

Is it fun?

Yes the children enjoy throwing water at each other.

Is it a Thai custom to throw water at adults?

At any other time of the year what would be your reaction be to being assaulted?

Something has gone wrong; my guess is it is the only time when there is some equality, when the prols can get their payback and all will accept it.

It is aggresion pretending to be fun.

Nothing to do with cleansing and respect for elders.

So be it.

There's no doubt that Songkran gives free reign to aggressive, sadistic a**holes. For them it's a dream come true. It's not enough just to wet someone. They only get pleasure when they make other people as uncomfortable and miserable as possible. They are looking for the people who don't want to get wet - the people who beg not to be sprayed - the people trying their hardest to stray dry. There's no fun in wetting people who are already wet. Then you hear their sadistic laugh once they've done the deed.

My biggest problem at Songkran is not getting wet, but trying to resist the temptation to pummel some of these a**holes.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

But it does not happen at any other time of year does it....it is this time of year...a few days and you all know about it well in advance and it is going to happen....nothing you can do about it and that is a good thing for those that enjoy the THAI holiday and festivities.

Dont let the super pumper get you in the back on your way out....squirt squirt..

You're driving the pick-up? Scared to get wet? Ride a bike around Pattaya so you can really enjoy it.

I am not silly enough to ride a bike anywhere in this country.

I drive some time and somebody else drives the other time.....its called sharing and the truck cannot drive itself.

I drive some time and somebody else drives the other time.....its called sharing and the truck cannot drive itself.

Well, I do ride bikes all year around in Pattaya - as I've been riding bikes my entire life. As you should know, bikes are the primary targets of idiots in the back of pick-ups - which means that basically, at least during Songkran, you and I are enemies. The ironic thing is that you're the one with high blood pressure, not I.

But really, unless you are driving around in your pick-up spraying people for the entire week, you've missed the main gist of complaints. Surely you're not retarded enough to spend 7 days driving around Pattaya with water tanks?

I dont live in Pattaya and never would.

I am your enemy is a pretty narrow minded view....just because we have a ton of fun in our pickup over songkran and you guys do not......in the back we have friends and relatives...this year around 11/12 and 2 inside.....most are kids.....we have a great time and the kids especially enjoy it. Last year we had friends from Oz experiencing it for the first time....they had a hoot...they are back again this year plus one more....the kids grandmother will be in the back also.

Last year I retreated to BKK for the duration (12 to 20) as usual and left my new steady barfine friend (she became LT TGF later) in her bar at the New Pattaya Plaza because she was new to PTY and I thought she might enjoy the madness. When i went back to fetch her on the 20th I had to take her to the PTY Memorial Hospital because she had been shot at near point blank in the face by an idiot farang using one of those powerful and illegal pipe guns and both her eyes hurt badly. It was not overly serious and she got fixed in a week or so. But it cost me a few bahts in medecine and doctor's fee ...

This year I'm single again and already safely back in BKK until the 20th.

I resceduled my Holiday to get completely away, from the Childish Morons.

lol

i took the same view.

You would think the childish novelty of throwing water would have worn off by now.

Apperantly not.

But it does not happen at any other time of year does it....it is this time of year...a few days and you all know about it well in advance and it is going to happen....nothing you can do about it and that is a good thing for those that enjoy the THAI holiday and festivities.

Songkran day in Pattaya is on the 19th, everybody gets soaked and has a crazy time. But for some people that is not enough, they are standing at the side of the road, outside bars etc, riding round in pick ups, from dawn till dusk from at least a week before Songkran firing their high powered water guns filled with iced water, at people trying to go about their daily business. And yes, the vast majority of these pillocks are farangs. I have a simple question for you Samsian, do you think people have the right to go about their daily lives, going to an airconditioned shopping mall, to a restaurant etc, without getting soaked to the skin by some moron with a water gun? Yes or no?

It rains nearly everyday in England so just be like back home for us English boys

Crap

What was your major at university? Thuggish behaviour? What ever makes you think that you have the right to soak passers by with dirty water containing, at times, lumps of ice? In a civilised country you you render yourself open to a charge of breaching the peace or common assault, but then you are not from a fully civilised country are you?

If the moronic element would limit their activities to the area between Beach and Second Roads I wouldn't care but nowhere is safe. Do give some consideration to what your attitude will be when you are further down life's road. You can do that can't you?

At his age now, I doubt a change will come in later years,if someone has no thought for others Privacy,or their right to be left alone,and not assaulted as you rightly said.

These are Egotistical people,lacking in empathy for their fellow man,and will only get worse in later years,rather than better.

Urine in water pistols ,sewage water [why use water you have to pay for?] in all weapons.Pick-ups with drums refilled from tankers that usually empty cess pits.

Drunken beer soaked foreigners reeking of serious B.O .playing cowboys and Indians,thinking they are Rambo'

Thai teenagers that throw ice and filthy powder at all foreigners .

And you wonder why I have no intention of participating in this 'festival'

• Like 1

How funny and predictable. Big bad Sonkraner full of talk about how much "fun" Songkran is actually just drives in a truck behind rolled up windows, stayin' dry! :)

Practically just another armchair expert. Why not keep the windows rolled down at all times so you can attain some understanding about what the issues are? Endander yourself and your group like you endanger others, esp. the motorbike drivers and their passengers?

• Like 2

Urine in water pistols ,sewage water [why use water you have to pay for?] in all weapons.Pick-ups with drums refilled from tankers that usually empty cess pits.

Every urban myth in the book, but far from reality. rolleyes.gif

Not really.

The ever present 'bum gun' combined with obligatory back pressure means there is always fecal & urine in city water

Songkran day in Pattaya is on the 19th, everybody gets soaked and has a crazy time. But for some people that is not enough, they are standing at the side of the road, outside bars etc, riding round in pick ups, from dawn till dusk from at least a week before Songkran firing their high powered water guns filled with iced water, at people trying to go about their daily business. And yes, the vast majority of these pillocks are farangs. I have a simple question for you Samsian, do you think people have the right to go about their daily lives, going to an airconditioned shopping mall, to a restaurant etc, without getting soaked to the skin by some moron with a water gun? Yes or no?

If only it was "dawn to dusk". The spraying goes on long past dusk. I've been drenched with buckets of ice water after 10pm days before the main event on little side Sois (by Thais). On the main day (19th in Pattaya) you'll get wet right through the night until daybreak, even on 3rd Road. I say these sprayers cause a really nasty head on smash with 3 motorcycles involved last year as one tried to avoid getting wet and crossed over the center line.

Edited by tropo

"Water fights ...woohoo.." are not part of Thai culture and are not embraced by them - only the moronic minority add ice and pump guns !

An Australian, unfamiliar with culture, may think otherwise.

Who's an Australian? What has this to do with Australians? There's idiots from many different countries spoiling the fun.

Idiots + alcohol + Songkran = TROUBLE .... it doesn't matter where they are from

"Woohoo" is an Australian expression - ergo highly likley cardholder is an Australian

How funny and predictable. Big bad Sonkraner full of talk about how much "fun" Songkran is actually just drives in a truck behind rolled up windows, stayin' dry! smile.png

Practically just another armchair expert. Why not keep the windows rolled down at all times so you can attain some understanding about what the issues are? Endander yourself and your group like you endanger others, esp. the motorbike drivers and their passengers?

just remember we will be having fun....along with all the thai people enjoying their holiday and the vast majority of the the rest of the people.....

the simple choice for others to avoid having a good time is to stay indoors....or go away somewhere......easy really.

Edited by Rimmer
Inflammatory