Thai Missus Taking Dried Chilli And Noodles Into Australia

Spoonman

Declare it and you should be ok if is commercially packaged.

You can buy both here from shops almost everywhere though........

Exactly what i was about to say. Thai groceries can be obtained in every Asian Grocery store. There are only a few Thai cosmetics that may be harder to find.

Thai/asian style supermarkets springing up in lots of places - you will be fine

If you bring food over as suggested earlier commercially packaged & declare it !!! Even if your not sure declare it makes it so much easer

Just through Aussie Customs 6 weeks ago and bought a tin of those smelly baby clam things the girls love and we collectively hate.

Declared it and no problems.

The Thai gf is arriving in a week and bringing a few select items so, if I remember, I will try and update here with what she bought through.

Oh, I just updated a thread of mine ... http://www.thaivisa....sa-application/ and the very last entry is a copy of the Incoming Passenger Card in Thai.

Might be worthwhile showing that to her so that she completes the English one correctly.

Never had a problem bringing the noodles through.

The main thing is to declare you have food. That means any food, caned, bottles, packets. Quarantine want to inspect ALL food entering Australia. They also like to have some English writing on the goods so they can check their computer data base if required. I brought a small can of cucumber seed across a couple of weeks ago but because their was no English writing on the label for them to confirm the item they took the can off me. As I say declare all foods and let quarantine decide if they will let the item into the country.. Many times you will get them in other times not.

Correct, declare it, the worst that can happen is it may be confiscated then she can buy it at most any Asian Supermarket over Australia.

Several years ago TW insisted on bringing several jars of the rotten fish, available from road side stalls, with us. No one was more surprised than me when the customs official let them through especially when I told him if he opened them in my presence I was out of there!

A couple of years ago I tried to bring a few packets of Jok in through Adelaide airport but customs binned them because they couldn't read the thai labels. Worried they might contain egg product.

Also took the packet of thai basil seeds.

Not Australia, but Canada - rarely a problem taking anything in, just ensure it's declared.

I did have a difficulty one year when I didn't mention a big package of cashew nuts. Had to stand through a long lecture from Agriculture person. Really annoying.

Packaged stuff shouldn't be a problem, but you should be able to get that in local Asian markets.

I have taken small bags of fresh prik kee nu in my pack - never a question even though I was prepared to suggest a customs guy actually try one! giggle.gif

Aussie customs are <deleted>, make sure if they ask you, you explain everything in detail what it is.

After a 9 hour flight during the night with no sleep, I brought Banana chips, durian chips and potato chips.

I declared and they asked what chips, I said banana and potato chips, they tried to fine me for that, after kicking up a stink I got off it. But they are picky little fuc_kers.

Correct, declare it, the worst that can happen is it may be confiscated then she can buy it at most any Asian Supermarket over Australia.

Several years ago TW insisted on bringing several jars of the rotten fish, available from road side stalls, with us. No one was more surprised than me when the customs official let them through especially when I told him if he opened them in my presence I was out of there!

I wonder how the smell of that fish, particularly if the container leaked, would affect the sniffer dogs. Would it attract them or send them howling to the far corners of the terminal like it would me.

Be sure to tick the box on the landing card saying you have food.

Wife had the 12yo Thai niece fill in the card on a flight to Brisbane to practice her English. The noodles (which would have been OK to take in) got confiscated and my wife got fined.

when in Abu Dhabi the missus brought in about 3 kilos of little silver dollar river fish from the local klong wrapped in newspaper...craziest thing I ever seen...toss them in whole in the wok with some oil and let them sizzle...it was hilarious and she said: 'what?...' it then was confirmed that she was nuts and she took my heart away...

a tale of love in the Middle East...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

No probs at all, I declared them and they did not even want to have a look.

There are lots of bad stories about Aust Customs and Quaranteen Service, I have my own.

Most of them start with somebody telling fibs on the declaration.

i always have trouble in Darwin, but never in syd or Melb.

As you learned, declare everything, even if you are not sure you have to and you will generally be ok.

• 1 month later...

No probs at all, I declared them and they did not even want to have a look.

There are lots of bad stories about Aust Customs and Quaranteen Service, I have my own.

Most of them start with somebody telling fibs on the declaration.

i always have trouble in Darwin, but never in syd or Melb.

As you learned, declare everything, even if you are not sure you have to and you will generally be ok.

Invariably I stand in Quarantine with something to declare and from my experience it is the Asians who have suitcases full of non declarable foods.

There is no excuse and an assortment of languages are available for translation purposes. Languages other than English

(including

Chinese

French

German

Italian

Japanese

Spanish

)