Thailand Grand Prix Being Considered For 2014 Or 2015

Lite Beer

Thailand Grand Prix being considered for 2014 or 2015

By: Quentin Spurring

Negotiations are under way for a Formula One Thailand Grand Prix, Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz has confirmed. Speaking in the nation's capital, Bangkok, the energy-drink company's billionaire founder told local media, "The idea is good. We are in talks. I can't give details because it is not my responsibility. [F1 boss] Bernie Ecclestone agrees with the idea, and we might sign an agreement soon. Thailand could host a Formula One race in the next two or three years.”

Mateschitz's tone suggests that Red Bull might be behind the idea and involved in the talks between Formula One and the Thai government.

Thailand is a target market for Mateschitz, and, 18 months ago, Mark Webber demonstrated a Red Bull F1 car on an improvised street circuit centered on Ratchadamnoen Avenue in Bangkok.

Continued: http://www.autoweek....30/F1/120339976

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, finally Rachadamnoen would get a smooth surface, because Formula 1 car would hardly be able to run on the usual bumpy street surfaces in Thailand, not even on motorways.

A Formula1 race is a very expensive event and mind you, Bernie Ecclestone will get all the profits. So which Thai politician could possibly back such a project when there is nothing in it for him?

A Formula1 race is a very expensive event and mind you, Bernie Ecclestone will get all the profits. So which Thai politician could possibly back such a project when there is nothing in it for him?

Still plenty of skimming opportunities even on the lesser infrastructure for a street circuit.

Can't see it happening in BKK though as the logistics of shutting the center down for a week would be horrendous and who really thinks an F1 car would be happy on existing roads.

Building a dedicated track in 2 to 3 years is pretty unrealistic imho.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Race organisers defend Grand Prix costs

... the organisers of the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix have defended the increasing cost of staging the event ... taxpayers are paying at least $50 million a year to host the race and the money would be better spent on ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-15/race-organisers-defend-grand-prix-costs/3891096

This will never happen. What driver is going to want to come here and drive a race in 95 degree humid weather? Especially when there are already 2 other races here in SE Asia. This is one of those projects that all Thai agencies involved are bound to f__k up so don't hold your breath. That said I would love to see it happen!

Positions on the grid will be awarded on the basis of contributions to the boys in brown.

Actually, I wonder how useful Lewis Hamilton would be with half a dozen building workers piled onto the back of his car. Or his wife and kids fore and aft.

I thought formula 1 racing already has been going on on the country's roads and highways for several decades. Have I missed something?

Ha! Ha! Just what I was thinking. The cheap option would be to sell tickets for seats along the Chaofa Road East (and West) in Phuket. We have F1 racing every day and crashes too. Loads of excitement for all, no set up costs and the Thai organisers take all the cash.

• Like 1

Thailand has this idea that it's right up there with Singapore Malaysia S.Korea and Japan when in actual fact it's true stable is with Vietnam Cambodia and now Burma, the sooner they realise this the better

• Like 2

Quite frankly I see no reason to have a Grand prix in Thailand.

CTH cable networks and Khon Kaen Cable TV (KTV) have absolutely no interest in F1.

Last season on several occasions immediately before the start of the race the menu for the cable receiver appeared on screen and the channel and thus content was changed. It was put back to the original channel immediately after the post race interviews.

This year for the Australian Grand Prix they did not retune, merely disconnected the video and audio feeds until immediately after the race (I followed it on the Internet so I know when it finished).

Last weekend (Saturday) ESPN was available on KTV and gave the broadcast times - but instead of ESPN be supplied on Sunday there was some third rate (content, sound and video quality) spurious channel.

Whatever happens Thailand should NEVER get a Grand Prix! There are many more countries where the population and the media actually want and appreciate a Grand Prix.

What if the Jet Ski Mafia from Phuket took charge of the pits.

Can you imagine the beatings on offer if Vettel and Hamilton came together. LOL

Well they could swap out the Korean GP, that one is out in the sticks of Korea, no F1 facillities as in hotels etc near the track, has had horrible attendance in the 2 years amongst a pletora of other problems.

When the Pattaya Racing Circuit was built over 20 years ago, it was planned to hold international races there.

That never happened as the Customs Dept could not agree to a system to import and export

the cars from overseas.

Unless that basic hurdle has been overcome it is all a pipe dream. :bah:

• Like 1

Quite frankly I see no reason to have a Grand prix in Thailand.

CTH cable networks and Khon Kaen Cable TV (KTV) have absolutely no interest in F1.

Last season on several occasions immediately before the start of the race the menu for the cable receiver appeared on screen and the channel and thus content was changed. It was put back to the original channel immediately after the post race interviews.u imagine the beatings on offer if Vettel and Hamilton came together. LOL

That may be a copyright issue and they HAD to pull the plug.

The Thailand Red Bull GP.

It would be quite a sight, turbo charged tuk tuk for the safety car. And once the race gets going, little old ladys pushing their som tam stalls along the edge of the track with the cars shooting past @ 200kmph.

• Like 1