Comming To Thailand What Sort Of Protection I Need To Bring.

althemighty

So I will be comming back to thailand soon. I am getting married to my thai fiance and will be in phuket on the 13th and her village near ubon for the rest of Songkran. I am 29 years old and have met the family before. However they seem the type that would be lookign forward to soaking me with water. Also worried about my time in phuket as it is a big tourist area and people are going to go crazy.

Anyway, I need songkran protection for my iphone and passport. Does anyone have any strategies for keeping these dry? I have seen waterproof cases on ebay but won't have time to buy one. Anyone know if they sell waterproof iphone cases in thailand? Seems like there would be great demand for these. As I am cheap I however will likely just use a sandwich bag. Anyone got any other strategy?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

use the sandwich bag for all valuables, wear sun glasses, to keep the poxy water out of your eyes, pre buy some dettol or medicated soap to clean yourself when you get back to your acommodation.

and avoid all farangs throwing water.

• Like 1

You can't be too careful so you should consider hiring one of these guys.........

post-132287-0-16118600-1333284594_thumb.

If you want to live dangerously go for the lightweight version........

post-132287-0-96443600-1333284558_thumb.

Both of these suits have the added benefit of preventing the spread of STD's and prevent random attacks by Ladyboys.

• Like 2

iPhone and passport?

No need to carry original passport with you (fotocopy of main page and entry stamp page is OK).

Both iPhone and passport: lock up in the room (hotel) safe.

Never go out on songkran with any valuable electronics/gadgets or documents.

Following on from the protective clothing advice given above ...

If, however, you are looking for a little bit of action with the delightful 3rd sex.

We have reliable reports from field operatives that not only is the protection minimal.

post-104736-0-68878000-1333285673_thumb.

... but, under the right moonlight night this attire up north, can actually be an attractant licklips.gif

Edited by David48

Well wanted to take my phone with me so I can get photo's. I think with family they will not throw water when i am holding my phone to take picture. Will people on bangla road use common sense and not throw water at me when i'm taking a picture with my phone?

Well wanted to take my phone with me so I can get photo's. I think with family they will not throw water when i am holding my phone to take picture. Will people on bangla road use common sense and not throw water at me when i'm taking a picture with my phone?

cheesy.gif

EDIT

... have picked myself up now.

What happened to the wedding in December?

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

No, they won't. In some areas it might actually make you a bigger target, sad to say.

oh, at the risk of sounding judgemental and predisposed to a little used freudian term, no i dont think it would be a good idea too remove your phone from its protective sandwich bag
  • Like 1

I am getting married twice. First April 9 so I can apply for spouse visa. Then again in december for the formal wedding. We will be already be married but that is when the party will be and the dowry given. My fiance is a teacher so it is her long holidays and we are spending 2 weeks in thailand and 3 weeks here in Australia together to build our relationship and then when she returns to thailand for start of school year we will submit spouse visa application. I am a teacher so will be back to work at her school in october and december and we hope visa will be granted before next April.

I am a bit worried about bang la. Last time I walked down the street with two western girls in my arms that i met at the hotel and a lady boy just used that as an opportunity to grab my crutch as my arms were around the women and i could not block it. I think because she is thai the girls on the street will think she is just competition and try to get me to go with them. I want to have fun and party. I am resigned to not taking photo's now but what should i do to avoid girls trying to get with me and my wife getting angry with me.

At songkran the fact that your taking a picture is totally meaningless whether it's unknown water throwers or family water throwers.

Both Thai and farang revelers have one aim only, douse you with water, nothing else matters.

Agree, a good quality sandwich bag is all you need and they are available, not expensive, at pretty much all supermarkets in Thailand, in different sizes, no need for special cases etc. A spare sandwich bag in your pocket is a good idea also,

And as suggested carry a copy of your passport in your sandwich bag, and leave the original safe and sound in the hotel safe.

Edited by scorecard

Hmm I wonder if the iphone would work through a condom. I don't think i could use it through a sandwich bag. I know it sounds crazy but maybe 2 condoms so there is no exposed end and the phone would be usefull. Do they make any crystal clear condoms so photo quality is still good. No this is not a troll I would seriously do it if it works

Hmm I wonder if the iphone would work through a condom. I don't think i could use it through a sandwich bag. I know it sounds crazy but maybe 2 condoms so there is no exposed end and the phone would be usefull. Do they make any crystal clear condoms so photo quality is still good. No this is not a troll I would seriously do it if it works

put some deep heat between the two condoms, then you will know if one breaks, when the phone starts screaming
  • Like 1

put some deep heat between the two condoms, then you will know if one breaks, when the phone starts screaming

Hmmmmmmmmm, don't think we want to know about your private life experiments. huh.png

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmmmm, don't think we want to know about your private life experiments. huh.png

an old sailor told me about that method of protecting a valuable asset

Well i just spend some time reading on cnet about how the phone condom has already been invented. (there goes my great idea). It is the same as a normal condom but does not have lube. It says the phone will work as normal through a condom. Not sure if a normal self lubricating condom will stop it from working.

I find it ironic that the best solution to a problem in thailand seems to always be to put a condom on it.

I think with family they will not throw water when i am holding my phone to take picture. Will people on bangla road use common sense and not throw water at me when i'm taking a picture with my phone?

Not sure about "bangla road" but in CM they will not use common sense, as this was left at at the airport or at their home.