Best Curry And Kebab

dazk

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhat entertaining. However the origin of a food is of much lesser interest than it's availability in a certain location, in this case Pattaya.

I like to go to dinner with my Thai wife, but being Thai she claims the curries don't fit her palates. Now to extend the question posed by OP, what restaurant would be a good place to take a somewhat reluctant Thai to experience good Indian cousine in Pattaya ?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

me and the wife went to alibaba she really enjoyed it, but admitedly the food was paid for with a freeplayo voucher, good food though

Glad to hear that, i am cashing in a reward next week at Ali Baba.

Has any tried their Sunday brunch so called buffet?

Why in Thailand do restaurants call these menu order deals buffets when they are NOT buffets?

If it really means you can order anything on their regular menu, all you want, that would be bargain (for Thailand) at 500 baht.

However they fail to really spell out exactly what they mean.

http://www.indian-by...ents/index.html

I am guessing you present you with a special brunch menu with limited choices.

Frankly I like "real" buffets better because then you can decide to taste everything you want. A tiny bit of this, a lot of that. With an order off the menu buffet, you end of getting too much of one item taking up stomach space you would have used for other stuff. Then there is an implicit attitude you're supposed to eat it all because they brought it before you are guilt free to order more stuff. There is also the attitude factor that almost always happens with waiters at so called buffets (when you order "too much").

That said, any reports on your buffet experience there?

Edited by Jingthing

Has any tried their Sunday brunch so called buffet?

Why in Thailand do restaurants call these menu order deals buffets when they are NOT buffets?

If it really means you can order anything on their regular menu, all you want, that would be bargain (for Thailand) at 500 baht.

However they fail to really spell out exactly what they mean.

http://www.indian-by...ents/index.html

I am guessing you present you with a special brunch menu with limited choices.

Frankly I like "real" buffets better because then you can decide to taste everything you want. A tiny bit of this, a lot of that. With an order off the menu buffet, you end of getting too much of one item taking up stomach space you would have used for other stuff. Then there is an implicit attitude you're supposed to eat it all because they brought it before you are guilt free to order more stuff. There is also the attitude factor that almost always happens with waiters at so called buffets (when you order "too much").

That said, any reports on your buffet experience there?

doesnt actually say buffet it says brunch, you just order from the table and they bring freshly cooked, maybe they have a limited menu i dont know, but most of the 'all you can eat buffet' indians i went to in the uk had a table of help your self, fresh cooked sounds better. Free flow of wine for 2 hours 490 B sounds ok

Edited by dazk

On chicken tikka masala, there is little controversy the British version (tomato saucy, creamy, sugary, mild spices) was originated in England (influenced of course by Indian roots) and is a very popular dish in England and with British people abroad. The dish is not popular in ... India for Indians. In that sense, yes, it is a British dish. In a very similar way that the modern burrito we know today is an American dish. Developed in the USA with Northern Mexican roots, massively popular in the USA, not happening in ... Mexico. Yes in India they have butter chicken (a different dish) and in Northern Mexico they have basic traditional burritos (just a tortilla wrapped meat or beans and that's it), again a different dish. Hamburgers, they're American, yes? So don't see why you even brought up that McD's is popular.

Also note, my understanding is that the Indian subcontinent culinary origin of chicken tikka masala is actually NOT butter chicken but it obviously has some kind of origin from that region. On the other hand the culinary origin of the modern American burrito is clearly from the traditional Northern Mexico burrito, also called burrito.

Just out of curiosity, how many Indians in India (we seem to be missing the Pakistanis and Bangladeshis) have personally told you they don't like Chicken Tikka Masala ? Also, I guess the Indians (and the Pakistanis and Bangladeshis) living in the UK don't count ?

I don't care where it was 'invented'. What defines when a dish becomes another county's property ? For instance, if I was add some Brussels Sprouts to a Thai Green Curry can I then call it a British dish ??

For me Chicken Tikka Masala is Indian food which just happens to be very popular with the Brits. Let's leave the food snobbery at the door and just enjoy the food.

Oh hey, check out the restaurant/takeaway menu here http://www.delhi-darbar.com/delhi-darbar-mumbai.html

totster :D

• Like 1

Excuse me, but I NEVER said you can't find Chicken Tikka Masala on some menus in India! I said it is a British dish. It IS a British dish. Now EXPORTED to India FROM the UK. Get it? And this has NOTHING to do with snobbery.

http://news.bbc.co.u...news/503680.stm

This was back in 1999. Which shows you something about the origins of CTM in India. From the UK. TO India.

About burritos, honestly, I haven't traveled around Mexico for some years now. When I did I never saw a modern American burrito on a menu in Mexico. Even in touristic restaurants specifically catering to gringos on holiday. However, many Mexican people in the USA do eat them in the USA and like them ( and many have moved home ... permanently) and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a market IN Mexico for American burritos. Why not?

This "food snob" thing is just obnoxious name calling. This is called a discussion.

Edited by Jingthing

Excuse me, but I NEVER said you can't find Chicken Tikka Masala on some menus in India! I said it is a British dish. It IS a British dish. Now EXPORTED to India FROM the UK. Get it? And this has NOTHING to do with snobbery.

http://news.bbc.co.u...news/503680.stm

This was back in 1999. Which shows you something about the origins of CTM in India. From the UK. TO India.

About burritos, honestly, I haven't traveled around Mexico for some years now. When I did I never saw a modern American burrito on a menu in Mexico. Even in touristic restaurants specifically catering to gringos on holiday. However, many Mexican people in the USA do eat them in the USA and like them ( and many have moved home ... permanently) and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a market IN Mexico for American burritos. Why not?

This "food snob" thing is just obnoxious name calling. This is called a discussion.

This topic really has turned into where tikka masala comes from rather than good restaurants. If what the BBC reported all those years ago is true, how can they explain that tikka masala is found in Penang?.....and its not for tourists, its served in most of the restuarants in Little India and eaten by Indians, so I dont believe the BBC

Every kebab I have had in Thailand has been a disappointment until I made one myself. The sauce is bad. Tastes more like yoghurt or tzatziki than kebab dressing and they use way too little of it. Besides that they are small and barely contain anything at all. Only options are lettuce, tomato and onion.

Where is the corn, jalapeños, cucumber and paprika?

Excuse me, but I never said you said you can't find Chicken Tikka Masala on some menus in India. Stop getting so uppity.

I am enjoying the discussion, but sorry to say that you come across as a total food snob. This may not be the case, and if it isn't then I suggest you amend the way in which you reply to others posts. You are not the authority you think you are.

Totster biggrin.png

OK, blimey, if it pleases y'all to call me names like food snob, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun. However, I find it odd that Brits wouldn't want to take proper credit for the development of the famous UK dish -- Chicken Tikka Masala. The world knows it indeed ... as a British dish. Is this some kind of backlash against non-white ethnic groups in England?ermm.gif I really don't get it.blink.png I mean seriously, serve a Mexican a modern burrito in Mexico if you can get one now and I guarantee you whether they like or not they will say -- GRINGO FOOD.thumbsup.gif Edited by Jingthing

Punch & Judy does a nice lamb kebab but it's pricey. I prefer to get a NZ lamb shoulder from makro, costs between 300-400 baht. Slow roast the lamb, toast the pita breads, fresh salad and you can have the best lamb kebabs around. Great value too!

OK, blimey, if it pleases y'all to call me names like food snob, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun. However, I find it odd that Brits wouldn't want to take proper credit for the development of the famous UK dish -- Chicken Tikka Masala. The world knows it indeed ... as a British dish. Is this some kind of backlash against ethnic groups? I really don't it. I mean seriously, serve a Mexican a modern burrito in Mexico if you can get one now and I guarantee you whether they like or not they will say -- GRINGO FOOD.

Actually, this all stems from your comment..

BTW, as I suspected, what passes for "Indian" in the UK is nothing of the kind

Food snobbery at it's worst from someone who does not know any better, and completely incorrect. Just read that comment, it smacks of contempt.

You are correct that us Brits are very pleased to be associated to Chicken Tikka Masala, even to the point of naming it a national dish, the point however is that it is an Indian dish, either invented by Indians (or Pakistanis or Bangladeshis) in the UK, or by someone on the Indian Subcontinent, depending on what you believe.

Totster :D

I was passing on the views of the very English Gordon Ramsey which he developed meeting chef experts and prominent Indian foodies in India. He's the expert!

It so easy to take my comment out of context (which was Gordon Ramsey's show about Indian food) and make it sound worse than it was. Well done! Like I said, call me a food snob, call me the King of Food Snobs who actually knows not a thing about food. But you don't have to be sleazy about it.

No, there is no way CTM in the typical British style originated in the Indian subcontinent!

Edited by Jingthing

I was passing on the views of Gordon Ramsey which he developed meeting chef experts and prominent foodies in India. He's the expert!

Doesn't look that way to me your comment was appropriately uppish for some someone scorning. Anyway Gordon Ramsey is an entertainer pretty much now, however I doubt he would say he is more of an expert on Indian foods than the Indians themselves.

AFAIK he does not have any Indian restaurants, but I do know he is helping one in Bradford which serves authentic vegetarian Indian food try and get a Michelin star.

Exactly. Gordon went to Indian to get educated on the subject. Before that trip, he admits he only knew UK Indian style food. The Indian experts taught him that UK Indian style food (the standard mainstream dishes/recipes) is not considered Indian food ... in India, but rather something entirely DIFFERENT.

Speaking of American food in Mexico:

Taco Bell has attempted to enter the Mexican market twice. After a highly-publicised launch in Mexico City in 1992, all the restaurants were closed two years later. In September 2007, Taco Bell returned to Monterrey, this time promoting itself as selling American food, but closed in January 2010 due to low patronage.

wiki Edited by Jingthing

I was passing on the views of the very English Gordon Ramsey which he developed meeting chef experts and prominent Indian foodies in India. He's the expert!

It so easy to take my comment out of context (which was Gordon Ramsey's show about Indian food) and make it sound worse than it was. Well done! Like I said, call me a food snob, call me the King of Food Snobs who actually knows not a thing about food. But you don't have to be sleazy about it.

No, there is no way CTM in the typical British style originated in the Indian subcontinent!

I don't think the comment was taken out of context at all. You were making your assumptions based on what you had watched, read, heard, but the comment was yours. Like I have said before, maybe it's the tone of your comment that makes you sound arrogant, and slightly anti Brit.

Again, as I have said before, where it originated (and there is no clear proof to exactly where with a few different claims) is irrelevant. It seems you are the only one with this hang up.

Totster :D

Exactly. Gordon went to Indian to get educated on the subject. Before that trip, he admits he only knew UK Indian style food. The Indian experts taught him that UK Indian style food (the standard mainstream dishes/recipes) is not considered Indian food ... in India, but rather something entirely DIFFERENT.

I think it is completely unfair to disparage Indian food in the UK based on the thoughts of a British chef who seemed to not know any better (like I said, entertainer now), but I can easily understand some know it all reading into it and coming to the wrong conclusions.

Gordon Ramsay is Scottish.

I ate at the Rompho Market place and found it very, very pedestrian. The nan bread was nothing of the kind and the curry was boring. I can't imagine thinking it is particularly good. Where is this OTHER Indian place in that area? Haven't noticed it.

BTW, as I suspected, what passes for "Indian" in the UK is nothing of the kind. Check out Gordon Ramsey's new show series (Gordon's Great Escape) where he hilariously learns the truth about UK Indian compared to real Indian in India.

The point is -- it is NOT Indian food and real Indians with Indian palates do NOT like it. 'Nuff said.

I'll admit it. I find it very annoying that UK people think they are the experts in Indian food. They know their style of food which is very different than Indian food. My life experience in "the colonies" is with actual Indian food, cooked by Indian chefs, mostly for Indian people. So yes I do know more about Indian food than the average arrogant Brit who is hilariously always searching for "UK style" curries. As silly as searching for "UK Chinese" in my book.

UK style curries = Silly. Tex-Mex... Perfectly acceptable. New York style pizzas.... Perfectly acceptable. Chicago style pizzas.... Perfectly acceptable.

No doubt it would also be hilarious watching a celebrity US chef going to Italy and learning the truth about real pizzas in Italy.

If you watch Vir Sanghvi's show on tracing the origins of tandoori chicken and arriving at the conclusion that it probably originated in Afghanistan does it make it hilarious for someone to admit to preferring the taste of tandoori chicken cooked Indian style? In the same episode, there is an older Indian lady chef who I believe held some claims to the UK recipe of chicken tikka masala (although there is probably no need to mention it is the "UK recipe" because I believe it is fairly well established that it is a UK dish - yes, a batardisation of a dish using Indian spices, possibly the butter chicken that you mentioned earlier) and her recipe included the use of Campbell's condensed tomato soup. Is it such a culinary crime for someone to prefer the taste of one dish over another based purely on the authenticity (or lack of) of the ingredients used?

Why get so caught up in "authenticity"? If you are going to be such a pedant then yes, if you want "authentic" Indian food, go to India. If you want "authentic" pizza go to Italy. If you want "authentic" Chinese food go to China.... We get it pal... But while we're on the subject of authenticity, perhaps you could inform us how much time either the owner or any of the chef's at your much extolled favourite Mexican restaurant have spent any time in Mexico, or, for that matter, how many of their chefs have Mexican passports....? In the event of the answer being zero, please do us all a favour and take a look around you and enlighten us all as to how your colon looks from up there...

The OP asked for info on a UK Indian curry (hilarious!!!) and info on kebabs. For the curries I would highly recommend a little place on Soi Siam Country Club opposite SP Village 5. I think the owner may actually be Pakistani (Shock, Horror!!!) but he does a very good job of making a curry like u would find in a UK curry house (snigger snigger...). He's pretty much a one man band and if he's busy it can take a while for him to finish your order. He does deliveries but i don't have his number.

For the doner kebabs, someone is doing very nice doner kebabs and sells the meat to places like the Punch & Judy, Nick the Pizza and no doubt several others. Maybe try the kebabs from one of these establishments and if you like it I am sure it would not be too hard to find where it originates.

I think I just may have found the supplier of this doner meat. McDoners in Soi LK Metro (just on the left hand side of the entrance on Soi Bukhaow) selling kebabs and advertising the kebab meat wholesale. Lamb doner UK style kebabs at 135b. tried one last night, very nice, as close to the UK doner as I have ever seen over here, the meat was lovely. My only criticism was the pitta bread, if only the owner could source pocket pitta bread as used in the UK instead of the circular rolled up pitta they have here.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, Turkish Micael moved from Tukcom to Tops a few weeks ago. He wasn't happy with the lack of seating at his stall in Tukcom. I don't know about the Tops location, it is years between I shop there, but I guess tourists use it.

Talking about Doner shops, I just "found" a new "Berlin Doner" just a bit further down Pattaya Tai Klang. The owner is a young Thai with a German/Turkish "father" apparently sponsoring the project, such as I understand the story.

I had a Beef Doner, a huge meal for 89B but unfortunately I found the meat was very dry, as if it's been on the carousel all day, I guess low season, it was very quiet when I visited. Other than that it was very good - bread, salad, dressing.

post-1539-0-84811800-1338951170_thumb.jp post-1539-0-42597800-1338951174_thumb.jp post-1539-0-68053900-1338951178_thumb.jp post-1539-0-26669600-1338951181_thumb.jp

Edited by Phil Conners
corrected mistake - Pattaya Tai to Klang
  • Like 1

Yep, Turkish Micael moved from Tukcom to Tops a few weeks ago. He wasn't happy with the lack of seating at his stall in Tukcom. I don't know about the Tops location, it is years between I shop there, but I guess tourists use it.

Talking about Doner shops, I just "found" a new "Berlin Doner" just a bit further down Pattaya Tai. The owner is a young Thai with a German/Turkish "father" apparently sponsoring the project, such as I understand the story.

I had a Beef Doner, a huge meal for 89B but unfortunately I found the meat was very dry, as if it's been on the carousel all day, I guess low season, it was very quiet when I visited. Other than that it was very good - bread, salad, dressing.

post-1539-0-84811800-1338951170_thumb.jp post-1539-0-42597800-1338951174_thumb.jp post-1539-0-68053900-1338951178_thumb.jp post-1539-0-26669600-1338951181_thumb.jp

"Berlin Doner, further down Pattaya Tai..." near where (3rd Rd.? 2nd Rd.? Suk?) please?