Depression

gravion

hi boys and girls, im depressed again...

what should i do....?

no thanks to pills...

i would honestly believe, consuming 3 jugs of leo and stabbing my neck and jumping off the balcony would take me to heaven....

but my mommy and daddy would be depressed too.... awww.....

I like to listen to music, all kinds of stuff, on good speakers. Picks me up when I need it. The downs and the ups in Thailand are more severe than back home, but thankfully, the downs or shorter lasting. Keep your chin up, take a walk outside the city, plan a trip. The good times are coming again.

• Like 1

I like to listen to music, all kinds of stuff, on good speakers. Picks me up when I need it. The downs and the ups in Thailand are more severe than back home, but thankfully, the downs or shorter lasting. Keep your chin up, take a walk outside the city, plan a trip. The good times are coming again.

Yes, most of us have been there and l found that l must concentrate on stuff l didn't think about but in reality meant a lot. Music was one.

I battled depression for over seven years, and came very close to ending it all on several occasions - thankfully a close friend pointed out that that course of action is one of the most selfish things anyone can do (something you appear to understand anyway). I was on anti-depressants for most of that time, and tried every kind of counsellor, psychologist, and psychiatrist, yet my stupid brain chemistry failed to respond to anything. But then, as soon as it began, it was gone.

I wish I had some wise words to make you feel better, or even a magic cure, but al I can say is: as someone who has fought the black dog and won, it can get better. You just need to hang in there.

Edit: I'm not saying don't seek professional help. It just didn't seem to work for me. What did work for me was toughing out these dark times you're going through.

Edited by jamesbrock
  • Like 1

I'm not having a go at the OP, here is one of his earlier topics.......

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/431385-please-give-me-some-advice/page__fromsearch__1

I've no doubt that other members will have greater knowledge than we of the OP's posting history and situation.

That being as it may, the OP must address this issue through professional help, we can give him well meaning support and advice, but that's all.

I am not underestimating the severity and difficulty of depression, I am not saying that the OP does not deserve help and support, however the OP must put his hand up and make a concerted effort to help himself.

All that being said I wish you all the best in this battle........it's interesting that the previous post refers to Black Dog, that is what Winston Churchill called depression and he fought it throughout his life.

Good luck OP.

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

I've no doubt that other members will have greater knowledge than we of the OP's posting history and situation.

That being as it may, the OP must address this issue through professional help, we can give him well meaning support and advice, but that's all.

I am not underestimating the severity and difficulty of depression, I am not saying that the OP does not deserve help and support, however the OP must put his hand up and make a concerted effort to help himself.

All that being said I wish you all the best in this battle........it's interesting that the previous post refers to Black Dog, that is what Winston Churchill called depression and he fought it throughout his life.

Good luck OP.

Oftentimes it is this kind of well meaning support and advice that we can offer that makes the difference during the dark times.

Find a few doors that open onto something good that you are excited about or give you hope or make you happy, concentrate on them and try and forget the doors that have shut on you in life. It can be something incredibly simple like taking a walk in a garden and planning to do that.....

One book that worked for me was called The Power.. the 10% I took away from that book at a time when all was pretty bleak was equivalent to all the gold in the world and still today serves me well.

Full marks by the way for having the courage to post as you did.

Ive been there ,done that and Im a drinker but at times of despair, alcohol is not your friend.. try and limit it a bit .. notice Im not saying stop as i didn't or couldn't at the time, Im not sure which but just beware ....

Good luck OP, find 2-3 things every day that you can be grateful for and look for the things that brighten your soul.

Nice words I know but spoken from someone who has been through some trying times.

Hope it helps

One thing i wil promise you is if you hang in and keep hope and spirit alive the dark times will pass and you will come through OK. You've posted here and shown the guts and care to do that.... just find the bright stuff .

One thing i still do at night is I give thanks.. not in a religious sense, but rather for all the good things that have happened during the day.. the shopkeeper I had a laugh with, the person at work that helped me, the phone call from my children, the girlfriend cooking me a great meal, my brother sending me pictures, a funny post on Thai visa.... it doesn't have to be a huge event just a simple recap of what was pleasing during the day.. helps you sleep and also starts you on the road to being more and more positive.

Good luck, post again and let us know how its all going.. as others have stated many of us.. in fact I think most of us have been there

You can do this OP

• Like 2

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

Good luck OP.

Oftentimes it is this kind of well meaning support and advice that we can offer that makes the difference during the dark times.

I totally agree with that, my daughter is battling depression just now, I am not unsympathetic to the OP by any stretch of the imagination. You know that the road out is different for everybody, some medicate out, some literally walk out.

monty1412 has put forward excellent advice, my advice would be to find structure, calm down on the known depressant alcohol, and walk.

I notice this is nothing new for you. Your previous post on the subject was in January of 2011.

Can you not do what you did then?

What have the doctor's told you?

Some times it is a chemical imbalance in the Brain.

A previous poster suggested walking. Get a tuck tuck or songtel to take you some where you have not been and just wander around there or walk home. In some cases lots of exercise has been known to help. I know when I am out just wandering my mood improves.

Take a camera with you and post the picture's Dave2 misses.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

I notice this is nothing new for you. Your previous post on the subject was in January of 2011.

A previous poster suggested walking. Get a tuck tuck or songtel to take you some where you have not been and just wander around there or walk home. In some cases lots of exercise has been known to help. I know when I am out just wandering my mood improves.

OP hellodolly is soooo correct here and after reading the post it trigged something in my mind... I was when all was bleak walking prodigious amounts during the day and night..... it does help as the exercise ( and it doesn't have to be an exhaustingly fast pace) release endorphines which are feel good chemicals.

Keep a log of your walking and you will notice over time that your doing improved times or distances and guess what.. all of a sudden theirs an accomplishment.. something positive to add to the list. Walking / exploring is great stuff at these times

no thanks to pills...

Don't discount it completely, you might have to if your brain ain't firing right. Not everything can be put right by right thought, and if the mechanics just aren't there, the right med/therapy could possibly fill the gap until you have the means to sort it naturally. Goes without saying, but be sure to get your diet, water/salts intake (dehydration is almost universal out here and will exacerbate it) and exercize right first. I'd definitely not try to assuage it with alcohol; that's the last thing the truly depressive should be doing. Have a gen up on the stuff and see what it actually does to your brain: the firing of multiple neurotransmitters simultaneously, leading to heavy glutamate rebounds, etc; not a good idea!

Id also like to suggest trying to stay off of Thavisa for a while. Rarely is there anything positive said on here, usually only negativity, criticism & smart ass remarks. I know its an English medium to communicate with others, but what you know and what your comfortable with is what draws you back to depression. Turn off the computer and get out and see something new and get some positive experiences and new things to think about. Dont let the sounds of your own wheels drive you crazy.

• Like 1

For many years I had my ups and downs. As the downs got worse and more intense my family would ask me to start anti-depressive - both my dad and my younger brother are doctors. I was not ready for that and would accept that I needed medications. I went to see a psychiatrist as well, however, as I can be very charming, he did not think I needed any medications. He could not see through me even though I told him all my feelings when down. I was just on the edge.

First after I started anti-depressive I got better. I was on it for 1 year and 3 months and today I feel great. Greater that I felt for 10 years. I talk openly with all my friends about my depression. And my family also checks up on me. I have found out that I had not been really happy since high school. 10 years - that was a long process and if I look back I would have loved to have started medications earlier. Then my life would have been easier and happier in many ways. But no reason to look back now. I am happy again today and believe everything will be alright and even great. I can do it.

Exercise does help as well as releasing endorphines as said earlier - happy chemicals. However, if you feel like I did, you don't have power, energy or any will. First after I started medications I was able to do all the other things that make life great.

Definitely no alcohol and no other drugs.

The currently available treatments for depression (those of Western school medicine) are not always effective and leave a lot to be desired.

If it is serious, read about ayahuasca. It's not available here. You would have to fly to Peru.

Cheers, CMExpat

• 2 weeks later...

you are right your parents wouldnt be much amused and my buddhist landlady has repeatedly been explaining to me how suiciders unfailingly get reborn as cockroaches or "bathroom" insects in general. so, no thats not a good solution.

i wont go into the psychological side, thats only up to you to analyze, see and resolve. we all carry our burdens of our family and the time we live in with us. basically i think anyone not falling into occasional depression today must be crazy or already lobotomized. but yes, clinical depression is a chapter of its own.

i think it helps to give the physical self and its metabolism as much support as possible and for that my advice is as follows

* you could start a fundamental cleansing process with a 1-3 week water fasting, i do it almost yearly and always feel much better and lighter afterwards, loose all taste for the bad things, physical and otherwise. btw, no need for expensive clinic etc., just diy

general health tips

* avoid chemical food additives, a tough one in thailand, as msg is omnipresent. still, ask them to leave it away and check your regular restaurants for it, its called pong churot in thai. a lot has been written on excitotoxins and the psychic and physical devastation they cause

* avoid sugars in any form, iodine salts (will mess up your thyroid), generally all prepackaged foods.

* get your magnesium levels up, best done by spraying magnesiumchlorid dissolved in water on skin and let it enter. or to drink. i just ordered some kilos from bkk. if you want any of that contact me. hard to get otherwise.

* get your vit d3 level up, its the sun-vitamin and taken routinely by scandinavians in winter to lighten up their moods. take high doses

* zinc (best in orotate form) will help too to get your nerve chemistry back in order

* drink a few spoons of virgin coconut oil daily

* drink jiaogulan tea

* get yourself a cheap blender (mine cost 650 baht and is working well) and do your own cucumber-pinapple-ginger-garlic-mint smoothies at home, soak the cucumbers in bakingpowder water for 20min before so the loads of pesticides thais use in farming get withdrawn.

* eat less in general and consider starting a no/low carb diet. i am having the best experience with it. once your metabolism is transformed into ketogenic its a different world you live in.

well, these are just some of the easy to do things i would recommend and have tried myself with great success.

all the best!

• Like 2

Try to see how life from a different prospective from the one you have now would be, we are all different and everyone is living his very own life's adventure here.

Learn from others what it could make your life better, help others in having a better life too.

Find your balance with nature, try to understand it and you will see how fashinating just that could be.

Every one is unique and even the worse of the worst have some qualities, you just have to discover them and give them the value they deserve

get reborn as cockroaches or "bathroom" insects in general. so, no thats not a good solution.

If you reborn as a Beatle i don't see that as necessarily "bad luck" biggrin.png

• Like 1

Just remember you will have better days, this sounds like on of the worst, so suffer it out.

Try to do some artworks, even if you have no skills, like painting, poetry...

Try to help our someone or something for a good cause, get the focus off of yourself.

Get away from digital devices and information overload

Get outdoors and in survival mode like even a camping trip somewhere

Don't expect much from yourself and most of all...

Don't suffer alone, its like having a broken leg without a caste, go see different doctors until you like one, get some sort of theropy, even though your agaist meds ( i don't blame you) you have to look at your options if your a rock bottom.

I believe most of us get depressed one way or another.

It all depends on how we cope with.

We all handle things different.

Try all the thing we get suggested and find out what works for each one.

Hope problem solved.

Helodolly is correct about the chemical imbalance. So there is value in pushing yourself to understand that the problem is chemical and your actually quite fine. Difficult, but worth trying.

You should get professional advice but only from a qualified person (there are many people, in all counties, who think they are expert about this important and difficult subject but in reality have no real knowledge at all, and could even cause harm).

Good advice is to get out of the house, do something, just walk, engage shopkeepers in some polite conversation, it helps.

Good luck.

Good advice is to get out of the house

Agree with this. And you could walk around in the local markets and observe that there are people with no arms or legs (sometime both) blind etc. trying to get a few coins from passersby. That might help you to realize that you are actually better off than some people.