Sunrise Tacos 2Nd Rd. Now Open!

SunriseTacos

Having eaten in Sunrise once, sorry but never again. I have a major objection to places addind 10 plus 7 percent to the bill. Basically it it is a rip on the numerically deficient in the society --- and lets face it, there are many of these people. It's okay for me, I can calculate these numbers in my head, and can also afford it. Just a point of principle ---- does anybody remember principles.

I wasn't charged 10 plus 7 at the food truck unless it was already factored into the prices. Also, someone said the servers were staring while he ate they did this too and it made me uncomfortable. Could be because we were the only customers but I still didn't like it even though I am used to being stared at here for whatever reason.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 pages of comments would be good publicity for your business, I would think. coffee1.gif

It'll certainly get YOUR post count up!!!

For what purpose? coffee1.gif

(Is there a cash per post policy that nobody has made me aware of?!? Heck I don't even get free guacamole or even half off guacamole!)angry.png

There's many that ask the same question.

• Like 1

How about some fun off season promotions?

One idea. GUACAMOLE DAY. One day a week other than the taco days, offer any guacamole order, full order or add to taco or burrito for HALF off?

Yes, sorry, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the price for guac at your joint to be off the charts.

Fair point. Let me respond. We buy racks of avacodos and each fruit is approximately 43 baht. But not every box yields 100%, about 95% usuable. We then add some tomato, onion, salt, lime (which you know is now much more expensive). On top of this we have overhead - ordering admin, kitchen labor, dish washing, wait staff, AC, electric, etc. We sell a dish of Guac at 90 baht if I am not wrong. Even at 90 baht, there is likely nothing left. We do it more as a service. Some mexican places in Pattaya don't even offer it due to the headaches involved.

Best,

Gil

That's informative. Well, I tried. coffee1.gif

I'm probably pushing it here, but what the heck, here goes, so in a guac addition for a burrito (90 baht) how many cados in such a portion? (One half?)

Yes, I get you're a profit seeking business ... and I think we all know food costs are only a portion of what all restaurants need to charge. The idea here though was a PROMOTION day to drive traffic, as after all people won't just be ordering the guac ...

So if you got 50 more covers that special day, and made less profit per head than you would have if they had all ordered full price guac (when in reality most would not order any guac at the regular price), wouldn't that still be a benefit for the biz?

If I got 50 more covers that day, I would easily do 2 for 1 guacamole or something similar. Are there really that many GUAC fans out there? If so, let me know, and I will arrange that day!

I am looking forward at vegetarian burrito with uncooked beans and no taste at all, i have never eaten such a bad burrito in my life, thank you, i will order 2 every day

I've never had a problem with uncooked beans at Sunrise and I've tried all their varieties of beans.

When we first opened months ago, 1 plate went out with slightly uncooked beans. A very nice customer informed me, and I and all of my cook staff tasted / tested. Bingo, he was correct. From then on, all line staff test the beans daily. I will check it again today to re confirm, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Gil

Having eaten in Sunrise once, sorry but never again. I have a major objection to places addind 10 plus 7 percent to the bill. Basically it it is a rip on the numerically deficient in the society --- and lets face it, there are many of these people. It's okay for me, I can calculate these numbers in my head, and can also afford it. Just a point of principle ---- does anybody remember principles.

Also, someone said the servers were staring while he ate they did this too and it made me uncomfortable. Could be because we were the only customers but I still didn't like it even though I am used to being stared at here for whatever reason.

I have seen this behavior even in the restaurant from some staff. Alas, Thais have a higher threshold for staring than foreigners, and actually can't recognize their own behavior. At one point in the restaurant, there were 5 staff standing directly in front of table with one poor chap trying to down his taco as quickly as possible in order to get the hell out of there. I blew up, and scattered the staff in all directions with a nasty bit of Thai. I think the truck staff now also need to be shaken. I will handle this today, thank you for the information. I HATE this aspect of Thailand. Ever try to walk into a shopping mall in Thailand and browse casually?? Its like they come up behind you, and stalk you. At Home Pro, they will actually follow you from the front door entrance aaaaaallllll the way back to the back of the store. It freaks me out.

• Like 1

I am looking forward at vegetarian burrito with uncooked beans and no taste at all, i have never eaten such a bad burrito in my life, thank you, i will order 2 every day

I've never had a problem with uncooked beans at Sunrise and I've tried all their varieties of beans.

When we first opened months ago, 1 plate went out with slightly uncooked beans. A very nice customer informed me, and I and all of my cook staff tasted / tested. Bingo, he was correct. From then on, all line staff test the beans daily. I will check it again today to re confirm, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Gil

Having a hard time imagining our members biting into uncooked beans without subsequently demanding payment for broken false teeth and bridges.

How about some fun off season promotions?

One idea. GUACAMOLE DAY. One day a week other than the taco days, offer any guacamole order, full order or add to taco or burrito for HALF off?

Yes, sorry, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the price for guac at your joint to be off the charts.

Fair point. Let me respond. We buy racks of avacodos and each fruit is approximately 43 baht. But not every box yields 100%, about 95% usuable. We then add some tomato, onion, salt, lime (which you know is now much more expensive). On top of this we have overhead - ordering admin, kitchen labor, dish washing, wait staff, AC, electric, etc. We sell a dish of Guac at 90 baht if I am not wrong. Even at 90 baht, there is likely nothing left. We do it more as a service. Some mexican places in Pattaya don't even offer it due to the headaches involved.

Best,

Gil

That's informative. Well, I tried. coffee1.gif

I'm probably pushing it here, but what the heck, here goes, so in a guac addition for a burrito (90 baht) how many cados in such a portion? (One half?)

Yes, I get you're a profit seeking business ... and I think we all know food costs are only a portion of what all restaurants need to charge. The idea here though was a PROMOTION day to drive traffic, as after all people won't just be ordering the guac ...

So if you got 50 more covers that special day, and made less profit per head than you would have if they had all ordered full price guac (when in reality most would not order any guac at the regular price), wouldn't that still be a benefit for the biz?

If I got 50 more covers that day, I would easily do 2 for 1 guacamole or something similar. Are there really that many GUAC fans out there? If so, let me know, and I will arrange that day!

Well, the only way you could find out is to TRY IT. Announce it here and put signs on the tables and better yet in the window ... and see. How many extra covers do you reckon you get for Taco days ( which aren't promoted all that well ...)?

BTW, another poster complained about the white sauce that was served on top of his non-customized off the menu vegetarian burrito (probably on lettuce). While I haven't had a veggie burrito there, I am assuming it is the same white sauce that is slathered on side lettuce salads served with burritos/tacos, etc. I think that sauce is rather horrible, sorry, and definitely not Mexican, Tex Mex, or Any Mex. What is it? Salad cream? I originally thought he was talking about sour cream on top, but now I realize he probably meant the salad dressing. That could mess up the total flavor of a burrito if served on top. It's not a big issue with side salads; if you hate the white dressing, you just don't eat it.

As far as uncooked beans, well of course mishaps happen in ALL restaurants! When you get a bad one, you're helping the restaurant by complaining. Of course, bad restaurants don't care or won't fix it, but don't assume that until you try. In that spirit, I should say there are sometimes some issues with the fillings of burritos/tacos being put in there obviously unheated, such as meat and beans. Not bad enough to send back, but that could be done better and more consistently.

Edited by Jingthing

Any white sauce on our burrito is not salad dressing. Its a suiza sauce, with melted cheese on top. The same sauce that goes into our chicken enchiladas. You can request not to have it of course, or even to swap it with John's hot, or a nice tomato ranchero sauce (which I like). Or, even our Sunrise salsa. All salsas of course, are also on the free salsa bar.

One of the biggest struggles that I had when opening was, trying to keep customers strictly to the menu. I was always battling my staff who were "blowing up my kitchen" with strange requests. I have now realized I was wrong, and everyone has their own preference. If you special order something, make sure the server understands, and give us a bit more time. We'll get it right!

• Like 1

We are also now handing out 1 basket of free chips per table. The reason we did not do this before was, our tortilla machine was a bit flaky (no pun intended). I was afraid of the machine going down, and not having tortillas (that's like a gas station with no gas). Our machine is stable now, so we have just recently started this up. Giving our free chips results in much faster food turnover too, meaning our chips, nachos, tortillas will be much fresher.

Best,

Gil

• Like 1

Great news about the chips on the table!drunk.gif Thanks for doing that. It will be much appreciated by your customers, I'm sure.

Also, thanks for the clarification about the white sauce sometimes found on generic menu burritos.

I've never tried your suiza sauce so no comment about it.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the hovering issue is a sign of a good staff trying too hard.

I did notice the hovering in the earlier days of the restaurant. Yes, very annoying, but I've seen worse. Haven't noticed that lately. It's uncanny when it happens though. Staring back at Thai staff doesn't seem to give the hint at all to stop it. Also in stores, I have tried playing hide and seek, but they still go on the chase.

Totally agree with you!

I found the place exceedingly poor value for money and the food was certainly nothing to write home about.

Yeah, horrible value! Massive included salsa bar including fruit ones (so desserts included ha ha). Now free chips on the table. They were already offering side chips with many menu items. Taco all you can eat two days a week, pie included. Never has coffee1.gif getting raped (in the wallet) been so ... delicious!

The food is not for writing home. It is for eating.

Look, if you live in east LA and are coming to Pattaya for two weeks, there is no compelling reason to eat any Mexican food, anywhere in Thailand. Most of us are not in that position.

Come on, now, the plus plus thing has been done to death. Some people boycott plus plus places just for that, some don't. You already know who you are. Pretty much everyone reading this forum knows Sunrise is plus plus, you know going in, so why beat a dead horse?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Assure me at the mobile wagon no 10% S/C and 7% vat. It would be a good idea if you want the expat business that you drop it in Jomtiem also. Resident expats that get stuck with those additional charges know that that is a tourist rip off charge but no Expat living here, especially from PCEC or PEC and the Frugal Freddy group would return to a restaurant that stuck them with that additional charge.

Any white sauce on our burrito is not salad dressing. Its a suiza sauce, with melted cheese on top. The same sauce that goes into our chicken enchiladas. You can request not to have it of course, or even to swap it with John's hot, or a nice tomato ranchero sauce (which I like). Or, even our Sunrise salsa. All salsas of course, are also on the free salsa bar.

One of the biggest struggles that I had when opening was, trying to keep customers strictly to the menu. I was always battling my staff who were "blowing up my kitchen" with strange requests. I have now realized I was wrong, and everyone has their own preference. If you special order something, make sure the server understands, and give us a bit more time. We'll get it right!

Ok I appreciate you accept my criticism, i know it is not easy but I guess you know how to deal with customers, I just love taco bell, in Los Angeles, venice area, I lived there quite a whole have local burrito shops, they only packed dough, loaded with beans paste and some chilisauce in small packets! and people went bonkers!!!!

It was that simple, and around 100 people were standing in line!! Simple burrito, dont serve cooked beans, make a paste with it, and your burrito is dry, hell dry, you should make it moist

I hope you do this, hard beans half cooked is not fun, it happend to me twice, just copy the taco bell franchise, not to exact engridients, but people are crazy about taco bells, i am not hearing they are crazy about sunrise tacos

i will try again, hopefully you make some change

Edited by radiola

We are also now handing out 1 basket of free chips per table. The reason we did not do this before was, our tortilla machine was a bit flaky (no pun intended). I was afraid of the machine going down, and not having tortillas (that's like a gas station with no gas). Our machine is stable now, so we have just recently started this up. Giving our free chips results in much faster food turnover too, meaning our chips, nachos, tortillas will be much fresher.

Best,

Gil

The chips are awesome. Great for scooping up the refried beans and rice.

this is not intended as a vindication of ST policy and certainly not a recommendation of their food but personally i do not give a jot about ++

it does not dictate where i eat, i eat where the foods consistently good regardless of ++

i have had more bad meals at restaurants that don't ++ than do

personally i would rather pay more by any method, than waste money on poor food, poor service and go home angry & dissapointed

I think the hovering issue is a sign of a good staff trying too hard.

I did notice the hovering in the earlier days of the restaurant. Yes, very annoying, but I've seen worse. Haven't noticed that lately. It's uncanny when it happens though. Staring back at Thai staff doesn't seem to give the hint at all to stop it. Also in stores, I have tried playing hide and seek, but they still go on the chase.

Retail shopping in Thailand, for anyone sensitive about being followed around, is frankly an unpleasant experience. Some of my clothes are 8 years old because of it. Either that, or I am just like my Dad who wore some of his clothes for 20 years +. LOL. What is it about old people and clothes??

Gil

Assure me at the mobile wagon no 10% S/C and 7% vat. It would be a good idea if you want the expat business that you drop it in Jomtiem also. Resident expats that get stuck with those additional charges know that that is a tourist rip off charge but no Expat living here, especially from PCEC or PEC and the Frugal Freddy group would return to a restaurant that stuck them with that additional charge.

Stuck them with a tourist rip off additional charge?

Nonsense. Gils not scamming tourists or anybody.

The pricing is spelled out on the menu.

I know exactly what the prices are when I dine there.

You take the menu item price, add service and tax. Wa La. That's the price!

Now you know.

Stuck them with a tourist rip off additional charge?

Nonsense. Gils not scamming tourists or anybody.

The pricing is spelled out on the menu.

I know exactly what the prices are when I dine there.

You take the menu item price, add service and tax. Wa La. That's the price!

Now you know.

YOU know, but there's many tourists I suspect do not.

Like tourists in US that are surprised by State taxes added onto the displayed price of stuff. Locals know, tourists don't.

Edited by PattayaParent

Realistically, his franchise agreement probably determines the pricing policy. I hate it also though and see nothing wrong with pointing that out whenever the opportunity arises. Perhaps it will influence someone, somewhere......:)

Why not list the actual amount payable and note on the menue that the prices are inclusive of tax and service charge? Seems to work for just about anyone else and is a legal requirement in Europe and ironically Mexico!

Edited by Oink

this is not intended as a vindication of ST policy and certainly not a recommendation of their food but personally i do not give a jot about ++

it does not dictate where i eat, i eat where the foods consistently good regardless of ++

i have had more bad meals at restaurants that don't ++ than do

personally i would rather pay more by any method, than waste money on poor food, poor service and go home angry & dissapointed

Well, that's a new one. I think there are great places with no ++ and great places with ++, and there is no logical correlation between ++ policy and food quality. I avoid ++ if I can, but for a place like Sunrise that is offering a unique style of Mexican food for this market, can't avoid. Edited by Jingthing