Suvarnabhumi Airport Urges Travelers To Check In 3-4 Hours Before Departure

webfact

So most airports in any normal country dealing with international travel require a 2 hour window for check in.

(Now remeber a few years back - The Birdie Coffe Commercials as it was about to open! - Suvarnhabumi - "Pride Of Thailand") Here is an international airport - maybe even a "HUB" so to speak, that because of an increase in 10% of travellers, now wants to increase check in times by 100%................give me a break, these people couldn't figure out how to have a piss up in a brewery!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, the travellers must suffer for their mismanagement and incompetence.

Not sure I can agree with you in this case. I have previously started threads about queues and long waiting times, and have contributed to many more, so I know the scenario. However, the man is giving fair warning about the holiday period expected delays, so what can you blame him for?

blaming him for not changing the system at all,they don't care the passengers at all,the staff is untrained,they check a passport 20 times only because they are afraid to make a mistake or they not really sure what to do,in the age of biometric passports,a check should not take a longer than 15 seconds,stamp the passport and of we go,not so in thailand,3-5 minutes for every passenger,incompetence and mismanagement + mix of stupidity and that famous losing face culture[afraid to make a mistake]these are the right terms,maybe would be also great to over think their crazy visa rules,non o non b non ed,tourist reenter tourist 30+30,re entry permit,thats all crazy,or what about the s..t with arrival and departure cards,absolute nonsense,whoever check if u really stay in this or that hotel and bla bla,why hv to fill out where u got ur visa from and how long its valid,they can see that in the passport,they don't want to change anything,and they give a shit u stand there 2 or 3 hours,and do not tell me if i don't like it 'dont come here'thats not a solution,just another way to run away from the problem. just a simple way to ease the problem for songkran,,passengers from ASEAN member states could use the Thai counter,but of course they don't want that,because they want to show u how small u r,and how important and superior Thai citizen are

Last time my wife and I returned from Cambodia I got through imagration faster than she did. She went through the Thai line with her Thai passport.

Let's suppose for one minute that enough of us refuse to check-in more than 2 hours prior to departure, do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs?

Your getting to the airport late is not reason for a refund nor are lines at the airport or traffic getting to the airport reasons for a refund. So, why would an airlines wait, at their expense and the expense of others, for you when they won't lose a dime for your purposeful lateness? Obviously you haven't flown in the US during holidays like Thanksgiving ... and I am not even talking international flights.

Er, I am not talking about getting late to airport due to traffic....that is my fault.

I am talking about this: I am in line and checked in 2 hours before flight. Then I am delayed in getting to departure gate due to madness at immigration. See the difference?

As for "purposeful lateness", I view it as "reasonable check-in time". As I said, if you are not willing to lose a flight then by all means go to airport 4 or 5 hours before flight departs. But I never have and am always boarded on the flight. Maybe one day I will be booted off whilst I am queuing at immigration, but the day has not come yet.

And I predict it never will come. Flights in Thailand are always held up for passengers who are late in boarding. It happens all the time. I would be willing to bet that arriving at the airport one hour before the flight would result in the passenger catching the plane 100% of the time. And as you say, two hours before departure is a reasonable time to arrive.

The US is a different story altogether, but T.I.T.

Never had a problem with arriving two hours before take off time here in Chiang Mai

NO! We pay you, not you pay us! Stop this Thai rhetoric Immigration.

Get more Thai Immigration Staff! Full stop! But 100 x 0 is still 0.

Why should people check in 3-4hrs if they only have a 1 hr flight? Get real!

Agreed, This airport from day one--AT WHAT COST--has been a complete disaster, all these events are not hick-ups it is just simple not knowing how to run an airport. from day 1, taxi mafia-scams-king power monopoly, scanners scam-ground preparations to carry heavy weights-RUNWAYS.... mega money changed hands and cheap charlie construction, air con problems at immigration-lack of staff- no direct transport to connect Don-M.airport. overcapacity now ??? in how many years, in all departments a sorry state of planning. THEY WANT tourists here ___it is a JOKE. they do not deserve them, TAT......AOT.....THAI Airways. Now this ridiculous set up at immigration, it's about correct numbers of staff-that are properly trained for the job. All these smiles excuses--and it's ok are not on. When you go through imigation you want it as quick as possible, as you are paying for the job being done swiftly, when that is accomplished THEN you can smile and say thanks. Do not forget impressions that are good will make you return again.

Ok... Regarding Immigration. Let's increase airport tax to 1200THB, use the extra 500 for more staff at the immigration counters and performance bonuses. There's so much 'wasted' Tourist money around here, the extra 500 THB won't hurt.

Thailand is truly on it's way to become a real incompetent country. Next stop for the tourists that have to wait a few hours will be Yangon. Things have change but not so in bureaucratic circles. The old cows in those ranks still think that Cambodia, Vietnam and Burma have nothing to offer.

Hahaha. What a bunch of whiners, how many of your are actually flying anywhere in the next few days?

Checking In and going through immigration are two different things.

Hmmm. Let's see. From the article....

Therefore, he advises all passengers to allow some extra time for check-in and going through the immigration process.

Since noone ever seems to complain about long check in lines, by the amazing process of deduction, that leaves only immigration as the bottle neck. The airport director mentioning check-in was just a bit of face saving. To the best of my knowledge, airlines will open more check in stations if they become crowded. I do not believe this concept has caught on with immigration..... :-)

• Like 1

Hahaha. What a bunch of whiners, how many of your are actually flying anywhere in the next few days?

Checking In and going through immigration are two different things.

Hmmm. Let's see. From the article....

Therefore, he advises all passengers to allow some extra time for check-in and going through the immigration process.

Since noone ever seems to complain about long check in lines, by the amazing process of deduction, that leaves only immigration as the bottle neck. The airport director mentioning check-in was just a bit of face saving. To the best of my knowledge, airlines will open more check in stations if they become crowded. I do not believe this concept has caught on with immigration..... :-)

So, they are disrupting the lives of all the domestic travelers with this warning just so they don't lose some face with some international travelers .. when in fact a common theme here is they don't even care about international travelers???

Why not just take it on face value that it is simply a reminder to people to get to the airport early due to the increased number of travelers? No big conspiracy going on here, just a heads-up reminder to all traveling during this period. Though not sure why they bother given so many of the responses here.

Edited by Nisa

NO! We pay you, not you pay us! Stop this Thai rhetoric Immigration.

Get more Thai Immigration Staff! Full stop! But 100 x 0 is still 0.

Why should people check in 3-4hrs if they only have a 1 hr flight? Get real!

Agreed, This airport from day one--AT WHAT COST--has been a complete disaster, all these events are not hick-ups it is just simple not knowing how to run an airport. from day 1, taxi mafia-scams-king power monopoly, scanners scam-ground preparations to carry heavy weights-RUNWAYS.... mega money changed hands and cheap charlie construction, air con problems at immigration-lack of staff- no direct transport to connect Don-M.airport. overcapacity now ??? in how many years, in all departments a sorry state of planning. THEY WANT tourists here ___it is a JOKE. they do not deserve them, TAT......AOT.....THAI Airways. Now this ridiculous set up at immigration, it's about correct numbers of staff-that are properly trained for the job. All these smiles excuses--and it's ok are not on. When you go through imigation you want it as quick as possible, as you are paying for the job being done swiftly, when that is accomplished THEN you can smile and say thanks. Do not forget impressions that are good will make you return again.

Ok... Regarding Immigration. Let's increase airport tax to 1200THB, use the extra 500 for more staff at the immigration counters and performance bonuses. There's so much 'wasted' Tourist money around here, the extra 500 THB won't hurt.

Airport tax.how many more taxes do you want to add ??? Let AOT subsidize that---or rip off overcharging monopoly King Power. the simple fact is as my previous post said---this is a new modern airport to give at least 10 years of passenger scope without problems---sorry did I say without problems----if its busy call in the extra immigration--no leave at holiday periods. Is that difficult, you dont have 1 check out in a very busy shop---you open up more to relieve the pressure---but Thailand cannot do that --or won't because they are asked to man up. They have enough immigration ---sod to all those that are spending their holiday money-----MAN up then the check in time needn't be altered .

• Like 1

Normally the check-in counters open 3 hours before departure

I recently departed on March 15, went 3hours ahead but the ticket counter wasn't open yet. The flight was on All NIppon

(contracted to Thai airway ground agents), I guess it will depend on the time of departure as well as the time of the day.

As usual, the travellers must suffer for their mismanagement and incompetence.

Not sure I can agree with you in this case. I have previously started threads about queues and long waiting times, and have contributed to many more, so I know the scenario. However, the man is giving fair warning about the holiday period expected delays, so what can you blame him for?

blaming him for not changing the system at all,they don't care the passengers at all,the staff is untrained,they check a passport 20 times only because they are afraid to make a mistake or they not really sure what to do,in the age of biometric passports,a check should not take a longer than 15 seconds,stamp the passport and of we go,not so in thailand,3-5 minutes for every passenger,incompetence and mismanagement + mix of stupidity and that famous losing face culture[afraid to make a mistake]these are the right terms,maybe would be also great to over think their crazy visa rules,non o non b non ed,tourist reenter tourist 30+30,re entry permit,thats all crazy,or what about the s..t with arrival and departure cards,absolute nonsense,whoever check if u really stay in this or that hotel and bla bla,why hv to fill out where u got ur visa from and how long its valid,they can see that in the passport,they don't want to change anything,and they give a shit u stand there 2 or 3 hours,and do not tell me if i don't like it 'dont come here'thats not a solution,just another way to run away from the problem. just a simple way to ease the problem for songkran,,passengers from ASEAN member states could use the Thai counter,but of course they don't want that,because they want to show u how small u r,and how important and superior Thai citizen are

Last time my wife and I returned from Cambodia I got through imagration faster than she did. She went through the Thai line with her Thai passport.

It's about planing.Im just a stupid foreigner,but even I know most flights to Europe[Midle east] leave at night 2200h to 0200,so if I know 15-20 big planes are leaving between 2200-0200am,then me as stupid foreigner might have the idea to send some extra immigration officers to the passport control.Sure if i arrive from PP on 737 at 1500 and maybe a few more planes from Asia arrive,and the Immigration boxes are fully loaded,then it looks like they work very efficient,anyway i said it already before,the whole system sucks,it's not only there are sometimes not enough immigration officers.
  • Like 1

I realize that the article is about the Songkran period but I just want to relate my departure story of last Tuesday.

Arrived at the airport 3 hours before departure time.

Checked in with Air Asia. No line. - 2 minutes.

Went through immigration. - 3 minutes.

Went through security - 3 minutes.

Walked around inside the airport for 2.5 hours.

• Like 2

What is the use doing this , as the airlines check-ins are not following the 3-4 hours early rule?? it shall only fill the airport with crowds waiting to get their boarding pass , as whiteout you can not pass even immigration departure WPFflags.gif

Why are we giving our experiences about it, most know the problem-but Thai are not addressing it-well being aware-or should be aware-are AOT people on holiday ??? whoever is in charge sack him for not being able to fulfill his position and act accordingly. Welcome to MIRACLE Thailand---TAT it is half your problem for not shouting at AOT- immigration.

this is thailand....if you don't like imcompetence, mismanagement, arrogance, racism, xenophobia, aggression, dishonesty, dangerous traffic, violence to foreigners, scams, cheating and lies....DON"T COME!

Are you sure? I didn't read any of that,on ToT Brochureswai.gif

• Like 1

Went through yesterday for a 12.30 (luchtime) departure, they now have got people directing you from the line to the next available desk I was through there in less the 2 minutes, I actually got through quicker than my wife using her Thai passport, I was so impressed I had to comment to a senior officer sitting behind the desks, she thanked me for telling her.

Why go through differently from your wife? I always go through the Thai channel with my GF. Go through just in front of her and there`s not a problem, and that covers arriving and leaving. Done it many times.

this is thailand....if you don't like imcompetence, mismanagement, arrogance, racism, xenophobia, aggression, dishonesty, dangerous traffic, violence to foreigners, scams, cheating and lies....DON"T COME!

Unfortunately, EVERYONE who comes here for the first time and many people who have only been a few times, are not yet privy to such information. To them it's still the land of smiles where everyone greets them with a wai and will invite them into their homes to share what little food they have with them.

One usually does not understand what is really going on here until after being here a little while and the rose tinted glasses you are wearing are stolen from the safe in your hotel.

Wonder how many of the complainers use the airport frequently. I do and I prefer BKK intl. when comparing it with LHR or FRA. Since they introduced full body scans in front of each gate my sympathy for AMS is way down. I did not count but I'm certain that I passed Suvarnabhumi more than 150 times and usually it's pretty eventless. There's even a King Power selling cans of Singha for 60 Thb airside (lobby level) if one needs to kill some time. I dislike lots of things in LOS but the airport is not on that list. Nobody forces me to use duty free, AOT limo services, overpriced restaurants etc. And yes, sometimes immigration takes long but so it does in LHR, in LAX, SFO, in AMS and even in HKG. Take a boat if you can't accept peak hours/seasons at airports. Beer time now. ...

I worked in Saudi Arabia for a good 8 years and remember being treated like a 3rd class citizen waiting to get through passport control. If anyone has been to this country, they would understand the arrogance and stupidity of the locals working there. Truthfully, they didn't need us for tourism so didn't need to put on a good "image"...all the expats were there to work for them...from the Western doctors, and electrical engineerd down to the poor little Pakistani that would sweep their streets. The airports at Saudi were the worse "PR" tool they could ever have for a country. I do not expect Thailand who wants tourists to visit their wonderful country to lower themselves such as the poor service one would get at a Saudi airport.

Edited by toenail

Remember those pizza/fast food places that used to post signs 'if not served in 15 minutes of order, meal is free'? They never took down the signs at holidays/busy peroids, they added more staff or the manager/s got in and got dirty. The manager/s were quickly replaced if they could not handle the job.

In the US it was 30-minutes (Domino's) and there were restrictions and they ended up doing away with it because it costs them millions in settlements for accidents and a big public perception that their drivers were not safe and responsible for deaths and accidents.

Remember those pizza/fast food places that used to post signs 'if not served in 15 minutes of order, meal is free'? They never took down the signs at holidays/busy peroids, they added more staff or the manager/s got in and got dirty. The manager/s were quickly replaced if they could not handle the job.

In the US it was 30-minutes (Domino's) and there were restrictions and they ended up doing away with it because it costs them millions in settlements for accidents and a big public perception that their drivers were not safe and responsible for deaths and accidents.

I do remember that and recall seeing more than one Domino's driver driving fast and recklessly presumably to meet the 30 minute deadline.

I do remember that and recall seeing more than one Domino's driver driving fast and recklessly presumably to meet the 30 minute deadline.

That is all we need at airports .. security procedures that put whining foreign tourists concerns first over security. After the terrorist bombs went off in BKK a month or so ago, didn't they nab one of the guys hours later trying to leave the country through the airport? Another got away (not sure through what route) but if anything sounds like they need to step up security and checks on people at all borders. Interesting is those whining here (acting as though airports around the globe are not incredibly more busy and slower during holidays) are the same one who will scream incompetency when somebody does get out of the country who is wanted.

I typically have the usual departure time on EVA at around 1700. So, I typically leave Pattaya on the 12 or 1300 Bell bus. I have on occasion been there earlier and the EVA desk was not open yet. The same people that work at the upstairs ticketing desk in general then go downstairs to the ticketing desk, at least some do. BUt 3 hours prior to departure is a reasonable time in my opinion for a trip that is flying me half way around the world. I hate rushing through airports as much as I get bored waiting in an airport. But at Swampy, not a bad idea to get there early, get ticketed then go downstairs to the left to the cheap place to eat. I just have never seen the long departure lines that recently made the news. had to be a weird confluence of events or times

Yes, it was a 4 months confluence of events or times. Ask regular travelers

Let's suppose for one minute that enough of us refuse to check-in more than 2 hours prior to departure, do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs? Granted some are "nervous travelers" so they'd probably check-in like sheep even 5 hours prior to the flight if "instructed" to do so. But if you are not one of these, then I suggest 2 hours is more than enough...if not, then the onus is on the airlines/airport authorities to find out where the bottlenecks are and resolve them. Most of the people i know and myself usually check-in around the 2 hour mark...never heard of anyone missing the flight as a result of this. I send my guests off to airport so they are there 2 hours before departure and NOT ONE has missed their flight yet! And neither have I. So I respectfully reply to Mr Somchai at the airport to start rostering on more staff, manage the passenger flow better and perhaps ensure more counters are open...instead of inconveniencing the PAYING CUSTOMERS !!!!jap.gif

This is misinformation; pure & simple. Passengers definitely HAVE missed their flights due to long lines at Suv. Another case of someone extrapolating their own personal experience/anecodote into universal truth... I'm not saying to show up 5 hrs early or to not show up 5 hours early. I'm ALSO not saying that doing so will necessarily prevent you from missing a flight. (You've got to check-in; check-in counters open when they open & take as long as they take; THEN you get to start the line through security & immigration.) Make your own call (and deal with the consequences). I'm just saying that you're deluded if you think it can't happen to you. 'Luck of the draw. You can breeze right through to the gate with no delays at all. If you're unlucky you can be the first one in line when your flight's check-in counter opens, and still find yourself having to jump the immo line in order to make your flight.

Edited by hawker9000